Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quick audio scratchpad notes workflow

This is something I've been looking for in general for quick voice memos. Back when I was on Android I could set up a hardware button to be a press and hold voice memo button even while the phone was locked. One of the very few things I miss about Android.

This morning I was noodling around on my acoustic while catching up on some "Youtube news" and came up with a simple fingerpicking riff I wanted to keep. From my voice memo app hunting, I had found "Just Press Record", which lets you add a red button widget that will open the app and immediately start recording. I used that because it was ready to go. It certainly worked well, and was quick to access while I had this riff in my fingers, but it's not "a music app", for whatever that's worth. It has a full share sheet so it's easy to get into AudioShare or Ferrite (which I just discovered and I'm checking out), but I'm wondering if there are other options to simplify/consolidate and get a clean workflow that provides immediacy when you don't want to, or don't have time to say set up AUM and record enable it.

So, any workflow tips (maybe using the new Shortcuts stuff?) or field recorder apps for doing reactionary captures or "musical second brain" recordings?