Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Worse app performance on a newer iPhone?

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 8, and was anticipating a significant performance increase for my live guitar setup. But alas, it's the case that my setup in AUM on my old 6S actually outperforms the iPhone 8. On the new phone I routinely get DSP spikes over 100%, whereas on my 6S it tends to hover around 50% at all times. Here's a few details on my setup:

• iRig HD2
  • AUM hosting:
  • AUFX Space & Dub
  • Crystalline
  • FAC Chorus
  • RE-1 tape loop

Any ideas why this would be so? Crystalline is an older app, so my theory is that it's the culprit since it hasn't been updated since A12 iOS devices were released.

Comments

• edited December 2018

I’d go the route of adding in one by one to see if it’s a particular app. There are only 5! combinations haha 😂.

I did hear when they first came out that there were some issues with certain iPhone 8’s and their performance. Not to make you paranoid.

I’d also look at turning off Siri and all the other usual battery drain “bells and whistles.” I know I sometimes forget to do this when I download a new app or get a new device.

• Are buffer settings / latency settings the same? Also, you may now be working at 48kHz, which requires somewhat more horsepower.

If you’re not getting crackles, then the meter readings may not be as important as you think. They may not even be accurate.

• Is it crackling in AUM? My iPhone 8 has glitched a fair bit in AUM when using the 3.5 to lightning dongle. Something about new devices forcing 48k. I’ve seen others write about it introducing problems with new devices regardless of CPU power. Might it be something to do with the interface you’re using + AUM + 48k issue? Just a thought.

• I suppose the first logical thing might be to see if you can switch to 48k mode in AUM, see if it fixes anything. If the iRig doesn’t support that sample rate, that might be part of it.

• Are you experiencing audio issues or just seeing the CPU use percentage seeming wonky? The CPU use number is not always meaningful.

• @handed said:
    ... Something about new devices forcing 48k. I’ve seen others write about it introducing problems with new devices regardless of CPU power. Might it be something to do with the interface you’re using + AUM + 48k issue? Just a thought.

If due to some settings an app needs conversion from 44.1 to 48k that process can generate a whooping CPU load (the exact amount depends on quality).
    At least a mismatching samplerate is the most probable source for performace loss.