Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nevermind Naysayers iOS is the Now and Future ☕️

I’m just gonna leave this right here:

Special big up to the Wizards at Intua for Bm3.

Comments

• His remark about being able to make music like he was "18 years old again", with just one piece of gear etc. really resonated with me. He's spot on.

• Thanks for this!

• @brambos said:
    His remark about being able to make music like he was "18 years old again", with just one piece of gear etc. really resonated with me. He's spot on.

Indeed. His channel documents his journey back to finding his passion and recent success in music after an award winning initial run. He credits his recent re-emergence to switching over to iPad exclusive production because he can create whereever inspiration strikes and of course price of software.

Find it ironic that so many non professionals have such rigid opinions about what iOS/iPad can and can’t do. Meanwhile, actually gifted people are going about the real business of creating groovey shit and sharing it with people. Like yourself @brambos

Kudos.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Thanks for this!

The very least I could do was share this amazing inspiration ✊🏽! Such an amazing time to be alive that it is so easy to do so.

• Big up to Blocs Wave in there too

• Mhhh, yes and no. A lot apps are still very multi-touch unfriendly. And it‘s miles away from knobs.
    But indeed i often miss the direct touch on mac and wish Apple would get their ass up and make a real tablet OS or mac touch thingie.
    Otherwise there isn‘t much you couldn‘t do with a trackpad.
    Touching knobs is great but also feels a bit weird if i „drag“ the knobs trough the whole screen.
    But with 3D touch and better support from developers iPads would be amazing control tools and also workstations (if they get more RAM too).
    But in a genre where something like Beatmaker gives you all you need iPads are all you need :)
    At least until they cost 3K in the future.

• This has definitely been a good year for iOS music app wise. I lost faith in it a bit last year, and drifted back to desktop but I've plunged right back in again this year. Bram Bos, Audio Damage, Laurent Colson, Audio Modern's Riffer, apeSoft - plus other devs that have made their apps AU compatible have made the platform fun again. Jamming out stuff in AUM (and now ApeMatrix) is just so quick and inspiring for me - and though my desktop tools sometimes sound better, the iPad is really the best for capturing ideas.

I'm peed off about the headphone jack going, and the price of the new Pro, but the software's so good that I'll have to bite the bullet and get one at some point.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Big up to Blocs Wave in there too

No doubt. Special big up to the fine folks at @AmpifyxNovation

• @MonzoPro said:
    This has definitely been a good year for iOS music app wise. I lost faith in it a bit last year, and drifted back to desktop but I've plunged right back in again this year. Bram Bos, Audio Damage, Laurent Colson, Audio Modern's Riffer, apeSoft - plus other devs that have made their apps AU compatible have made the platform fun again. Jamming out stuff in AUM (and now ApeMatrix) is just so quick and inspiring for me - and though my desktop tools sometimes sound better, the iPad is really the best for capturing ideas.

I'm peed off about the headphone jack going, and the price of the new Pro, but the software's so good that I'll have to bite the bullet and get one at some point.

Yup yup. Who are we kidding? Everyone who still finds it necessary to visit this community will at some point upgrade to newer iPads then they have now. Too good.

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:
    His remark about being able to make music like he was "18 years old again", with just one piece of gear etc. really resonated with me. He's spot on.

Indeed.

For me it is like having my whole synth and drum machine collection (which took up a third of a room) that I had up into my 30s in my backpack. Except that it has three times the capabilities.

And your apps are a great part of it thank you.

• @brambos said:

This, a hundred times over. Everytime I get a bit frustrated by an app or fiddling with connecting two apps I step back and remember what I'm able to do with a single device that I can open and be creating in less than ten seconds. What a time to be alive. Thankful, indeed.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

This, a hundred times over. Everytime I get a bit frustrated by an app or fiddling with connecting two apps I step back and remember what I'm able to do with a single device that I can open and be creating in less than ten seconds. What a time to be alive. Thankful, indeed.

I like your attitude. I still find myself staring in to the 16 year old's room as he's sitting there before dual monitors, flanked by keyboards and working on a beat in FL and I get the full on lawn-man going, shaking my invisible fist and jealous AF for the life he's living. I know, just as it's supposed to be.... :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

I like your attitude. I still find myself staring in to the 16 year old's room as he's sitting there before dual monitors, flanked by keyboards and working on a beat in FL and I get the full on lawn-man going, shaking my invisible fist and jealous AF for the life he's living. I know, just as it's supposed to be.... :)

Swings and roundabouts though - when I was that age, me and a bunch of reprobates were squeezing uncomfortable noises from analogue synths, broken speakers, tape echoes, guitars and fx pedals. We'd jet off every weekend in a series of old coloured buses to campsites, parties and festivals, take industrial quantities of alcohol and drugs, and sonically terrify whoever was in the vacinity. Very occasionally we'd blag our way into a proper gig, casue a small riot, and escape with the headlining bands women.

And in the school band previous to that - the first proper electronic band in Basildon, a group of us were hammering away on MS20's, before passing on gigs and selling equipment to a certain other band that became somewhat better known.

Now much as I like having a good selection of AU's to run in AUM while I'm sitting in my armchair with a glass of wine, I don't think I'd want to swap all that for an iPad Pro. ;)

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@brambos said:

Swings and roundabouts though - when I was that age, me and a bunch of reprobates were squeezing uncomfortable noises from analogue synths, broken speakers, tape echoes, guitars and fx pedals. We'd jet off every weekend in a series of old coloured buses to campsites, parties and festivals, take industrial quantities of alcohol and drugs, and sonically terrify whoever was in the vacinity. Very occasionally we'd blag our way into a proper gig, casue a small riot, and escape with the headlining bands women.

And in the school band previous to that - the first proper electronic band in Basildon, a group of us were hammering away on MS20's, before passing on gigs and selling equipment to a certain other band that became somewhat better known.

Now much as I like having a good selection of AU's to run in AUM while I'm sitting in my armchair with a glass of wine, I don't think I'd want to swap all that for an iPad Pro. ;)

Nicely done. And of course you're right. It's just the time gone I'm missing already.... :)

• edited November 2018

I don't know... to me BM3 isn't tactile at all... I struggle to dial in values I want.
    "...taking it to the beach with a headphone..." don't forget the dongle lol

• Automating ProQ2 in BM3 is my new fetish.

• @recccp said:
    I don't know... to me BM3 isn't tactile at all... I struggle to dial in values I want.
    "...taking it to the beach with a headphone..." don't forget the dongle lol

Using the X/Y in BM3 I find it fairly tacticle for doing manual automation. Some things aren't but there is usually a way to make them tactile as most paramaters can by macro'd.

I've been using iOS for tracking for the last 2 years. The funny thing is I had people from this very forum tell me I was expecting too much from an iPad by using it to do professional drum tracking. Now we saying it IS professional, LOL.

Whatever youtube tells us is gospel I guess. I'm a huge Henny fan though.

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:

I get that from BlocsWave. That’s the only true app I keep and yesterday looking for packs I felt meh.

Today I bougth, another standalone piece of hardware, an studiologic numa compact 2.
    I plugged it into itrack dock and use logic remote with mainstage. I have some new apps like NeoSoul studio keyboard (but I forgot it today when I was trying the keyboard) but even so I bought the numa since it has its own sounds and weights only 7’5kg.
    For some gigs it will be the only tool of choice. For others I will carry the iPad/dock combo and for the biggest... all (includding a windows machine for visuals alongside the mac mini).

I will love to believe the OP video but for live gigging I can’t. I haven’t an iPad pro of course but for that price I will never bought it neither (until someting like Mainstage running over something like macOS in stability terms emerges).

I hope new iOS13 or whatever proves me wrong but anyways prices are just mad. iPad pro is only pro in name for live use. That includes BM3 and Stagelight probably (now I’m testing it). Also I need to export from BW into SL to check if I can do the same like Ableton (which in the end is few steps but BM3 was unable to) and then take conclusions.

It’s a shame and I gone full iOS so no free rant. iOS11 was a wrecking ball and iOS12 isn’t still enough better IMHO.

ITOH multicam video recording with OBS is straightforward meanwhile the similar approach in iOS has higher requeriments from devices and limited by disk memory (tried with recolive some time ago. It was promising but a mess... Wifi but unstable... not true professional against a free app in desktop... f##k!).

iOS is near but it isn’t suitable certain pro jobs IMO which, my bad, are the ones I need.
    I suspect that was the reason behind Apple keynote mac mini part talking about Mainstage users...

Jump into 4:15
    There are references from Logic/Mainstage before but there you can find the sentence to prove my point.

Mac mini is the perfect component for many creative uses like running Mainstage and sound rig for live performances...

And then he keeps pointing other professional duties.

To me it’s like Apple slowed on purpose mac series over years to let iDevices get the enough performance to run old OSX. Then started to boost the computers (with better or worse results) alongside prices includding iPad pro so now we have Pro mobile and Pro desktop/laptop but both far expensive (someone could say overpriced)... so it ends when all of us can figure by ourselves how an updated old mac hardware (ssd+ram) could still be a proper solution in between at fair price.

So iOS needs to step up to claim Pro label. Hardware seems ready, platform still lacks and Apple seems forcing knows it. I hope Photoshop port open all of this truly professional apps (in performance terms) to the platform and Apple do their homework helping devs. Anyways I’m out for the new hardware, I will keep buying old and optimizing it for my needs due it seems the only way to fit my needs on budget.

• edited November 2018

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@brambos said:

There are references from Logic/Mainstage before but there you can find the sentence to prove my point.

Mac mini is the perfect component for many creative uses like running Mainstage and sound rig for live performances...

To me it’s like Apple slowed on purpose mac series over years to let iDevices get the enough performance to run old OSX. Then started to boost the computers (with better or worse results) alongside prices includding iPad pro so now we have Pro mobile and Pro desktop/laptop but both far expensive (someone could say overpriced)... so it ends when all of us can figure by ourselves how an updated old mac hardware (ssd+ram) could still be a proper solution in between at fair price.

Disagree. Intel slowed down the performance issue. But along came AMD and now there's panic. So suddenly have i5 (8th gen) with 4 cores, etc. But Apple is still holding down, instead to put such a speedy thing in the new Air, they choose for the new low voltage Y series by Intel, which are just slow.
    Another problems is that Apple introducted the T2 chip which makes repairing/ upgrading that was already hard because they glue and solder everything more and more together

So iOS needs to step up to claim Pro label. Hardware seems ready, platform still lacks and Apple seems forcing knows it. I hope Photoshop port open all of this truly professional apps (in performance terms) to the platform and Apple do their homework helping devs. Anyways I’m out for the new hardware, I will keep buying old and optimizing it for my needs due it seems the only way to fit my needs on budget.

To become a truly Pro platform iOS need to be more open, free file access and the possibilty to use a cursor to navigate. Free file access means that Apple will loose control so I don't see this happen. Mouse input will probably happen somewhere in the future, because MacOS and iOS will like merge.
    This all said iOS is a platform where a lot of creative/ inventive people are and programming so maybe will see new creative ways of file handling.

• @mannix said:
    To become a truly Pro platform iOS need to be more open, free file access and the possibilty to use a cursor to navigate. Free file access means that Apple will loose control so I don't see this happen. Mouse input will probably happen somewhere in the future, because MacOS and iOS will like merge.
    This all said iOS is a platform where a lot of creative/ inventive people are and programming so maybe will see new creative ways of file handling.

A cursor would be most welcome. I'm pretty satisfied with the pencil but it's a stupid design regarding charging and all that.

The file system isn't too bad anymore, shortcuts brings a lot of tricks.

• @mannix said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@brambos said:

Disagree. Intel slowed down the performance issue. But along came AMD and now there's panic. So suddenly have i5 (8th gen) with 4 cores, etc. But Apple is still holding down, instead to put such a speedy thing in the new Air, they choose for the new low voltage Y series by Intel, which are just slow.
    Another problems is that Apple introducted the T2 chip which makes repairing/ upgrading that was already hard because they glue and solder everything more and more together

Intel was part of the problem like apple going thinner and low consumption so that’s why I’m saying slowing on purpose
    What part you disagree? The new boost?
    That’s why I said better or worst refering to failed macpro, expensive iMac pro and mac mini never more an entry level machine but Apple pointing them as perfect tools for live performance instead releasing Logic/Mainstage for iOS.

• @BroCoast said:

@mannix said:

A cursor would be most welcome. I'm pretty satisfied with the pencil but it's a stupid design regarding charging and all that.

The file system isn't too bad anymore, shortcuts brings a lot of tricks.

I was of this opinion regarding the file system, until I noticed one big issue for me: When you send files from the device to the cloud to store them, iOS makes backups of used files in iCloud Drive. Problem is these files in iCloud Drive are not flushable. As I make a lot of musical files for backup, this storage space is too precious to lose. I recently had to restart my whole iPad from scratch as the amount of space lost was stopping me making any more music! The toggling off of the iCloud Drive just stops the whole file cloud system from being usable.

The iPad just doesn’t let you clean up files on its system well enough and we all know how much larger storage on iPads costs. Until iPads allow external storage to be used like on a laptop, I will always consider them to be nerfed computers.