Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New app from klevgrand.reamp.

Comments

• @brice said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    I love it, I bought it, it sounds great, and I have no idea what to do with it. :#

Put it on every track / stem / mix bus and / or the master in your sessions to add beneficial saturation (harmonics). That’s one use. Really, saturation is almost always a critical component in the creation of great sounding mixes.

Thank you Brice, I‘ll follow your advice as soon as I dare to change from Gagdet to another DAW.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@brice said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    I love it, I bought it, it sounds great, and I have no idea what to do with it. :#

Put it on every track / stem / mix bus and / or the master in your sessions to add beneficial saturation (harmonics). That’s one use. Really, saturation is almost always a critical component in the creation of great sounding mixes.

Although I have to say the digital imitations never sound quite right when listened to repeatedly, definitely worth paying for the real thing.

No question about it. But, if limited to just this device, this app is definitely a welcome tool.

• edited December 2018

@Samu said:
    Regarding the tune is it this one?

Nice example but not the one I really liked. It just sounded so real by implementing pitch bends like Jan Hammer did not his Moog to sound like a guitar player.

It was called JIMI.MOD and it had a similar guitar quality to that tracker file. The DAS_BOOT film theme was also well done in a MOD/TRACKER file.

Thomas Dolby started a company using the ideas of a sample-based music engine called "Headspace" and it was licensed for use in the Java Virtual Machines by Sun Microsystems. It never took off but the file size for reasonable quality instrumental music playback was an idea made irrelevant as dial-up gave way to multi-MB Internet options.

• @McDtracy said:

Thomas Dolby started a company using the ideas of a sample-based music engine called "Headspace" and it was licensed for use in the Java Virtual Machines by Sun Microsystems. It never took off but the file size for reasonable quality instrumental music playback was an idea made irrelevant as dial-up gave way to multi-MB Internet options.

Lol, I remember the Headspace app which I found on some HotLine server back in the days ;)

• @Samu said:
    Lol, I remember the Headspace app which I found on some HotLine server back in the days ;)

Does this trigger anything for you? "Fred Fish Disks" for Amiga

• @McDtracy said:

@Samu said:

Does this trigger anything for you? "Fred Fish Disks" for Amiga

Had quite a few of those too hehe...
    One the 'curriers'(He ran a BBS) for The Silents owned at one of the local shops...

I bought my extra ram and floppy-drive and media from the store and let's just say there was no problem getting software back in those days LOL.

• Is this an Amiga emulator ?

• @Turntablist said:
    Is this an Amiga emulator ?

Nope, Sorry for OT Blabber...

The AUv3 plug-in is an amp-simulator/saturator.
    It sounds very nice and brings back memories of overdriving the A/D of lo-fi samplers :)

• @Turntablist said:
    Is this an Amiga emulator ?

Apologies... there is a Discord AudioBus Forum "chat" server.
    This happens lot with a Forum site and some hate it and some like the spontaneous conversations that "erupt".

The saving grace is that opening any thread starts on comment #1 and you can stop at any time. Anyone following the thread will get sent back into the conversation where they last left the thread. That's cool.

But someone will ask? What does this have to do with the Title? Fair enough.

Is the Klevgrand Reamp a must have? Discuss.

• edited December 2018

I don't think there is any such thing as a "must have" - we are all making our own music in our own style. Even if we were all given standard equipment - same models, same makes - we'd all manage to do different things. There was a great article on the photography site 'petapixel' a while ago with lots of examples of 'cliched' shots - person in front of sunset that kind of thing - and even then they were all wildly different.

For me - yes this was a thing I was missing so was an insta-buy. Even when my intentions are pure - "I'll make a really clean mix today" I find myself thinking "this is too clean" and layering crust and grime on it - my go to on the laptop is SoundToys decapacitator (however you spell that) and Klevgrand Cassette (turn all the settings up to high, mix down to ~70% and the input gain up - just adds a lovely warmth and some 'grime' :-) )

• @pagefall said:

I don't think there is any such thing as a "must have" - we are all making our own music in our own style. Even if we were all given standard equipment - same models, same makes - we'd all manage to do different things. There was a great article on the photography site 'petapixel' a while ago with lots of examples of 'cliched' shots - person in front of sunset that kind of thing - and even then they were all wildly different.

For me - yes this was a thing I was missing so was an insta-buy. Even when my intentions are pure - "I'll make a really clean mix today" I find myself thinking "this is too clean" and layering crust and grime on it - my go to on the laptop is SoundToys decapacitator (however you spell that) and Klevgrand Cassette (turn all the settings up to high, mix down to ~70% and the input gain up - just adds a lovely warmth and some 'grime' :-) )

I never think something is too clean but I'm attracted to tube warmness. It's a special case of distortion for sure. My quick method of controlling that excessive high frequency sound of Integrated Circuit amplification is to add very slow LFO Phaser.

For the variety of pre-amp/amp models captured here I should get it and compare to the Amps in ToneStack which also has Bass and Jazz Chorus amp models beyond the guitar distortions you'd associate with a Guitar FX App.

I just need to recover from the Black Friday bingeing.

• Can anyone comment if using Cassette deck mode can get you a Boards of Canada style sounding synth similar to how you can achieve that sound with DAW Cassette? I’d rather buy this app if you can get that lofi BOC synth sound. Thanks

• Ok, ok - I caved. Klevgrand's been on such a roll lately, I couldn't resist. Didn't get much for Black Friday either, so I feel LESS guilty about this.

• I have used Tonestack to get some of these types of saturation and dirt.
    I still think I will get this, being AU, and just more compact and streamlined for the single purpose.

I kinda think it looks like Zeeon.

• edited December 2018

@CracklePot Just a/b’d it a little with bias 2 (with cab disabled, feeding both bias and reamp into Fiddlicator + cab impulses). This was by no means an extensive test, but initial impression is this won’t be a 1 for 1 amp modeler alternative for most purposes: expect to need multiple reamp instances with compressors and eqs to get into (realistic) amp like territory. (Which is what one would expect from a general purpose saturation plugin, so no disappointment there.) As a flexible saturation stage with low compression, it sounds very nice and the harmonics feature has a lot of potential so this will be seeing use from me.

• @ohwell said:
    @CracklePot Just a/b’d it a little with bias 2 (with cab disabled, feeding both bias and reamp into Fiddlicator + cab impulses). This was by no means an extensive test, but initial impression is this won’t be a 1 for 1 amp modeler alternative for most purposes: expect to need multiple reamp instances with compressors and eqs to get into (realistic) amp like territory. (Which is what one would expect from a general purpose saturation plugin, so no disappointment there.) As a flexible saturation stage with low compression, it sounds very nice and the harmonics feature has a lot of potential so this will be seeing use from me.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
    I will still use TS for amp sim, but I think this new reamp app should do the trick to dirty up the synths.
    I was waiting patiently for the TS AU update that was mentioned by Yonac a while back, but now I can just get this for saturating and dingifying.
    I still gotta wait to use all those cool TS FX units on everything, though.

• Oh my I missed this earlier today, and seems to be exactly what I needed. Plus, Klevgrand. Expensive day with that other synth coming out, but I know the Klev will deliver.

• The harmonics control is super nice. I suspect the algos aren’t doing that much oversampling to stay cpu efficient - and judging by the sound when it’s set to “full” harmonics. Don’t know how they work internally but the “some” and “few” settings are a nifty workaround! (Even when cascading 6 reamps into one another, on the “few” setting, there are no harsh edges.)

• @Samu said:

@McDtracy said:

@Samu
    You wouldn’t be referring to the AudioMidi Hotline group from back in the ‘90s, would you? I used to spend all day with that crew. Happy memories.

• Checking back to say this is perfect for DI electric guitars. Just enough overdrive without full on distortion. Exactly what I've been needin'. Another A++ from Klevgrand.

• With every recent Klevgrand release I demo on my Mac within whatever Project is current and I think the average time it takes to convince me to buy is under three minutes.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Checking back to say this is perfect for DI electric guitars. Just enough overdrive without full on distortion. Exactly what I've been needin'. Another A++ from Klevgrand.

Gonna have to try that.
    Have you tried it with a DI bass yet?

• @CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Checking back to say this is perfect for DI electric guitars. Just enough overdrive without full on distortion. Exactly what I've been needin'. Another A++ from Klevgrand.

Gonna have to try that.

Nope. I'm a bass player at heart, the only times I've ever made a living off of music I was a bassist, yet I've never in my life owned one.

• @CracklePot

I'm no expert on these things, but I'm fairly certain the bass model used is a vintage Fender (Bassman?) based on their 'Tip'.

From the manual:

Tube Bass Amp
    One of the developers friends dad had an old bass amplifier that we borrowed and profiled. Tip: Run a Fender Jazz bass through it and your neo soul licks will sound just like they’re supposed to.

• @CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

Gonna have to try that.

Threw it on a bass track really quickly last night. It sounded nice, but not with the settings you'd think: 1/4" reel tape sounded less woofy than the bass DI. This is definitely a subtle effect in the same way as GotoEQ

• edited December 2018

I made a drum break in Funk Drummer and ran it through Degrader, the clean tube amp on Reamp with some subtle Kleverb.

It sounded like it was coming out of a late 80s Honda Civic with the trunk rattle and all <3

• edited December 2018

@oat_phipps I really wonder what kind of “modeling” of a bassman they are doing Eg, is it just the characteristics of the saturation, and maybe a little bit of frequency response? (To my ears the input to output volume response of reamp on the guitar settings is way more linear/less compressed than more realistic tube amp modelers. But maybe I’m wrong. What’s your take?)

I’m very curious about what kind of workaround the few and some harmonics settings use to avoid harsh aliasing artifacts without extreme amounts of oversampling (like Kazrog - their 32x oversampling settings usually have no noticeable aliasing artifacts to my ears, but it’s an extremely cpu hungry solution). Is it anything similar to the airwindows spiral algorithm?

• Since the release of Brusfri I have never been disappointed by any of their apps. Really tempted by this one and will most probably buy it. However, I already own tonestack with all IAP, BIAS Amp, Cassette, Vinyl, and Fabfilter Saturn. Someone, please convince me I really need it (or not)

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@JanKun said:
    Since the release of Brusfri I have never been disappointed by any of their apps. Really tempted by this one and will most probably buy it. However, I already own tonestack with all IAP, BIAS Amp, Cassette, Vinyl, and Fabfilter Saturn. Someone, please convince me I really need it (or not)

Not needed as a replacement for Guitar amp sims. If that’s what you’re after then you may as well stick with what you have.

There are lots of other uses for saturation / distortion plugins though.