Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BEST GROOVEBOX or DRUM MACHINE: $500-$1000

13»

Comments

• @kobamoto said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    @kobamoto congrats mate. It seems finally MPC Live is being the promised tool.
    Autosampler is awesome from standalone hardware. <3

yeah man, I was quite harsh on the mpc live when it first came out but it's definitely getting there, the stuff it has now + what they've already committed to implementing means it's a classic in the making, and resampling the digitakt and vice-versa has been pretty much beat machine heaven for me

It’s great they are still updating the line instead drop it in the wild and forget (usual nurkai way) so it seems they are working hard to recover the legend.

• @ToMess said:

Yes big uh oh indeed! So happy about the update. Played around with the synths a bit and they were able to convince me. And the autosampler i have been wishing for a long time as well, not the mention that the old school mpc menu + pad menu navigation!

yes, the autosampler freaking major on a stand alone beatmachine, sam cooks voice, etta James , Eartha kitt.... synths all quick and easy

• @Dubbylabby said:

@kobamoto said:

@Dubbylabby said:

yeah man, I was quite harsh on the mpc live when it first came out but it's definitely getting there, the stuff it has now + what they've already committed to implementing means it's a classic in the making, and resampling the digitakt and vice-versa has been pretty much beat machine heaven for me

It’s great they are still updating the line instead drop it in the wild and forget (usual nurkai way) so it seems they are working hard to recover the legend.

crazy part is that they've committed to a lot more updates than what they've already done. some people are already satisfied but for me after this I can't wait for a good side chain, the multitimbrality, for the clip mode revamping, and sample start/end automation,
    but they've got more than that on the way... crazy is an understatement

• I like what maschine can do, but because of what it can't do I sold mine with no regrets. This competition is very good though and might make native instruments come back to the table with something substantial and that would be great

• edited November 2018

@kobamoto said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@kobamoto said:

@Dubbylabby said:

crazy part is that they've committed to a lot more updates than what they've already done. some people are already satisfied but for me after this I can't wait for a good side chain, the multitimbrality, for the clip mode revamping, and sample start/end automation,
    but they've got more than that on the way... crazy is an understatement

Maybe they see it more as instrument than DAW. Btw NS2 should be around the corner too...

• how could I forget they already committed to disk streaming!!!, that's gonna be nuts cause everybody's got an ssd inside.........

NS2 and Loopy Masterpiece... white whales, myths, true legends..... these are good times

• I'm going to spend the week end sampling keyscape, my eyes are getting teary

• Dang, mpc live gets sexier every update. Still too big for me I think, I’m more interested in the OP-Z with them step components

• it is too big, even though it's still quite portable but there is no reason why it couldn't be the size of the akai mpx

• Yeah with stand-alones I’m looking for a size I can toss in my bag with laptop and interface and such.

• @kobamoto said:

@noodldoodl said:
    I've bought and sold the Digitakt, had some good times during ownership, but just snagged a 2nd hand mk1 Octatrack off ebay 2 days ago and had more fun in those 48hrs than I've had with any other piece of hardware, including OP1, Push 1 and 2, several Volcas and the aforementioned Digitakt. So I vote Octatrack, all the way.

Oh, and that's before I've introduced it to my ipad and the myriad apps I intend feeding to it!

good person to ask, I've never owned an octa which has better sound your octa or the digi you had, I've heard many people say the digitakt even sounds better than the octa mk2 and I'm a little interested in it but why would elektron not put the best sound into their flagship?

Difficult to say for sure for two reasons.

1. I can’t make a side-by-side comparison, so scientifically I’m hamstrung, but IIRC the reverb on the Digitakt seemed better than that of the Octatrack...HOWEVER...I’m still in the very early days with the Octa and find that if I inadvertently layer effects then I’m not getting a true representation of that effect on its own. My early judgement, therefore, isn’t worth trusting due to my lack of experience.

2. I’m not an audiophile; I am of the opinion that subtle differences of (ultimately subjective) quality aren’t worth worrying about and that we will end up colouring the final output anyway, either with effects or a final mastering stage in a DAW of choice. Yes, you have to start with the best possible sound to then hope to have a great finished mix, but the Digitakt and the Octatrack are both more than capable of sounding really good, when used correctly, ie skilful use of effects, track volume mix/balance and, importantly, sample choice.

The reason that I like the Octatrack much much more than the Digitakt is that it could be a box I’ll never fully figure out, but I’ll have a lot of satisfying days and nights trying to do so. Whereas the Digitakt, even though we had fun together, seemed shallower and lacked features, such as the scenes crossfader on the Octatrack, which is just a lever into another sonic dimension. Honestly, I can’t state this enough, it’s like hyperspacing away from the surface of one sound towards somewhere you’re not really too sure about. Then you can load another scene onto the opposite end of the hyperspace lever and repeat the process, until you’re so far away from the original sound, but in a creative and thoroughly satisfying way to render the journey worthwhile. And this is only one of the Octatrack’s many tricks. I never had this much fun ever with the Digitakt.

And, like I said, when I start sampling from my iPad then God only knows where this will lead to.

Best of luck in your search, but you would definitely enjoy the Octatrack. If you got one and ultimately thought it too much effort and not the instant gratification you may be looking for then their resale value is good, anyway. You could move it on and get something else and not lose too much on the deal.

Lastly, do not be put off by those who say it’s too complex and frustrating, or it sounds poor compared to ‘X’...because it’s not, it’s worth the investment of time and sounds fantastic, at least to me. It’s better than I could ever have imagined.

• I think it's one of those instruments that you just have to try for yourself/myself, thank you for your insight noodldoodl, I keep trying to get out of it :)

• do the kids still say 'dope'

• Mpclive all the way!

• The virtual bass instrument is badass on it

• @ToMess said:

@kobamoto said:
    uh oh!........

Yes big uh oh indeed! So happy about the update. Played around with the synths a bit and they were able to convince me. And the autosampler i have been wishing for a long time as well, not the mention that the old school mpc menu + pad menu navigation!

Which model MPC is this available on?

Thanks

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ToMess said:

@kobamoto said:
    uh oh!........

Thanks

MPC Live is the cheapest model, there is also MPC x, MPC Live is in your 'poly synth' price range..

• @AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ToMess said:

@kobamoto said:
    uh oh!........

Thanks

MPC Live is the cheapest model, there is also MPC x, MPC Live is in your 'poly synth' price range..

There is an update to mpc software as well, which mpc touch uses. Its near identical to live, but is just a controller, not standalone box

• @ToMess said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ToMess said:

@kobamoto said:
    uh oh!........

Thanks

There is an update to mpc software as well, which mpc touch uses. Its near identical to live, but is just a controller, not standalone box

This is very true !