Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Simplest solution for iPad as MIDI controller for Desktop DAW?

AKA, any way to get the Rozeta apps to control the combinator patches in Reason? 😎

Comments

• @JoshuaRex said:
    AKA, any way to get the Rozeta apps to control the combinator patches in Reason? 😎

Probably AUM...?

• I’d planned on that, I’m actually talking about getting my computer to recognize it as a control surface.

• edited November 2018

@JoshuaRex said:
    I’d planned on that, I’m actually talking about getting my computer to recognize it as a control surface.

Oh the Reason side, no idea

• Virtual port, maybe?

• If it's a Mac there quite a few options built into the OS.

1. Network MIDI (works via WIFI) - you set this up using the Audio Midi setup utility -> Window -> show MIDI Studio -> Network
    2. BLE MIDI (works via Bluetooth Low Energy) this one is also setup using the Audio Midi setup utility -> Window -> show MIDI Studio -> Bluetooth
    3. USB IDAM MIDI (inter-device audio/midi) for this one it's a bit different. Audio Midi setup utility -> Window -> show Audio Devices -> find your iPad -> click the little "enable" button
  • To add for Windows 10, there is

1. studiomux ios app

2. Hardware audio device iConnectAUDIO4+

• edited November 2018

@JoshuaRex said:
    I’d planned on that, I’m actually talking about getting my computer to recognize it as a control surface.

When IDAM is active the iPad itself is recognized as a Control Surface. You’ll get 16 bidirectional MIDI channels + another 1 In/Out channel - which will carry the same name of your iPad (this is the Control Surface set). The iPad-as-control-surface feature of IDAM was intro’d in iOS ‘11. IDAM has a few caveats that I don’t care for (it does audio, which is nice, but only a stereo I/O, and when IDAM is active it disables QT Movie recording (which I use for screen/audio recording from iOS, it also disables Content Caching & Internet Sharing, Photos transfer).

Network MIDI Session is by far most robust and works over USB/Wi-Fi/Ethernet. Here’s link to article of mine you might find useful: https://aud-ios.com/2018/03/23/the-macos-midi-network-session-guide/

• If you have midi ports on your audio interface or midi interface hooked to your computer, you could buy one of those usb-midi dongles and hook it on your ipad via usb-lightning dongle. That wouldnt require that much setting up each time you want to connect your ipads midi to your computer and is more reliable than software like studiomux on windows.

• @ToMess said:
    If you have midi ports on your audio interface or midi interface hooked to your computer, you could buy one of those usb-midi dongles and hook it on your ipad via usb-lightning dongle. That wouldnt require that much setting up each time you want to connect your ipads midi to your computer and is more reliable than software like studiomux on windows.

Yeah, I probably should have started off by saying I was running a Windows computer, lmao. But yeah, the message I’m getting here is that a MIDI interface is going to be necessary.

Actually I’ve really liked Studiomux as strictly a VST option but the whole setting up of remote ports is such a foreign concept to me