Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

You know how Kosmonaut doesn't have a dry-wet control? I figured out a way around that!

One thing that has bugged me a bit is that Kos doesn't have a dry/wet control. Or even a wet-level control. I understand why because it's more than just a delay and some of the spacial stuff doesn't work well outside of an insert...

So in the course of building my controller setup around Noir, i ran out of mix buses in AUM, but I wanted each instance of Noir to have its own Kos...

The solution I came up with, which will prob. work for alot of other instances of FX apps and routing/signal flow issues, is to use this structure in AUM:

Bus G is the "output" (to master, bus, whatever)

I have a control mapped to bus G's output in both places, but one mapping is inverted (i.e. instead of 0-100, it's 100-0). So it's essentially a cross-fade setup.

This way Kos can sit on the track that it's working on, free up a send, and still function like a dry/wet or send/return...

This is one of those things that make iOS and especially AUM so cool. You can try/build audio routing so fast and iterate on ideas faster and cheaper than pretty much any other platform...

Comments

• Yes! AUM is as "true-mixer" like as exists today on iOS in large part due to the bussing. You can set up a delay, short and long reverb (etc.) on busses just like in a DAW to help save CPU and/or provide wet/dry control. I'd love to see Audiobus get... busses.

• Nice routing!!

• Excellent constellationing!

• "That's cool beans! (tm)" - Doug
    Brilliant.

• ah nice! thanks for sharing.

• Great to see more stuff like this that really shows off how creative and complex your routing can be.

• edited November 2018

Yeaup. I'm seeing a pattern where i grow frustrated with different DAWS and keep coming back to AUM. The only thing i find myself wishing for is the ability to MIDI map to tempo.

• Nice setup!.
    But how about using Kosmonaut in an Fx bus?. Typical 100% wet scenario... Is there a way to not have the original signal come through?.

• @tahiche said:
    Nice setup!.
    But how about using Kosmonaut in an Fx bus?. Typical 100% wet scenario...

Is there a way to not have the original signal come through?.

There is a way.

Create three channels in AUM.

The first channel has the sound you need to add effects to.

The second channel has the effect that has no wet/dry mix

The third channel was an invert phase added to it.

Channels two and three have the identical audio sent
    from channel one via bus A or a bus of your choosing.

For it to work properly adjust the send effect only from
    the bus send, in this instance Bus A or adjust the levels
    of Kosmonaut and the phased channel accordingly.

Both the Kosmonaut channel and the inverted
    channel must be at the exact levels for this to work.

In this screenshot I've only got the outputs of
    channel two and three switched on so that
    I can hear only the wet/dry effect.