Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you limit the display framerate to 60 Hz?

Now owning an 12.9 2nd gen., I am unsure whether I should limit the framerate to 60 Hz for the sake of musical Apps.

Did any of you limit the framerate?
Because of noticeable differences / problems with 120 Hz?

Comments

• I haven't. I find that in iOS12 graphical performance has been much optimized compared to iOS11.

• tjatja
    edited November 2018

@brambos said:
    I haven't. I find that in iOS12 graphical performance has been much optimized compared to iOS11.

Thanks, will follow your lead :)

• What was wrong with the frame rate before? I was using the 10.5 and never bothered lowering it cause I didn't notice any problem at all.

• edited November 2018

I assume that @tja was worried because of the significantly increased graphics workload when at 120 Hz, which might affect realtime (audio) performance... if I were able to afford such an iPad ;), I would probably limit the framerate to 60 Hz as well just to be safe. Is there really a huge noticeable difference between 60 and 120 Hz? I mean, I have extremely fast visual perception, but around 50 or 60 Hz I stop noticing the individual frames.

• @SevenSystems said:
    I assume that @tja was worried because of the significantly increased graphics workload when at 120 Hz, which might affect realtime (audio) performance... if I were able to afford such an iPad ;), I would probably limit the framerate to 60 Hz as well just to be safe. Is there really a huge noticeable difference between 60 and 120 Hz? I mean, I have extremely fast visual perception, but around 50 or 60 Hz I stop noticing the individual frames.

Gamers say, that you need about 100 Hz :) ;)

But yes, my thought was, that the higher framerate could negatively affect audio performance.

• I haven’t had any problems. I honestly can’t stand looking at the iPad without the 120hz refresh lol. Makes everything feel so fluid

• When nothing on screen is moving, Pro Motion automatically drops the frame rate from 120Hz in order to save processing power, and battery life.

• @mistercharlie said:
    When nothing on screen is moving, Pro Motion automatically drops the frame rate from 120Hz in order to save processing power, and battery life.

Yes, this could potentially add to audio problems.
    But Pro Motion cannot be disabled, IIRC, only limited to a maximum of 60 Hz.

• Would this improve battery life?

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Would this improve battery life?

Yes.

• edited November 2018

@SevenSystems said:

Well, if you were drawing using Illustrator or Affinity Designer, trust me, you would see the difference. At this framerate it's like drawing on a paper sheet :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Would this improve battery life?

Yes.

B)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    hm, is the display frame rate connected to touch input latency?

I doubt you'd be able to notice a difference of 1/120th of a second.

• @brambos said:

@Max23 said:
    hm, is the display frame rate connected to touch input latency?

I doubt you'd be able to notice a difference of 1/120th of a second.

Not so fast (pun intended)! :) that's roughly 10 milliseconds, and for example many keyboard players find that much latency atrocious... so if touch latency is indeed linked to display refresh rate, then 120 fps might actually make sense for live music app use...

• edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @SevenSystems said:
    Not so fast (pun intended)! :) that's roughly 10 milliseconds

Very roughly... only 8ms, actually.. and that's the maximum latency.. on average you'll only get half of that, so the difference is not nearly as dramatic as you're making it out to be B)

• edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2018

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Not so fast (pun intended)! :) that's roughly 10 milliseconds

Very roughly... only 8ms, actually.. and that's the maximum latency.. on average you'll only get half of that, so the difference is not nearly as dramatic as you're making it out to be B)

so display refresh rate and touch input latency are connected?
    or they aren't ?

CORRECTION: They apparently are...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3235709/iphone-ipad/iphone-x-samples-touch-input-at-120hz-for-faster-smoother-response.html

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have been limiting it, and it still does make a difference on 12 for me, less cpu spikes when pushing the ipad to the max when at 60hz.

• So, as long we do not saturate the CPU, the higher frequency means better input registry (which is good).
    And of course it just looks better.

But if CPU is an issue, it may be better to restrict it.

BTW, i would like a flag to also disable Pro Motion completely, as it means that when nothing changes, the frequency will get lower - and most probably also the input registry.
    This could be bad for live playing.

Apple tends to add way too much automatisms, or too few ways to control the behavior B)