Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence plays wrong pattern using Seekbeats as instrument via AB3

So I’m trying to play a basic 4/4 trance beat with Xequence using the drums from SeekBeats. In SeekBeats I have the default settings for the MIDI stuff so the drum trigger is shown as Ch 10 and the note is C3. I’m running into the following issues:

1. In Xequence, I have to hit C5 to trigger the Seekbeats kick drum despite the note being set to C3. Not a big deal but still weird.
  2. When I do type in a 4/4 beat, the keys on Xequence light up properly but the rhythm is way off. Instead of playing four kicks on each beat it seems to play 2 kicks for every 1 kick. Other times it plays a completely different rhythm. When I add a snare and high hat the same thing happens. They just kinda play whatever rhythm they feel like despite the Xequence MIDI notes lighting up properly.

My set up in Xequence is as follows:
In the MIDI setup, I have an instrument that goes to Audiobus 3, MIDI out 1.
Send sync is off.
In the main sequencer timeline arrangement view, i have the first pattern destination instrument to the SeekBeats instrument.
In AudioBus 3 MIDI, I have Xequence MIDI Out 1 as the input on the far left and SeekBeats as the output on the far right.

Any ideas?

Comments

• 1. Not that weird. Different apps have ‘middle C’ set to C3, C4, and I guess C5 even.

But I did notice that Seekbeats is off when using it before with a separate sequencer.
    You just have to try the different C’s sometimes to get your apps to play the right octave you are intending.

2. In seekbeats, notes trigger the drums, but can also switch patterns. It sounds like you have pattern switching happening unintentionally. Check your midi settings, and try setting the pattern trigger note really low, like C1, and see if that stops the pattern switching.

• Weird, I have no idea what is up with that giant text I just created.
    :D

• That’s what I thought too so i deleted all of the patterns off Seakbeats but it didn’t help.

• I will see if I can replicate your issue. Maybe I can find out more, like if it is bugged out.

• Confirmed. It does the same here.
    If you enable the virtual midi port in Seekbeats and set Xequence to send directly to Seekbeats rather than AudioBus, it should work.

• I tried copying your description of your setup, but I could not replicate your issue.
    It seemed to work fine for me.
    I am not sure what is going wrong with your setup. Sorry. :/

• I suspect this is a problem with Seekbeats’ AB implementation. For instance, Xequence doesn’t show in the AB toolbar in Seekbeats. It may not have the latest AB SDK implemented.

Jeez, I forget how great Seekbeats is sound wise. Wow. :)

• @CracklePot said:
    Weird, I have no idea what is up with that giant text I just created.
    :D

When you put the # sign at the beginning of a line it makes the line header text. If you want to use a # or other markdown formatting character at the beginning of the line, you can put a back-slash (“\”) in front of it.

header level 1 (line starts with #)

header level 2 (line starts with ##)

header level 3 (line starts with ###)

# normal (line starts with \#)
    ## normal (line starts with \##)
    Etc.

• @CracklePot said:
    I tried copying your description of your setup, but I could not replicate your issue.

Odd. I can replicate it at will. Are you sending to AudioBus or to Seekbeats from Xequence?

• @wim said:

@CracklePot said:
    I tried copying your description of your setup, but I could not replicate your issue.

Odd. I can replicate it at will. Are you sending to AudioBus or to Seekbeats from Xequence?

I am sending to Audiobus. Xequence Channel 1 to AB, AB to SB.
    Did you wipe the existing pattern in Seekbeats?

• @CracklePot said:

@wim said:

@CracklePot said:

I am sending to Audiobus. Xequence Channel 1 to AB, AB to SB.
    Did you wipe the existing pattern in Seekbeats?

Yep. That was my first guess at what the problem might be. No, it's definitely screwy on the timing. I can take the exact same setup but using AUM, or just with standalone, and timing is fine. I can switch to outputting directly to Seekbeats even when both are in Audiobus and it works fine. If I output to Audiobus, the timing is way off.

Are you on the latest audiobus, released Nov 26?

• edited December 2018

@wim
    Yeah, I am fully updated, system and apps.
    I just tried Rozeta XOX in AB, SB loaded in the Midi out slot. Still no errors.

Do you have the SB FX IAP? I didn’t get that, maybe that is what is different?
    Doesn’t seem logical from the outside, but maybe the FX have a bug on the inside.

• @CracklePot said:
    @wim
    Yeah, I am fully updated, system and apps.
    I just tried Rozeta XOX in AB, SB loaded in the Midi out slot. Still no errors.

Do you have the SB FX IAP? I didn’t get that, maybe that is what is different?
    Doesn’t seem logical from the outside, but maybe the FX have a bug on the inside.

Nope, I don’t have the FX IAP. I’ll try some more testing on a different device later. No a high priority since it’s a weird one and there’s a very easy workaround.

• I got SeekBeats to work properly without using Audiobus 3 using your method! I dunno why it wasn’t working before.

Thanks!

• edited December 2018

Now if you change the thread title to "Problems with Seekbeats MIDI timing using Audiobus", I'll send you a promo code for any Xequence IAP! ;) ;) ;)

• Just saw that promo but I dunno how to change the thread title ☹️ Spent the past month on Logic, now I’m back to iOS music and running into the same problems I had before 🤣
  • @trancespotter no worries, I wasn't completely serious about the thread title. I'm not the boss in here 😉
  • @trancespotter I believe you have to edit the first comment in the thread and it will allow you to change the title, but the forum is having some formatting issues at this moment so I’m not sure