Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Electribe wave vs Grooverider 16?

I know it’s been discussed to death here and there and in bits and pieces but now before Black Friday ends and ETW has finally enabled sample import , which one wins? Which one should I invest my time into. I can’t do both . Or at least I won’t . Does GR 16 still win if I’m at least 30-40% sample based ?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

Feature for feature GR-16 wins hands-down for sample handling. No contest.

Not gonna comment on the subjective aspects.

• For samples, Grooverider is better for me. Once Grooverider gets song mode, I will be using it more.

• Yeah after I posted this, I saw that song mode is coming . No auv3 though. But you can do that in AUM w midi out

• edited November 2018

I would say...

Start out on KEW and when you can get a hang of the style of workflow then learn to use the more powerful but more advanced GR16.

They are completely different but both extremely fun to use

For traditional song arrangements you’ll have a better time with a linear DAW.

Think more along the lines of it being a dj tool for long seamlessly blended sets (ambient/house/trance) cut transitions (Drum and bass/dubstep/hip hop)

• I have both but i can never seem to find the right sound in GR-16 like i can in Korg electribe Wave. I love what GR-16 is on paper and on screen i just wish the patches sounded better to get me going. I have no patience for loading in my own samples or creating my own patches 🤪

• Interesting

• edited November 2018

I think GR-16 is not just the better of the two.. but GR-16 is the ultimate song creation tool..

Those Conditional Triggers.. hit that shift button for fills. :o

• edited November 2018

Who’s up for doing a GR-16 vs G Stomper (Android) comparison of features?

• FWIW, GR-16 is great for sequencing other synths in AUM or hardware.

• edited November 2018

@RajahP said:
    I think GR-16 is not just the better of the two.. but GR-16 is the ultimate song creation tool..

Damn... I'm giving up and going to get them both. After all:

Korg = 480 million-yen Corp with 290 employees
    mouths to feed? Well over a thousand. Won't you help?

GR-16 = JimAudio with Dmitrij Pavlov
    mouths to feed? Do the dogs count? You've heard about Pavlov's dogs... salivating? Won't you help?

I'm going to help feed those kids and those dogs too. I'm starting with the $10 off on KEW 'cause I ain't made a' money. GR-16 for the Holidays.

• @gusgranite said:
    Who’s up for doing a GR-16 vs G Stomper (Android) comparison of features?

looks nice... no iOs...

• Embarrassment of riches we have on iOS ya know. 👊🏼™️

• @RajahP said:

what, conditional trigs?.... never heard anybody say that, I've only heard about the p.locking.... so how deep are the conditional trigs?

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

Way deep.

Sorry, no formatting, but you can always RTFM page 15 - 16. B)

4.5 Step trigger conditions explained
    There may be some cases, when you would want a note in your pattern to be triggered only at certain moment of time. A most common example for this is the Crash Cymbal, that you would want to be played only at the beginning of the pattern, and then never again while this pattern loops. Or one time on each 8 pattern playback cycles. Or even randomly, with a given probability value. You would also want some notes in a pattern to be played only when you activate a special “Fill” mode. Trigger conditions can help you to program a 4-bar pattern to sound like an 8-bar pattern, with drum fills or some extra notes, that will appear only on the second pattern’s playback cycle. All these aspects can be covered using step trigger conditions.
    In the Step Editor (EDIT button flashing), no matter what of its sub-mode is chosen, you can edit a step trigger condition of every note. This is how it’s done:
    1. In EDIT mode, select a note you want to edit by tapping the corresponding step on the editor display, so the desired note must start blinking.
    2. In the upper part of Display you will see selected note’s properties. Tap the most right cell in the bottom row of these properties, so the title of Display should change to “Edit Step: Condition”.
    3. Drag the Value Jog to change the value. If you drag the value forward, you will see different trigger condition options, described below. If you drag the value backward, you will see a probability options for a given note. Holding down the SHIFT button changes the units of value adjustment.
    Trigger condition types and their descriptions:
    --- means that no trigger condition is assigned to the current step; A note will be played normally, every time
    it is triggered by a sequencer.
    XX% percentage value indicates, that a probability of playback is assigned to the current step. A note will be triggered randomly, with a given probability, from 1% (very rare) to 99% (very often).
    Prev this value indicates, that current step will be triggered in accordance with the most recent evaluated step condition in the current Part. It copies the condition of the previous step in the Part. Use it to group several notes, that intended to be played using exactly the same trigger condition, which precedes them.
    !Prev the same as “Prev”, but uses the opposite (inverted) value of the most recent evaluated step condition in the current Part. A note will be played, if the previous step condition was not triggered, and vice versa.
    NPar this value indicates, that current step will be triggered in accordance with the most recent evaluated step condition in the Neighboring Part. Neighboring Part is the part with previous index number. This value is mostly used if you need to interconnect several conditional notes, which belong to different (neighboring) Parts.
    !NPar the same as “NPar”, but uses the opposite (inverted) value of the most recent evaluated step condition in the Neighboring Part. A note will be played, if the previous step condition on the Neighboring Part was not, and vice versa.
    1st means, that current step will be triggered only once, during the first playback cycle of the Pattern.
    !1st the same, as “1st", but inverted. I.e. current step will be triggered every time, except during the first
    playback cycle of the pattern.
    Fill this value indicates, that current step will be triggered only when the Fill mode is activated. To activate the Fill mode, just hold down the SHIFT button during pattern playback. A Fill mode is deactivated when you release the SHIFT button.
    !Fill the opposite of previous condition: current step will be triggered when Fill mode is not activated, and will be silent while Fill mode is active.
    A:B this type of trigger condition is used, when you want a note to be triggered once during the given number of pattern playback cycles. Examples:
    1:4 a note will be triggered during the 1st playback cycle of each 4 repeating cycles (during 1st, then during 5th, then 9th and so on);
    2:3 a note will be triggered during the 2nd playback cycle of each 3 repeating cycles (during 2nd, then during the 5th, then 8th and so on);
    1:2 2:2 4:4
    a note will be triggered during each first playback cycle of a given two repeating cycles;
    a note will be triggered during each second playback cycle of a given two repeating cycles; a note will be triggered during each fourth playback cycle (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and so on).
    !A:B
    for those cases, that match the “A:B” condition described above. Examples:
    !1:4 a note will NOT be triggered during the 1st playback cycle of each 4 repeating cycles, but will play normally within the rest 3 playback cycles;
    !2:3 a note will NOT be triggered during the 2nd playback cycle of each 3 repeating cycles (during 2nd, then during the 5th, then 8th and so on);
    !1:2 a note will NOT be triggered during each first playback cycle of a given two repeating cycles;
    !2:2 a note will NOT be triggered during each second playback cycle of a given two repeating cycles;
    !4:4 a note will NOT be triggered during each fourth playback cycle (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and so on).

• One thing about KEW - the sounds seem to to hang together a bit more from the get go with very little effort. Although a great deal can be done with it, it has “a sound” that glues everything together at the outset, perhaps because the scope of its sound is somewhat more narrow. Not a criticism or endorsement, just an observation.

• Hrmmm. Now that i think about it. Maybe i should just use GR-16 to sequence Korg Electribe Wave 🤪

• @ALB said:
    For samples, Grooverider is better for me. Once Grooverider gets song mode, I will be using it more.

Interesting.. how is song mode going to be different from the current pattern chain mode?

• edited November 2018

@kobamoto said:

@RajahP said:

what, conditional trigs?.... never heard anybody say that, I've only heard about the p.locking.... so how deep are the conditional trigs?

I quite dig Groove Rider!Would highly recommend
    And I love conditionial triggers
    Made use of it in a beat I made few months ago

• @echoopera said:
    Hrmmm. Now that i think about it. Maybe i should just use GR-16 to sequence Korg Electribe Wave 🤪

Alternatively you could sample KEW into Grooverider B)

• and just to confirm grooverider lets you change sample per step as well right?

• edited November 2018

Hello all, i'm a long time lurker/IOS music maker/Electribe fan, this is my first post on this fantastic forum. Glad to see some familiar names from Soundcloud and the Korg Electribe forum!! Just want to chime in on the main feature that, for me, puts KEW ahead of GR-16. During playback, when you change pattern on KEW, any notes that are sounding at the point of pattern change CONTINUE SOUNDING into the next pattern, unless they are replaced by new notes on the same track. When you change pattern on GR-16, all notes are completely cut off, with no release time, and the new pattern starts. Depending on how you use GR-16, it might not be a deal breaker, but in my case, it was the main issue that lead me to sell both the hardware Electribe 2's i owned and move on.

All credit to GR-16's developer, he's done a fantastic job of taking the (very sound) concept of the Electribe 2 series, expanding upon it and port it beautifully over to IOS. But unfortunately, for me anyway, he's carried over that fundamental flaw, which is a real shame. If it's addressed in a future update, then i'll be another of the many singing it's considerable praises.

For what it's worth though, i think KEW is just... fantastic. It's (very nearly) all i've ever wanted in an IOS app and everything else on my ipad is just gathering virtual dust.

• @apapdop : I see . Like the Korg Kronos.. Sheesh that’s a HUGE flaw . Thanks!

• @apapdop said:
    Hello all, i'm a long time lurker/IOS music maker/Electribe fan, this is my first post on this fantastic forum. Glad to see some familiar names from Soundcloud and the Korg Electribe forum!! Just want to chime in on the main feature that, for me, puts KEW ahead of GR-16. During playback, when you change pattern on KEW, any notes that are sounding at the point of pattern change CONTINUE SOUNDING into the next pattern, unless they are replaced by new notes on the same track. When you change pattern on GR-16, all notes are completely cut off, with no release time, and the new pattern starts. Depending on how you use GR-16, it might not be a deal breaker, but for, it's the main issue that lead me to sell both the hardware Electribe 2's i owned and move on.

All credit to GR-16's developer, he's done a fantastic job of taking the (very sound) concept of the Electribe 2 series, expanding upon it and port it beautifully over to IOS. But unfortunately, for me anyway, he's carried over that fundamental flaw, which is a real shame. If it's addressed in a future update, then i'll be another of the many singing it's considerable praises.

For what it's worth though, i think KEW is just... fantastic. It's (very nearly) all i've ever wanted in an IOS app and everything else on my ipad is just gathering virtual dust.

@jimpavloff

• @kobamoto said:
    and just to confirm grooverider lets you change sample per step as well right?

The GR way of doing it is using slices of a sample containing the different sounds.

• @apapdop said:

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about Groove Rider.
    I couldn't live with all the limitations of KEW but I have to admit that I prefer to design sounds for myself, including all the sample slicing and wavetable synth sounds.

For "preset guys" and people that just don't have the time or experience, KEW can be the better option, yes.

I wouldn't consider KEW as a good "entry app" either if you already know that you will want to use your own samples (not just for drum parts) and wavetables, and for these people I recommend spending the time rather to get fluent with Groove Rider. It pays in the end.

• @McDtracy said:
    I'm going to help feed those kids and those dogs too. I'm starting with the $10 off on KEW 'cause I ain't made a' money. GR-16 for the Holidays.

My initial reaction to starting KEW? There are IAP's on sale already?

How many WaveTables come installed? 70 WT's and the IPA's get you 60 more for $6? 130 sounds better to me! Can you ever have enough Waves to build with?

There's 70 PCM's too and they look sexy cool too.

I know "sample anything" or "use AudioShare Folders of Samples". Is there a random button anywhere? I call that programming. "Listen. I made that (randomly). Just tossed it off."

Like the On/Off switch on the computer you used to kick under the table: user enablement. Under the table was a good idea to avoid recording the fan noise louder than your vocal.

But those little blue MRI"s of the WT's. How cool is that... reminds me of Scythe Synth which animates the wave currently being rendered from the stack of waves. This seems like that. Solid GUI as you'd expect from Korg's programmers.

So, for me Korg has pulled ahead by buying my vote with a $10 discount for Black Friday. GR-16... no discounts yet. I do feel bad about those dogs needing to be re-salivated ASAP. But $10 buys every synth from Yonac today... all 5. I'm sure they have some dogs too.

• @hisdudeness said:

@ALB said:
    For samples, Grooverider is better for me. Once Grooverider gets song mode, I will be using it more.

Interesting.. how is song mode going to be different from the current pattern chain mode?

Easier to use - I believe that it will have its own window and optional mutes per pattern instance.

• @hisdudeness said:

@ALB said:

I have this question as well.

• I think KEW has a better sounding synth engine, but obviously lacks all the sample related features of GR. But it does have a handy chord creator and arp that can be switched on or off pre or post recording, the arp in GR does not function this way. KEW if your priority is synths, GR if your priority is samples

• @rs2000 said:

@kobamoto said:
    and just to confirm grooverider lets you change sample per step as well right?

The GR way of doing it is using slices of a sample containing the different sounds.

so you'd need to know ahead of time and stitch together all related samples you wanted to use into one sample.... has anyone requested a simpler method like maybe the way ton does it?