Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• This is really good :)

• @Carnbot said:
    This is really good :)

Interested in how you are using it....

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

Only a quick play so far. But apeMatrix is a great host for it. LFOs on the quantity, reliability and other parts.
    Have been sending to midi echo and filtering through that, then streambyter for a bit of humanising :)

• @Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

Only a quick play so far. But apeMatrix is a great host for it. LFOs on the quantity, reliability and other parts.
    Have been sending to midi echo and filtering through that, then streambyter for a bit of humanising :)

Huzzah. Relieves me of all responsibility, I haven't figured out apeMatrix yet and streambyter is surely too complicated for the average bear :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

Huzzah. Relieves me of all responsibility, I haven't figured out apeMatrix yet and streambyter is surely too complicated for the average bear :)

Daveypoo has those excellent apeMatrix tutorials on his YT channel. Watched the first two myself just yesterday. They are really awesome.

• @Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

Dang, that is some creative connecting right there. Excellent. B)

• @CracklePot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

Daveypoo has those excellent apeMatrix tutorials on his YT channel. Watched the first two myself just yesterday. They are really awesome.

Dang, @CracklePot - thanks for the plug!

Got another one on deck to be out tomorrow... Anyone want a sneak peek?

:wink:

• @Daveypoo Hey, my pleasure. Thank you for the thoroughly awesome tutorials. :)
    Autocorrect almost made me recommend Davenport! Glad I caught that. :D

I am looking forward to watching the Hammond Organ video you have. I will definitely learn some things from that video.

You are creating some excellent content. Please continue. B)

• @Daveypoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Carnbot said:

Dang, @CracklePot - thanks for the plug!

Got another one on deck to be out tomorrow... Anyone want a sneak peek?

:wink:

Do you really need to ask? :D

• Alright - if I get a break in work long enough to do all the posts on the various social media places I'll post it later today.

• Back on track, though - while Doug's video on Autony was good, nothing in it really sold me on this app.

Still waiting to hear what other come up with....

• @pagefall - why can I not choose the key of B? - every other root is available

• @Mayo said:
    @pagefall - why can I not choose the key of B? - every other root is available

That is weird.
    In the meantime, maybe try setting G Aeolian. It is the relative minor of B Major.
    Just remember to offset your chord root if you are using chords. The III chord would be the I chord in the relative Major.

• @CracklePot said:

@Mayo said:

That is weird.
    In the meantime, maybe try setting G Aeolian. It is the relative minor of B Major.
    Just remember to offset your chord root if you are using chords. The III chord would be the I chord in the relative Major.

It would need to be G# Aeolian or Ab Aeolian. G Aeolian aligns with Bb Major. The interval is a minor 3rd between the Aeolian and Major Keys root notes.

It might makes more sense to use C Major and transpose the synth target down a 1/2 step to play in B Major.

• @McDtracy said:

@CracklePot said:

@Mayo said:

That is weird.

It would need to be G# Aeolian or Ab Aeolian. G Aeolian aligns with Bb Major. The interval is a minor 3rd between the Aeolian and Major Keys root notes.

It might makes more sense to use C Major and transpose the synth target down a 1/2 step to play in B Major.

Yep, you be right about that.
    If you have Autony, try transposing vs. using relative key. The result sounds different to me, but not sure why or what is really happening with the notes.
    What do you think, if you can try comparing?

• Ugh. When I added the missing ‘e’ back in I didn’t increase the length of the list so ‘b’ fell off. Will fix in next update

Transpose is pre quantise so you are basically hearing the quirks of the algorithm to move to the nearest note. All quantisers are like that - a decision needs to be made on how to move notes/time.

• @pagefall said:
    Ugh. When I added the missing ‘e’ back in I didn’t increase the length of the list so ‘b’ fell off. Will fix in next update

Transpose is pre quantise so you are basically hearing the quirks of the algorithm to move to the nearest note. All quantisers are like that - a decision needs to be made on how to move notes/time.

Just make an option that is “sounds best” 🤪

• @pagefall what would be needed to get Autony to show up in BM3? I´m guessing you need to set the app to be an 'aumi' midi effect app. Is that just a matter of changing a setting, given that your app already is midi only?

Cubasis owners, is Autony available in the Cubasis midi FX slots?

• edited January 2019

I have set the midi effect thing so that it appears in Cubasis - I've used it myself there so it does work :-) (My main iOS platforms are AUM and Cubasis - I need to buy some of the others so I can test them too)

I've not looked at Bm3 yet - My reading of @brambos post on the topic was to avoid AUMI - can you add both? dunno - will investigate.

(I will commit though to it being available in the 1.3 update that will be coming up in January! I'll figure out how to do it one way or the other :-) )

• @bleep said:
    @pagefall what would be needed to get Autony to show up in BM3? I´m guessing you need to set the app to be an 'aumi' midi effect app. Is that just a matter of changing a setting, given that your app already is midi only?

Cubasis owners, is Autony available in the Cubasis midi FX slots?

Autony works like a breeze in Cubasis. Its super easy to set up and its recording the whole midi sequence into midi notes into the Cubasis sequencer. Just select Autony as midi effect and that’s actually it. I have Bm3, AUM, GarageBand, NS2 and Stagelight. I think easier than Cubasis you cannot set it up. I abandoned BM3 in terms of midi effects because I was not able to connect everything.

To wrap up and answer your question: yes its showing up as a midi effect in the FX slot and its working in Cubasis ;)

• @pagefall said:
    I've not looked at Bm3 yet - My reading of @brambos post on the topic was to avoid AUMI - can you add both? dunno - will investigate.

You can use aumi now, with a few caveats:

• Apple have recently made aumi official. It’s still 100% undocumented, but the au type is official.
    • You can apply both aumi and aumu types to the same plugin, but it may show up twice in the host
    • Host implementation of aumi is rather inconsistent, and until Apple implement it in GB everyone will be just guessing about the intended implementation. Apple may mess everything up further down the road
    • Apple have only shown aumu in wwdc demos, aumi hasn’t been demonstrated

So: go for it but keep in mind it’s still wild west territory :)

• Do you have any insight into what you did to make your MIDI things work properly with BM3 @brambos ? my stuff appears as instruments and not as midi effects - your stuff appears in all the right places!