Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gen 3 iPad pro users: Have you noticed significant CPU spikes?

Comments

• edited November 2018

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Carnbot said:
    Seems familiar to last year, amazed Apple aren't getting this right still.
    I'm on 2nd gen 12.9 and have an issue with iOS 12.1 and my iconnectivity power supply, which disconnects when the display goes to sleep which is a bug. But as usual iOS is never at it's best until .3 or .4 of the release cycle.

Does it perform better with display at 60hz?

Check your settings under Touch ID and passcode. There should be an option at the bottom for USB accessories to work when locked. It’s orobbaly off by default. See if that helps

Thanks, I forgot about that setting, looks like it might be the culprit. :) Maybe it got reset when I updated to 12.1. but it was on before. But even if it when off it's only supposed to block usb if it's been locked for an hour and it was blocking it instantly. Fingers crossed it's fixed it.

edit: Thought it fixed it, but no, still have the issue. Plus have unusual reboots occasionally. I think iOS 12.1 is a bad one so far.

• I’ve been experiencing pretty poor performances my self with the new Pro 11”.
    AUM has been crashing regularly and I can’t do a simple session without putting the buffer between 512 to 1024 frames ( forget 128)if I don’t want to have crackles and also renders working with apps like rozeta useless and with horrible timing and swing issues funnily my iPad Pro 2016 performs almost better which is a bit underwhelming after all the talk about this new iPad being faster than most laptop and all Also I’m really hoping devs will update theirs apps to suit the new format.
    Anyways beautiful machine with a lot of potential.

• @XanderJames @slcrz @gosnote @david_2017 @MichaelLawrence you need to submit this bug to Apple as soon as you can...The more they have complains the quicker the fix will be published...
    That's very bad add for xmas sales, so push hard as you can guys !
    I'll push with you next week while I got my pro 11...

• Where do I post this?

• edited November 2018

Hi All, new user on this forum, but not an Audiobus user yet. I just wanted to chime in because I've been working with Apple's Support Engineers on this very issue; specifically, any music app I use will cause extreme audio dropouts/stuttering on the new 12.9" iPad Pro.

So after Apple support escalated me to their Top Tier Support team (with direct contact to their Engineers) and they had me send my Diagnostic Log files direct to them (they actually connected to my iPad Pro for this) while using the apps in question (Moog Model 15, Layr, AUM, AudioKit Pro Synth One; all of which stutter extremely on the new iPad Pro even when using a single instance of the app without a host) they did confirm that there seems to be a Hardware incompatibility issue between the new iPad Pros and [at least] those particular apps, if not others. They were embarrassed by this and apologized profusely, and they asked me to contact one of those developers (such as Moog Music) and give them my Apple Case number, explain the situation, and have their Devs contact their Apple Support Engineer to help troubleshoot what could be causing this incompatibility.

Someone on the GS forums suggested this may be the cause:

"Here's a guess: the A12X SOC in the new iPad Pros has four high efficiency cores and four high performance cores. For some reason iOS is running the apps on the high efficiency cores, and they don't have enough performance. Hence the very high CPU utilisation and the audio dropouts: the calculations for each audio buffer may not complete before the next buffer is required, and the situation is made worse if the app is doing anything else such as drawing its UI. iOS should be running the apps on the high performance cores, but some sort of bug specific to the new iPad Pros is preventing that happening. if it is this then it's not a question of developers needing to update their apps, it's one for Apple."

So I just submitted this to my Support Engineer contact and will see if they can confirm this or work with it. Hope this helps some of you here...

• @genshi thanks for the update, let us know if you hear any more from Apple :)

• I reached out for some devs too.
    Wasn’t there some issues with gadget too?!?

• @richardyot said:
    @genshi thanks for the update, let us know if you hear any more from Apple :)

Will do!

• edited November 2018

@genshi smart move, thanks for this.
    AlanC3 theory sounds indeed pretty solid...I also know for sure ( as I'm beta testing it) that the next AUM version is way more efficient handling CPU spikes and glitches, it was very good even before IOS 12 release.

Still even with IOS 12, there were some unknown spikes while moving on the screen AUM's channels, or while switching apps, it always have been the case.
    For instance, with the previous iPads, with AUM at 65% you'd get a spike to 100% or more while going back to AUM from switching from an other app. (I guess the magnitude of the spikes are also related to the quality of optimisation of the apps launched into AUM)
    In the case of the iPad pro 11, it seems these spikes are always there, so it looks like the GUI is always sought, like if you were switching or moving into the app constantly even if you don't.

• Layr and AudioKit D1 with latched pad sound (4-5 polyphonic) resulted in 104% 🤔

• @david_2017 said:
    Layr and AudioKit D1 with latched pad sound (4-5 polyphonic) resulted in 104% 🤔

With Bluetooth headset also ? Do you have an external USB sound card ?

• @crony said:

@david_2017 said:
    Layr and AudioKit D1 with latched pad sound (4-5 polyphonic) resulted in 104% 🤔

With Bluetooth headset also ? Do you have an external USB sound card ?

Interesting. Never thought of that. Will try later.

Usb hub and usb headphone soyndcard jack on its way... Friday?!?

• edited November 2018

Another update for you all:

The developer of AUM got back to me saying they are well aware of the issue already and they have contacted the developers of the other apps to confirm this. They said it's definitely a major issue on Apple's side that needs to get fixed ASAP. Also, the developer of the Layr app just contacted me with the following:

"I contacted Apple this morning shortly after replying to your email, they have confirmed an issue with this model of iPad and have told me to file an official bug report in order that I may be kept in the loop with what’s going on. It seems there is an issue in the audio system in iOS affecting this model. Hopefully, they/we can get this sorted asap!! I’ll try to keep you informed."

• I am pretty sure it has to do with core management. They didn't put enough insight into music in iOS12 and preferred to concentrate on augmented reality and graphics. Keynote pun intended.

• @Norbert said:

@XanderJames said:

@Norbert said:
    I mean, comments are going way overboard with this issue. The gen 3 ipads are beasts. They are not the problem. Might have to do with ios12 more likely. Look at what this thing can do:

I completely agree that it's not hardware based, but there is definitely something wrong. I'm hoping the issues will be addressed in iOS 12.2

I think as well it relates to the fact most applications are outdated compared to the new A12 bionic chip and what it can do. We can expect greatly improved performances once devs update their apps or make new ones taking advantages of multithreading with the 8 cores. And indeed as well, when apple fixes the recurrent leak problems on iOS.

This is not true, our apps are not "outdated" and there's nothing special we app devs need to do to take advantage of newer CPUs. Also we don't have any control of how threads are distributed across multiple cores, neither do we have any control of CPU frequency throttling. I wish there was some magic trick we could do to work around these issues, but as far as I know it's all on Apple's side of the fence.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Norbert said:

@XanderJames said:

@Norbert said:
    I mean, comments are going way overboard with this issue. The gen 3 ipads are beasts. They are not the problem. Might have to do with ios12 more likely. Look at what this thing can do:

I completely agree that it's not hardware based, but there is definitely something wrong. I'm hoping the issues will be addressed in iOS 12.2

I think as well it relates to the fact most applications are outdated compared to the new A12 bionic chip and what it can do. We can expect greatly improved performances once devs update their apps or make new ones taking advantages of multithreading with the 8 cores. And indeed as well, when apple fixes the recurrent leak problems on iOS.

This is not true, our apps are not "outdated" and there's nothing special we app devs need to do to take advantage of newer CPUs. Also we don't have any control of how threads are distributed across multiple cores, neither do we have any control of CPU frequency throttling. I wish there was some magic trick we could do to work around these issues, but as far as I know it's all on Apple's side of the fence.

Yeah, and as usual music is the fifth wheel on the wagon of their priorities.

• o wow! I just got my iPad Pro yesterday and as soon as I loaded FLUX:FX, the cpu went up to 147% without any preset loaded! WTH? Not sure if this is related to this topic, but this never happened before on any other device!

• edited November 2018

@gkillmaster said:
    o wow! I just got my iPad Pro yesterday and as soon as I loaded FLUX:FX, the cpu went up to 147% without any preset loaded! WTH? Not sure if this is related to this topic, but this never happened before on any other device!

Does it also crackle? I wonder also how accurate this measures are. F.e. if i look at the mac activity monitor and use Logic i often get 300, 400 or more % since i have 4 cores with 8 threads which means cpu goes to 800% .
    However we got crackle if just one core is overloaded.
    So if these new iPads have 8 cores or at least the 4 for heavy stuff we could get to 400% as well?

• @Cib said:

@gkillmaster said:
    o wow! I just got my iPad Pro yesterday and as soon as I loaded FLUX:FX, the cpu went up to 147% without any preset loaded! WTH? Not sure if this is related to this topic, but this never happened before on any other device!

Does it also crackle? I wonder also how accurate this measures are. F.e. if i look at the mac activity monitor and use Logic i often get 300, 400 or more % since i have 4 cores with 8 threads which means cpu goes to 800% .

I'll check, what app are you using when you see the spikes?

• @gkillmaster said:

@Cib said:

@gkillmaster said:

I'll check, what app are you using when you see the spikes?

I don´t look at all at CPU loads normally but and just look at it when i got crackles. I just meant that 147% might not overload one core if it is spread across all or several cores.
    It´s hard to see or control how this all works within iOS.
    Different apps measure it in a different way maybe and something like activity monitor for iOS would be great where you see which apps use how much cpu, RAM etc.
    I think there might be an app which can do this?
    I also had a bug some time ago with the cloud thing. I wanted to disconnect the cloud but for some reason it still always wanted to connect to something and i always had one core overloaded. Contacted Apple and they couldn´t help me. So i recovered the whole OS and all was solved after it.
    But that shouldn´t be needed with a new device which comes with the latest OS.
    Let´s just hope that the new A12X isn´t a lemon for audio because that would break new innovations.

• Has anyone tested this on the iOS 12.1.1 beta yet?

• UPDATE: The developer of Layr contacted me with this quote from an Apple Engineer -

"This is being actively worked on as a matter of priority, but unfortunately I don’t have a short-term workaround to recommend to you yet. I’m monitoring the progress, and will let you know as soon as I have something useful to tell.

Coincidently I also got a private message from one of the engineers who manages the Core Audio team, and who has been following this. He originally asked if he could have my case number so he can look into it, but before I had the chance to give it to him, he wrote back with -

"After I sent this note, I was able to track it down and it appears that an actionable related issue is with the right team and they are investigating. I will keep monitoring that."

So Apple are on it!

• @genshi said:
    UPDATE: The developer of Layr contacted me with this quote from an Apple Engineer -

"This is being actively worked on as a matter of priority, but unfortunately I don’t have a short-term workaround to recommend to you yet. I’m monitoring the progress, and will let you know as soon as I have something useful to tell.

Coincidently I also got a private message from one of the engineers who manages the Core Audio team, and who has been following this. He originally asked if he could have my case number so he can look into it, but before I had the chance to give it to him, he wrote back with -

"After I sent this note, I was able to track it down and it appears that an actionable related issue is with the right team and they are investigating. I will keep monitoring that."

So Apple are on it!

Excellent news! I'm hopeful they roll out the fix before the new year

• Good news that they’re on the case. I will put a new iPad back in my letter to Father Christmas.

• edited November 2018

I expect the fix in 48h as I'm receiving my iPad in 2 days... :D

• Glad Apple is listening and actively working to resolve the issue. It’s not really affecting me at all on my new Pro but I’m not complaining about a fix either.

• edited November 2018

Ok, got my pro 11...Same issue...
    I can get to work with a latency of 512 without glitches, so it's the same as with the 2nd gen pro... :neutral:
    At least it's not worth, and hopefully it will be corrected soon...
    I'm testing it with the beta of AUM, which is far better than the actual official release.
    I can say that because the video @genshi shows glitches with very few synths, and my setup is using lots of effects and channels.

• @crony said:
    Ok, got my pro 11...Same issue...
    I can get to work with a latency of 512 without glitches, so it's the same as with the 2nd gen pro... :neutral:
    At least it's not worth, and hopefully it will be corrected soon...

Welcome to the club! Here’s hoping 12.1.1 drops next week with a fix. If not, we’ll have to wait for 12.2

• edited November 2018

Good news: I’ve heard from another well-known dev-team (who have been looking into the issue together with Apple) that the guys in Cupertino have found and fixed the issue. I suppose we’ll receive the fix in an upcoming iOS update. :)