Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best sample slicer apps

Comments

• @kobamoto said:
    I'd suggest not to re-invent the wheel and use what is tried, true, and tested.
    also remember that beatslicing is an instrument unto itself and that is where it's popularity has come from, it's not just a feature so having a self contained option in addition to an au option is vital.
    basically if you create serato sample as an app and add to that elektron style p. locks and conditional trigs and probability you'll have a run-away success of an app.

This would please everyone! (Nearly)

Quite a task tho... good luck! 😎

• @CracklePot said:
    Samplist is really cool too. Manual slicing though.

It does have split to slice regions too ;)

And if you have a perfect loop you can enable the Grid and slice 16th, 8th, etc.

Best underrated feature: Export slices as a zip to use in other apps ;)

• @Alex fox said:
    Hey..

Doing a bit of research on what's out there. I've used Blocs Waves but don't find it incredibly inspiring. I'm looking for something where you basically import a long loop and then you can trigger all the slices in a keyboard/launch pad style interface.

Thanks!

Samplist was MADE for this bro. And you can play slices chromatically too.
    I've built it to be used as an AU but it's freaking giving me headaches to do this.
    So what I do is load it up as an IAA in Cubasis or whatever and send MIDI to it and resample.
    You can even send CC automation if that's your sort of thing.

• @alecsbuga said:

@CracklePot said:

>
    >

Did not know that.

• I think I've opened up Pandora's box!

• edited November 2018

@gusgranite said:

@kobamoto said:
    I'd suggest not to re-invent the wheel and use what is tried, true, and tested.
    also remember that beatslicing is an instrument unto itself and that is where it's popularity has come from, it's not just a feature so having a self contained option in addition to an au option is vital.
    basically if you create serato sample as an app and add to that elektron style p. locks and conditional trigs and probability you'll have a run-away success of an app.

This would please everyone! (Nearly)

Quite a task tho... good luck! 😎

who needs luck when we're living in the grand iOS state of the art era :)

to that I'd only add that an iPad screen should be a natural for slicing apps.
    if you make the waveform touchable like Samplr, but unlike Samplr also make the waveform start/end points editable via touching, pinching, zooming them while in place.
    and for Petes sake give us at least 8-16 more slice tracks than egoist please, no need for teasing.

• Curious what all the users here think of Blocs Wave for sampling? I love Reslice, Samplist, and BM3, but find the way Blocs lets you essentially bypass the static slice workflow and trigger slices from anywhere in the waveform (on the grid) to be a really quick way to find chops you might not make other wise. And their looper is cool in that it “chokes” the previously recorded sound. I’ve come up with stuff in Blocs I never would have in the others, even though it has very limited features in other respects.

If you had a way to incorporate both Blocs slicing and the more conventional start/stop points method, you could have something really unique.

• @alecsbuga said:

@CracklePot said:

And if you have a perfect loop you can enable the Grid and slice 16th, 8th, etc.

Indeed. I love Samplist. Just wanted to point out that it doesn’t detect transients for auto slicing. But every other method it does have (should have mentioned that, sorry). Also it has 8 pages of 16 pads for sample playback, which totally rocks.

• Can it export a single audio file with slice markers so that BeatHawk can see them which it uses to let you play regions of a loop with a keyboard?

@alecsbuga said:

@CracklePot said:

• @espiegel123 said:
    Can it export a single audio file with slice markers so that BeatHawk can see them which it uses to let you play regions of a loop with a keyboard?

@alecsbuga said:

@CracklePot said:

No. But I was thinking of doing that. I used BM3 to export slice markers for Beathawk :D

• @bcrichards said:
    Curious what all the users here think of Blocs Wave for sampling? I love Reslice, Samplist, and BM3, but find the way Blocs lets you essentially bypass the static slice workflow and trigger slices from anywhere in the waveform (on the grid) to be a really quick way to find chops you might not make other wise. And their looper is cool in that it “chokes” the previously recorded sound. I’ve come up with stuff in Blocs I never would have in the others, even though it has very limited features in other respects.

If you had a way to incorporate both Blocs slicing and the more conventional start/stop points method, you could have something really unique.

Blocs Wave is one of my top used apps- I think I am using it a bit like yourself. For finding sampled loops that go together for me it’s unbeatable- especially with the randomised flattened waves- couldn’t really be without it if I’m honest. I use it for single shots as well- though I just export the area that the sample is in to Audioshare and trim it there with the loop points.

• @alecsbuga : if Samplist exported in a format with slice and loop markers and tempo info that BeatHawk and GarageBand could read (as BM3 can), Samplist would be an InstaBuy.

What methods of importing audio does it support?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @alecsbuga : if Samplist exported in a format with slice and loop markers and tempo info that BeatHawk and GarageBand could read (as BM3 can), Samplist would be an InstaBuy.

What methods of importing audio does it support?

Wav, Aif, Caf. I don't read the markers though

• Can someone summarize the differences between what's available in BM3, Egoist, Reslice, Samplr and Samplist?

• can tell you Samplr has no panning DOH!! :s

• but it is still wonderful, worth getting even if you have the others

• @kobamoto said:
    but it is still wonderful, worth getting even if you have the others

I've got most of the others, including Audiolayer - just wondering what Samplist could bring to the table that the others can't.

• good question, I don't have samplist but just heard recently that it has some great export options

• @kobamoto said:
    good question, I don't have samplist but just heard recently that it has some great export options

The timestretching is pretty unique - plus being able to create a bunch of slices that you can trigger or play chromatically is handy. Would be more useful as an AU though, as currently I can just load up a few instances of Audiolayer.

I like the simplicity of Samplist though - Audiolayer is a bit of a fiddle. I dunno, it's only three quid so I'll probably get it anyway.

• I'll prob get it too

• edited November 2018

I’ve built Samplist to be fast and easy to chop a sample and bang a beat with it.

I use it mainly for slicing loops. Then I trigger them via MIDI from Cubasis and resample the output while messing with the controls.

There are of course other options. You can export the slices as a zip and load them into a different drum machine like Grooverider. You can trim a slice and create a new file. Etc. its pretty useful even if it’s not AU yet.

I’m working hard towards making it AU. I’ve made some baby steps into that direction and things are looking good because apple fixed some stuff in iOS 12.

• @alecsbuga said:
    I’ve built Samplist to be fast and easy to chop a sample and bang a beat with it.

I use it mainly for slicing loops. Then I trigger them via MIDI from Cubasis and resample the output while messing with the controls.

There are of course other options. You can export the slices as a zip and load them into a different drum machine like Grooverider. You can trim a slice and create a new file. Etc. its pretty useful even if it’s not AU yet.

I’m working hard towards making it AU. I’ve made some baby steps into that direction and things are looking good because apple fixed some stuff in iOS 12.

That’s great to hear regarding AU.

• Mpc Pro 2 is the best.

• If one owns Samplist, does reSlice have any features that would make it worth having as well?

• @espiegel123 said:
    If one owns Samplist, does reSlice have any features that would make it worth having as well?

The built in arpeggiator in ReSlice allows you to set the pitch and clock for each step. You can set the pitch, level, pan, and ADSR for each slice. It has an effects section. You can save an arp as a preset. It’s an AUv3.

• If one had reSlice, would Samplist offer anything additional?

@InfoCheck said:

@espiegel123 said:
    If one owns Samplist, does reSlice have any features that would make it worth having as well?

The built in arpeggiator in ReSlice allows you to set the pitch and clock for each step. You can set the pitch, level, pan, and ADSR for each slice. It has an effects section. You can save an arp as a preset. It’s an AUv3.

• edited November 2018

No it doesn’t. But it looks prettier and it’s mucj more easier and fun to work with :) it has more soul :)

And it’s also discounted.
    And it will have AUv3 support in the near future if all goes well

• uh oh, the Slicer Wars have begone....

• @kobamoto said:
    uh oh, the Slicer Wars have begone....

Anything to add?

• @espiegel123 said:

@kobamoto said:
    uh oh, the Slicer Wars have begone....

Anything to add?

I have and use both Samplist and ReSlice.