AUM AU automation

I've been away for a while and don't recall whether AUM allows automation of AU parameters. Playing with Ruismaker noir

Advice please !

Comments

• Welcome back. B)

It definitely does. Start at the menu on the top-right > midi control > channel that the plugin is in. You can manually map cc numbers, or midi learn them.

• Or did you mean does it allow you to draw in or record automation? If so, then the answer is no.

• Thank you - it was recording automation so thanks for the response - over to Cubasis 2 for that then........

• Yeah no automation, would be good if AUM had built-in record and playback of midi. Like a node you could add to track. This would be the best solution however there is a new app coming called photon which will record/playback/loop midi.

• I've bumped into an 'interesting' issue with AUM and AU Automation...
    If the AUv3 contains 'a lot' of parameters AUM chooses not to show them at all?!

For example SquareSynth 2 contains 'a lot' of AUParameters and none of them are visible in AUM!!

BM3 also struggles to show all the SquareSynth 2 parameters and stops at 256 or so.
    GarageBand also has issues showing all the AU Parameters...

In Cubasis I can automate all the parameters without issues by recording the automation from the UI.
    ApeMatrix is also able to show all the parameters.

So it seems we have a new 'bench mark AUv3' for hosts to deal with when it comes to AU Automation :)

• Just get Xequence and use it with AUM?

• edited November 13

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Just get Xequence and use it with AUM?

Xequence isn’t AUv3 and it would be more elegant and compact if automation was internally recorded within AUM but you are correct, using Xequence would work with AUM.

• edited November 13
  • Apematrix however does!

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Apematrix however does!

Dang I need to go back and look - didn’t realise it did!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    Apematrix however does!

Dang I need to go back and look - didn’t realise it did!

Admittedly uses the LFO's to do this but can be manipulated to the same effect by adjusting the LFO waveform

• @Samu said:
    I've bumped into an 'interesting' issue with AUM and AU Automation...
    If the AUv3 contains 'a lot' of parameters AUM chooses not to show them at all?!

For example SquareSynth 2 contains 'a lot' of AUParameters and none of them are visible in AUM!!

BM3 also struggles to show all the SquareSynth 2 parameters and stops at 256 or so.
    GarageBand also has issues showing all the AU Parameters...

In Cubasis I can automate all the parameters without issues by recording the automation from the UI.
    ApeMatrix is also able to show all the parameters.

So it seems we have a new 'bench mark AUv3' for hosts to deal with when it comes to AU Automation :)

AUM only shows AU parameters marked as "writable" by the plugin. Many devs seem to ignore this. But there's no reason to list parameters that can't/shouldn't be changed by the user. However, considering the number of times both users and devs has asked me why parameters are not showing up in AUM, I might list them greyed-out and display a note about it if the user taps it! :)

• edited December 4

@j_liljedahl said:

AUM only shows AU parameters marked as "writable" by the plugin. Many devs seem to ignore this. But there's no reason to list parameters that can't/shouldn't be changed by the user. However, considering the number of times both users and devs has asked me why parameters are not showing up in AUM, I might list them greyed-out and display a note about it if the user taps it! :)

Could this also be the reason why only a few 'random' parameters are shown in GarageBand?(it's not always the same parameters either which puzzles me).

I'm not god enough at 'Dev Speak' so I don't know how to properly explain this to the dev :)
    http://www.sonickitten.com/about/ (Feedback form)

The AU parameters seem to work fine in Cubasis (ie. it's possible to both record and play back automation) and ApeMatrix has no issues automating them meaning they surely must be 'writable' even if they are not tagged as such?

NB. An update to SquareSynth 2 just dropped and most of the parameters are now visible in AUM too :)

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Could this also be the reason why only a few 'random' parameters are shown in GarageBand?(it's not always the same parameters either which puzzles me).

I'm not god enough at 'Dev Speak' so I don't know how to properly explain this to the dev :)
    http://www.sonickitten.com/about/ (Feedback form)

The AU parameters seem to work fine in Cubasis (ie. it's possible to both record and play back automation) and ApeMatrix has no issues automating them meaning they surely must be 'writable' even if they are not tagged as such?

NB. An update to SquareSynth 2 just dropped and most of the parameters are now visible in AUM too :)

In dev speak, here's what AUM does:

if(!(par.flags & kAudioUnitParameterFlag_IsWritable)) continue; // ignore this parameter