Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I ordered the new 12.9" pro, but starting to think if i should cancel it..

I have been wanting a bigger ipad for a long long time and the new ipad pros came to my phone carrier, so i bought one last night. However now im starting to doubt whether i should just stick with my air2. My workflow has moved lately more to sampling from ipad synths and eurorack to mpc, while using AUM on it. This doesent require too much CPU.. I was also planning of keeping my air2 as a secondary ipad, both for music and because pro isnt as handy to carry around the house, so i was planning of keeping it hooked to my music gear. I am trying to think if there are some things that i havent thought of an would benefit more from the horsepower or larger screen. Maybe with the apple pen, using daws would be better. Or maybe i should just sell the MPC, get some controller and expert sleepers eurorack interface and move more purely onto ios again. Then again i have been enjoying the stability of the MPC, which sadly isnt there for ios..

Buying the older pro doesent make much sense either, because i want to buy it with 3-year plan and older pro is only 10€ cheaper per month.

Blah, not sure what to do. I got about a week till i get it and would like to make up my mind before it. I know that you guys cant tell me the answer on it, but maybe my rambling will result in some replies that help me make up my mind :D

Comments

• Got a laptop? A new MacBook Air could be an option w either logic or something else

• No, you shouldn’t cancel the order. Solved that right away!

• @Telstar5 said:
    Got a laptop? A new MacBook Air could be an option w either logic or something else

I have a mid 2014 15" MBP. Still running like new, so no real need for a laptop either. However one option i was thinking is the new mac mini and starting to use ableton again. But my carrier doesent have that :/ only laptops and imacs and blowing 800€ on it as single pay woudnt be worth it really as i would need to sell some gear, like the mpc..

• Simple: Buy a used older Pro

• @tja said:
    Simple: Buy a used older Pro

Nah. I see no point in that in my situation

• return it. If you don't want it enough to get 24 hours past the order without doubting your purchase, then you don't really want it.

Personally I went into the Apple Store and got my greasy hands on the new iPads. As soon as I can I'll be upgrading. I'm on a 2015 12.9 and the 2018 new speed + reduced size looks like a huge improvement.

• @ToMess said:

@tja said:

Your argument were 10 Euro.
    Buy a used one from 2017 for about 800 Euro, with 512 GB!

• edited November 2018

Bought mine last week. At first, the size felt kind of awkward but since I got my hands on it, it grew on me to the point I feel it's actually the optimal size for production. My take on this is most apps are made for 12.9 then the UI is shrunk into lesser resolution. You can feel it in most apps you use, music or drawing. If money is not a problem for you, do not cancel it. You will regret your decision.

• edited November 2018

@tja said:

@ToMess said:

@tja said:

Loan me 800€? Ill pay back monthly over 3-years

Edit. Nvm, the difference between motnhly payments still would be around 20€ compared to 40€ for new pro, so still doesent make sense, as 20€ per month isnt a biggie

• @ToMess said:

@tja said:

@ToMess said:

@tja said:

You wanted to pay more, over a bank.
    Do the same for the smaller sum.

• @ToMess said:

@tja said:

@ToMess said:

@tja said:

Edit. Nvm, the difference between motnhly payments still would be around 20€ compared to 40€ for new pro, so still doesent make sense, as 20€ per month isnt a biggie

3 * 12 * 20 = 720

• I use my previous generation iPad Pro every single day. I don't know what I would do without it. It's big, it's fast, and it can do much more than music. The Apple Pencil is great for drawing and painting apps too.

• @ToMess said:

@Telstar5 said:
    Got a laptop? A new MacBook Air could be an option w either logic or something else

I have a mid 2014 15" MBP. Still running like new, so no real need for a laptop either. However one option i was thinking is the new mac mini and starting to use ableton again. But my carrier doesent have that :/ only laptops and imacs and blowing 800€ on it as single pay woudnt be worth it really as i would need to sell some gear, like the mpc..

Ableton isn't compatible yet with Mojave. Understood it's coming soon, but promises...

and why but an 2017 model, why not another Air 2 with 128GB they are much cheaper and fit your needs.

• @jigglypuff said:
    I use my previous generation iPad Pro every single day. I don't know what I would do without it. It's big, it's fast, and it can do much more than music. The Apple Pencil is great for drawing and painting apps too.

2017 12.9” with Pencil is a very powerful combo. I also use mine everyday, not just for music.

I’m considering getting a regular 2018 iPad as well now that it works with the 1st gen Pencil and has an A10, but going to wait and see if they remove that headphone jack in 2019...seems silly that it’s left on the budget model and not the Pros in the same release year. Would love to hear a bullshit explanation about how the negligible reduction in thickness is more beneficial to Pro users than a 3.5mm jack.

• The giant ipad is really great for the music apps. It is worse for holding in your hands and screwing around on the internet. I had to come to terms with what I actually intended to use it for!

The speakers are better than the regular ipad's speakers- something approaching a laptop.

• @Processaurus said:
    The giant ipad is really great for the music apps. It is worse for holding in your hands and screwing around on the internet. I had to come to terms with what I actually intended to use it for!

The speakers are better than the regular ipad's speakers- something approaching a laptop.

+1

• edited November 2018

@ToMess said:
    I have been wanting a bigger ipad for a long long time and the new ipad pros came to my phone carrier, so i bought one last night. However now im starting to doubt whether i should just stick with my air2. My workflow has moved lately more to sampling from ipad synths and eurorack to mpc, while using AUM on it. This doesent require too much CPU..

Sounds like you don't need it.

I thought I'd be in the same position earlier in the year, but iOS12 gave my Air 2 a real performance boost, and aside from running some of the heftier new synths it's doing ok. I think (hope) it'll last antoher 6 months and I'll see what's available then. Only worry is we have this thing called Brexit looming in the UK, so I have no idea how this will affect buying equipment from overseas price-wise. Could be more expensive next year so maybe holding on will be a mistake.

Reviews about sample rate differences and bending have put me off the new one a bit, so it won't do any harm to hear more reviews anyway.

• edited November 2018

@Processaurus said:
    The giant ipad is really great for the music apps. It is worse for holding in your hands and screwing around on the internet. I had to come to terms with what I actually intended to use it for!

A good point here, the speakers are pretty good on a iPad pro and better than on the other iPad models.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Processaurus said:

A good point here, the speakers are pretty good on a iPad pro and better than on the other iPad models.

Yes, excellent point. I find it's useful to use the speakers to avoid the fatigue I can get when using headphones after awhile. Plus closed cans build up heat. I do not like my 12.9 for anything other than music use. I like my mini for internet messing around, now I need a new one as its been really kicked around....grrr friggin cats.

• Go on holiday instead. Think of the memories That girl you'll meet. The fight in the bar that will seem a laugh years later when your sight is mostly back. Also, other people seem to like fishing as a hobby.

• Fishing isn’t any cheaper. Every time I walk past an angler they have a ton of very expensive gear, apart from the radio, that always has to be grandpa’s cheapo transistor set. But everything else looks seriously premium.

• edited November 2018

Just watched Brad Colbow review the 2018 iPad Pro on YouTube. He makes some salient points.
    1. It doesn’t seem (perceptually) any faster than the previous 2017 model YMMV
    2. It’s the same screen size but smaller (less bezel)
    3. The pencil is magnetically attached and charges wirelessly and also has flat edges (it won’t roll aways). It wont’t work with previous models
    4. USB C for EVERYTHING dongles galore, but prob not much more than now. (Actually less - from I read from another post)

1. For my 2 cents on almost all Apple products I buy after the product matures.
      for my phone I got the 4s as the first phone and kept it for as long as possible ( 3years )
      My first iPad is the 2017 model I got for about $600 for the 256GB model
      My first modern Mac was a Mac Pro and I kept it till I got 2013 MacBook Pro
    2. Keep it for 3-5 years
    3. Wait till the next BIG thing before buying another or getting another apple product as an addition

If you feel like you need to upgrade, upgrade or buy some hardware ;P

Regards

• Btw isn’t the normal IPad good enough for music production .. cubasis/ Auria?

• @hisdudeness said:
    Btw isn’t the normal IPad good enough for music production .. cubasis/ Auria?

It depends on what you do with it. Regular ipad is near identical to air2, but with worse screen

• tjatja
    edited November 2018

I did it.
    I got a used iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen. with 512 GB
    <3 B) :D o:)

Together with a 3rd party cover for 850 Euro.

• iPad mini 4, it's just the perfect size for patterning and I love it

• edited November 2018

@tja said:
    I did it.

Congratulations, looks like a good buy!👍
    That’s just the half money compared to the new 12.9 Pro... 😊

Have a lot of fun with it! 🎶

• @chandroji said:

@tja said:
    I did it.

Congratulations, looks like a good buy!👍
    That’s just the half money compared to the new 12.9 Pro... 😊

Have a lot of fun with it! 🎶

Yessssss.

Currently restoring it from a backup of my 9.7 ...
    Curious if that will work,

• @tja said:
    I did it.

Now, go finger your stuff - and - have a lot of fun, doing that :smiley:

• @ToMess said:

@hisdudeness said:
    Btw isn’t the normal IPad good enough for music production .. cubasis/ Auria?

It depends on what you do with it. Regular ipad is near identical to air2, but with worse screen

Seems to just come down to screen or battery.

Battery in the new regular ipad is about 80% better, much longer life. Single core in the new ipad is about 30% better with multi core being about the same.