Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Noir Celebration! With a little XOX

2»

Comments

• @wim said:
    If a fish sings alone in the forest does it make a sound?

Depends how well the forest has been raked I guess? >:)

• edited November 2018

Can somebody help me out with a setup in AUM with xox? Do you need 8 xox and 8 noir to make up a drumkit? How will this work? Can 1 xox drive 8 Noir? Do I set this up with MIDI or these numbers you posted here? Im in the batcave right now and gonna try it out. :smile:

• Depends on what you mean by drumkit. If you make a Noir preset where you have three distinct sounds for three different pitch values, then only one xox would be needed to program those.

On that, is it correct that if two different midi notes in one xox triggers on the same step (say, BD and SD on step 1), then a single connected Noir will only make a sound based on the highest pitch? That was my impression. I know it is a monophonic synth, I don't know what the usual conventions are when feeding multiple notes at the same time to a mono synth.

• @bleep said:
    On that, is it correct that if two different midi notes in one xox triggers on the same step (say, BD and SD on step 1), then a single connected Noir will only make a sound based on the highest pitch? That was my impression. I know it is a monophonic synth, I don't know what the usual conventions are when feeding multiple notes at the same time to a mono synth.

With Noir the highest noet of the concurrent notes is played.

• edited November 2018

This. Is. awesome. Adjust the noterange to the number you appoint in xox.

• That's great. I knew about the channel filter in AUM, but I had never used the note range filter before. Suits perfectly in this Noir/XOX setup!

Now you can point the AUM keyboard to XOX, check the XOX setting that it changes pattern based on midi input, then change all 8 Noir patterns using C1, D1, ... on the AUM keyboard.

• Great thread. Guess I know what I'll be working on tonight.

• Easy as pie

• That AUM trick is awesome! I hadn’t even thought of that!

By the way... apparently you’re all useless hipsters, according to this reviewer. :D

• @brambos said:
    That AUM trick is awesome! I hadn’t even thought of that!

By the way... apparently you’re all useless hipsters, according to this reviewer. :D

Sigh... millennials...

• I'm a boomer-hipster I guess. Though I'm sure my kids would not agree.

• @wim said:
    Oh man, just added Rozeta Bassline + Model D and been just sting here listening to the magic for 10 minutes. It really is like listening to someone else composing music. Someone good at it rather than me. ;)

Audiobus preset 'Light Tulip': http://preset.audiob.us/19PlUOmqTU9ofT6

I opened this. Tweaked the Model D bass and added FAC Chorus on the FX slot.
    OOOH boy :smiley:

But my iPad Mini was trying to crackle a bit after tweaking a bit more :lol:

• @_ki said:

@bleep said:

With Noir the highest noet of the concurrent notes is played.

Which is good thing to know about so you can have a 4x4 kick pattern then occassionally send in a high note with pitch mapped to something like osc1/2 - max and noise + max to add a hat/high freq shaker type thing and supress the kick.

• @Bennie said:

Easy as pie

You're actually really limiting you pitch mod potential having all the notes so close together... Unless that's you're goal.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    You're actually really limiting you pitch mod potential having all the notes so close together... Unless that's you're goal.

It’s a first setup. I only assign a note number to a xox part so i can run 7 NOIR. Doesn’t really matters which number you apply because you can only choose one anyway. I put a LFO rozeta on the velocity and “mut”. Giving many options to play with thus far. How would you recommend setting this up in AUM so the mods can operate too @MonkeyDrummer ?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Wanna blow yer damn mind?

Hook up @brambos XOX to Noir...

Set XOX's note map like this:

BD=10
    SD=30
    CP=50
    LT=70
    MT=90
    HT=110
    CH=120
    OH=127

You now have 8 polymetric (sync'd or unsync'd) lines/paths (i.e. each "drum is a note/pitch) with which to send variable velocity triggers (overall vel set by track/instrument/note) each assigned to a different pitch!

Of course you have 6 modulation targets for both vel and pitch...

This setup gives you pretty much **limitless **control over triggering and modulation, in a totally controllable setup. You have total control over the velocity at each pitch, plus with accents a way to pop the value.

AND... you have 8 patterns you can trigger via midi...

Oh man...

I've just bought Noir and I don't get this at all. I set the Ruismaker Noir preset in XOX, but every single drum type triggers the same note in Noir. Where is the differentiation I'm expecting?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

BD=10
    SD=30
    CP=50
    LT=70
    MT=90
    HT=110
    CH=120
    OH=127

You now have 8 polymetric (sync'd or unsync'd) lines/paths (i.e. each "drum is a note/pitch) with which to send variable velocity triggers (overall vel set by track/instrument/note) each assigned to a different pitch!

This setup gives you pretty much **limitless **control over triggering and modulation, in a totally controllable setup. You have total control over the velocity at each pitch, plus with accents a way to pop the value.

Oh man...

I've just bought Noir and I don't get this at all. I set the Ruismaker Noir preset in XOX, but every single drum type triggers the same note in Noir. Where is the differentiation I'm expecting?

It depends on the preset you’ve selected. Some are designed to sound similar across the range, others morph into different things over several octaves.

• @brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

BD=10
    SD=30
    CP=50
    LT=70
    MT=90
    HT=110
    CH=120
    OH=127

Oh man...

It depends on the preset you’ve selected. Some are designed to sound similar across the range, others morph into different things over several octaves.

Can I use one XOX to control 8 instances of Noir, to give myself a full drum machine?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

BD=10
    SD=30
    CP=50
    LT=70
    MT=90
    HT=110
    CH=120
    OH=127

Oh man...

Can I use one XOX to control 8 instances of Noir, to give myself a full drum machine?

X0X sends out MIDI notes to one MIDI channel, so you'll need an additional mechanism to route these individual notes to different channels. You could use the note filters in AUM to filter out the unwanted note ranges on each channel but it seems inefficient.

But, why not use the built-in sequencer of Noir? This will bring out the full richness of the synth engine.

• @brambos said:
    But, why not use the built-in sequencer of Noir? This will bring out the full richness of the synth engine.

Wouldn't I need 8 instances to replicate full drum machine, and have to run 8 different sequencers? I thought Noir only did one sound at a time.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@brambos said:

Wouldn't I need 8 instances to replicate full drum machine, and have to run 8 different sequencers? I thought Noir only did one sound at a time.

Sort of/Not really. ;-)

It's monophonic so only makes one sound at a time, but that sound can be radically different for each step. So one instance can make kick, snare, hat, tom, clicks, weird, etc depending on the pitch and velocity (plus you can modulate parameters on top of this too). If your beats aren't too OTT you can make a very full sounding pattern with kick, snare, hats, percussion with just the one instance that sounds like a polyphonic drum synth. And it will sound big and will be very easy to sit it in the mix as you've not got kicks, snares, toms etc all competing for similar frequencies on each hit.

You might want an additional instance for high frequency sounds like hats, but I would personally use something like Ruismaker FM on top of a Noir rather than have too many instances of Noir as Noir can be quite a dominant sounding synth and rather than try and tame it I like it for what it's best at.

• Rozeta LFO + Noir = DFAM but better on your iPad. 2x Rozeta LFO + Noir = modular modulation multiplied. I had a ball doing just this last night.