Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

looping/sequencing when playing the keyboard in aum or au3 apps

Hey, i just built up a AUM session with a few different au3 instruments and had a good groove going with sequencers in ruismaker nior and steppolyarp triggering moog, then at some point i started playing with the keyboard in aum to play the instruments by feel over the sequencers. It was nice but I couldn't figure out how to loop the instruments (or otherwise add them to the sequencers) when i manually played them with the keyboard.

What's the best/easiest way to loop it when i play the keyboard in aum or these au3 apps? Do any applications like ruismaker nior and steppolyarp have this function? Does AUM have any built in function for this? Or do i need to route to IAA or AU3 app? If so which? Or is it better/necessary to use a different host than AUM for this?

Comments

• If you are wanting to record loops in realtime and have them start playing back as you add them, Loopy, Audiobus 3 and AUM are a great combo. There was a recent thread that walks through setting it up.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@dan151, If you’re asking how to loop the midi, rather than audio, that’s a different story. Is that what you want to do, or is looping recorded audio what you’re after?

• edited December 2018

Thanks @espiegel123 and @wim!

It looks like the loopy/ab3/aum method works very well for audio looping, which is awesome!

It would also be cool to be able to loop the midi and/or ‘record’ the midi into an existing midi sequence in one of the au3 sequencer apps (like you can do with patterning 2 or BM3 or KEW for example). I don't see an option to do this in most AU3 applications like Nior and SPA though, unless i'm missing something? Is there any way to do this to loop midi or add midi to the sequencers in au3 apps in AUM?

Or maybe there's some sort of midi looping au3 apps or maybe something like modstep or cubasis would be better for looping midi than AUM?

• @dan151 said:
    Thanks @espiegel123 and @wim!

It looks like the loopy/ab3/aum method works very well for audio looping, which is awesome!

It would also be cool to be able to loop the midi and/or ‘record’ the midi into an existing midi sequence in one of the au3 sequencer apps (like you can do with patterning 2 or BM3 or KEW for example). I don't see an option to do this in most AU3 applications like Nior and SPA though, unless i'm missing something? Is there any way to do this to loop midi or add midi to the sequencers in au3 apps in AUM?

Or maybe there's some sort of midi looping au3 apps or maybe something like modstep or cubasis would be better for looping midi than AUM?

There will soon be a midi recorder/looper, called Photon,from @midiSequencer. Can’t wait. Until then, the option is to record the midi into something like Xequence or Modstep, which you can use to loop patterns.

There is also GarageBand with its live looper mode, and the new kid on the block, Stagelight.

• edited December 2018

hmmm... ok thanks @wim !

I've never tried modstep, stagelight or GB... though i've been curious about modstep, it seems like the ability to store multiple midi loops in different clips would be helpful if its easy to record the midi into the clips/sequences . Have tried Xequence a few times but got confused by the UI or it seems like looping took too many steps. Is this kind of midi looping/recording simple and frictionless in any of the applications you mentioned? if so do you know of any guides or tutorials that show how to do it? Or do you think its better waiting for photon?

• @dan151 said:
    hmmm... ok thanks @wim !

I've never tried modstep, stagelight or GB . Have tried Xequence a few times but got confused by the UI or it seems like looping took too many steps. Is this kind of midi looping/recording simple and frictionless in any of the applications you mentioned? if so do you know of any guides or tutorials that show how to do it? Or do you think its better waiting for photon?

It’s easy to loop in Xequence. You just select a clip, touch the magic wand, and set the clip to loop. It will then repeat until there’s another clip on the timeline in that same track. Or, you can select a clip and at the top, set it to loop to the selection. The difference in the second approach is it loops the entire song, rather than just repeating the single clip.

Modstep is more directly geared toward looping, but it’s a bear to learn and is quirky in a lot of wars. Worth the effort, but maybe not for someone just starting off.

GarageBand is easy to learn, free, and the clip launching includes midi and audio clips. It’s worth checking out since it’s free.

Stagelight is good too. Similar to GarageBand in that it can loop both midi and audio clips. However, at this time only AU apps are supported, not standalone and IAA.

My gut tells me Photon will be the most direct answer, I’d at least give GarageBand a look, and revisit Xequence.

• bm3 loops midi.

• And audio.

• Somebody please copy the sequencer from Novation Circuit to iOS. 👍