Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The 1975 - Why, what, eh?

edited December 2018 in Other

I don’t understand why everyone is going crazy about The 1975.
I am very eclectic in my music tastes, but this one, I just DON’T get!
Critics love them, they sell millions. But they are completely and utterly crap!
Shit vocals, shit lyrics and shit songs. I feel like I’m losing my sanity, because everyone is raving about them.
NME, Radio, everywhere else, going batshit crazy over them!
Did one of them win the lottery and they are litterally buying ‘success’?

The 1975
  1. What do you reckon?6 votes
    1. Terrible
      100.00%
    2. Brilliant
        0.00%

Comments

• Just heard them on Spotify for the first time this afternoon. Don’t remember the song at all.

• edited December 2018

• edited December 2018

Uhhh removed nsfw comedy link... Oops

• They are not remarkable enough to be terrible, but that's just my opinion.

• good and bad doesn't really exist when it comes to art because art doesn't exist itself, ear of the beholder and all of that so that if it actually did exist it would immediately cancel itself out.... anyways, the slot they fill needed filling.

• @kobamoto said:
    anyways, the slot they fill needed filling.

/Thread

• edited December 2018

I actually really liked their last album ("I like it when you sleep..."). I'm keenly aware that as a 37-year-old male, I'm not supposed to admit that, but I really don't how many people do or don't like music I like (or who those other people are). I grew up listening to alt-rock in the 90's that got radio play and crossed over into "Top 40" popularity. That just doesn't happen anymore. There are good rock bands, of course, but if you want to hear guitar-oriented music, you either need to go seek it out, or you need to be open to other forms of music that blend rock, synth pop, EDM, and other genres. The 1975 were one of my favorite examples of the latter.

But the new album is pretty disappointing. I listened to it today, and although it's 15 songs, probably about 1/3 of them are throw-away tracks/skits. The two or three songs that are worthy of revisiting were already made available on streaming services months ago, so it's a pretty underwhelming release.

P.S. - I'm reading people comparing this to O.K. Computer, and that really, really angers me. Either because that's completely ridiculous or because it just proves that I'm getting old. If your basis for comparing it to O.K. Computer is a "song" with a robot voice talking about marrying the internet....that's....a pretty superficial comparison.

• My first thought when I heard one of 1975's songs was this song released in 1975:

• @philowerx said:
    My first thought when I heard one of 1975's songs was this song released in 1975:

Nice article on the making.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/feb/26/10cc-how-we-made-im-not-in-love

• @AudioGus said:

Had not seen that one. Very nice positive vibe. Thanks for posting. Do you know who directed the video?

• Never heard of them.

• edited December 2018

• My first thought when I heard one of 1975's songs was this song released in 1975:

I was at school in Yorkshire that summer. It's hard to describe just how all encompassing it seemed to be - it was playing on every radio station and in every public place. The only recent song I can think of that got anywhere near that sort of saturation airplay was Gotye's 'Somebody that I used to know' in 2012.

• edited December 2018

Never heard of em until now. Will never seek them out again.

“I found a grey hair in one of my zoots/Like context in a modern debate, I just took it out,”

Definitely the worst lyric I've heard this year.

There's an interesting discussion to be had about how pop/rock music has evolved and almost by default includes influences from other now more popular genres (I'm lookin at you, beats & hi hats). It's very informative to me to objectively check out these kinds of 'it' bands from time to time. It provides amusement by giving me an occasional guidepost as to just how out of touch I've grown, even at 33.

On a personal level, it's crappy, but it doesn't offend me; it's just unremarkable. It's another harmless reminder of how much better the good ol' days of pop music (times before I was even born) were. I don't say that wistfully or with spite; I'm fine with the world rolling on as long as I can still throw on Thin Lizzy.

• @JeffChasteen oops! ripped the word 'unremarkable' right outta my mouth

• I remember being underwhelmed by their much-hyped debut back in 2014. That was more of an indie rock sound though, that owed quite a lot to the Arctic Monkeys IMO. I find the current R&B lite sound they're doing even less inspiring. They're a band for teenage girls to fancy, a Bay City Rollers for the 21st century.

• sickeningly manufactured.. and defrobots has played into the the hands of the hype manufacturing by posting that poll.
    any comparison to 10cc and the clever stuff Godley and Creme did can only be superficial otherwise its super insulting.
    my vote is to strike this whole post from the record yr honour!

• Like others here, I’ve never heard of them until now. Not listened yet and probably won’t take much notice.

I used to always seek out new music, but haven’t much of late. I’m happy making my own music and listening to music from the past.

My jug seems pretty full now, as I spent a very large portion of my life listening to many types of music. If I started today listening to the same music again, I would most likely be dead before being able to listen to it all again.

So, I’m quite happy now to not seek out any new music. If I happen on something by chance, then that’s fine :)

• edited December 2018

I love just about any genre of music.
    Rock, pop, indie, alternative, rap, psychedelia, blues, punk, new wave, electronic, folk and on and on.
    But this...
    When they released their single ‘Give yourself a try’, it was on radio one throughout the day. I had to start changing channels whenever I heard it.
    Terrible structure, badly recorded, bad sounds, bad lyrics, bad singing...
    @RockySmalls I’m afraid the juggernaut is already unstoppable! I’m fighting back!
    The other flip side is this:
    Rock stars throughout the years have done drink and drugs. As have I. They make them cool to an extent, but we all still knew that they were ultimately dangerous.
    They have a LOT of impressionable young fans and the singer is PROMOTING some of the most dangerous drugs out there. He’s been on heroin, cocaine, weed, you name it, he’s done it. Or so he says in his songs and interviews.
    Not only that, but he’s also saying that he has managed to quit most of it, like he’s some sort of hero. This privileged rich kid from a wealthy background has beaten life’s pitfalls!
    Those young, impressionable fans will do those drugs that he’s spoken about, because, you know, Matty did them. He’s alright. He’s successful. He stopped doing them. For now...

As much as I dislike most manufactured boy bands etc., they NEVER promoted drink and drugs. Their main body of fans are young, teenage girls who are at the point where they are influenced by what they listen to/follow.

• well, i appreciate yr point of view,
    I just think even mentioning such things is what the machine wants.. all publicity is good publicity for them..
    I understand that this forum is a good place for debate.. and the dire state of what claws its way up into popularity by force, money, persistence, being appealingly anodyne etc is a good topic ( though probably leading nowhere in terms of solutions ).
    it’s just that this forum already has so many red herring threads it felt to me that this was maybe one we could live without.. sorry bout that :) 7am cat feeding duties, morning grumps etc..
    Long Live Godley ‘n’ Creme!!! ( ok... maybe not all they did but L and Freeze Frame !! definitely and I can even go for the weird south pacific style operatics of Consequences on certain days.. )
    carry on, don’t pay me no heed..

• @StormJH1 said:

P.S. - I'm reading people comparing this to O.K. Computer

ha ha

Aha Ha Ha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

• edited December 2018

You leave the Bay City Rollers out of this

Throat-slash gesture

• @oat_phipps said:

Throat-slash gesture

Uh, uh. BCR fan in the house? But you don't look like a teenage girl circa 1975....

• @richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:

Throat-slash gesture

Uh, uh. BCR fan in the house? But you don't look like a teenage girl circa 1975....

Doesn't stop me from wishing I was! swoon

But seriously, I'd have loved being a teen in that era. I've pinpointed 1977-83 as the years I would've been most successful and had the highest probability of charting hits (however low that probability still would've been).

• @oat_phipps said:

@richardyot said:

@oat_phipps said:

Throat-slash gesture

Doesn't stop me from wishing I was! swoon

But seriously, I'd have loved being a teen in that era. I've pinpointed 1977-83 as the years I would've been most successful and had the highest probability of charting hits (however low that probability still would've been).

I love the 70s, a lot of great music. And you're right, the Bay City Rollers were better than the 1975 :)

• The who?

I'm more intrigued by the weird millennial misappropriation of the word "healthy". That's a new one for me.

• Never heard of them until I heard an interview (promo machine) yesterday. I would have quickly forgot about them until this post. So ... forgettable.

• I don’t see why this band have been singled out? They are just one of so many unremarkable music acts that clutter the charts these days - I haven’t listened regularly to chart music for maybe 20 years. I totally accept that I am an out of date old codger in this, but then my kids don’t really follow much modern chart music either.

• edited December 2018

I hadn’t heard of them due to being methuselaic so I watched a couple of videos. I quite like them.