Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy (HD) / AUM Best Practices?

13

Comments

  • @espiegel123 said:
    I recently realized that Loopy (HD) together with AUM is the right approach for an agile jamming/song sketching setup for me. It lets me work up some bits and record precisely-timed loops that I can drop into BeatHawk or the like and also record non-looped bits. I find it more convenient than working in a DAW.

    Oftentimes, I am using Bias AMP or ToneStack as an input to bring in my guitar.

    Here is my question. What is the best way to set up AUM and Loopy so that I can send from an AUM bus to Loopy to use as an input.

    I have something that works, but I have a feeling that there is a more elegant way to do it. I am using AB3, but I have seen a couple of people mention that you don't need AB3 -- that AUM can send to Loopy. But I haven't figured out how to make it work without using AB3. I have seen a reference somewhere to being able to choose AUM as the audio input source in Loopy (I have tried non-HD and HD) but have not been able to figure out how to do that.

    Any help?

    What I currently am doing is:

    IN AB3:

    • Add AUM as an audio source with Loopy HD connected as the destination
    • Add Loopy HD as an audio source with AUM as the destination

    IN AUM

    • I set up Mix Bus A with the destination "1: Loopy HD" from the IAA/AudioBus Output destination popup
    • I create sends to Mix Bus A for any channels that I want to record in Loopy.

    That works, but it is a lot more involved than what I have a few people mention. (It also gives me pause that I have an AUM to Loopy lane in AB3 and a Loopy to AUM lane. While I haven't experienced feedback, it seems like a possibility)

    AB2

  • @RUST( i )K : ?

    Are those meant as replies to the query that got this topic started?

  • edited May 2019

    I don’t have Loopy in the iPhone ATM but with GTL I can set it without AB.
    I start opening first GTL and in input windows choose AUM port (it shows 8) then I open AUM and choose in the output node IAA/AB output and select GTL.

    Note there are some slides in that embed IG. The first 3 from GTL iphone and the last 2 from AUM. Not AB involved in the process...

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:
    I don’t have Loopy in the iPhone ATM but with GTL I can set it without AB.
    I start opening first GTL and in input windows choose AUM port (it shows 8) then I open AUM and choose in the output node IAA/AB output and select GTL.

    Note there are some slides in that embed IG. The first 3 from GTL iphone and the last 2 from AUM. Not AB involved in the process...

    AB gives you the ability to set the loop multiples and start/stop recording without leaving AUM. And 12 loops. And each loop can have its own output in AUM if you want.

    Can you accomplish that with GTL/AUM without using AB?

  • edited May 2019

    I don’t think so (but it could be) due GTL limitations but also I don’t need it for my setup.
    I answer with these pics since IAA can be set without AB which I understood was the main question...
    If I will need multiple inputs into looper I will use AUM bus as funnel recording layer by layer never more than one at the same time. It’s a matter of workflow in my one but if you need multichannel recording loopy seems the way to go... even so it will require AB3 too AFAIK...
    If I undestood right (after reading your question once again) you should be able to select AUM in loopy to make it appear in AUM IAA/AB as I did in my slides. If you make it the right steps it appears, if not... not. So dabble a bit more inside loopy to find “input” until these arise in AUM...

  • @TheDubbyLabby : did you read through the thread? The questions that started the thread have long since (with dome tutorial pictures) been answered and the recent addition was a tutorial showing the workflow in action.

    The AB3 palette is a part of what makes the workflow do friendly.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    @TheDubbyLabby : did you read through the thread? The questions that started the thread have long since (with dome tutorial pictures) been answered and the recent addition was a tutorial showing the workflow in action.

    The AB3 palette is a part of what makes the workflow do friendly.

    No I didn’t, sorry... just trying to help as @RUST( i )K done...

    I will look into it and see if I can help in any way... since I don’t use loopy and AUM just as hardware mixer maybe I can’t be much more helpful... :sweat_smile:

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    @TheDubbyLabby : did you read through the thread? The questions that started the thread have long since (with dome tutorial pictures) been answered and the recent addition was a tutorial showing the workflow in action.

    The AB3 palette is a part of what makes the workflow do friendly.

    No I didn’t, sorry... just trying to help as @RUST( i )K done...

    I will look into it and see if I can help in any way... since I don’t use loopy and AUM just as hardware mixer maybe I can’t be much more helpful... :sweat_smile:

    The original question has long since been asked and answered. There is even a nice video tutorial.

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    @TheDubbyLabby : did you read through the thread? The questions that started the thread have long since (with dome tutorial pictures) been answered and the recent addition was a tutorial showing the workflow in action.

    The AB3 palette is a part of what makes the workflow do friendly.

    No I didn’t, sorry... just trying to help as @RUST( i )K done...

    I will look into it and see if I can help in any way... since I don’t use loopy and AUM just as hardware mixer maybe I can’t be much more helpful... :sweat_smile:

    The original question has long since been asked and answered. There is even a nice video tutorial.

    Yup I saw the whole post... includding myself november 18 lol...

    I’m happy you get the answer! I also learnt about using GTL/AUM without AB3 and read a bit more about @Michael ideas for LMp...
    but with GTL coming to iPhone (and with digitech trio+ if I get mad about iOS) I probably will never use loopy again. I need song structure and load next/previous song from midi bindings (both implemented in GTL) so I hope AUv3 looper arrives to AUM/AB3 for users who need more flexibility. :smile:

    For other loop composition duties I use BlocsWave... but I don’t use too much apps just recording from external hardware or garageband instruments (where I use directly garageband and route BlocsWave into it and record audio loops inside garage live loops etc). From there to desktop for further mixing editing...

  • QuantiLoop (QL?) is an alternative to GTL for looping in AUM without AB. I would be great if I could save the preset for this setup in one place instead of having to scatter it across AUM and another app, be it AB3 or GTL or QL.

  • Not sure why people are trying to take AB3 out of the equation. It adds so much. Particularly for the use-case the thread was started to discuss.

    Btw, maybe this isn't obvious. But with a little bit of one-time setup, you can add some midi controls to use Loopy as a structured looper if one wants a and b sections.

  • edited May 2019

    AB3 adds an additional step when loading and it introduces yet another layer of instability. For my purposes (live looping controlled by a MIDI foot pedal), I generally prefer AUM+QL, but I have AUM sessions saved for GTL and Loopy as well. All influenced and improved by the information in this thread.

  • @mojozart said:
    AB3 adds an additional step when loading and it introduces yet another layer of instability. For my purposes (live looping controlled by a MIDI foot pedal), I generally prefer AUM+QL, but I have AUM sessions saved for GTL and Loopy as well. All influenced and improved by the information in this thread.

    In the use-case the thread was started to discuss, AB3 doesn't really add additional steps. Saving in AB3, saves the configuration. You don't even need to save in AUM as AUM's state and setup gets saved. If any IAA apps are used and they have AB3 state-saving, that saves setup.

    The floating palette allows looping without leaving AUM or ApeMatrix. And convenient app-switching.

    And I find AB3 rock solid.

    Maybe those don't apply to GTL or Quantiloop--but that isn't what this thread is about.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    Not sure why people are trying to take AB3 out of the equation. It adds so much. Particularly for the use-case the thread was started to discuss.

    Btw, maybe this isn't obvious. But with a little bit of one-time setup, you can add some midi controls to use Loopy as a structured looper if one wants a and b sections.

    I answered to the first question which seemed that... but in my workflow is not about drop AB3, it’s about using one just app. If AB, AUM or any other looper could make quantized section launch and open next song from midi binding I will be very happy to try it.
    That’s why I said “glad to see you have your question answered” and “I can’t help much more” and “thanks for make me figure how to use AUM IAA without AB, even when I don’t need it”. One never knows when some info will be useful :wink:

  • edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @espiegel123 said:

    @mojozart said:
    AB3 adds an additional step when loading and it introduces yet another layer of instability. For my purposes (live looping controlled by a MIDI foot pedal), I generally prefer AUM+QL, but I have AUM sessions saved for GTL and Loopy as well. All influenced and improved by the information in this thread.

    In the use-case the thread was started to discuss, AB3 doesn't really add additional steps. Saving in AB3, saves the configuration. You don't even need to save in AUM as AUM's state and setup gets saved. If any IAA apps are used and they have AB3 state-saving, that saves setup.

    The floating palette allows looping without leaving AUM or ApeMatrix. And convenient app-switching.

    And I find AB3 rock solid.

    Maybe those don't apply to GTL or Quantiloop--but that isn't what this thread is about.

    Well if I had a nickel for every time a thread went a direction I intentionally intended to avoid...🤪

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    Not sure why people are trying to take AB3 out of the equation. It adds so much. Particularly for the use-case the thread was started to discuss.

    Btw, maybe this isn't obvious. But with a little bit of one-time setup, you can add some midi controls to use Loopy as a structured looper if one wants a and b sections.

    I answered to the first question which seemed that... but in my workflow is not about drop AB3, it’s about using one just app. If AB, AUM or any other looper could make quantized section launch and open next song from midi binding I will be very happy to try it.
    That’s why I said “glad to see you have your question answered” and “I can’t help much more” and “thanks for make me figure how to use AUM IAA without AB, even when I don’t need it”. One never knows when some info will be useful :wink:

    LoL

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @espiegel123 said:
    @RUST( i )K : ?

    Are those meant as replies to the query that got this topic started?

    Yes

    Best practices for AUM-Loopy-Audiobus

    Right ?

    That’s the topic and best practices in a question form means you are looking for meaningful setups using the predefined apps?

    You don’t seem to help the flow of this thread and ironically it’s yours.

    Everyone posting in it is attempting to contribute.

    Obviously I posted this based on the “original query “..

    😃

  • edited June 2019

    Removed grumpy reply

  • Let's keep constructive ourselves please.
    I think a good practice could be make a wiki article with the most interesting info and if the original question is not related, make two?

    We have lot of luck with all the info and spirit which makes AB more than app hub even for those of us who even don't use it (as app)

    Help others and go forward to improve our musical and living experience...

  • Hey, hello everybody. Thanks for resurrecting an old thread i had missed from November. This is good info. As a recap:

    • Original question was asked in Nov 2018
    • Answer was sorted (by the OP himself) pretty quickly
    • End of May 2019 the OP even posted a video demo of this setup working great.
    • the side-discussion of “I can do all this without Audiobus” is ... maybe worth another thread “best way to build a complex multi-input looping rig” that explores other looper apps.

    Loopy’s my jam, so I’m sticking with this workflow. There are some things to keep in mind:

    • Audiobus 3 now supports loading of presets by MIDI command. And it works freaking great!
    • In my experience AB3 preset recall is faster than standalone AUM preset loading... somehow possible even when the AB3 preset includes recalling an AUM saved state. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    • Audiobus 3 is a little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.
  • @Hmtx said:
    little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.

    By definition if I use just one app (GTL) vs GTL + any app (AB3/AUM/whatever) complexity is increased. So if I add one more as funnel or whatever function add an extra complexity layer...

    I use GTL mostly without anything else but if I can IAA directly (without AUM nor AB3 nor any host) then complexity is reduced (alongside boost in stability or almost common sense says that)

    I said this in that context and also said the point isn't against AB3 more than against any extra step in my uber simplified workflow where I even bought dedicated hardware for sounds and fx and I just use two or three apps (BlocsWave, Garageband and GTL). I even wondering buy a dedicated hardware mixer and avoid AUM for that duties...

    I bought Digitech trio+ as GTL replacement so go figure...

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Hmtx said:
    little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.

    By definition if I use just one app (GTL) vs GTL + any app (AB3/AUM/whatever) complexity is increased. So if I add one more as funnel or whatever function add an extra complexity layer...

    I use GTL mostly without anything else but if I can IAA directly (without AUM nor AB3 nor any host) then complexity is reduced (alongside boost in stability or almost common sense says that)

    I said this in that context and also said the point isn't against AB3 more than against any extra step in my uber simplified workflow where I even bought dedicated hardware for sounds and fx and I just use two or three apps (BlocsWave, Garageband and GTL). I even wondering buy a dedicated hardware mixer and avoid AUM for that duties...

    I bought Digitech trio+ as GTL replacement so go figure...

    GTL is a great app. Perhaps the point of this thread wasn't clear. The genesis of this was finding a nice realtime looping workflow for people that really dig their AUM setup and are looking to bring realtime looping in that context.

    It could also apply to people that love ApeMatrix.

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Hmtx said:
    little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.

    By definition if I use just one app (GTL) vs GTL + any app (AB3/AUM/whatever) complexity is increased. So if I add one more as funnel or whatever function add an extra complexity layer...

    I use GTL mostly without anything else but if I can IAA directly (without AUM nor AB3 nor any host) then complexity is reduced (alongside boost in stability or almost common sense says that)

    I said this in that context and also said the point isn't against AB3 more than against any extra step in my uber simplified workflow where I even bought dedicated hardware for sounds and fx and I just use two or three apps (BlocsWave, Garageband and GTL). I even wondering buy a dedicated hardware mixer and avoid AUM for that duties...

    I bought Digitech trio+ as GTL replacement so go figure...

    GTL is a great app. Perhaps the point of this thread wasn't clear. The genesis of this was finding a nice realtime looping workflow for people that really dig their AUM setup and are looking to bring realtime looping in that context.

    It could also apply to people that love ApeMatrix.

    I have it clear and stated myself clear (so agree) but arguing some info gets out of context and needs put things clear.

    Realtime isn’t equal to gig oriented. I can do realtime looping with iOS but I need to test GTL (or any single app) as stable option for gigging. Adding extra layers goes against stability so no option for me at gigging. If I can’t trust any single app I will keep iDevices just for home (realtime or not) and use just hardware for gigging.

    If we talk about best practices for looping, or for gigging or for gigging looping with AUm/AB/Apematrix it makes a huge difference... but let’s try to be common sense talking about layers and stability (including crashes and usb inconsistent behaviour) and make clear the context with our affirmations.

    Said that I explain (and try to understand each) POV and even suggest how to be useful in the long run. I don’t want to sound cathegoric just answered because you quoted me :wink:

    I get lot of useful info and better background from all of you so I can discuss properly and share info wisely. <3

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @espiegel123 said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Hmtx said:
    little more work to set everything up but does not add any level of “instability” as was suggested as a concern earlier up in the thread. If anything it is the glue that makes everything more stable.

    By definition if I use just one app (GTL) vs GTL + any app (AB3/AUM/whatever) complexity is increased. So if I add one more as funnel or whatever function add an extra complexity layer...

    I use GTL mostly without anything else but if I can IAA directly (without AUM nor AB3 nor any host) then complexity is reduced (alongside boost in stability or almost common sense says that)

    I said this in that context and also said the point isn't against AB3 more than against any extra step in my uber simplified workflow where I even bought dedicated hardware for sounds and fx and I just use two or three apps (BlocsWave, Garageband and GTL). I even wondering buy a dedicated hardware mixer and avoid AUM for that duties...

    I bought Digitech trio+ as GTL replacement so go figure...

    GTL is a great app. Perhaps the point of this thread wasn't clear. The genesis of this was finding a nice realtime looping workflow for people that really dig their AUM setup and are looking to bring realtime looping in that context.

    It could also apply to people that love ApeMatrix.

    I have it clear and stated myself clear (so agree) but arguing some info gets out of context and needs put things clear.

    Realtime isn’t equal to gig oriented. I can do realtime looping with iOS but I need to test GTL (or any single app) as stable option for gigging. Adding extra layers goes against stability so no option for me at gigging. If I can’t trust any single app I will keep iDevices just for home (realtime or not) and use just hardware for gigging.

    If we talk about best practices for looping, or for gigging or for gigging looping with AUm/AB/Apematrix it makes a huge difference... but let’s try to be common sense talking about layers and stability (including crashes and usb inconsistent behaviour) and make clear the context with our affirmations.

    Said that I explain (and try to understand each) POV and even suggest how to be useful in the long run. I don’t want to sound cathegoric just answered because you quoted me :wink:

    I get lot of useful info and better background from all of you so I can discuss properly and share info wisely. <3

    I am not arguing that you should do anything differently.

    You imply that adding anything--I.e the AB3/AUM/Loopy combination-- adds instability. I can say confidently that it is a stable combination. One needs to be careful about which plugins and synths use but that is a completely separate issue.

    So, I'd be careful about implying that this is not a stable setup.

  • The most unstable aspect of AUM+AB3 is loading the preset(s) from a fresh start. This can be very tense, particularly in a live performance.

    Looking ahead, by the way, IAA (e.g., Loopy) will be deprecated in the next iOS release. IAA probably won't go away for quite a while but this still may be a concern for someone setting up their live looping rig now. Unfortunately, all multitrack loopers are IAA, so I don't how things will resolve. (In an AUv3-only future, will AUM2 and AB4 each provide Looper functionality?)

  • @mojozart said:
    The most unstable aspect of AUM+AB3 is loading the preset(s) from a fresh start. This can be very tense, particularly in a live performance.

    Looking ahead, by the way, IAA (e.g., Loopy) will be deprecated in the next iOS release. IAA probably won't go away for quite a while but this still may be a concern for someone setting up their live looping rig now. Unfortunately, all multitrack loopers are IAA, so I don't how things will resolve. (In an AUv3-only future, will AUM2 and AB4 each provide Looper functionality?)

    For stability, it is generally best to freeze a rig and live with its limitations. I suspect it'll be a while before AUv3-only multi-looping on the level of what you can achieve with Loopy will be a while. On my iPad Gen 6, 24-tracks of Loopy + Loopy HD is stable and CPU-efficient. Mature old-school tech is often more stable because of being old-tech. The kinks have been worked out and are known. That is why NASA used to (and I assume still does) use "outdated" CPUs.

    I probably wouldn't want to change the my AUM/AB3 setup mid-performance, but I find it reliable after a fresh boot -- as long as I stick to reliable puzzle pieces.

Sign In or Register to comment.