Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BopPad streambyter template project

2»

Comments

• It looks like there is no easy way through this, with many values being fired up simultaneously. I'm definitely having quneo flashbacks ;)

• I’ve just tried stroke machine with turnado doing the CCs. Holy Cow!

• Sorry to be polluting this thread with my puppy posts @lukesleepwalker but have you tried to limit cc transmission only to a portion of the quadrant? It would be nice to say have a clean sound towards the centre and Turnado kick in when approaching the crust.

• edited November 2018

@supadom short answer: no. You might look at the user tables to see if you can apply a CC value of zero across a wider piece of the pizza. Given the way Turnado works, not sure it'll give you clean the way you are describing. I think Streambyter could do the CC remapping pretty easily though.

Couple of other fun things to try when you get a chance: turn pitch bend on and load a talking drum type of sound that responds to pitch bend. Also try adding a CC that responds to velocity and map that to an effects bus fader in AUM. That way as you play harder it cranks up the effect. And actually, the effects bus fader technique could be a simple way to get variable amounts of Turnado.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @supadom short answer: no. You might look at the user tables to see if you can apply a CC value of zero across a wider piece of the pizza. Given the way Turnado works, not sure it'll give you clean the way you are describing. I think Streambyter could do the CC remapping pretty easily though.

Couple of other fun things to try when you get a chance: turn pitch bend on and load a talking drum type of sound that responds to pitch bend. Also try adding a CC that responds to velocity and map that to an effects bus fader in AUM. That way as you play harder it cranks up the effect. And actually, the effects bus fader technique could be a simple way to get variable amounts of Turnado.

Great points sir. I’m especially looking forward to the pitch bend trick. As for bus fader technique it can also be done by midi learning of the wet dry slider or have individual effects wet and dry reacting differently within each effect setting. So many possibilities...yet sooo time consuming and intimidating/confusing. One would ideally want 4 instances of ruismaker going into 4 instances of Turnado so each quadrant is on a different effect. I’m a bit scared of such complex setups live, especially because my iPad is doing a lot of lifting as is.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Great points sir. I’m especially looking forward to the pitch bend trick. As for bus fader technique it can also be done by midi learning of the wet dry slider or have individual effects wet and dry reacting differently within each effect setting. So many possibilities...yet sooo time consuming and intimidating/confusing. One would ideally want 4 instances of ruismaker going into 4 instances of Turnado so each quadrant is on a different effect. I’m a bit scared of such complex setups live, especially because my iPad is doing a lot of lifting as is.

I hear you about the complexity and I've retreated to a very simple setup for live use as I want to be thinking about the song and the performance--and not whether I've got my iPad working correctly. So I do all the complex work at home and keep it simple live, making more and more use of the Audiolayer sampler to "print" the complex stuff and randomize/round robin to create variability.

• edited November 2018

Hey all you BopPad owners. I have an issue which I think might be a bop pad hardware problem.

I’ve been getting missing notes when hitting two quadrants at the same time.

Initially I thought it was me mishitting the quadrant but after further testing with several programs including Logic it is definitely happening here. I’m just trying to determine whether it is just mine or also others and possibly whether there are differences between different runs of the product.

@lukesleepwalker @Daveypoo @ImortalTrashcan

Can you guys try to hit two quadrants in unison at least 25-30 times and see if they both trigger? It is probably best done with dull kick and another sharper sound.

My last test was with logic and I actually recorded it. Here’s the results:

2 notes missing out of 60 is not a great statistic for a percussive instrument.

• @supadom I'm glad you raised this, because I was noting some dropped notes with my BopPad over the weekend. I assumed that the issue was with my sampler app--I kept fiddling with the zone settings, figuring that I had messed up the envelope or something. But now I'm wondering, because I never did figure out where the intermittent dropped notes were coming from. Let me do the experiment you suggested when I get home later and report back.

• @supadom I have noticed it in the past. I don’t use my bop pad as much these days. I’ve always chalked it up to a density or sensitivity setting I wasn’t setting right. I’m not a trained drummer in any sense so I don’t know what “to my liking” is with all that.

I saw this video before I purchased the bop pad so when it wouldn’t trigger a note I always thought it was a me issue. But after re watching the video and seeing other thumbnails I’m starting to think they demoed a high quality prototype than what they sold. That’s just my conspirtorial side shining through haha.

• The only time I get the occasional missed note is when I do flams, so I just have to make them a bit more deliberate. I always just chalked it up to the inconsistency of electronics, myself.

I dunno, though - it COULD be the Illuminati....... ;)

• @lukesleepwalker @Daveypoo @ImortalTrashcan I think it is very plausible that they simply put out a defective product and are getting away with it because of its complexity. In that Buzz Roll video they use it in unison mode so it wouldn't apply.

I still like it and likely will keep it because I love the form factor and that lost note here and there isn't a deal breaker for me personally. I'd be seriously pissed of if I had paid more for it. At this price point can probably live with it.

However I've also noticed that when playing stroke machine I'd get random notes playing at full volume. I wrote to SM dev who's replied that it is more than likely pad's fault. I haven't had this with other software than SM so again, not a deal breaker and most definitely beyond my brain power to resolve.

• Yeah wish mine looked like that, looks much better edges on the build :)
    Plus mine has the annoying Orange blobs which became more noticeable over time.

• I know I'm more enthusiastic than most, but the way I look at the BopPad is this:

It's far from perfect

But it does allow me (with minimal difficulty) to play drums with sticks on my iPad for $200. It's nearly indestructible, has no moving parts and is powered by the iPad. It gives me everything I want so seriously no complaints here.

I just worked on a track last night and was playing in drum fills over a programmed Rozeta beat. Fantastic! And it sounds even BETTER with DrumPerfect Pro.

Now if I can only suss out hihat and kick pedals on the cheap..... ;)

• edited November 2018

@Daveypoo said:
    I know I'm more enthusiastic than most, but the way I look at the BopPad is this:

It's far from perfect

But it does allow me (with minimal difficulty) to play drums with sticks on my iPad for $200. It's nearly indestructible, has no moving parts and is powered by the iPad. It gives me everything I want so seriously no complaints here.

I just worked on a track last night and was playing in drum fills over a programmed Rozeta beat. Fantastic! And it sounds even BETTER with DrumPerfect Pro.

Agree with this. And I've been jamming in a live crew for a while and the drummer has NEVER commented about dropped notes. Not a single time. In fact, he has said that he finds the feel and performance to be exceptionally good. For less than $200 in this form factor? I have zero regrets.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Daveypoo said:
    I know I'm more enthusiastic than most, but the way I look at the BopPad is this:

It's far from perfect

Agree with this. And I've been jamming in a live crew for a while and the drummer has NEVER commented about dropped notes. Not a single time. In fact, he has said that he finds the feel and performance to be exceptionally good. For less than $200 in this form factor? I have zero regrets.

Totally. Until I've sussed this one out I'd had many hours of bliss playing it. Love the bounce.

Actually elastic drums have a demo called chromatic pitch. You should both check it out.

• Actually, scrap that. It seems to be reading pitch assigned to velocity. Going through EDs demo programs can be vastly inspiring.

• @supadom said:
    Actually, scrap that. It seems to be reading pitch assigned to velocity. Going through EDs demo programs can be vastly inspiring.

Uh yeah, so assigned to velocity but still incredibly fun and expressive... I hadn't tried those presets but they are great. I like the physical modeling one too. Thanks for the tip.

• Hey @lukesleepwalker what did you program bopped to send to take advantage of the code Nic wrote for streambyter? I am thoroughly confused by it all.

Do I divide the range of 1 - 127 by 4 and assign each pad to their range? i.e. 1-32, 33-46 and so on? How does the note assigning go? Scales?

• @supadom said:
    Hey @lukesleepwalker what did you program bopped to send to take advantage of the code Nic wrote for streambyter? I am thoroughly confused by it all.

Do I divide the range of 1 - 127 by 4 and assign each pad to their range? i.e. 1-32, 33-46 and so on? How does the note assigning go? Scales?

The BP is set to send a single CC--i think it's CC7 across the radius from 1-127. I've been thinking about your idea though of limiting the CC value from 1-3 and then having SB convert to notes. Nic could knock that out right quick. I have a script that basically does this but with a wider CC value range. Probably easier to just have Nic write up the 1-3 range scenario.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:
    Hey @lukesleepwalker what did you program bopped to send to take advantage of the code Nic wrote for streambyter? I am thoroughly confused by it all.

The BP is set to send a single CC--i think it's CC7 across the radius from 1-127. I've been thinking about your idea though of limiting the CC value from 1-3 and then having SB convert to notes. Nic could knock that out right quick. I have a script that basically does this but with a wider CC value range. Probably easier to just have Nic write up the 1-3 range scenario.

yup, good idea. I've just tried CC7 on all but didn't feel like i was in control of the instruments, be it thumbjam or laplace. I had pressure assigned on one of the quadrants and that didn't help things it would rapidly trigger notes granular style. I did get some clean notes but many were stuck, seems like there's no 'note off' command.

Ok, let's see what Nic cooks up.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

yup, good idea. I've just tried CC7 on all but didn't feel like i was in control of the instruments, be it thumbjam or laplace. I had pressure assigned on one of the quadrants and that didn't help things it would rapidly trigger notes granular style. I did get some clean notes but many were stuck, seems like there's no 'note off' command.

Ok, let's see what Nic cooks up.

Are you only sending CC7--or do you have a note set for each quadrant too? You should put none in the note fields. Regardless, agree that the small value CC seems like a good experiment. I have found that the BP is cleaner with CC values than notes. I often get stuck notes when sending notes.

• Are you only sending CC7--or do you have a note set for each quadrant too? You should put none in the note fields. Regardless, agree that the small value CC seems like a good experiment. I have found that the BP is cleaner with CC values than notes. I often get stuck notes when sending notes.

The note field is greyed out

• @supadom you might also check out the Senode thread for some interesting approaches for using BP. Be sure to watch the video toward the end of the thread and imagine triggering the emitters with BP. I only use Senode as a MIDI filter, not the onboard synth.

• Ah ok, I've just used 'clear quadrant to clear the notes for each slice. I'll give it a go.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @supadom you might also check out the Senode thread for some interesting approaches for using BP. Be sure to watch the video toward the end of the thread and imagine triggering the emitters with BP. I only use Senode as a MIDI filter, not the onboard synth.

Haha, yeah, I’ve watched that video. It just shows how rich is iOS scene and how one can be running around like an excited puppy running between apps and not getting much done. I’m off to dust off my mpk mini ;)

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @supadom you might also check out the Senode thread for some interesting approaches for using BP. Be sure to watch the video toward the end of the thread and imagine triggering the emitters with BP. I only use Senode as a MIDI filter, not the onboard synth.

Haha, yeah, I’ve watched that video. It just shows how rich is iOS scene and how one can be running around like an excited puppy running between apps and not getting much done. I’m off to dust off my mpk mini ;)

No doubt. I've been good about picking my battles recently. Happier with the live setup than I've been in a long time, mostly because I've been disciplined about staying on goal.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

No doubt. I've been good about picking my battles recently. Happier with the live setup than I've been in a long time, mostly because I've been disciplined about staying on goal.

Ninja focus just like with all things in life. Glad I'm beta testing Senode (2 days left) so I could get this one out of my system. Now back on Laplace. This thing is a very very good candidate for BopPad if we ever get a working scaling preset. It's the first time I've actually properly stopped to mess around with the controls on all modules. Quite impressive PM. Marsenne might have just gotten onto my shopping list.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Ninja focus just like with all things in life. Glad I'm beta testing Senode (2 days left) so I could get this one out of my system. Now back on Laplace. This thing is a very very good candidate for BopPad if we ever get a working scaling preset. It's the first time I've actually properly stopped to mess around with the controls on all modules. Quite impressive PM. Marsenne might have just gotten onto my shopping list.

I have both Mersenne and Laplace. Prefer Mersenne, especially with BP.

• edited November 2018

Have you tried the latest code from Nic. I’m not getting any sound.
    I’ve put all on CC7 with a range of 1-4 and have inserted notes 1, 2, 3, 4 to each quadrant. One thing I’m not sure I’m understanding whether this is blank and we should be adding notes ourselves or should it be playing as is?

Have you tried it at all?

Hi supadom & lukesleepwalker ,

So I gave this a little bit of thought and have reworked a new revision of the script for you to try out. This version does not try to scale, but uses a lookup table for all 128 CC values to determine which note should be sent. This will be more flexible in that you may not wish to use a continual range of notes, but a selection of different notes. In the code below, I have assumed that the pad is configured to send CC 7 (is that right?) with just values of 1, 2, 3 and 4. Those values translate to GM midi notes for Kick, Snare, Closed Hat and Open Hat respectively. I just used these since it is a percussion pad after all and that can be changed by adjusting the lookup table. You will need to configure the BopPad to only send the CC with a range of 1 to 4!

The lookup table is near the top and consists of a matrix of 8 x 16 CC value to note mappings. A 'special' note number of '80' means that the CC value should not be mapped at all. The note numbers are hex values as per this table - you can see that all the values are '80' except in the top row for positions 1, 2, 3 and 4 - those are the 4 GM drum notes as described above.

I have also made the retrigger prevention timeout configurable (set to 0 to disable entirely if you like) and the fixed velocity of each note is also configurable. All the constants are at the very top and are commented, but ping me if you need help changing these.

BopPad by audeonic

IF LOAD
    # constants - change these to suit

# K80 and 81 = incoming CC
    ASS K80 = B0 07

# K82 - retrigger timeout in ms
    # (set to 0 for no retrigger suppression)
    ASS K82 = 50

# K83 - channel pressure threshold
    # (turn current note off if pressure
    # falls below this value)
    ASS K83 = 0A

# K84 - fixed note velocity
    ASS K84 = 50

# lookup table for CC value - all 128 of them
    # specify 80 for no note on that CC value
    ASS K00 = 80 23 26 2A 2E 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80
    ASS K10 = 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80
    ASS K20 = 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 80