Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IDAM and the new iPad Pro?

I'm trying to setup my new iPad Pro using IDAM and I can't seem to get audio it to work. (MIDI seems ok.) In Bitwig, the iPad shows up as an audio source but there is no incoming audio though the iPad shows up in the audio window of Audio MIDI Setup.

If I go in Logic, it works fine if I use an external instrument on an instrument channel but just routing audio to my iMac doesn't work.

Has anyone with a new iPad Pro gotten this to work with audio?

Comments

• I think I figured it out. I had to create an aggregate device and now it seems to work.

• @gkillmaster said:
    I think I figured it out. I had to create an aggregate device and now it seems to work.

Yes. That aggregate device allows you to keep adding IOS devices and it opens a MIDI and Audio channel to each one that can be selected in Logic or other OS X DAW's. So, I have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones and could consider a powered USB Hub and connect them all using the IOS devices as "MIDI sound modules". But I probably won't IOS is just so simple with all the cables being virtual. The only headache is screen real estate... but slowly a lot of those concerns are being addressed with saved setups and overlooked AudioBus Remote app to use an extra device for larger start/stop controllers for the other devices running Apps. Then you just run all the audio outs into an audio mixer which many of us bought years ago and have in a closet somewhere. Hello Mackie...

Foolish people will still keep buying MIDI Modules for $600-1000 from the usual suspects.

• I set up an aggregate device with my UA Arrow, and was frustrated because despite it mostly working well, I got random crackling here and there. The solution was to use the iPad as the clock source within the aggregate device - works perfectly now. :)

MacBook Pro, iPad Pro 10.5. Also created a separate device with the iPhone 8.

Also have to say, monitoring/tracking iPad instruments through the UA Neve preamp and other effects is a dream. The Arrow is definitely the best-sounding interface I’ve had so far.

• @handed said:
    I set up an aggregate device with my UA Arrow, and was frustrated because despite it mostly working well, I got random crackling here and there. The solution was to use the iPad as the clock source within the aggregate device - works perfectly now. :)

MacBook Pro, iPad Pro 10.5. Also created a separate device with the iPhone 8.

Also have to say, monitoring/tracking iPad instruments through the UA Neve preamp and other effects is a dream. The Arrow is definitely the best-sounding interface I’ve had so far.

good to know!

• @McDtracy said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I think I figured it out. I had to create an aggregate device and now it seems to work.

Yes. That aggregate device allows you to keep adding IOS devices and it opens a MIDI and Audio channel to each one that can be selected in Logic or other OS X DAW's. So, I have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones and could consider a powered USB Hub and connect them all using the IOS devices as "MIDI sound modules". But I probably won't IOS is just so simple with all the cables being virtual. The only headache is screen real estate... but slowly a lot of those concerns are being addressed with saved setups and overlooked AudioBus Remote app to use an extra device for larger start/stop controllers for the other devices running Apps. Then you just run all the audio outs into an audio mixer which many of us bought years ago and have in a closet somewhere. Hello Mackie...

Foolish people will still keep buying MIDI Modules for $600-1000 from the usual suspects.

O wow, didn't realize you could just keep adding devices like this. Thanks for the info! One thing I noticed is that my iPhone and iPad no longer show up in the "Network Device Browser" window in Audio MIDI setup.

• How are you guys setting up these multiple aggregate devices with IDAM?
    So do you first "enable iPad" in the left column - and then setup multiple aggregate devices to route into mac.
    Also - does this mean each aggregate device has only stereo audio / or midi - or both at the same time?

• I still hope they add audio from computer to ipad in IDAM.
    Dont really understand why it is missing, we know its technically possible from StudioMux which Id rather avoid.

• @1nsomniak said:
    I still hope they add audio from computer to ipad in IDAM.
    Dont really understand why it is missing, we know its technically possible from StudioMux which Id rather avoid.

Are you sure you can do that with StudioMux? I thought it was only one way like IDAM?

• @1nsomniak said:

Yeah, and I’d love to see multichannel IDAM on top of that.

• @skiphunt said:

@1nsomniak said:

Are you sure you can do that with StudioMux? I thought it was only one way like IDAM?

Just checked and I believe you are correct, thats the key feature I was considering it for too.
    I suppose the multi outs can be handy still.

• @Mayo said:
    How are you guys setting up these multiple aggregate devices with IDAM?
    So do you first "enable iPad" in the left column - and then setup multiple aggregate devices to route into mac.
    Also - does this mean each aggregate device has only stereo audio / or midi - or both at the same time?

I added an aggregate device then added my devices after that like this:

I know it may be a little confusing to look at..

This works bringing in MIDI and audio for Bitwig (and Logic and Studio One for that matter).
    MIDI is shown in "MIDI Studio" in Audio MIDI Setup:

• @1nsomniak said:

@skiphunt said:

@1nsomniak said:

Just checked and I believe you are correct, thats the key feature I was considering it for too.
    I suppose the multi outs can be handy still.

It took me forever to figure out how to use it with Logic Pro, but after I did... it worked pretty well. Would be pretty cool though if you could go both ways though.

• @gkillmaster - thanks for that.
    I had no idea multiple IOS devices were able to be recognized at the same time.

• @Mayo said:
    @gkillmaster - thanks for that.
    I had no idea multiple IOS devices were able to be recognized at the same time.

Me either til @McDtracy told me!

• I don't understand this. My iPad Pro still isn't showing up in Mojave. I don't intend on upgrading to El Capitan for quite a while. Anyone? And my barking up the wrong tree in the wrong forum.