Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you get files onto your iPad?

Its been some years since I had an iPad and want to import .zip files with user presets for Ripplemaker. I've googled but couldn't figure out how to do this.

First of all, how do I get the .zip file onto my iPad?
Where do I put it on the iPad? (I don't see a folder for Ripplemaker)
Can I unzip it on the iPad, and if so, which app is best for this?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Greg K.

Comments

• edited December 2018

I own RuisMaker Noir and it shows this... It mgith be the same for RippleMaker.

Use the iPad files app.
    In the Folder "On My iPad"
    Look for the "RippleMaker" folder (I ahev a RuisMaker Noir folder myself):
    Using the Files app find a Folder to access you .zip file. Here are 3 options to get the file.
    DropBox
    iCloud
    AudioShare

Click/hold on your zip file and select "copy" or maybe "move" and paste or select the RippleMaker folder and there maybe a sub-folder for Presets.

Hope there are good clues for you here.

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

And the Files App can unzip a zip file itself?

That's new to me, thanks.
    Or can RippleMaker handle this itself?

Edit: I only found a folder from RuisMaker Noir, no other Bram Bos App!
    Also not after saving a Patch manually first.

@brambos Is some special action needed for those App folders to show up?

• edited December 2018

If your files are on a desktop or laptop, then I suggest using AudioShare wifi server on your iPad. When you turn the server on, it will give you an IP Address.
    On your computer, open a web browser and enter the IP address that AudioShare just gave you. An AudioShare window will open in your web browser.
    You can drag and drop files to and from AudioShare in this web browser window.

AudioShare can open zip files, but for Brambos presets I think you can just select the zip in AudioShare and select ‘copy to’ whichever Brambos app the presets are for. It should open the zip automatically.
    When AudioShare asks you if you want to open the zip after you select it, pick ‘no’. Then, with the zip selected, do the usual ‘copy to’ procedure.

Note: iPad and computer need to be on the same wifi network for the AudioShare wifi server to work. I assume this is the case for you. If not, there is another way.

• @tja said:
    And the Files App can unzip a zip file itself?

That's new to me, thanks.
    Or can RippleMaker handle this itself?

Edit: I only found a folder from RuisMaker Noir, no other Bram Bos App!
    Also not after saving a Patch manually first.

@brambos Is some special action needed for those App folders to show up?

If the folder is NOT exposed in the files app then you probably have to move the files using iTunes (old school) on a desktop/laptop Mac or PC. You select the installed App and use File Sharing in iTunes and copy files into the App that way. That's my second guess.

Sometime AudioShare can move files into an App using it's capabilities... maybe that would get 'er done here. AudioCopy maybe? I don't have that App.

Someone will know. Sometimes do searches in the forum by app names will show some documented details for these questions.

Search for "Ripplemaker zip" or presets, import...

• gkillmaster may not have AudioShare, but I tested this and it seems you can use any App that has access to the zip file, use "Share to", "Open in" or "Export to" to directly select "Copy to RippleMaker".
    Great.

So, having it on iCloud drive or Dropbox or just a website would suffice, as McDtracy wrote.

• @tja try restarting the app after the presets import. I think you have to do that to sync the presets.

• @CracklePot said:
    If your files are on a desktop or laptop, then I suggest using AudioShare wifi server on your iPad. When you turn the server on, it will give you an IP Address.
    On your computer, open a web browser and enter the IP address that AudioShare just gave you. An AudioShare window will open in your web browser.
    You can drag and drop files to and from AudioShare in this web browser window.

AudioShare can open zip files, but for Brambos presets I think you can just select the zip in AudioShare and select ‘copy to’ whichever Brambos app the presets are for. It should open the zip automatically.
    When AudioShare asks you if you want to open the zip after you select it, pick ‘no’. Then, with the zip selected, do the usual ‘copy to’ procedure.

Note: iPad and computer need to be on the same wifi network for the AudioShare wifi server to work. I assume this is the case for you. If not, there is another way.

Thanks! Yeh, this kinda worked. I used the Files app and sent the zip files via an e-mail attachment to a "Temp Files" folder that I created on iCloud. Then I brought those zip files into Audioshare and sent them to Ripplemaker. I didn't have to restart every time to get Ripplemaker to update. But, the weird thing is it only worked for 3 out of the 6 zip files I sent. And only in the case of 1 did it create a preset folder that had the same name as the zip file. Maybe there is a very specific file name convention for Ripplemaker. I read about it in the manual but didn't fully understand what it was supposed to be... Hopefully someone can clarify... Thanks for all the pointers!!

• @tja said:
    gkillmaster may not have AudioShare, but I tested this and it seems you can use any App that has access to the zip file, use "Share to", "Open in" or "Export to" to directly select "Copy to RippleMaker".
    Great.

So, having it on iCloud drive or Dropbox or just a website would suffice, as McDtracy wrote.

O yeh, thanks! Good to know .I'll try this...!

• @tja said:
    gkillmaster may not have AudioShare, but I tested this and it seems you can use any App that has access to the zip file, use "Share to", "Open in" or "Export to" to directly select "Copy to RippleMaker".
    Great.

Wow, was able to send them directly from my e-mail bypassing Audioshare! I have one zip file that is AU presets, so not sure how to make sure it gets to the right place. It looks like it put a lot of presets in the user area. I'm guessing if the naming isn't correct, it just dumps them all in there?

• edited December 2018

@gkillmaster said:

@tja said:
    Great.

Wow, was able to send them directly from my e-mail bypassing Audioshare! I have one zip file that is AU presets, so not sure how to make sure it gets to the right place. It looks like it put a lot of presets in the user area. I'm guessing if the naming isn't correct, it just dumps them all in there?

Indeed that’s the way to do it. Send the zip-file to the device and “Open with” the app. No need to use the Files app or to unpack it. :)

The problem is that you want the presets to go to the plugin. Plugins can’t have their own folder in the files app, only the (identically named) container app can. But plugins don’t have access to their container’s file system. It’s a clumsy mess.

• edited December 2018

@brambos said:
    It’s a clumsy mess.

And KORG has copied the behavior although the Gadgets are not even AUv3 :D

I'm curious to see how @Audulus_Mark is going to solve this. Redundant preset storage?

• Worth a mention, the free app Local Storage by Guenther Eberl can extract .zip files and allow you to create local folders that can also be accessed with iTunes.
    There’s a way to extract .zip files by opening in the Notes app too, but it can have odd results sometimes.
    To avoid cloud services and email completely the Sandisk iXpand thumb drive is useful.

• edited December 2018

@3sleeves said:
    Worth a mention, the free app Local Storage by Guenther Eberl can extract .zip files and allow you to create local folders that can also be accessed with iTunes.
    There’s a way to extract .zip files by opening in the Notes app too, but it can have odd results sometimes.
    To avoid cloud services and email completely the Sandisk iXpand thumb drive is useful.

Thanks, I think I might give those dries a second look.
    Do they support all file formats?
    And what about the Sandisk app? Does it support any format for "Open In..." so I can store any file on the iXpand?

• Dito to the Local Storage App, it is quite nice:

You can send a tip to the developer from the Settings.

• @brambos said:

@gkillmaster said:

@tja said:
    Great.

Indeed that’s the way to do it. Send the zip-file to the device and “Open with” the app. No need to use the Files app or to unpack it. :)

The problem is that you want the presets to go to the plugin. Plugins can’t have their own folder in the files app, only the (identically named) container app can. But plugins don’t have access to their container’s file system. It’s a clumsy mess.

Thanks for the explanation. So does this mean that "Auv3" are really the same preset format? I wonder why one of the files is called "ripplemaker_AUv3_presets" if so?

• Documents by Readdle is one app that is well worth having on any iOS device. Need to download files from the internet? Need to access local servers or computers to save or load files from? Need to play music or videos but don’t like to use iTunes? Want Files.appintegration?

In short Documents is Files.app on roids...

• @Samu said:
    Documents by Readdle is one app that is well worth having on any iOS device. Need to download files from the internet? Need to access local servers or computers to save or load files from? Need to play music or videos but don’t like to use iTunes? Want Files.appintegration?

In short Documents is Files.app on roids...

Wow, you are right! Very cool and thanks for recommending!

• @rs2000 said:

@3sleeves said:
    Worth a mention, the free app Local Storage by Guenther Eberl can extract .zip files and allow you to create local folders that can also be accessed with iTunes.

And what about the Sandisk app? Does it support any format for "Open In..." so I can store any file on the iXpand?

So far I haven’t encountered any format that was incompatible...I also have Opener installed though, in case a native file format isn’t recognized by an app.
    I have to agree with @Samu about Documents by Readdle as well, it’s great for downloading and managing files. The built-in browser can be used to download YouTube videos, from there it’s easy to share/copy audio into AudioShare for sampling.

• @3sleeves said:

@rs2000 said:

@3sleeves said:

So far I haven’t encountered any format that was incompatible...I also have Opener installed though, in case a native file format isn’t recognized by an app.
    I have to agree with @Samu about Documents by Readdle as well, it’s great for downloading and managing files. The built-in browser can be used to download YouTube videos, from there it’s easy to share/copy audio into AudioShare for sampling.

Cool, thanks :smile:

• I have an iCloud Drive folder in the dock of my Mac. I just drag files to that.

• Imazing... Can't imagine using iOS without it. Not into Dropbox etc.

• @dustgod said:
    Imazing... Can't imagine using iOS without it. Not into Dropbox etc.

Wow, seems totally amazing! Thanks for rec. Kinda expensive but probably worth it over time.

• @gkillmaster said:

@dustgod said:

Wow, seems totally amazing! Thanks for rec. Kinda expensive but probably worth it over time.

What exactly is expensive, cannot understand from the quotes.

• @tja said:

@gkillmaster said:

@dustgod said:

O, sorry, was referring to iMazing ($45 single license)

• @gkillmaster said:

@tja said:

@gkillmaster said:

@dustgod said:

O, sorry, was referring to iMazing ($45 single license)

Ahhh
    The first mention had a wrong spelling so that I did not understand.

Thanks