Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis vs Auria Pro. Which one would you choose and why?

As the title says. I have Cubasis but thinking of Auria Pro as it’s currently on offer and wondered if it was better.

Comments

• schsch
    edited November 2018

Auria Pro

1. Busses and subgroups
    2. FabFilter IAPs
    3. Much higher resolution
    4. Tempo track
    5. Time signatures
    6. Generally a much more comprehensive mixing/mastering experience

Many other Pro features too.

• That depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Many find Cubasis easier for composing, and Auria Pro much more powerful for finished production.

It all comes down to whether you feel like you’re struggling with any of Cubasis’ limitations.

• @sch said:
    Auria Pro

1. Busses and subgroups
    2. FabFilter IAPs
    4. Tempo track
    5. Time signatures

+1. I usually compose in another app (Gadget, garage band) and send audio stems to Auria Pro. Then finish out with Fabfilter plug ins and use six/buss routing for mixing.

• edited November 2018

@sch said:
    Auria Pro

1. Busses and subgroups
    2. FabFilter IAPs
    4. Tempo track
    5. Time signatures

I would add:
    7. Advanced audio editing features (time stretch, audio warp, advanced fades, pitch, audio quantizing, transient detection, transient markers manual manipulation, etc, etc)
    8. Aux FX pre/post fader
    9. Transport controls and Remote Protocols for controlling Auria from external interfaces
    10. Detailed metering system
    11. PSP Channel & Master Strips with pro features (SSL type)
    12. Advanced Mixdown and export features
    13. Included Fabfilter One and Twin 2 synths (awesome synths!)
    14. Advanced MIDI channel strip (advanced grid/groove quantizing, velocity shift/compression, randomization, etc)
    15. Optional video plugin for audio sync (replace audio, realtime scrubbing, SMPTE, etc)

Just to name a few thing that are not available or at least are heavily stripped down in Cubasis.

• Also another advantage is that you can set your latency to 4096 when using the native plugins and audio tracks, so you can have dozens of live plugins when mixing, without ever needing to freeze tracks.

1. Optional video plugin for audio sync (replace audio, realtime scrubbing, SMPTE, etc)

Can you use Auria to score films, independent or otherwise? And if so how does it work?

• edited November 2018

@sysexual said:

1. Optional video plugin for audio sync (replace audio, realtime scrubbing, SMPTE, etc)

Can you use Auria to score films, independent or otherwise? And if so how does it work?

AAF import works well with video too. I’ve edited things in Pro Tools for post and opened it in Auria

• @sysexual said:

There is no notation software in Auria.

• @Jmcmillan said:

@sysexual said:

There is no notation software in Auria.

Seems like something the iPad should have by now.

• Try PreSonus Notion for notation. It integrates really well with the Apple pencil

• @cyberheater said:
    As the title says. I have Cubasis but thinking of Auria Pro as it’s currently on offer and wondered if it was better.

There have been dozens of discussions here one the stregths and weaknesses of of each app, and many users prefer one over the other based on their workflow.
    And there are also a good number who find both useful! My take away is many find Cubasis’ interface to be very straight forward for recording, and that Auria’s strength is in mixing, and a number of folks here use both toward getting great sounding tracks.
    So buying Auria may not be as much of a replacement for Cubasis as much as a complimentary tool - it all depends on your workflow and skill sets.

• I got them both (50% sales) and now use AUM but it's a long story why but a real pattern here. If Auria didn't go on sale first I'd probably have passed but it was my first DAW and Cubasis went on sale and I've made everything in that until I got hooked on AUM. Now I'm drooling on apeMatrix for many reasons that I love AUM. Assembling Apps into a configuration that loads and runs with a high degree of stability.

BUT... Auria Pro has the Lyra Sampler which is the only product that can import SFZ packaged samples like the wonderful "Piano in Room 162". The best free piano you'll find out there in the wild.
    To run this instrument you need rock solid "disk streaming" of the 6GB's of sample files and Lyra has that feature. I;d love to see them package it as a Sample Playback App.

Today I learned that StageLight can import SFZ's so I need to test that. StageLight is free with a $9 uplock fee to run AU's.

FabFilter may release many of those Auria Pro FX as AUv3 products so that might be another reason to pass on Auria Pro if you're looking for the long view.

• @wigglelights said:

@cyberheater said:

There have been dozens of discussions here one the stregths and weaknesses of of each app, and many users prefer one over the other based on their workflow.
    And there are also a good number who find both useful! My take away is many find Cubasis’ interface to be very straight forward for recording, and that Auria’s strength is in mixing, and a number of folks here use both toward getting great sounding tracks.
    So buying Auria may not be as much of a replacement for Cubasis as much as a complimentary tool - it all depends on your workflow and skill sets.

Very sound post. I have both, admire both. Would be grateful to have either if I had neither.

If I look back over the past years I would have to say I have made more stuff I still like in Auria, and when I go cross country I take the Auria, but if I'm just nipping down the shops I will sometimes start up the Cubasis instead....

• Cubasis = easier for composing.
    Auria Pro = currently unmatched for mixdowns.

I imagine Nanostudio 2 (in conjunction with Pro-Q2 AU version) will give us the best of both worlds. We shall see.

• It's worth mentioning that the larger AUv3 products make both DAW's crash generally. Like iSymphonic, Colossus Pianos, sometimes RC275 Piano. The trick is to make 1 MIDI track and freeze the track in Cubasis. This trick won't work with Colussus biggest Grand. A royal pain... which pushed me to AUM to avoid most of the pain involved with RAM contention and crashing. Both DAW's use a lot of CPU compared to AUM.

I recently deleted Colossus to re-capture 25GB of storage on my iPad. It was a joy to play stand alone but I can live with Korg's new Steinway or RC275 for those moments.

Today I dropped $13.99 for StageLight to test it on OS X and IOS.
    Maybe I can use AU instruments as needed on OS X and also move the project to IOS for more work.

Leanring these apps and what they do is more than 1/2 of the fun.

• NS2 coming soon.

• @[Deleted User] : Any idea when?

• Apologies, but both! As others have said, Cubasis is great for composing, but for finishing tracks, Auria Pro is unparalleled.
    The audio editing on there is great and the Fab Filters work magic, I tell ya!

• edited November 2018

Auria Pro anytime. Why? Fabfilter plugins, the best of the best on the market. And of course, the 'bounce track in place' processing, which is a crazy production efficient algorithm.

• What about midi timing?
    I believe Cubasis is not so accurate in this department :o

• Stick with Cubasis, much easier composing and arranging, and with all the AUv3's (including FF Pro Q2) the fabfilters aren't quite as necessary as previously they were.
    Regular updates that bring new features, not just bug fixes.
    You are already used to it so there is no 'learning' a new app.

If you haven't got Pro Q2 AU yet then personally I'd recommend getting this instead of Auria.

• Is the video import an IAP or does it come with Auria Pro (and regular Auria)?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @[Deleted User] : Any idea when?

Dev aiming for December release.

• @Keenan said:
    Is the video import an IAP or does it come with Auria Pro (and regular Auria)?

It’s under add on in the Auria store. It’s $1.99 now on sale. Not sure about it though...never used it.

• edited November 2018

@AndyPlankton said:
    Stick with Cubasis, much easier composing and arranging, and with all the AUv3's (including FF Pro Q2) the fabfilters aren't quite as necessary as previously they were.
    Regular updates that bring new features, not just bug fixes.
    You are already used to it so there is no 'learning' a new app.

If you haven't got Pro Q2 AU yet then personally I'd recommend getting this instead of Auria

Nail/Head interface perfection for me too. I have both (started on Auria) but since getting into Cubasis I haven’t reinstalled Auria despite having a fair few of the much vaunted plug ins.

But I am a filthy casual musician who produces squat of value for public consumption so whaddaiknow?

I can see a place for both for someone who is serious about it though. Cubasis a great place to start if you’re not sure how far you want to take it ...

• @Mayo said:
    What about midi timing?

What about a touchscreen optimized interface? 😋

• The most frustrating issue with making digital music i believe is latency. If midi timing is important to you then I would research this aspect before making a choice.

• @Mayo said:
    What about midi timing?

Cubasis MIDI is a very low 48 PPQN (Pulses Per Quarter Note), Auria Pro is 960 PPQN.

• I've used both quite extensively and I found Cubasis much more stable and reliable platform even though it has limitations and its own bugs. I end up using Auria for some heavy processing of single wav files with plugins - Vintage Warmer, Pro-MB, Saturn etc. And then import it back to Cubasis. I wish all those plugins were available as AUs. But I have to say that I don't mix on iPad - I export everything into Cubase and finalize arrangement and do all the mixing/mastering there. If I needed to mix something exclusively on iPad I would import stems to Auria and mix there.

• @philowerx said:

@Mayo said:
    What about midi timing?

Cubasis MIDI is a very low 48 PPQN (Pulses Per Quarter Note), Auria Pro is 960 PPQN.

8 PPQN would be enough for the styles of music I make :p (seriously though, if your music is typically quantized, 48PPQN will never be a limitation).