Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Convert Audio to midi - any ios apps for this?!

Converting audio to midi on desktop platforms is a relatively easy affair. Great for drum doubling or extracting a melody. Any iOS apps for this?!

Comments

• have a look at secret base design, they have an app for this?

• Designed for guitar though, how well does it work with voice or keys and so on ?

• I don’t know of any iOS apps that will do what you’re wanting to do very accurately.

MIDI Enabled is a free standalone app that listens to the mic and outputs MIDI to a virtual port which other apps can listen to.

JamSynth is an older IAA app that can detect incoming audio and convert it to MIDI output though you’d need to do a lot of tweaking of knobs to get MIDI output matching your audio. I wouldn’t expect one to one fidelity. It can be a way to get some interesting MIDI output.

VoxKit should theoretically be able to detect a sound via the microphone and output a MIDI note or chord based upon your settings but I can not get the app to get any signal from the microphone to pickup any sounds.

Auria Pro has a plug-in Drumagog 5 that allows you to replace drum audio with other sounds (no MIDI conversion).

There are vocoder apps like Voice Synth and VoxSyn that can detect audio and transform it though once again no MIDI output.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

Midimorphosis by secret base design works pretty well. It’s not geared toward just guitars.

• I think ThumbJam has this feature too.

• Great response folks thank you. Yes, there seems to be a lot of app that kinda do what I want. Will have a look at midimorphosis. Who to badger to request such an app!!?

• I think Infinite Looper can do this, but I haven't tried it myself.

• Hey -- yes, MIDImorphosis, and Infinite Looper both do this (and Aleph Looper too). They work best with audio input that is at the right pitch, and monophonic. I find that voices waver enough to not track well. Guitars, pianos, anything with a clear stable pitch, should work. MM will also analyze a recording, converting to MIDI -- it can do a little better with a recording than it does "live," simply by not having to make a low-latency guess about a new note.

Being in tune is important. If you have lots of notes going on, pitch bending, and chords, it becomes a mess. Do not expect to hold up your phone at a Metallica concert, and get full transcriptions of all instruments along with lyrics (you'd be surprised at the number of people who expect that).

ThumbJam also does nice pitch-to-MIDI, there's MIDI Guitar, and Sonuus had an app too (not sure if it's still live). Jam Synth was free the last time I checked, and also does pitch-to-MIDI.

• Humbeatz by Amptrack Technologies AB.https://humbeatz.com/#/
    I haven’t used it much but may suite your needs .

• @SecretBaseDesign ~ What happened to MIDImorphosis? I can't find it on the app store?

• ~>Hello AudioBus Forum Members<~~

We're about to head into 2022 ::: work with me now; I'm a violin player that needs a TRUE (genuINE/authentic) AUv3 pitch to MIDI converter
    why? So I can play all of the super sweet synth's imma got on sale over Black Friday (oh yeah)

Jam Origin - this is NOT a true AUv3 plugin :: no matter WHERE you put it in an AUM channel it will not take the audio signal from the item or plugin before it (sadly.....and very frustrating) you can see the pictures below. No matter WHERE you put it in the signal path, it grabs the audio signal directly from your audio interface or iOS input [insert frustrated growling emoticon here]

It must be AUv3; why? because - I will use FabFilter's gate fx and compression fx to help even the notes coming into the pitch to MIDI converter.....and to eliminate unwanted audio from getting into the plugin/converter

It must be real time; why? why not....OK, I will use it in live performances and for live looping

I'd prefer something that the developer is still actively making apps/plugins; someone mentioned MIDImorphosis but it's not on the market anymore [insert crying emoticon]; I suspect Jam Origin bought them out

[Yes......for those following the drama; I have actually bought Roxsyn and some other synths, which are very sweet] I still want pitch to MIDI

~~~~
    Humbeatz - I don't think it converts in real time? It "seems" like just a stand alone app
    Thumbjam - Looks like you generate MIDI by touching the screen; most likely with your Thumbs because nobody would buy an app called Toejam

Any Thoughts???

MIDIless in Minnesota

• Midiguitar 2 - works for guitar and some keyboards (only ‘supposed’ to work for guitar, tho)
    Envolver - will convert incoming audio to a midi note of your choice or a midi note you’re playing from a different midi input (does not detect tune)

These are the best I’ve found. Midi Guitar 2 works phenomenally well. Envolver is okay for mostly converting drum audio to midi notes I suppose. Like if you have a clean drum track you can translate it to a different drum machine; you can also use Multiband splitter and run several instances of it and get a whole drum set going or something like that. Takes some setup but is fun to experiment with…I haven’t found this very useful in a practical sense tho … it’s more for a …how should I put this? ….‘archeological’ or ‘surgical’ type of a project? Lol

• Just saw that you’re a violin player - sorry didn’t notice that before. Jamorigin, the company that makes midiguitar 2, is developing a desktop app called ‘midiviolin’ which sounds like what you need. It is designed capture the nuance of your playing and convert it to midi cc’s and expressions as well. I have read somewhere that they don’t have any plans on bringing midiviolin or any of the other ones to iOS tho, unfortunately. You can try a violin with midi guitar 2, it might work - as I HAVE been able to get midi guitar to work with my piano/clav (discovered this by accident lol)

https://www.jamorigin.com/

https://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-violin/

• You don’t need to worry too much about gating the sound with plugins before your signal hits midiguitar 2, as it does have a nice noise gate and velocity sensor/sensitivity settings. Very minimal latency. Love using it in AUM. I took a little screen shot. You can even eq the velocity curve to taste, as well as select polyphonic/monophonic/pitch bend settings, etc. very very nice.

• You can also blend your clean signal or just mute your signal entirely and have it serve purely as a midi controller … I think I unlocked the full version thru IAP’s of about $30 but imo these functionalities are probably worth 6x as much at least lol

• I have been able to get the midiguitar 2 to take the audio signal from the signal chain…it takes some wrestling tho

If you’re feeding it a signal from a violin it’s possible that it’s just not able to correctly read it.

• Your request sounds a bit on the self-important side. I’d recommend to humble yourself by learning to play keys.

• edited November 2021

@Vmusic said:

..snip snip snip

Jam Origin - this is NOT a true AUv3 plugin :: no matter WHERE you put it in an AUM channel it will not take the audio signal from the item or plugin before it (sadly.....and very frustrating) you can see the pictures below. No matter WHERE you put it in the signal path, it grabs the audio signal directly from your audio interface or iOS input [insert frustrated growling emoticon here]

...... snip snip

This sounds like perhaps your AUM setup might not have been right (you mention pictures but I don't see any). I don't know how you had it set up but MG does not get the audio directly from the interface and somehow bypass AUM's routing. The Jam Origin AUv3 plugin functions as it should when I use it and gets its audio through the audio chain in AUM not from the interface directly.

I just did a quick test: the interface from my guitar through Gauss into Midi Guitar 2. The MIDI output from the plugin routed to a synth.

Gauss is handy for this because it is an audio recorder with a monitor switch. When monitor is off, Gauss doesn't pass the input out. When it is on, Gauss passes out the input. When I have Gauss above MIDI Guitar and turn off Gauss's monitor, no audio reaches the MIDI Guitar plug in. When I turn it on, Midi Guitar gets the signal.

If I record a loop in Gauss, that audio gets fed to Midi Guitar and triggers the synth.

Here is the setup:

• @Vmusic : is it possible that you loaded MIDI Guitar as IAA rather than AU?

• I hear you. Fretless instruments are way overrated. I was going to modify the 80s "Keytar" (by Roland), and create the "Vtar" or maybe call it the "VioSynth". It would have keys along the fretboard, but to "activate" or "play" you would still bow strings.

But of course..... I'll also have some smoke chambers mounted on the bottom for a complete cosmic/pyrotechnic/syntastic experience!!

@oat_phipps said:
    Your request sounds a bit on the self-important side. I’d recommend to humble yourself by learning to play keys.

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

@Vmusic said:
    It must be real time; why? why not....OK, I will use it in live performances and for live looping

You probably already know this but, there will always be noticeable added latency with real-time pitch detection. There's just no way to do it without listening to enough of the sound to detect the pitch.

Violin ... that is rough. Unpredictable transients, no frets to normalize pitch differences, vibrato ... sounds like it would be really challenging! First the program has to decide what note to choose as a base, then it will need to output the note + some pitch bend, then continue flowing the pitch bend messages until somehow it decides the note is over and it needs to pick a new one.

Then there is the problem of volume. The nuances include not only pitch changes but also really dynamic volume differences. The problem is Velocity is a one-time thing sent with the note-on. So some other message stream needs to process volume expression. I suppose this could be done with channel pressure (aftertouch). Whereas pitch bend is 14 bit (16,384 values), Channel or Poly Pressure is 7 bit (128 possible values). Probably not an issue, but just for info.

I'd prefer something that the developer is still actively making apps/plugins; someone mentioned MIDImorphosis but it's not on the market anymore [insert crying emoticon]; I suspect Jam Origin bought them out

No, the developer just decided it wasn't maintainable.

MIDIless in Minnesota

It's a challenging one.
    I wonder if there are any vocal pitch correction plugins that output midi. By nature they're doing a lot of the type of detection work needed for violin ... which is significantly different than what is needed for guitar.

• Hhhhmmmm...... I find it's not clear

When I tapped the violin fingerboard although the sound was below the threshold on my Fabfilter Gate fx; I can see that MIDI notes are still being triggered. I know this because I run the MIDI from the Guitar2MIDI to a MIDI Monitor. I also attached a recording of me plucking my electric violin. You can clearly hear the piano sound being played. ALL of those notes you hear, should have been UNDER the FabFilter threshold gate ::: and yet ::: all of these notes were turned into MIDI notes and passed on to Ravensoft.

I have absolutely loaded MIDI Guitar 2 as an AU. I honestly have my routing picture below.

Sorry…. I really have some pictures this time:: I promise

I reaally….. want to use FabFilter’s Gate and Compression; it “seemingly” helps with violin subharmonics and harmonics - something you get from bowed instruments much more than guitars. You get a little of these with guitars, but you get much more of these unwanted “artifacts” with bowed instruments. It also helps a bit with the unwanted bow sounds as well.

But alas…… I feel certain that notes gently plucked or even when I hit my left hand fingers on the figerboard….MIDI are getting triggered. I played a song. You can see ALL of the notes UNDER the threshold are being triggered.

What am I missing??

Here’s my routing……

@ambrosiajam said:
    You don’t need to worry too much about gating the sound with plugins before your signal hits midiguitar 2, as it does have a nice noise gate and velocity sensor/sensitivity settings. Very minimal latency. Love using it in AUM. I took a little screen shot. You can even eq the velocity curve to taste, as well as select polyphonic/monophonic/pitch bend settings, etc. very very nice.

• @Vmusic . I think your B, MIDI Guitar Out is a virtual MIDI port (V) from a stand-alone app. The A MIDI Guitar @A1:2 (some sort of AUM grid notation) is the AU you've loaded. This likely explains why B is hearing raw audio input. If you didn't actually launch the app stand-alone, you may have started it as IAA from inside AUM, then changed your mind; unfortunately, that wouldn't terminate the app.

• @vmusic: if you look at the screen shot I posted, if you only have the AU loaded, you only see the audio unit's MIDI input and output. It is the AU's MIDI out you want to use. If you do that, even if you inadvertently launch the standalone , the standalone won't interfere.

I suggest that you do a full power down (not just sleep) to make sure that a zombie standalone instance isn't running

• I got it!!!!!!!!
    I got it (Guitar 2 MIDI) to work as an AUv3; and it takes the signal from the fx in the signal chain in front of it.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Seriously..... thanks to all of you for helping me.

As a reward, and because it's late, and you may need a good laugh for today; I've recorded something in AUM, just for you.
    [hearing protection required, not legal in all states, please don't try this at home this is for trained professionals only]

Three Parts:
    EG Pulse: played by none other than my violin (bowed).
    Bass Part: using a pitch sifter, some reverb and some Roxsyn as well (plucked voilin)
    Lead Part: using a customized patch on Roxsyn (bowed violin)

I used Enso to loop (OK attempt should be added here), to loop the drum and bass part, and then I played the lead on top.

For the EG Pulse Drum Synth, I mapped the kick to an open A string, and the snare to an open E string. How hard should it be to play a simple kick snare beat with two open notes.

OK...... Enjoy!!

• Good one. Love the lead. B)

• Hi @Vmusic ,
    Glad you finally succeed.
    You can also try "A2M" app which seems to work very good. It's free and functionnal during the first few minutes (unless you buy the IAP for full capabilities).
    Then, my advice is to add FAC Envolver as a second entry. FAC envolver should take your audio in and convert sound amplitude into CC values, in realtime. That way you could modulate your synth (CC01, CC11, etc.) just by playing more or less loud on your violin.

• @Paulo164 Thanks!!I got both.

• @Vmusic said:
    @SecretBaseDesign ~ What happened to MIDImorphosis? I can't find it on the app store?

MIDImorphosis had been getting pretty rickety. The audio engine was designed in the stone age. I felt like it was time to retire the app, and go in a different direction.

The "new" app is Rapid Tab -- still does pitch-to-MIDI, and you can use it to play synths "live," but I'm focusing on making transcriptions. You can record the notes (and adjust the number of strings, tuning, etc.), to get tablature -- and then with an on-screen button, tap to get the notes to "play" in time. There's a bunch of editing functions so you can clean up a transcription easily, and the app will export a MIDI file or MusicXML, for importing into DAWs and sequencers.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rapid-tab/id1345154822

• I forgot about that one! I'm really glad you stopped by @SecretBaseDesign. B)