Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BopPad streambyter template project

@supadom is interested in playing scales along the radius of his inbound BopPad. I know @Daveypoo and others are, too. Maybe @SpookyZoo can unleash his magic on the project. Here is what I did last summer to get the ball rolling:

IF LOAD
# K0: note chan, ctl CC/chan, ctl CC val
ASS K0 = 00 B0 13
# L0: current delta, note on, note off
ASS L0 = 00
MAT L1 = 90 + K0
MAT L2 = 80 + K0
SET LB0 L0 +D
END

handle CC

IF M0 == K1 K2
MAT L0 = M2 - 40
SET LB0 L0 +D
END

blanket convert all note on+vel0 to off

9X XX 00 = 8X

trap chan note on

IF M0 == L1
# determine transposed note into l3
MAT L3 = M1 + L0

# check in bounds
IF L3 >= 0
IF L3 <= 7F
# store current delta in I
ASS IM1 = L0
# transpose the note
ASS M1 = L3
# show last transposed note
SET LB1 L3 +N
END
END

# allowed ranges (cloned)
NX 00-10 = XX +C
NX 28-2A = XX +C
NX 3C-3F = XX +C
NX 65-66 = XX +C

# block all incoming notes
NX = XX +B

END

apply current delta to note off and reset

IF M0 == L2
MAT L3 = M1 + IM1
ASS IM1 = 0
ASS M1 = L3
END

More later when I get my laptop out and can set the right CCs on the BP to see what works and what doesn’t (I have changed my settings on the hardware since working on this experiment.

Comments

• edited November 2018

Ha, I’m by far an expert on this. Nic the dev is a superhero of customer service and is often able to help get any imaginations into code.

I’ll certainly pitch in where I can. (Pun intended!) 👍😃

• Looks like chinese, wish i spoke it 😆
    Had eyes on the bopPad for a while, any word on an ios app editor?

• The approach taken here was to map CC values from 1-127 along the radius of the BP and map a note to "bands" of values. So three notes would be broken out from CC values 1-42, 43-84, 85-127.

• edited November 2018

@SpookyZoo is there a quick way to map a numeric value to hex notes? I am rethinking my approach to simplify the note conversion. I figured out how to assign a variable based on the CC value (see below) but now I want to assign a note based on that value (between 0 and 127).

IF M0 == B0 XX
    ASS L0 = M2

Can take this to the audeonic forum if easier.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @SpookyZoo is there a quick way to map a numeric value to hex notes? I am rethinking my approach to simplify the note conversion. I figured out how to assign a variable based on the CC value (see below) but now I want to assign a note based on that value (between 0 and 127).

IF M0 == B0 XX
    ASS L0 = M2

Can take this to the audeonic forum if easier.

I think there’s a decimal ‘flag’ that will translate a value to decimal. Think it’s +d. Different from the delay flag.

I don’t remember off top of my head how this is used but may be worth checking out the StreamByter 2 guide.

• Hmmm, this decimal flag may only be available in setting the label, sorry.

• I just realized that I had started down this path with Nic a while back... (My brain just doesn't work the way it used to, apparently.) If anyone wants to follow along with my investigation with Nic:

http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/544/cc-values-ons-offs

• Cheers @lukesleepwalker I'm definitely following this, whether here or the other forum.

• Just got this from one of the mcmillen guys. I think it is fair to assume that they won't implement it soon, maybe never. It's good to know that it is actually possible via firmware though.

• Would be nice to have in firmware for sure.

• I appreciate the effort but this is gibberish to me... If you get it working I'd pick up Streambyter just to be able to implement this.

• Hey @lukesleepwalker, just a ‘lil hint. If you indent every line of your code at least four spaces when posting, it’ll sow up in a code box, and won’t have the special characters interpreted as markdown formatting.

Example...

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Here is what I did last summer to get the ball rolling:

IF LOAD
      # K0: note chan, ctl CC/chan, ctl CC val
      ASS K0 = 00 B0 13
      # L0: current delta, note on, note off
      ASS L0 = 00

# handle CC
    IF M0 == K1 K2
      MAT L0 = M2 - 40
      SET LB0 L0 +D
    END

• Thx @wim. Good to know.

• Hey guys, I’ve actually been using a different solution to accomplish this. It’s not perfect but it’s my best solution so far. Here’s what I’ve gathered https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf3tn9b2mu0jtef/BoppadAUMScaler.zip?dl=0

A couple notes. You have to use the preset import option in the boppad editor, just trying to open it opened max4live (for me anyways). You’ll need Rozetta Suite, for Scaler which is how the pitching happens, Primer synth for the demo file, but its free, and AUM obviously. Also, you have to make sure the boppad is plugged in before loading the preset in AUM or it loses all its midi routings.

I split the 4 pads into 4 midi channels. The boppad template has them set to C1-D#1 for a quick general drum midi set up but in AUM I have all 4 pads transposed to C3. Each pad has a CC1 message going to each channel which I have controlling the pre-transpose slider giving you 48 semitones and that then goes into the scale quantization. In the demo file I have 4 primer synths set up to quickly show off the template. The other template is just 4 scalers ready to go.

If I were smarter I’d figure out the StreamByter code, but it’s pretty baffling stuff to me 😩. So this was my solution, I hope it helps someone.

• @ImortalTrashcan thanks for the preset and the idea. It's very clever! I loaded everything in and it works just as advertised. What's vexing is I'm hearing the same issues with the hardware that I've heard with most of my approaches with the BopPad. That is, if you take your setup and progress up through some notes from the center toward the outside, it behaves about how you would expect. But if you go back to the center, I don't get a low note. I get one "stuck" high note and then it plays the low note. This same "stuck note" issue seems to happen no matter which direction you are going in. If you skip over a bunch of notes, the first note seems to be the last pitch you played before it plays the "right" note for the position in the radius. Have you noticed this?

• @lukesleepwalker I’ve noticed it, but I’ve written it off as a setting I’m not setting right. Some of the terminology doesn’t make sense to me. For example, strike density, I think understand what I’m adjusting but I’m not sure if an extreme strike density is more accuracy or less. But the preset manager is not my favorite to use, so I haven’t finely tweaked it.

The inconsistency I think it has to do with the CC message being determined by initial radius instead of one of the other settings you can chose. That’s where I’d play around with it, if you have a good way of testing it on the pc side. I’m pretty sure with enough patience you can get it to respond how you want.

One of the ways I’ve made it a little more consistent is to change the percentages in AUM for the transpose parameter so you only play around in an octave or two instead of 4. But getting the percentage slider to match a 2 octave scale is again more patient fine tuning. It’s another imperfect solution to a feature I also thought was there. Even in the boppad editor it really misleads you into thinking there are 6 separate assignable notes per quadrant instead of a chord only.

• @ImortalTrashcan said:
    @lukesleepwalker I’ve noticed it, but I’ve written it off as a setting I’m not setting right. Some of the terminology doesn’t make sense to me. For example, strike density, I think understand what I’m adjusting but I’m not sure if an extreme strike density is more accuracy or less. But the preset manager is not my favorite to use, so I haven’t finely tweaked it.

The inconsistency I think it has to do with the CC message being determined by initial radius instead of one of the other settings you can chose. That’s where I’d play around with it, if you have a good way of testing it on the pc side. I’m pretty sure with enough patience you can get it to respond how you want.

One of the ways I’ve made it a little more consistent is to change the percentages in AUM for the transpose parameter so you only play around in an octave or two instead of 4. But getting the percentage slider to match a 2 octave scale is again more patient fine tuning. It’s another imperfect solution to a feature I also thought was there. Even in the boppad editor it really misleads you into thinking there are 6 separate assignable notes per quadrant instead of a chord only.

I think that last point is the one that sticks in my craw the most--the editor could allow the functionality we all thought we were getting at purchase. Hopefully KMI gets the firmware option working.

As for your theory about the CC and initial radius: can't say for sure. But my experiments have shown that I get more predictable results by using CC values along the radius than notes. Time will tell how it shakes out.

• My BopPad has just arrived!

I’ve been following the Audeonics thread and the issue with double triggering on the seams between notes. Having the actual physical thing in my hand it makes me think that I probably wouldn’t want more than 2 notes per quadrant. This seems like a limitation but comparing it to a hang or similar instruments with 8 notes it still seems like an amazing thing to have.

Not going near the seam between notes might just be a question of technique as would be the case with any other ‘real’ instrument.

One missed opportunity is I think not having any sensors on the whole, or parts of the rim. Maybe boppad 2 will have it. Who knows?

• @supadom said:
    My BopPad has just arrived!

I’ve been following the Audeonics thread and the issue with double triggering on the seams between notes. Having the actual physical thing in my hand it makes me think that I probably wouldn’t want more than 2 notes per quadrant. This seems like a limitation but comparing it to a hang or similar instruments with 8 notes it still seems like an amazing thing to have.

Not going near the seam between notes might just be a question of technique as would be the case with any other ‘real’ instrument.

One missed opportunity is I think not having any sensors on the whole, or parts of the rim. Maybe boppad 2 will have it. Who knows?

It's a good point about limiting the total number of notes. Can ask nic about further constraining the note range. Impressions of the BP overall?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

It's a good point about limiting the total number of notes. Can ask nic about further constraining the note range. Impressions of the BP overall?

I haven’t plugged it in yet! I like the form factor though. Reassuring weight to it while still being ultra portable. Very much looking forward to setting it up and playing.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

I haven’t plugged it in yet! I like the form factor though. Reassuring weight to it while still being ultra portable. Very much looking forward to setting it up and playing.

Looking forward to your report. I love the hardware because it's tough but still super portable. Throw it in a backpack and play anywhere. I've found it to be impressively responsive for playing too. Be sure to look for the sensitivity setting in the editor app. Makes a big difference.

• I'm interested too - this thread had me busting out the BopPad again and I'm reminded of how much fun it is. I really need to dial this thing in more.....

• Mmmm.. Out of the box I get a lot of double/triple triggering when I have it on my lap. Better when on the table. I've used it with elastic drums and I got some mad shit happening, with loads of notes firing up all together.

Initial thoughts: too early for that but I need to try something exciting before I get disinamoured. I have to say that Impaktor had me by the balls much quicker but I guess this one is all about the initial set up. No shortcuts ;) I've got to look for the inner ninja.

• @supadom said:
    Mmmm.. Out of the box I get a lot of double/triple triggering when I have it on my lap. Better when on the table. I've used it with elastic drums and I got some mad shit happening, with loads of notes firing up all together.

Initial thoughts: too early for that but I need to try something exciting before I get disinamoured. I have to say that Impaktor had me by the balls much quicker but I guess this one is all about the initial set up. No shortcuts ;) I've got to look for the inner ninja.

You have to dial in the sensitivity. I found that the sensitivity on mine was too high for stick playing out of the box and I got mad notes all over the place. Easy fix.

• @Daveypoo said:

@supadom said:
    Mmmm.. Out of the box I get a lot of double/triple triggering when I have it on my lap. Better when on the table. I've used it with elastic drums and I got some mad shit happening, with loads of notes firing up all together.

You have to dial in the sensitivity. I found that the sensitivity on mine was too high for stick playing out of the box and I got mad notes all over the place. Easy fix.

Yep, adjust the sensitivity ASAP.

• I've just finally sat down with it. The editor is driving me up the wall. I don't know if it's me missing something but when I select a quadrant, then turn pressure to off and save it to that quadrant's destination id does not retain the setting, it jumps straight back to what it was before.

I've searched for a tutorial video of how to use the editor but couldn't find one. I'm going to read the actual manual but in case someone has any helpful tips I'd be grateful to hear them as I'm not enjoying the experience up until now. A lot of stuck notes on ios when using with synths like zeeon and laplace in audiobus.

• I'm also getting stuck notes in Logic. I'm starting to worry that I have either an early unit or there's something wrong with it? Would any of you guys mind sending me a simple preset so I can test the pad with without worrying about user error?

• Ok. I need to save a preset before sending it to the pad. Weird but glad I've worked it out.

• @supadom said:
    Ok. I need to save a preset before sending it to the pad. Weird but glad I've worked it out.

Did you find the sensitivity controller on the preferences screen? That's the one that will help you control the unexpected behavior with notes etc.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:
    Ok. I need to save a preset before sending it to the pad. Weird but glad I've worked it out.

Did you find the sensitivity controller on the preferences screen? That's the one that will help you control the unexpected behavior with notes etc.

Yes, got that sussed out. I couldn't understand why values would jumb back to original when I pressed send to boppad. Turns out the preset needed to be saved first. I'm using the standalone editor. The Web one might be different.