Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

auGEN X from auDSPr available for preorder in the app store

Comments

• It's an oscillator?

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:
    It's an oscillator?

Yep wave generator with modulation. Split into noise section and wave section each with modulation.

• @brambos said:
    It's an oscillator?

Animal, vegetable, or mineral?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@brambos said:
    It's an oscillator?

Yep wave generator with modulation. Split into noise section and wave section each with modulation.

It soooorta seems like it at least needs a couple envelopes... I mean it may be cool to pump it through Perforator or AD's Replicant... Guess we'll have to see what folks come up with and see some demos...

• It def has surprising creative uses. It’s also a precision tool for all sorts of calibration and comparison tasks. Haven’t been testing for long but I find myself reaching for it way more often than I would have expected. Not to be underestimated!

• I've been testing, it's a proper sound design tool, really unique no other app like it. It will be the first of several apps by this developer who has a history of synthesizer and effect building. He did the reverbs in the Alesis Andromeda A6.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@brambos said:
    It's an oscillator?

It soooorta seems like it at least needs a couple envelopes... I mean it may be cool to pump it through Perforator or AD's Replicant... Guess we'll have to see what folks come up with and see some demos...

agreed

• i'm in the beta group so I've been playing with it quite a bit. while midi and envelopes would be cool, I think this thing is doing something different than trying to be a classic synth. I'd like to see midi in and envelopes, but I'd hate to see it turn into another run of the mill synth. If envelopes are added, I'd love to see it take a more modular path than an all in one synth. I think Auv3 is really not suited for synths with many pages that have all the bells and whistles. I personally prefer things that are stripped down to the core and do one thing really well.

At first glance this tone generator might seem very limited, but once you delve in deeper, you'll find you can get some pretty wild sounds out of it (especially by mapping things to LFO's in ApeMatrix. Probably the best synth out there to get into that Radiophonic Workshop territory. I imagine it will get a lot of mileage for my sound design work.

Plus it's great for testing equipment!
    It's definitely geared for the experimental musician and/or studio engineer, so if you're a preset synth sort of person, it's not for you.

• edited November 2018

@palm said:
    i'm in the beta group so I've been playing with it quite a bit. while midi and envelopes would be cool, I think this thing is doing something different than trying to be a classic synth. I'd like to see midi in and envelopes, but I'd hate to see it turn into another run of the mill synth. If envelopes are added, I'd love to see it take a more modular path than an all in one synth. I think Auv3 is really not suited for synths with many pages that have all the bells and whistles. I personally prefer things that are stripped down to the core and do one thing really well.

At first glance this tone generator might seem very limited, but once you delve in deeper, you'll find you can get some pretty wild sounds out of it (especially by mapping things to LFO's in ApeMatrix. Probably the best synth out there to get into that Radiophonic Workshop territory. I imagine it will get a lot of mileage for my sound design work.

It's definitely geared for the experimental musician and/or studio engineer, so if you're a preset synth sort of person, it's not for you.

It doesn’t need envelopes or polyphony etc.. but I feel it does need midi note input so the created tone can be used at different intervals also parameter sync to BPM of host.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@palm said:
    i'm in the beta group so I've been playing with it quite a bit. while midi and envelopes would be cool, I think this thing is doing something different than trying to be a classic synth. I'd like to see midi in and envelopes, but I'd hate to see it turn into another run of the mill synth. If envelopes are added, I'd love to see it take a more modular path than an all in one synth. I think Auv3 is really not suited for synths with many pages that have all the bells and whistles. I personally prefer things that are stripped down to the core and do one thing really well.

It doesn’t need envelopes or polyphony etc.. but I feel it does need midi note input so the created tone can be used at different intervals also sync to BPM of host.

agreed! sync would be especially welcome.

• I was on the team for a little while I guess the dev got mad because I told him that this app should be a sampler like space craft allow users to import audio files the app has a cool sound manipulation effect but getting new sounds in should be easier. I told him to add Audiobus, audio share import possibly link etc. Ithink that an avid user will get bored fast with the initial presets and desire to bless their own audio Ike’s with the magic. I guess he did not get it.

• edited November 2018

@oldschoolwillie said:
    I was on the team for a little while I guess the dev got mad because I told him that this app should be a sampler like space craft allow users to import audio files the app has a cool sound manipulation effect but getting new sounds in should be easier. I told him to add Audiobus, audio share import possibly link etc. Ithink that an avid user will get bored fast with the initial presets and desire to bless their own audio Ike’s with the magic. I guess he did not get it.

Well to be fair, nowhere in the description of the app does it sound like the developer's vision was to make a sampler. This sounds like requesting a completely different application.

I understand the usefulness of this app, and am interested in having a really well done tone generator, but I question what all the small forum hype has been about given that this seems more designed with 'helpful tool' in mind than 'fun experimental earth shatterer'.

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    I was on the team for a little while I guess the dev got mad because I told him that this app should be a sampler like space craft allow users to import audio files the app has a cool sound manipulation effect but getting new sounds in should be easier. I told him to add Audiobus, audio share import possibly link etc. Ithink that an avid user will get bored fast with the initial presets and desire to bless their own audio Ike’s with the magic. I guess he did not get it.

um, with all due respect... it sounds to me like you didn't get it. This app has nothing to do with samples. I can see why the developer would be offended. You're basically saying "yeah the thing you worked really hard making, I wish it was an entirely different thing"
    A bit like buying a bicycle and then complaining that it doesn't have jet engines.

as I said before, if you are not an audio engineer or an experimental music maker/sound designer, then you will likely have zero use for this app.

I for one am very excited for this app and think it does what it sets out to do very well. The sheer range of the oscillators is a beautiful thing. There's no tool quite like it in Auv3 or standalone.

• I’m beta testing as well. It took me a while to get my head around the app but once I loaded multiples into ApeMatrix and started modulating some of the parameters I saw the potential. If the developer is able to add some tempo syncing options I think this will be a killer little sound module.

@palm is right. I think you will be able to get sounds out of this thing different to any other app on iOS. That’s a big selling point.

• @palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

um, with all due respect... it sounds to me like you didn't get it. This app has nothing to do with samples. I can see why the developer would be offended. You're basically saying "yeah the thing you worked really hard making, I wish it was an entirely different thing"
    A bit like buying a bicycle and then complaining that it doesn't have jet engines.

as I said before, if you are not an audio engineer or an experimental music maker/sound designer, then you will likely have zero use for this app.

I for one am very excited for this app and think it does what it sets out to do very well. The sheer range of the oscillators is a beautiful thing. There's no tool quite like it in Auv3 or standalone.

With all due respect I tested out the app that comes with initial presets
    It gave my honest opinion on the app, It should be a sampler or at least have the ability to process incoming audio.
    In my opinion this app would sell more as a sampler or enabling the user to import their own audio files from Audioshare. that is my job as a beta tester. Testing the apps functionality, and making suggestions that "I feel" would improve the app. Audio file import or sampling would make this a "KILLER" app. If it is released as it currently is NOT so much....Yes I got what he was doing but I saw a bigger vision, This app could have been the next spacecraft..............

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    that is my job as a beta tester. Testing the apps functionality, and making suggestions that "I feel" would improve the app.

Unless the developer gave a different description, that's certainly not how I would define a beta-tester's job.

Beta testing is aimed at finding problems, bugs, issues in the functionality as implemented by the developer. Most developers are obviously open to getting suggestions, but - frankly - when you're beta testing you just want to get the product out without bugs, not change the direction of the product. That would be market research and it happens at a different project stage :)

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    that is my job as a beta tester. Testing the apps functionality, and making suggestions that "I feel" would improve the app.

Unless the developer gave a different description, that's certainly not how I would define a beta-tester's job.

Beta testing is aimed at finding problems, bugs, issues in the functionality as implemented by the developer. Most developers are obviously open to getting suggestions, but - frankly - when you're beta testing you just want to get the product out without bugs, not change the direction of the product. That would be market research and it happens at a different project stage :)

Beta testing is all of those things as well thanks Bram, I was only trying to be helpful.
    Noir is a nice app I like the way you deviated from the design of the earlier Ruismaker apps. Good call. From the initial demos I did not know what to make of it, but after watching the DJ puzzle demo video I was sold. I bought it and I own several of your other apps as well. Ruismaker Noir is a wicked dirty 808 baseline maker. If it was not for DJ puzzle I might have looked it over. Oh and I am still on the testing team for this app, as well as testing several others as well.

Ruismaker Noir Hip Hop beat demo

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

It gave my honest opinion on the app, It should be a sampler or at least have the ability to process incoming audio.
    In my opinion this app would sell more as a sampler or enabling the user to import their own audio files from Audioshare. that is my job as a beta tester. Testing the apps functionality, and making suggestions that "I feel" would improve the app. Audio file import or sampling would make this a "KILLER" app. If it is released as it currently is NOT so much....Yes I got what he was doing but I saw a bigger vision, This app could have been the next spacecraft..............

I beg to differ. I think that would make it just like the hundreds of other half baked apps that try to do too much.

I'd rather have one app that does one thing really well (which this does). I think that this approach suits the Auv3 format best.

I don't see how this app relates to spacecraft in the least. I'm on the beta for SC as well and the only things the two have in common is that the developers have a clear vision as to what they want their plugin to be, and they're both determined to keep them dead simple to use.

all I'm saying, is maybe try to see it from the developer's side.

Bram said it best. the beta tester's job isn't to tell the developer what to do or what the app should be. it's simply to test an app for bugs and give feedback. you can make suggestions, sure, but demands...? no, that's just rude.

when you make statements like this:

"dev got mad because I told him that this app should be a sampler like space craft"

.. I gotta say, I would find that offensive as well and it shouldn't be surprising that they gave you the boot. Look, Spacecraft already exists. It's superb. we don't need another spacecraft. Not everyone is trying to make "the next big thing" and I think many users will find this really useful. It is certainly an app that many professional audio folks will gravitate to. no, it's not going to ever be featured on the app store, and I doubt the dev has any such illusions.
    yes, it's intended for a relatively niche market where there happens to be a gap. How many other oscillator utility Auv3 plugins are out there??
    and yet there are dozens of sample manglers and such.

If you had read the developer's statement before testing, it could have saved you from the expectation for this to be something it isn't:

"You can think of auGEN X in two ways: first, it is a handy utility for making audio test sounds, and second, it is a performable creative sound design tool. On one end use auGEN X to help set up, test, calibrate, and optimize your audio system. On the other end use it to create a wide variety of interesting sounds. auGEN X has a full-featured audio oscillator, a high quality noise generator, and an impulse generator. The simple yet powerful user interface is designed for fast, precise, intuitive control over your signals. auGEN X works both as a Stand-Alone App and as an AUv3 Audio Unit Extension."

"I started making this App because as an audio electronics engineer I could not find a single audio generator that does everything that I require AND is an AUv3 Audio Unit. It has developed into a cool tool for exploring sound design. Our goal is for auGEN X to be one of your Essentials in your audio toolbox. We hope you enjoy it and we’re excited to see and hear the cool things that you do with auGEN X!"

• @palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

I beg to differ. I think that would make it just like the hundreds of other half baked apps that try to do too much.

I'd rather have one app that does one thing really well (which this does). I think that this approach suits the Auv3 format best.

I don't see how this app relates to spacecraft in the least. I'm on the beta for SC as well and the only things the two have in common is that the developers have a clear vision as to what they want their plugin to be, and they're both determined to keep them dead simple to use.

Bram said it best. the beta tester's job isn't to tell the developer what to do or what the app should be. it's simply to test an app for bugs and give feedback. you can make suggestions, sure, but demands...? no, that's just rude.

"dev got mad because I told him that this app should be a sampler like space craft"

.. I gotta say, I would find that offensive as well and it shouldn't be surprising that they gave you the boot. Look, Spacecraft already exists. It's superb. we don't need another spacecraft. Not everyone is trying to make "the next big thing" and I think many users will find this really useful. It is certainly an app that many professional audio folks will gravitate to. no, it's not going to ever be featured on the app store, and I doubt the dev has any such illusions.
    yes, it's intended for a relatively niche market where there happens to be a gap. How many other oscillator utility Auv3 plugins are out there??

If you had read the developer's statement before testing, it could have saved you from the expectation for this to be something it isn't:

"You can think of auGEN X in two ways: first, it is a handy utility for making audio test sounds, and second, it is a performable creative sound design tool. On one end use auGEN X to help set up, test, calibrate, and optimize your audio system. On the other end use it to create a wide variety of interesting sounds. auGEN X has a full-featured audio oscillator, a high quality noise generator, and an impulse generator. The simple yet powerful user interface is designed for fast, precise, intuitive control over your signals. auGEN X works both as a Stand-Alone App and as an AUv3 Audio Unit Extension."

"I started making this App because as an audio electronics engineer I could not find a single audio generator that does everything that I require AND is an AUv3 Audio Unit. It has developed into a cool tool for exploring sound design. Our goal is for auGEN X to be one of your Essentials in your audio toolbox. We hope you enjoy it and we’re excited to see and hear the cool things that you do with auGEN X!"

+1 well said, totally agree there’s a way of going about beta liaison and that’s not the way!

• @palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

Clearly you cannot read I stated that I made a suggestion that it would be great as a sampler....PERIOD.
    To be honest with you the dev probably did not even get angry about it.......I'M STILL ON THE TESTING TEAM
    You act like I demanded him to turn it into a sampler ......YOU SOUND dumb...
    Anyway I have better things to do than joust over such BS
    Go LIVE your LIFE it's a holiday.......I have NO further comments on this foolishness....

• edited November 2018

The developer who created this app is awesome and very open to suggestions if they fit into the original design of course. Like Bram said beta testing is to just try to find bugs 🐛 and functionality issues to help the dev get the thing out. If there was more focus on finding bugs for the dev then there would be less issues on release.

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@palm said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

Clearly you cannot read I stated that I made a suggestion that it would be great as a sampler....PERIOD.
    To be honest with you the dev probably did not even get angry about it.......I'M STILL ON THE TESTING TEAM
    You act like I demanded him to turn it into a sampler ......YOU SOUND dumb...
    Anyway I have better things to do than joust over such BS
    Go LIVE your LIFE it's a holiday.......I have NO further comments on this foolishness....

lol, ok 🙃

Peace

• edited December 2018

This app has become fricken awesome! One to watch out for!

• I am still confused. What is this?
    I am imagining an Italizer type of sound coming from performing with this, but I have no idea, so that is probably wrong.
    :D

• @CracklePot said:
    I am still confused. What is this?
    I am imagining an Italizer type of sound coming from performing with this, but I have no idea, so that is probably wrong.
    :D

Well now it has midi note in and sync to host BPM. So you can make some incredible sounds.

• edited December 2018

I’m making a Pre-Release for this, it’s just so much fun and possibly the best Sci-Fi Special FX AUv3 out there, think Dr Who meets Outer Limits

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    I’m making a Pre-Release for this, it’s just so much fun and possibly the best Sci-Fi Special FX AUv3 out there, think Dr Who meets Outer Limits

Do you have the updated beta from today Doug?

• this bridges the divide between audio tool and sound effect maker. it is not for everyone. like someone said above, if youre a synth preset kinda user, stay away. in my testing i have designed some ridiculously interesting sounds for industrial techno and experimental ambient/spacial music. you need to be into experimentation and willing to make your own sounds to get the most here. i love it and the dev is a great guy with more apps in store for us in the future.

• Yep, the latest beta update makes this a bit special. Midi note in and tempo sync. Lovely.

• Agreed, I loved it before, and the new beta update just makes it that much more playable. If that means anything, the initial beta became a must for me early enough that I pre-ordered it weeks ago.

For sound design, auGEN is like getting an endlessly customizable set of scalpels. Might not be for everyone, and I don’t recommend replacing your silverware with it. I could imagine the uses of the noise generator more easily. But I’m pleasantly surprised by how much there is to explore with an absurdly precise set of (virtually) alias free wave generators with freq and amplitude sweeping functionality (+ duty cycle control on relevant shapes).

I’m also surprised by how often I use auGEN as reference for everything from mixing duties to getting a more solid handle on what specific AUv3 effects are doing. If the current trend continues, I’ll be firing it up in every iOS music making session.

Which brings me to one last point: as I hoped, the dev says he plans to add iphone support down the road, which is really the one thing I found myself missing from the first version of the beta.