Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Annual Audiobus Forum Awards

edited November 2018 in Other

Be great to see Apps and their Devs recognized for their commitment to excellence and to the iOS music community.

Most innovative
Most Stable
Best Supported
Best Indie Dev
Best Major Dev
Best New App
Most fun
Best value
Best App Suite
AU of the Year
Synth of the year
Etc

Just a thought. Love to hear thoughts, categories, nominees and ideas if this sounds as sweet to the community as it does to me. Devs deserve it, future users may appreciate beginning with award winning apps for a place to start. This community also deserves recognition and distinguishment for its contribution to the iOS scene.

Could increase the profile of the forum altogether and provide Devs with another selling point/marketing accolade.

Again...just a thought.

Audiobus Forum Academy anyone?

Comments

• +1 Excellent idea.

Maybe construct Polls for each category and "open the envelopes" after some point in time. Just make it clear that we can be bought with "Black Friday Sales".

• @McDtracy said:
    +1 Excellent idea.

Maybe construct Polls for each category and "open the envelopes" after some point in time. Just make it clear that we can be bought with "Black Friday Sales".

😂@ “we can be bought with Black Friday Sales”

• Can bots vote?

• Favorite Mover and Packer

• @wim said:
    Can bots vote?

bots can elect Presidents of the "free world". Not political... just praising the power of a programmable world. Be the programmer... not the programmed.

• Great idea but Im sure it will end in a brawl. :p

• This sounds like a great idea, and I already have a few ideas who I'd vote for.

• edited November 2018

@wim said:
    Can bots vote?

Considering this is “Bot”-Lot how could it be avoided?lol

@McDtracy said:

@wim said:
    Can bots vote?

bots can elect Presidents of the "free world". Not political... just praising the power of a programmable world. Be the programmer... not the programmed.

Interesting times indeed.>

@1nsomniak said:

Great idea but Im sure it will end in a brawl. :p

This is why it’s essential that an Academy-like panel be assembled to organize, moderate if it really becomes a thing. I honestly think it could grow into something special given serious thought. There are some bright minds here. No shortage on engagement, love for iOS and great apps.

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    This sounds like a great idea, and I already have a few ideas who I'd vote for.

Great! Love to hear them. Looking forward to hearing from more from the community especially respected and engaged members such as yourself. I recognize a few of the names in the thread as statesmen around here so it’s off to a pretty good start.

@Michael couldn’t really be in the Academy considering he’d be nominated no doubt. Probably due the first App Dev Icon Achievement Award for creating ABF.

I reckon us all apart of a new lane in music production. Expansion perhaps. iOS music production is definitely something no one saw coming and few took seriously. Today, many of its tools are featured in “real” award winning work. I think it only expends as iOS devices get more powerful.

If this is true I think ABF Awards should be among the most prestigious recognition a Dev seeks as ABF is certainly a bedrock and essential to the foundation the scene was built on.

I have a few ideas. I think among the first steps is identifying who would really like to be in that charter panel of organizers. Everyone’s vote is important but there needs to be order. This place can get nutty fast.lmfao

• edited November 2018

I’m just an idea guy. Hardly been around here long enough to hold any weight but I really think with some of the knowledgeable members, many whom regularly beta test and have extensive communication and relationships with devs could give valuable insight to who among them are worthy of award consideration.

Committed sound designers, beta testers, everyone involved in making and maintaining these apps and community that we all love should probably be recognized imo.

• That's a wonderful idea! Love it

• edited November 2018

For those of us who enjoy the wide ranging array of work iOS developers have provided us, I’d prefer to see a poll with something like 10 choices per category along with an ability to pick our first, second, and third picks as in the StageLight feature request poll so we can get an accurate reflection of our appreciation.

Category suggestions I’d add would be:
    . GUI
    . DAW
    . DAW with subcategories
    . MIDI controller
    . effects
    . Best app to be released next year
    . added AUv3 support
    . tutorials
    . years on iOS
    . number of iOS versions supported
    . Best Audiobus Integration
    . Best beta testing
    . Developer website
    . iOS music app sites
    . additional synth categories
    . Preset Sound Designers
    . lived up to hype
    . best new iOS developer
    . zombie of the year (an app you thought would never be updated but was)
    . please update this app
    . iOS hall of fame
    . manual
    . support forum
    . Multi OS Support
    . IAP
    . subscription.

These categories could be organized into meaningful categories with a couple of different threads to vote for them. If @Michael agreed to pin the poll it might be good too. If a category isn’t something you care or know about, you could abstain from voting for it.

• Best graphics, best user interface, best desktop port

And a weepy video montage of the apps we lost in the great 32bit purge.

• @1nsomniak said:
    Best graphics, best user interface, best desktop port

+32 for the purge

• @Michael said:
    That's a wonderful idea! Love it

Official co-sign! Now we’re cooking with gas.

• @InfoCheck said:
    For those of us who enjoy the wide ranging array of work iOS developers have provided us, I’d prefer to see a poll with something like 10 choices per category along with an ability to pick our first, second, and third picks as in the StageLight feature request poll so we can get an accurate reflection of our appreciation.

. GUI
    . DAW
    . DAW with subcategories
    . MIDI controller
    . effects
    . added AUv3 support
    . tutorials
    . years on iOS
    . Best beta testing
    . Developer website
    . iOS music app sites
    . Preset Sound Designers
    . lived up to hype
    . best new iOS developer
    . please update this app
    . iOS hall of fame
    . manual
    . support forum
    . Multi OS Support
    . IAP
    . subscription.

These categories could be organized into meaningful categories with a couple of different threads to vote for them. If @Michael agreed to pin the poll it might be good too. If a category isn’t something you care or know about, you could abstain from voting for it.

Excellent ideas. Who decides the nominees?

• @1nsomniak said:
    Best graphics, best user interface, best desktop port

Definitely

• Forgetting the most important category..... Biggest Game Changer!!!!! 😂😂

• @WillieNegus said:

@InfoCheck said:

. GUI
    . DAW
    . DAW with subcategories
    . MIDI controller
    . effects
    . added AUv3 support
    . tutorials
    . years on iOS
    . Best beta testing
    . Developer website
    . iOS music app sites
    . Preset Sound Designers
    . lived up to hype
    . best new iOS developer
    . please update this app
    . iOS hall of fame
    . manual
    . support forum
    . Multi OS Support
    . IAP
    . subscription.

Excellent ideas. Who decides the nominees?

Nominate you to do the nominating, organizing, pie-making and so forth. Every idea needs a midwife and you were that to this :) Gather your cadre around you, ask for the help you need, keep it manageable, remember it's supposed to be fun not divisive, and go down in history!

• Discchord keeps a record of all the music apps released this year:

http://discchord.com/appDB?currentPage=1&category=None&device=None&sort=releaseDate&viewmode=details

That might be a good place to start.

There's been so many great apps released this year. It would be amazing to see some under-the-radar apps receive some attention. And, it might be the motivation a small developer needs to stay in the game.

Perhaps to keep the nominations from becoming biased, there could be some sort of defined criteria that would not be subjective.

For example:
    ✓ App must have AudioBus support (A minimum for the Audiobus awards) ;)
    ✓ App must have a 4 or higher star rating in the USA App Store (the most active rating system).

A couple of criteria like that will quickly cut the qualified apps down to a manageable level while maintaining an air of transparency and legitimacy.

• @analog_matt said:
    Discchord keeps a record of all the music apps released this year:

http://discchord.com/appDB?currentPage=1&category=None&device=None&sort=releaseDate&viewmode=details

There's been so many great apps released this year. It would be amazing to see some under-the-radar apps receive some attention. And, it might be the motivation a small developer needs to stay in the game.

Perhaps to keep the nominations from becoming biased, there could be some sort of defined criteria that would not be subjective.

For example:
    ✓ App must have a 4 or higher star rating in the USA App Store (the most active rating system).

A couple of criteria like that will quickly cut the qualified apps down to a manageable level while maintaining an air of transparency and legitimacy.

rushes off to find some beloved app that is violently misunderstood by the great unwashed and thus hovers at an unworthy 3.9 etc etc

• @analog_matt said:
    For example:

Does that include AUv3 support, since those can be hosted in AB? :|

• edited November 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@analog_matt said:

For example:

rushes off to find some beloved app that is violently misunderstood by the great unwashed and thus hovers at an unworthy 3.9 etc etc

Do you want a 3.9 star general leading you into battle? You can hand out the participation badges hippie.

• Errrr....

Maybe nominating criteria is:
    ✓ App must have Audiobus or AUv3 support?
    ✓ App must have a 3.5 or higher rating?

Or whatever criteria folks want.

• @AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@analog_matt said:

For example:

Do you want a 3.9 star general leading you into battle? You can hand out the participation badges hippie.

Fascist! What about the future? What about the children? What about the known unknowns?

• Been taking notes gentlemen. Cosigns from @Michael _AND__ @analog_matt really lending credibility and extra motivation. Also, two Devs who affect and inspire so much that we take for granted and at the core of the spirit which inspired this Award concept.

There simply isn’t enough attention, gratitude and acknowledgment bestowed on these Devs man. There are so many artists, YouTube influencers, etc getting compensated and recognized for things they create with THESE tools. Meanwhile the creators of those tools go largely unnoticed.

Fuck that.lol

Any members who would like to help form a charter committee please inbox or @ me. Would love to collaborate or... am totally open to nominating a more qualified chair. Again, I get a good idea from time to time....I have no ego or agenda attached to the concept aside from it being something that could have a positive impact on our community.

In absence of quorum i will certainly try my best to go it alone for now. Thanks for the nod @JohnnyGoodyear Assure you no “pies” will be excepted, shot or eaten in relation to this initiative as to keep it clean, decent and unbiased.lol

Both @analog_matt and @brambos raised interesting points:

Should AB3 compatibility be essential for consideration or is AUv3 dedication enough? AB3 has expanded its own umbrella to cover AU apps and considering how difficult solid AU implementation appears to be...should that be enough?

This is just one example of why a committee to write initial guidelines and bylaws would be ideal.

• edited November 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@analog_matt said:

For example:

Fascist! What about the future? What about the children? What about the known unknowns?

The known unknowns are hardly a concern so much as the known unknowns that we know to be unknown.

However, I do agree that we should make exceptions for apps with simple typos. I'm not a monster.

• @analog_matt said:
    Errrr....

Maybe nominating criteria is:
    ✓ App must have Audiobus or AUv3 support?
    ✓ App must have a 3.5 or higher rating?

Or whatever criteria folks want.

I do agree the App Store provides the most fair and universal review to base user satisfaction. One consideration to the App Store Ratings criteria however are Devs like SugarBytes who’ve suffered low ratings for going full AU and dropping IAA. Man the butthurt was real. Egoist is sitting at low 3s last time I checked which is clearly malarkey.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Should AB3 compatibility be essential for consideration or is AUv3 dedication enough? AB3 has expanded its own umbrella to cover AU apps and considering how difficult solid AU implementation appears to be...should that be enough?

I reckon I'd argue for either; I certainly consider AUv3 to be the future!

• @InfoCheck said:

Or as I call it, 'The Randy Marsh Internet Tent Award'