Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthMaster One on Sale - 50% off (11/16/18)

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Why do I need this? I’ve got a ton of synths (though still surprisingly struggle to find the right sound at times) already, yet 90% of the time I just open Ripplemaker.

Is this a proper all-rounder workhorse, or just a pretty sparkly thing I’ll put back in the drawer a week later?

You don't need it.

But it seems for a number of us it falls into that 'top three or four' that you end up using, going to. So, while there's many (many) I would either give back or want to hold onto but would have to admit I never use, this fellow (for iOS) seems to have a bunch of noise that's from the higher echelon. For all of that, you have the Komplete thingie and therefore I'm not sure you don't already have lots of all the noises.

For me it's a 'must have', whether I'll think that/use it much after the Mk3 arrives, we'll see. I still suspect so however because I have a weakness for pretty things.

Thanks for the feedback Captain.

I’ve watched a few vids, mostly Doug’s, and it does seem capable of producing sounds my other synths can’t, and I like the look of the sequencer/arp. That’s my main concern really - replication of what I already have (on the iPad), plus there’s still a few other apps on my list.

I’ve got hundreds of synths on the desktop (just wait until you dive into the free Reaktor stuff), but the iPad still plays an important part in my music making, and despite all the synths I have on it already, I still find myself searching in vain for a particular sound.

I am tempted by this, it looks and sounds like a bit of a beast. Had a bit of an iOS splurge this month though so need to keep an eye on the pennies.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Why do I need this? I’ve got a ton of synths (though still surprisingly struggle to find the right sound at times) already, yet 90% of the time I just open Ripplemaker.

Is this a proper all-rounder workhorse, or just a pretty sparkly thing I’ll put back in the drawer a week later?

You don't need it.

But it seems for a number of us it falls into that 'top three or four' that you end up using, going to. So, while there's many (many) I would either give back or want to hold onto but would have to admit I never use, this fellow (for iOS) seems to have a bunch of noise that's from the higher echelon. For all of that, you have the Komplete thingie and therefore I'm not sure you don't already have lots of all the noises.

For me it's a 'must have', whether I'll think that/use it much after the Mk3 arrives, we'll see. I still suspect so however because I have a weakness for pretty things.

I’ve watched a few vids, mostly Doug’s, and it does seem capable of producing sounds my other synths can’t, and I like the look of the sequencer/arp. That’s my main concern really - replication of what I already have (on the iPad), plus there’s still a few other apps on my list.

I’ve got hundreds of synths on the desktop (just wait until you dive into the free Reaktor stuff), but the iPad still plays an important part in my music making, and despite all the synths I have on it already, I still find myself searching in vain for a particular sound.

I am tempted by this, it looks and sounds like a bit of a beast. Had a bit of an iOS splurge this month though so need to keep an eye on the pennies.

Buy it. Put in on next month's bill.

• edited November 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

You don't need it.

For me it is primarily the (insert hand waving) mystery meat of the audio engine. The under the hood that makes it smooth and anti aliased sounding so that filters and such are lush and expressive and not just thin and pixely. The way it can smoothly squelch and overdrive filter peaks and not just fracture, dry up, fart and fall apart like 90% of the other iOS synths. It feels like out with the old and in with the new in terms of audio fidelity. Only this and Model 15/D seem to be in this generation of audio engine that hold up well next to VSTs for me. In that trio though I just get more mileage from the character of Synthmaster One.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

You don't need it.

For me it is primarily the (insert hand waving) mystery meat of the audio engine. The under the hood that makes it smooth and anti aliased sounding so that filters and such are lush and expressive and not just thin and pixely. The way it can smoothly squelch and overdrive filter peaks and not just fracture, dry up, fart and fall apart like 90% of the other iOS synths. It feels like out with the old and in with the new in terms of audio fidelity. Only this and Model 15/D seem to be in this generation of audio engine that hold up well next to VSTs for me. In that trio though I just get more mileage from the character of Synthmaster One.

Yeah, it definitely sounds the business, and those filters are very meaty.

I’ve got quite a few synths that sound really good: Synthscaper, Layr, Model D/15 and Zeeon, but the problem is they’re all CPU gobblers, and I can only run a couple of instances before my Air 2 gives up. I notice Doug was running FIVE of this one on his Air 2, so that’s an important consideration.

I think that’s the decider for me.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

You don't need it.

Buy it. Put in on next month's bill.

Ok Boss, going in...

• It’s a bit of a beast this one. First impressions were slightly disappointing - though it sounded good, I found the knobs a bit fiddly and twitchy, and my attempts at tweaking were producing some dubious results. However, after a while I started discovering its hidden secrets, and began to tame its wayward temperament.

It’s very, very deep. Possibly the deepest synth I have, and so there’s a lot of potential there.

I still find it twitchy, but it’s one for learning, and that sequencer is the business. I gave up using my usual Steppolyarp, Riffer and Rozeta setup with it and instead used the internal sequencer in three instances in an AUM jam, and it sounded mega.

Yeah, a lot of meat there for a tenner, and I’ll enjoy exploring this one tonight.

• @MonzoPro said:
    It’s a bit of a beast this one. First impressions were slightly disappointing - though it sounded good, I found the knobs a bit fiddly and twitchy, and my attempts at tweaking were producing some dubious results. However, after a while I started discovering its hidden secrets, and began to tame its wayward temperament.

It’s very, very deep. Possibly the deepest synth I have, and so there’s a lot of potential there.

I still find it twitchy, but it’s one for learning, and that sequencer is the business. I gave up using my usual Steppolyarp, Riffer and Rozeta setup with it and instead used the internal sequencer in three instances in an AUM jam, and it sounded mega.

Yeah, a lot of meat there for a tenner, and I’ll enjoy exploring this one tonight.

Good to hear. Believe it will see you into the New Year.

• @AspectRatio said:
    Just a heads up, Synthmaster One is on sale @ 50% off!

Yooo perfect timing thx👍🏼

• I knew it! 😮

• edited November 2018

I have a problem with this in that I can’t see SynthMaster One in Stagelight’s AU list - if anyone can help would be much appreciated!

SOLVED: In Stagelight go to settings, ‘plugins’ tab, and ‘scan for new’

• Bought it too. Thanks for your comments @MonzoPro

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:
    @brice created some presets for SM1 a few months ago and wanted to share them - also posted a question to you on how to share presets.

Cloud sync sounds very interesting. Thanks for considering the suggestions.

Brice is actually gonna create 50 factory presets for us :wink:

Right, that was my "must purchase" trigger triggered. :)

• edited November 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:
    It’s a bit of a beast this one. First impressions were slightly disappointing - though it sounded good, I found the knobs a bit fiddly and twitchy, and my attempts at tweaking were producing some dubious results. However, after a while I started discovering its hidden secrets, and began to tame its wayward temperament.

Yeah, I’ll spend tonight rummaging in its innards. Mrs Monzo and Jnr are out tomorrow, so I’m determined to get a couple of tracks finished - I’ve got ten or so half-finished things, and I’ve descended into ‘fiddling’, so I’m going to crack on and get a couple done and dusted. Might put this one and Noir to work somewhere in the mix, create a few loops to throw into the pot, trigged via the Mk3.

@Marcel said:
    Bought it too. Thanks for your comments @MonzoPro

Hope you like it. I’ve enjoyed exploring it so far, and getting some good noises out of it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yeah, I’ll spend tonight rummaging in its innards. Mrs Monzo and Jnr are out tomorrow, so I’m determined to get a couple of tracks finished - I’ve got ten or so half-finished things, and I’ve descended into ‘fiddling’, so I’m going to crack on and get a couple done and dusted. Might put this one and Noir to work somewhere in the mix, create a few loops to throw into the pot, trigged via the Mk3.

Find a lot of creative time is well served by scheduling in when the herberts are out for an hour or two....looking forward to what this MK3 is going to do for me etc....

• edited November 2018

@MonzoPro said:

TIP: You may already know this one - if you tap on a knob, hold and move the finger away from the knob, you can make fine and minute adjustments based on how far you move the tapped finger away from the knob (radius) - similar to how we do it in Thor. I did not know this feature existed in SM1 for a long time until the dev revealed it recently. I wish it displayed a connecting line between the tapped knob and the moved finger as a visual cue of the radius like it does in Thor.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Find a lot of creative time is well served by scheduling in when the herberts are out for an hour or two....looking forward to what this MK3 is going to do for me etc....

Are you getting a full version of Komplete? The only drawback is you end up with such a ridiculously VAST palette of wonderful sounds, you can get a bit lost in trying out different combinations of things. The 10 - 20 tracks I’ve got half finished were started on iPad and Maschine, and then some are almost completed in Reason with added guitar and shit. But there are so many options, I’m loathe to say ‘done’. Whereas on the iPad it’s all loaded into AUM, the record button is engaged, and there’s no going back.

It’s incredibly good fun mind.

• @MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

TIP: You may already know this one - if you tap on a knob, hold and move the finger away from the knob, you can make fine and minute adjustments based on how far you move the tapped finger away from the knob (radius) - similar to how we do it in Thor. I did not know this feature existed in SM1 for a long time until the dev revealed it recently

Thanks for the tip. There’s a whole bunch of stuff in there just waiting to be discovered I’m sure.

I’m hoping it will get used a lot on finished tracks, but if not I’ll certainly enjoy getting lost creating weird and wonderful patches.

• I use the desktop SynthMasters, so getting SM1 when it came out for iOS didn't take much convincing. 50% off on an already great deal is what? A 100% greater deal? Not sure. For a BOT, my math ain't so good.

• @MonzoPro said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MonzoPro said:

TIP: You may already know this one - if you tap on a knob, hold and move the finger away from the knob, you can make fine and minute adjustments based on how far you move the tapped finger away from the knob (radius) - similar to how we do it in Thor. I did not know this feature existed in SM1 for a long time until the dev revealed it recently

Thanks for the tip. There’s a whole bunch of stuff in there just waiting to be discovered I’m sure.

I’m hoping it will get used a lot on finished tracks, but if not I’ll certainly enjoy getting lost creating weird and wonderful patches.

These days, I'm using only SynthMaster One plugged into Cubasis (with a couple of native Cubasis instruments/drums/FX) on my music video projects and the results are jaw-dropping for me.

• @Monoboy said:
    I have a problem with this in that I can’t see SynthMaster One in Stagelight’s AU list - if anyone can help would be much appreciated!

SOLVED: In Stagelight go to settings, ‘plugins’ tab, and ‘scan for new’

As per the devs, the AU list in a DAW gets fetched and cached when the first instance starts. It should also refresh the list if you just quit and relaunch the app. Cool that SL has an on-demand refresh option inside the app. Cubasis needs relaunch.

• Hmmm.......bought it, made a preset bank, added some tweaked presets to it, registered the app, bank gone.

However I managed to find these lost presets cause when saving them earlier I added my initials to the presetnames. So I could search them. They were there, but the dedicated bank for these presets was gone.

@MonzoPro - yeh, I like it so far, except for the bug I described. Also: its weird, but sometimes the BPM is not adjustable. And the syncing with Garageband is not great, had to move the arp track manual to make the sync right. Used Audiobus, cause had troubles with SM One as inapp in GB. But nevertheless its much fun playing with it, and the sound is good!

• @Marcel said:
    Hmmm.......bought it, made a preset bank, added some tweaked presets to it, registered the app, bank gone.

However I managed to find these lost presets cause when saving them earlier I added my initials to the presetnames. So I could search them. They were there, but the dedicated bank for these presets was gone.

@MonzoPro - yeh, I like it so far, except for the bug I described. Also: its weird, but sometimes the BPM is not adjustable. And the syncing with Garageband is not great, had to move the arp track manual to make the sync right. Used Audiobus, cause had troubles with SM One as inapp in GB. But nevertheless its much fun playing with it, and the sound is good!

Yeah, didn’t seem to sync with Noir when I paired it up in AUM. Link on etc., but I’m sure it’s something I’ve missed.

• @MonzoPro @Marcel You are blind good men helping each other through the cellar of your new found dreams...

• @Marcel said:
    Hmmm.......bought it, made a preset bank, added some tweaked presets to it, registered the app, bank gone.

The Browser still has some rough edges. You have to select the preset and re-set/assign the Bank name from the Attributes section. Also, the preset list sometimes doesn't refresh until we quit and relaunch SM1.

• @MobileMusic said:
    The Browser still has some rough edges. You have to select the preset and re-set/assign the Bank name from the Attributes section. Also, the preset list sometimes doesn't refresh until we quit and relaunch SM1.

In the next update new features/improvements for banks are coming !

• edited November 2018

I'm also considering 3 things for the new update:

1. online presets library where users can share their patches.
    2. preset rating between 1-5 (this way 5 star presets become your favourites for instance), filter presets by rating. We could also store rating data online -> need a voting for this
    3. crossplatform cloud support-> done with your presets on iOS? -> sync to the cloud and use them on SynthMaster One desktop (Windows or Mac, also Android on the way), or vice versa -> work with your presets on the desktop -> sync them to the cloud and then you can use them on your iPad (and iPhone soon)
  • Did I read somewhere something about extra presets for registering it?

• BTW, who wants an iPhone version? the iPhone is way too small in my opinion, but I can still get a layout for the iPhone if there's really demand for it.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Did I read somewhere something about extra presets for registering it?

Yep. just click on the about tab, click on the register button and complete registration by entering your email and name. if you are a desktop user, enter your desktop serial as well.

• Synthmaster is on sale for computers as well at plugin boutique. I don't use or own any of them (no synthmaster for iPhone) myself.

• edited November 2018

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    I'm also considering 3 things for the new update:

1. online presets library where users can share their patches.
    2. preset rating between 1-5 (this way 5 star presets become your favourites for instance), filter presets by rating. We could also store rating data online -> need a voting for this
    3. crossplatform cloud support-> done with your presets on iOS? -> sync to the cloud and use them on SynthMaster One desktop (Windows or Mac, also Android on the way), or vice versa -> work with your presets on the desktop -> sync them to the cloud and then you can use them on your iPad (and iPhone soon)

+1 for all these features. Recently, when my beta expired, I had to reinstall the public version and lost my user presets and favorites. It would have been ideal if I was able to restore my user presets, favorites, Bookmarks, ratings, etc from cloud sync. Also useful when we have to sync these on to another/new device or after a reset, etc. Would be useful when you release the IPhone version