Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

YouTube Audio - My mastered track

edited November 2018 in Creations

Are there any experts on getting the best quality of audio on an upload to YouTube?

I’ve been mastering my bands new EP and the audio has been fine, but I’ve been doing tests on YouTube uploads and to say it’s been problematic is an understatement!

My first attempts, had the audio squished to hell. It was also making quiet bits too loud and loud bits too quiet.

I think I’ve managed a happy medium, by taking my mastered track and compressing it so that it had less difference in loudness between verses and choruses.

Here’s my test:
It only has a test picture until we’ve got the audio right for the video!

It was uploaded at 1080 for video and 44.1hz for audio.

Has anyone had similar difficulties?
Are there any top tips for getting YouTube audio right?
Is it common practice to have a different audio for pure audio releases and for YouTube releases?

Comments

• Master it to -14LUFS is the best advice I can give for the greatest compatibility. Here's more info on why from an article I was asked to write for Warp Academy:

https://www.warpacademy.com/current-trends-in-mastering/

• edited November 2018

@Tarekith said:
    Master it to -14LUFS is the best advice I can give for the greatest compatibility. Here's more info on why from an article I was asked to write for Warp Academy:

https://www.warpacademy.com/current-trends-in-mastering/

My eternal gratitude @Tarekith
    You’re an awesome contributor to this forum and I hope to use your services at some point! I’ve had good recommendations for your mastering.
    I did exactly as you said regarding the -14LUFS, as I guessed that this was the current broadcasting level.
    It seems such a shame that most people take their 1st impressions from YouTube, when the audio is so poor on there. The modern world I guess!

• Imho it's not YT audio quality to blame, but HOW the track was mixed.
    From 0.30 to 1.00 it works during the verse, but as the whole band sets in all is squashed to pieces.
    The gain staging is completely messed - or rather ignored.
    Without details about the process it's hard to tell what exactly caused the trouble, but it sounds like single sources were way too hot when mixed after the (rather quiet) verse.
    You probably wanted some crunch, but not that amount of pure trash - it's an arrangement thing, not a technical limitation of media.

• @Telefunky said:
    Imho it's not YT audio quality to blame, but HOW the track was mixed.
    From 0.30 to 1.00 it works during the verse, but as the whole band sets in all is squashed to pieces.
    The gain staging is completely messed - or rather ignored.
    Without details about the process it's hard to tell what exactly caused the trouble, but it sounds like single sources were way too hot when mixed after the (rather quiet) verse.
    You probably wanted some crunch, but not that amount of pure trash - it's an arrangement thing, not a technical limitation of media.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. My problem with YouTube, is that the mix and master sounds absolutely fine through other services. Bandcamp, Soundcloud, AudioShare, Dropbox, are all absolutely fine.
    But I took the same audio for upload to YouTube and it just messed it up!

• It would be easier to post a link of the track in other service to hear the difference.
    If you want more detail post link of the track in flac format (if possible)

• @Korakios said:
    It would be easier to post a link of the track in other service to hear the difference.
    If you want more detail post link of the track in flac format (if possible)

Yeah, I know what you mean.
    I’m not allowed to spread the FLAC, MP3 or .WAV version yet!
    I am basically looking for technical help on the audio of YouTube and what others do to make the audio work.

• Can you post links for the other services?

• @tja said:
    Can you post links for the other services?

It isn’t being released until December 7th, but we have tested it and all is well.
    I’ll see if I can find another way to upload the pure audio without putting it on a streaming service!

• I’ll also have to take down the test soon too.
    In all seriousness, does nobody encounter problems with YouTube?

• @DefRobot try converting your track to :

AAC-LC 384kbps 48Khz
    Merge it into MP4 video

And reupload the video as HD 1080p

I suggest this ,because it’s the codec YouTube uses to avoid retrancoding .

To be honest I never tried it, but in the past , I always made specific Masterings for the low bit rate years .... Now things must have changed and have no idea how the YouTube transcoding behaves ....

• @Korakios said:
    @DefRobot try converting your track to :

AAC-LC 384kbps 48Khz
    Merge it into MP4 video

And reupload the video as HD 1080p

I suggest this ,because it’s the codec YouTube uses to avoid retrancoding .

To be honest I never tried it, but in the past , I always made specific Masterings for the low bit rate years .... Now things must have changed and have no idea how the YouTube transcoding behaves ....

Thanks! I’ll try all sorts before the video release!

• Thanks for advice on upload qualities and formats everyone!
    I’ve done a new test (above) and it’s playing much better, I hope!