Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Who wants to test DRC AUv3?

Comments

• Seems like the current AUv3 has slightly better cpu performance than the IAA. Are other testers getting the same result?

@sinosoidal Re price increase: I feel like many of us users are in a bad position to give informed input. Like others, I feel strongly that with auv3 support, DRC’s top of the line sound quality and thoughtful, streamlined UI makes it as valuable as it gets for analogue modeling synths on iOS.

But its very hard to say much about the right price point without knowing and understanding the relevant sales data. Eg the comparison with model D price makes sense from a users point of view. But Moog’s name and their iOS product line make their pricing a game of its own: I’m guessing part of the problem they had was to find a price point that made it feel worth getting for existing model 15 users, while also being in a spot that makes it a gateway product for their synth line. (So in a sense the price might be artificially low for model d.)

One more thought on this pricing issue: I’ve noticed a tendency in the forum for people to closely associate DRC with Zeeon, Volt, Mood and Model D. DRC has the unique appeal of being all platform. But for users that are focused on iOS, the question of whether DRC is worth getting instead of (or on top of) these other synths comes up a lot in people’s minds. IMO your approach of making download free, and requiring users to pay to unlock the engine is the best solution: it allows users to see for themselves.

I’m not sure, but as an extra push, it might be worth thinking about a way to describe the sound and features/UI of DRC that might clarify where it stands relative to those IOS alternatives.

• Pricing is crazy. I waited to get the vancouver gadget ON SALE and it was still 10 bucks. And it is pretty sucky, haven’t used it yet. An au version of drc should easily be at least twice that, but who’s gonna buy it?
    I would pay an in app purchase for it. 5 Bucks maybe?. I bought it before there was much au talk. Of course i don’t currently use it because it’s not au, but will definitely go back to it and am appreciative of the followup support.

• @sinosoidal

I’ve sent you a pm for beta testing could please check it? As an iPhone 7 Plus user using many hosts my feedback could be interesting I suppose :)

• @Janosax said:
    @sinosoidal

I’ve sent you a pm for beta testing could please check it? As an iPhone 7 Plus user using many hosts my feedback could be interesting I suppose :)

Sorry for the lack of response. Crazy week! :neutral:

I will post in no time a new beta. Hopefully, many of the preset management issues reported here are fixed in this build:

• Fixed bug that would cause patches being modified by automations and other events
    • Fixed bug that would prevent from saving in the local bank
    • Fixed bug that would cause awkward behaviours with default patch

Thanks for your feedback and love for DRC, it has been definitely pushing us forward! :blush:

• edited December 2018

@sinosoidal said:

@Janosax said:
    @sinosoidal

I will post in no time a new beta. Hopefully, many of the preset management issues reported here are fixed in this build:

• Fixed bug that would cause patches being modified by automations and other events

Thanks for your feedback and love for DRC, it has been definitely pushing us forward! :blush:

Just saying that you really did a great job also for cpu usage. I just was running 50 instances of DRC with a 4 notes chord and long release with my 5 years old notebook. Amazing!

• @Cib said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Janosax said:
    @sinosoidal

Just saying that you really did a great job also for cpu usage. I just was running 50 instances of DRC with a 4 notes chord and long release with my 5 years old notebook. Amazing!

50? Are you serious?

• edited December 2018

@sinosoidal said:

@Cib said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Janosax said:
    @sinosoidal

50? Are you serious?

At least at 512 buffer :)
    Not that i need so much but i just tested it. Depending on the preset it might be not so much or even more maybe.
    However, it seems good optimized. Oh and the pre-gain is just lovely >:)
    Edit: I just load 100 instances with a mono voice but modulations and also medium release.....and no crackling and cpu overload when trigger them all together. So i might could run 200+ on 1024 buffer. OMG what magic is it??

• There is a pop up every few minutes in the latest beta if i want to buy the full version....

• Preset management is now good - as expected.
    Very well preset handling on more than one devices via cloud.
    Good job.

• Will preset mgt work as expected in NS2?

• @kinkujin said:
    Will preset mgt work as expected in NS2?

So far the 'local' factory bank is scanned thru ny NS2

The rest of the IAP presets etc. can be accessed from within the plug-In.

The Plug-In scales fine in NS2

Full

I don't even use the AU preset browser in NS2 as I'm used to handling that stuff inside the Plug-Ins.

• @Samu said:

@kinkujin said:
    Will preset mgt work as expected in NS2?

So far the 'local' factory bank is scanned thru ny NS2

The rest of the IAP presets etc. can be accessed from within the plug-In.

The Plug-In scales fine in NS2

Full

I don't even use the AU preset browser in NS2 as I'm used to handling that stuff inside the Plug-Ins.

Tested NS2 for the first time yesterday. What a great app! I think I have spent more than one hour making music on iOS for the first time in my life! :smiley:

• I’m still not able to get patch recall on saving a session with Drc. Always seems to load with the same patch.

• @Carnbot said:
    I’m still not able to get patch recall on saving a session with Drc. Always seems to load with the same patch.

Same thing here, always go back to default preset on songs recall in GarageBand. BTW, very nice idea to use keys sliding feature inside GB to do some aftertouch modulation, really great!! B) ;)

• It seems that are many reports of unsaved state. Does it happens consistently? One or multiple instances?

I would like to know which host is patch state being saved correctly and which aren't. I have been testing with Nano Studio 2 and it is definitely working there.

Thanks!

• edited December 2018

This happens consistently with only one instance in GarageBand, AUM, apeMatrix and Audiobus, always switch back to 8-bit keys preset.

• For me it's testing in apeMatrix, one or more instances, I believe it may depend on the preset you initially saved with, for me it's currently "Full house bass" but I think it changed after I updated, so that might be the behaviour.

• Here, state saving is not working in BM3, Modstep and ApeMatrix

• @sinosoidal said:
    It seems that are many reports of unsaved state. Does it happens consistently? One or multiple instances?

I would like to know which host is patch state being saved correctly and which aren't. I have been testing with Nano Studio 2 and it is definitely working there.

Thanks!

This is good news as that is mainly where I'll use it.

• edited December 2018

@Sygma said:
    Here, state saving is not working in BM3, Modstep and ApeMatrix

I have discovered that the audio unit was not honouring the synth engine purchase and therefore preventing the state from being recovered.

I'm publishing a new beta that aims to fix this problem.

You need to ensure that the synth engine purchase is unlocked on the standalone app. Real world purchases do not exist in beta versions but you can purchase them without paying using your iTunes account.

Right not is not clear for a new user when the audio unit is locked or unlocked. :neutral:

• @sinosoidal said:

@Sygma said:
    Here, state saving is not working in BM3, Modstep and ApeMatrix

I have discovered that the audio unit was not honouring the synth engine purchase and therefore preventing the state from being recovered.

I'm publishing a new beta that aims to fix this problem.

You need to ensure that the synth engine purchase is unlocked on the standalone app. Real world purchases do not exist in beta versions but you can purchase them without paying using your iTunes account.

Right not is not clear for a new user when the audio unit is locked or unlocked. :neutral:

Great, looks like new update fixed it :)

• edited December 2018

@sinosoidal Something seems to have changed in regards to how the stepped rotary controls are handled.

The less the steps the control has, the faster you have to drag the control for it to react.

For example, the Octave controls for the OSCs now require a fast up/down gesture to react, and it get worse for the SUB OSC, which now requires an extremely fast gesture.

Tested on DRV v2.0.0 (95), iOS 12.1, iPad Air and iPhone SE.

• @janogarcia said:
    @sinosoidal Something seems to have changed in regards to how the stepped rotary controls are handled.

The less the steps the control has, the faster you have to drag the control for it to react.

For example, the Octave controls for the OSCs now require a fast up/down gesture to react, and it get worse for the SUB OSC, which now requires an extremely fast gesture.

Tested on DRV v2.0.0 (95), iOS 12.1, iPad Air and iPhone SE.

@janogarcia yes, I have noticed too. I don't know what changed. Need to investigate! Thanks for your keen eye and feedback! :blush:

• I have in general really bad response on my iPhone 6S plus. Especially the virtual keyboard might suffer from the known control center problem thingie.

• I can confirm that the bottom edge of the keyboard in the standalone app does not respond.

• @sinosoidal Might be worth to enable 'Edge Protection' for the DRC stand-alone app...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46988469/how-to-enable-edge-protect-in-iphone-x

• @kinkujin said:

Tested NS2 for the first time yesterday. What a great app! I think I have spent more than one hour making music on iOS for the first time in my life! :smiley:

Lol

• @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Lol

That wasnt me, that was @sinosoidal . Though I'd love to get an hour of music making myself.

• @kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Lol

That wasnt me, that was @sinosoidal . Though I'd love to get an hour of music making myself.

Lols all around!

• edited December 2018

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

Lol

Lols all around!

I'm going to dissect this topic a bit further. I spend most of my time launching my apps in debug, make a small test and close. Change something, launch in debug again, test, and the close. My actual time for music making is so limited this days. Then there are some apps that are not intuitive at all, with non sense user interfaces. That's why I have spent one hour with Nano Studio 2, it is really well designed and the work was flowing! :blush: