Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for the perfect iPhone Drum Machine

I'm familiar with Patterning on the iPad and it's just stellar, with its MIDI-learn ability, sample import support, and randomizing features that allow for organic "jamming."

I'm looking for something similar for the iPhone. So far, I've been getting by with Funkbox and using Replicant (auv3) to add some randomization/dynamic qualities to the beats.

But does something out there exist that can:

1) Be controlled via MIDI controller (covering all the basics: mute, start/stop, record, hits, volume of each instrument)

2) Sample import (and the ability to "shape" the samples' attack, decay, add fx e.g. distortion, etc would be phenomenal.)

3) Have a randomizing feature that can add some of that organic quality so the track doesn't sound too repetitive?

I know Patterning is the perfect option here, but I'm hoping something exists on for the iPhone as I'm already loading up my iPad with too many synths and I don't want to push the CPU too hard for my live gigs. Even if anyone knows something that only partially covers some of the points I listed above, I would appreciate the suggestion from you!

Thanks,

CNSG

Comments

• And of course Ableton LINK!! :smiley:

• GrooveRider

• Grooverider GR16

• Stagelight may be in running.

• edited November 2018

Which iPhone model do you have? Depending on your iPhone model, I'd recommend Korg Electribe Wave. The interface is really f-cking small on my iPhone SE, but I can imagine it being okay on an iPhone 7 plus let alone a X, XR, XS, or XS Max. Korg finally allowed user sample import for the drum pads.

• Elastic drums plus IAP?

• Stagelight w stagepass

• Bram Bros
    Roseta XOX and LFO
    meets Vatinator

I'm sure there are more combos similar to this.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

As a drum machine, feature for feature, and according to your wish list, GR-16 beats out KEW by a long shot. (Though many prefer KEW overall)

Elastic drums hits most of your wish list too. Also, iSpark, though not one I end up using often.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Elastic drums plus IAP?

Seconded

• +1 Elastic Drums

• Elastic Drums is great, and it loads inside of ApeMatrix (...new here(only host))while GrooveRider doesn’t show up as an available import (doesn’t really need to...), happy drum hunting

• @ashen_hand said:
    Elastic Drums is great, and it loads inside of ApeMatrix (...new here(only host))while GrooveRider doesn’t show up as an available import (doesn’t really need to...), happy drum hunting

Sure it does. Check under the GEN or ALL tab.

• I didn’t know Stagelight had drum randomization?

• @JeffChasteen said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Elastic drums plus IAP?

Seconded

Thirded.

• @gusgranite said:
    I didn’t know Stagelight had drum randomization?

Just watched Doug’s video. I don’t think it does.

• 808 Drums with permutation options in this fine app.

• @Tarekith said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Elastic drums plus IAP?

Seconded

Thirded.

Fourthed

• @supadom said:

@Tarekith said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Elastic drums plus IAP?

Seconded

Thirded.

Fourthed

+1

@gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:
    I didn’t know Stagelight had drum randomization?

Just watched Doug’s video. I don’t think it does.

It doesn’t ,but it has a very cool velocity jitter ;)

• edited November 2018

Just want to say "thanks!" for everyone's suggestions. I went ahead with Elastic Drums because I was impressed by its MIDI implementation. Also, it has some cool momentary effects that reminded me of some of the effects in the Launchpad app (i.e. Delay, Tape stop, Stutter)

I do wish I had a better handle of how to hone in on a decent swing though. Also, wish there was MIDI control over this and over SOLO for individual instruments!

Additionally, although I have no idea why, I loaded the same samples in ED and then in Patterning with no (i.e. initialized) modifications, and for some reason, Patterning had just a better sound to my ears; more crisp or something. Not sure why.

Anyway, this is a huge breakthrough for me and I never thought I could get so much functionality out of my phone before, so thanks everyone for the suggestions. Currently, I intend to make ED and iElectribe my go to for beat making on the iPhone, and its just great to have so much control over all of it with my Novation Launch Control (not XL but the older, small version.)