Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Interesting News From Apple

Well, I found this a bit disturbing, but when I thought about it, unfortunately In keeping with the new normal.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/02/tech/apple-iphone-metrics-problem/index.html

Comments

• They’re definitely aligning less and less with my mobile needs. I only really use my phone for calls, maps, texts, emails and the occasional Yelp search. I can do that from any phone. My iPad Pro is only used for music and for the music part as much as I’d love to create big, complex chains of Instruments, effects and midi, I find myself focusing on much simpler setup of consistent tools in Auria. I think I’m going to push my current iPad Pro to its limit. Might get another few years out of it before I have to make a decision.

• so many ipads and iphones in the world now, will never be a problem to pick a cheapo secondhand replacement up. Windows PC's will be fully mobile with great touch screens and without cooling fans in 5 years time. Ableton live and VST's on the go :-)

• They should just focus on improving their content delivery. The App Store, itunes music and movie store and streaming music service has been overshadowed by Google Amazon Spotify and Netflix etc.

• The article didn’t disturb me. It doesn’t seem strange that a company would focus on trying to get their investors to focus on the bottom line rather than just how much of a certain hardware product they sell. Markets get saturated and competitors can eat into their market share. All tech companies have to be creative about how they market to would be consumers as people are no longer so easily persuaded by the latest and greatest in technology especially when it starts to mature and plateau. The capabilities between different generations of a technology become not so radically different. At this point the challenge becomes how can they continue to attract new purchases?

We’ve seen this cycle with PCs where the initial focus was on the specs of the hardware and later shifted to the capabilities and functionality of the software.

If we are now going through a period where Apple is focusing more on software functionality, then Apple should also be attempting to provide better support for developers too. If people don’t perceive the benefit of the newer more expensive iPhones and iPads they already have, they’ll continue to use the ones they have especially when cell phone companies no longer subsidize phone purchases through contracts.

As to whether or not Apple is up for the challenge remains to be seen.

• edited November 2018

I know I’m only repeating a thought I think most people here agree about, but: Apple should stop diluting the originally beautiful elegance of their products, which they do by introducing ridiculous blemishes like the notch and whatever that new thing about some emojis or something was... and just stick to keeping things beautiful, elegant, and above all, professional. I don’t care for or want live photos or other useless stuff like that. I just want the elegance, functionality, and power. If the decision-makers there are too clueless to see that that’s where Apple’s appeal lies, and if they neglect that and waste their resources on nonsense like the above-mentioned things, no wonder profits plummet.

• @Simo said:
    I know I’m only repeating a thought I think most people here agree about, but: Apple should stop diluting the originally beautiful elegance of their products, which they do by introducing ridiculous blemishes like the notch and whatever that new thing about some emojis or something was... and just stick to keeping things beautiful, elegant, and above all, professional. I don’t care for or want live photos or other useless stuff like that. I just want the elegance, functionality, and power. If the decision-makers there are too clueless to see that that’s where Apple’s appeal lies, and if they neglect that and waste their resources on nonsense like the above-mentioned things, no wonder profits plummet.

While the features you mention may not be what we want, I’m sure Apple does a lot of market research to try and figure out how they can maximize their profits as part of their product development. I have no significant insights into these issues though it does seem like it would be a challenge where my own parochial interests would be a hindrance.

• This is the slow slow almost unnoticeable circular motion......

Oh......like physics?

No, like circle the drain.

Let me understand.

The benchmark used by 99% analysts and markets now should be ignored.

And as for the person who made the PC analogy.....I see your angle.

Unfortunately, Apple keeps all technical aspects top secret

Apples time is over.

They have ceased to innovate in years.

They are left nickel and dining people on dongles and buying their Beats wireless headphones or Roli WiFi controllers.

Apple is so unique

No other company has so many customers who really don’t like the actual company

Fascinating

• If I could do on Android what I can do with iOS (musically, and otherwise), I would eventually consider switching. I am rather invested in software on the platform at this point, but it'd at least be nice to have a Plan B as Apple slowly, but surely, does that circling.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    This is the slow slow almost unnoticeable circular motion......

Oh......like physics?

Let me understand.

Apples time is over.

They are left nickel and dining people on dongles and buying their Beats wireless headphones or Roli WiFi controllers.

Apple is so unique

Fascinating

Micro$oft used to, still do, only maybe less of.

• @RUST( i )K said:

Oh......like physics?

Let me understand.

Apples time is over.

Apple is so unique

Fascinating

Historically Apple has always taken a proprietary approach to their products and try not to compete with other products which are more commodity based. As part of their strategy, they tend to focus on highlighting the user experience rather than hardware specs plus they charge a premium. Given these circumstances you would expect people to have higher expectations for their Apple purchases than other commodity based purchases.

Given this high bar Apple has set for themselves, it remains to be seen how long they can sustain their efforts. Reports of Apple’s demise have been an ongoing topic of discussion for decades and at one point they would have gone under if investors and Steve Jobs didn’t pull them from the brink. Without a doubt, many big tech companies have come and gone over the decades so nobody can be justified in asserting Apple will be immune from these trends either.

It does seem premature to me to pronounce them done for already. The public has a fondness for trying to bring down and complain about those who are at the top which is perhaps a close cousin to rubber necking. Media companies certainly try to maximize their audience/revenues by capitalizing on our attraction to impending disasters and other drama.

• @InfoCheck said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Oh......like physics?

Let me understand.

Apples time is over.

Apple is so unique

Fascinating

Historically Apple has always taken a proprietary approach to their products and try not to compete with other products which are more commodity based. As part of their strategy, they tend to focus on highlighting the user experience rather than hardware specs plus they charge a premium. Given these circumstances you would expect people to have higher expectations for their Apple purchases than other commodity based purchases.

Given this high bar Apple has set for themselves, it remains to be seen how long they can sustain their efforts. Reports of Apple’s demise have been an ongoing topic of discussion for decades and at one point they would have gone under if investors and Steve Jobs didn’t pull them from the brink. Without a doubt, many big tech companies have come and gone over the decades so nobody can be justified in asserting Apple will be immune from these trends either.

It does seem premature to me to pronounce them done for already. The public has a fondness for trying to bring down and complain about those who are at the top which is perhaps a close cousin to rubber necking. Media companies certainly try to maximize their audience/revenues by capitalizing on our attraction to impending disasters and other drama.

Only thing is every year, everyone expects them to deliver, this trend they set themselves, technology cannot keep exponentially increasing in power forever, so problems for all tech innovations may await in the future.

• Failing company sells 47 million expensive devices in 3 months, predicts record revenue for following quarter. News at 7.

• @knewspeak said:

@InfoCheck said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Oh......like physics?

Let me understand.

Apples time is over.

Apple is so unique

Fascinating

Only thing is every year, everyone expects them to deliver, this trend they set themselves, technology cannot keep exponentially increasing in power forever, so problems for all tech innovations may await in the future.

An investment strategy to overcome these technology based bubbles is to diversify their products rather than put all of their eggs in one basket. Apple has attempted to become more of a content and service provider to buffer the uncertainty and expections associated with being an exclusively technology based company. In the article referenced by the OP, Apple tries to make this point that their future isn’t reliant upon how many phones they sell every month.

• 47M units is 0% growth YOY though.

When you've been pushing multi-digit growth for over a decade, yeah, Wall Street, as f'd up as they are, are going to notice when you can't push as many units as you used to.

@RUST( i )K said:

Apples time is over.

Fascinating

It really is, isn't it?

I just bought my last Apple tablet unless they significantly change course. Couldn't care less about bezel-less screens. I care about the ability to create. And part of that workflow is, yep, with a headphone jack.

I bought my last Apple phone, a 6S, late last year, unless they significantly change course. Couldn't care less about "Liquid Retina" or OLED or waterproofing, I care about the ability to take and make phone calls and listen to music. And part of that is, yep, with a headphone jack.

Many of you have bought into the hype on their Airpods and bluetooth/wireless headphones and dongles and what not. I just won't anymore. USB-C might be better, but I have enough dongles in my bag. $1800 for a 13" tablet is just silly. Just absolutely bonkers silly and there's no justification for it. That they have to hike prices because they're not moving product shows you how limp their game is. If they were innovating, and giving people what they wanted, instead of forcing people to live in Dongletown, just to have the same functionality they had the previous week, they wouldn't have to hide their sales numbers.

I worked previously for a company that was once king of the smartphone world. They had a huge amount of market share, and a huge amount of hubris to go with it. They were called Nokia. Back then, Apple was the up-and-comer with the iPhone. I guess it's Apple's turn now.

• @alteredmoods I completely agree. I can’t even listen to Spotify today on my iPhone because I left the dongle at home. Most days I leave it plugged into my phone like some kind of weird rat tail, all because Apple decided to be courageous. I’ve had 10 months to get used to it and I still get angry every time I have to go track down a dongle.

• @realdawei said:
    Failing company sells 47 million expensive devices in 3 months, predicts record revenue for following quarter. News at 7.

Lol, perspective, folks.

• So the phone market is basically saturated and their profits will decline somewhat?

Yawn.

Unless you're an investor - then you have to decide on how to factor a decline in core sales vs. your trust in Cook and co. to come up with comparable profits elsewhere or increase profit margins without driving your customers away.

• Classic case of playing around with statistics and manipulating the market.

I would not be surprised if the next generation of iPhones start at $1500. I mean it's more profit to sell one already over-priced unit for $1500 than 3 for $500 and when the profits go up the unit-count becomes secondary...

• 47M units with improved profit per device is growth on the spreadsheet. Apple is changing their profit margins on these devices for the next phase of financial stability.

They are also working on car technology so that might open new revenue streams.

It's always been fun to hate Apple for being greedy but they just don't compete on price like Dell.

StageLight might show us the exit... it runs on anything you can find at Best Buy or in Amazon. It effectively costs $9 after discounts on IOS and $14 for Mac OS which gets you another discount to make IOS free (I think that's right.) Of course it doesn't have IAA or AB3 but only AUv3 and probably a million bugs but "EXIT" is there.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio has a similar boast if you like to support the small developer trying to participate here. If you think Apple has created a great OS for audio just try any other platforms. "Walled Gardens" like the big desktop DAW's help.

I still love my iPad and consider this my most productive musical phase on any platform. Thanks Apple... you still suck but in a good way too.

• edited November 2018

@infocheck, thanks for your comments, and glad to see you!
    As to the other posters, I am sorry, but I think you all have missed the point and gone on to talking about what you don't like about Apple's strategy, By all means, go for it, but it is not what the CNN article is about, IMO, and why I posted it. Some may know I am a pretty staunch Apple supporter. Grateful for the ability to make iOS music on a pretty stable platform and work around the price by buying used devices.

So to explain more specifically what I found disturbing ( or at least until I matched it with the Orwellian trend we are experiencing almost 25 years after 1984) there are (at least)two things that depress me about the state of our world and Apple's part in it.

1/Tim Cook's lame and specious analogy about customers at a checkout asking how many boxes of soap they have in the back room. I mean, he is supposed to be an intelligent guy. Could he have spent five minutes to come up with an appropriate analogy?
    Or, perhaps more disturbing, that it doesn't matter to him or many others ( too many) these days if things make sense or not. That any statement regarding truth does not have to be backed by facts, even if it is just the logic of an analogy. The deconstruction of truth seems to be popular with those at the highest levels. So much so that side by side videos of the same personage show that entity saying "oh yeah, really great guy" and then some time later, "who? I never met him!" The really disturbing part is that so many do not give a shit if a person out and out lies, as Tim Cook is doing by obfuscating the truth about Apple's motives with an analogy that can only make one say "huh? What did he just say?" Or "yeah, yeah, right on, now make us some more dough!"

2/Any retreat from transparency in favor of the bottom line is also more and more disturbing ( oh yeah, I forgot. Everyone is doing it. So de rigeur!). Anyone truly interested can find out the figures for Apple's device sales... At least till now. But it is as if investors are saying we don't give a shit if you're selling Apple technology to N. Korea. Just show us the money! Hmmm, where did all those little pieces of gold and old glasses come from? Don't matter, bro, it's gonna make us rich ( and powerful!).
    Now there's an analogy!!

And it sounds extreme, doesn't it? Well the truth doesn't just go away all at once. It is subtly ( or in the 21st century not so subtly) chiseled and manipulated away, bit by bit. So that you don't even know it is slipping away ( because it requires thought, observation and conscience to know, an effort a lot of us seem to find distracting and irrelevant these days ). And once gone so very hard to get back,

I certainly am not pointing a finger at anybody here. I am just holding up this latest spin by Apple to be ( perhaps) part and parcel of today's state of mind. I leave you with this: That famous upholder of honesty, Goebbels, said: Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth ( I think he said it, hard to know the truth, but it is a good line).

I hope my thoughts will not lead to any controversy ( I promised @Michael! I wouldn't do that anymore. Close it down, Mike!) I hope we can just all agree that the definition and value of truth seems worth holding on to and has eroded of late at a more rapid pace, replaced by redirection and bombast ( and gas lighting, naturally). Of course you can say my analysis re Apple is off the wall and hyperbolic. And, of course, you would be right ( maybe).

• edited November 2018

If I owned Apple stock, maybe I'd be more concerned about this news. Even as a stockholder, I don't think I'd be selling. As just an iOS user, I feel no alarm.

Many seem to always judge Apple from their own perspective, but the giant could potentially lose every customer here and continue to grow. They're not the company they were years ago, but if that's vital to someone, they should have known to get out long before today.

I think my iPad Pro is going to serve me well for many years, but then I'm not focused on what might be the next big innovation. If I couldn't make music with what's available today, I wouldn't be making it with anything coming. It wouldn't surprise me if years from now, if I'm still alive, Apple is making devices I'll buy, however, if they've gone into just selling more mundane consumer items and various services, good for them. Wherever the wind blows.

• I feel less and less Apple supporter lately. They are playing the card iDevices will be the future computers (and probably iOS 13 should be the meltOS) so let’s put prices at same level (or higher since the iDevices are smaller, smarter, low energy consumption..) and let’s get ready people to do that jump.

No.

They were marketing pro and post-pc since day one but had messed the whole ecosystem since Steve left. Not huge Steve fan per se but I can understand why those are. Not coherence between iDevices lines, half backed iOS, minor changes in macOS...

One thing is to solder components to make the gadget waterproof and other do it on mac minis. Even from termal side seems exhageration IMHO.

So, yes, stagelight, mobmuplat and standalone hardware are the doors to future (even using old apple devices). I can’t expent a grand on crippled computer but I don’t need it neither.

• Not going to happen. Most Macheads are just too deep in the eco systeem especially in the USA. From iMessage to iPhone to Macbook. The rest of the world is another story. I myself use what I need at the most cheapest price. See myself moving slowly away from iPad and iPhone for making music, last few years they became more and more sketch tools. Won't upgrade my iPad and iPhone in the near future. My next notebook will probably Windows. The 2nd hand market of Macbooks is far too overrated for what you get. Besides that most fun and free VSTs are Windows only. Almost all pro plugins are cross platform. Can't name one plugin that is Mac only that I would wish to use or drawing me back to the mac platform. But if we talking Apple and touch the rule in every aspect compared to Android. Somehow it's a pity Windows Phone didn't make i. It had so much more potential than Android with its latentcy problems for musicians.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Apple is so unique

Fascinating

Love that quote bro, so true...

• Well, I don’t have any expectations on Apple or any other mega corporation to be anything more than bottom-line oriented. Truth has always been a rare commodity in big business. Do I think they are evil? No. Do I think they are marvelous folk because of how they have presented themselves in advertising? No. Is this new corporate behavior? I surely don’t think so.

Apple is so big that they have shown that they can pretty much do what they wish and will be rewarded for it. The market has spoken. Wall Street may question this unit “strategy” but I reckon they’ll adopt it as the new standard of reporting for the industry.

Do they make great products? Yes, I think they do. I will move along once they stop doing so. No company is going to break my heart.

• Predictable that the news about disclosing unit sales here becomes another thread to complain about headphone jacks. :)

I don't see this as Apple telling lies. I don't think a law exists that forces them to release these statistics that they believe hurt the perception of how well they're doing, but if those numbers are actually vital to investors, then they're free to disinvest. I don't understand the analogy to the actual lies we see tweeted daily by our so-called leader(s).

• @lovadamusic , I do tend to get carried away sometimes!

• @InfoCheck said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Oh......like physics?

Let me understand.

Apples time is over.

Apple is so unique

Fascinating

That is a phenom analysis

Well put.

• @LinearLineman no doubt there’s a lot of creative narration that goes into how companies explain and justify their actions to both investors and consumers which can often rub many of us the wrong way. >:)

• edited November 2018

Humans: “Hey Apple, make your devices last longer, stop forcing me to upgrade! Don’t slow down my device you greedy bastards!”

Apple: Ok, iOS 12

Humans: “Hey Apple Nya Nya I’m keeping my old device because it’s still works. It’s all I need. Nya Nya you’re not selling any more new one’s now! Tricked Ya! Nya Nya!