Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 hotfix records midi AUv3 (I guess not, but I’m sure I saw it!?)

At least it seems to...

Comments

• Not working for me

• Don’t think so

• If it does, I haven’t figured out how.

• edited November 2018

Not here either. Tried ‘Particle’ and ‘Collider’. Either one will play the loaded bank or AU when the transport runs, but NOTHING records from either when I hit record, not audio or midi. Can you describe how you set it up, @Littlewoodg?

• To be fair it doesn’t list it on the fix list for this update

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    To be fair it doesn’t list it on the fix list for this update

heh. didn’t read it...

looking forward to recording some midi from Rozeta into one of the DAWs I have eventually. I can see that sort of thing being useful.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    To be fair it doesn’t list it on the fix list for this update

What? Huh? I could have sworn I saw that?! But you’re right. Dammit.

• edited November 2018

Nice...

• 2 small updates back to back is a very good sign.
    Slowly progressing to the 3.1b update, but in small steps instead of one huge leap.
    That is how I see this, but I admit, I am a bit of a BM3 outsider.

• Not sure how I’ve done it but I’ve recorded a couple clips with xox, and bassline. I’ll try to figure out how and report back. Recording clips into timeline, can’t be sure which view while recording. With bassline I had to be holding a key down while in the show plugin view

• Use Routemidi.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Not sure how I’ve done it but I’ve recorded a couple clips with xox, and bassline. I’ll try to figure out how and report back. Recording clips into timeline, can’t be sure which view while recording. With bassline I had to be holding a key down while in the show plugin view

That's just input notes, not from bassline or xox.

• edited November 2018

@CracklePot said:
    2 small updates back to back is a very good sign.
    Slowly progressing to the 3.1b update, but in small steps instead of one huge leap.
    That is how I see this, but I admit, I am a bit of a BM3 outsider.

It’s way better dealing with bugs immediately, rather waiting months to fix them and to add some new features :)

• Not sure if this is a bug, but Sustain doesn’t stay on when using the internal keyboard for AU synths.
    I can’t find any other way to easily control the release of notes (or any envelope controls for the internal keyboard).
    For example, I recorded a riff using the internal midi keyboard to control Tines AU and had Sustain ON, but as soon as the keyboard is off screen the Sustain function stops working.

How do you guys control ADSR envelopes of AU synths within BM3?
    Is it even possible if the plugin doesn’t have those controls on its own interface?

• edited November 2018

@3sleeves said:
    Not sure if this is a bug, but Sustain doesn’t stay on when using the internal keyboard for AU synths.
    I can’t find any other way to easily control the release of notes (or any envelope controls for the internal keyboard).
    For example, I recorded a riff using the internal midi keyboard to control Tines AU and had Sustain ON, but as soon as the keyboard is off screen the Sustain function stops working.

Is it even possible if the plugin doesn’t have those controls on its own interface?

Not a bug regarding sustain. It's always been this way and quite annoying if you want to set up a drone and do things on other banks/pads.

• @3sleeves said:
    Not sure if this is a bug, but Sustain doesn’t stay on when using the internal keyboard for AU synths.

Yea changing between banks does the same thing. Annoying that it doesn’t record when its on either but I always add it in the midi automation data

• @BroCoast said:

@3sleeves said:

Not a bug regarding sustain. It's always been this way and quite annoying if you want to setup a drone and do things on other banks/pads.

I just spent an hour trying different workarounds with no succes...have you found a stable way past this roadblock?
    My last effort was going to be trying FAC Transient as a plugin on the synth plugins, but I’ve had more than a handful of crashes in the past hour with just a couple AU’s loaded so I’m doubtful.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@3sleeves said:

Yea changing between banks does the same thing. Annoying that it doesn’t record when its on either but I always add it in the midi automation data

Ah, so I guess it is possible to set the Sustain in the automation before recording the actual playing...never thought of that before. Thanks for the suggestion!
    It’s still kind of annoying as it adds an odd step in the workflow, but if it works then at least it’s an option.

• The saga continues...

• It’s weird, a couple times I saw the pattern of the xox in midi patterns i didn’t make a screen shot cause I figured that I’d figured it out. It wasn’t my input. Every time I pressed record it created a pattern, and I still don’t know what I did. Really! But I can’t replicate it. I’d never tried the AUv3 midi stuff in BM3 now I’m obsessed

• Well BM3 finally sends transport info so you can export tracks with Replicant on it. I’m so happy about that

• @Littlewoodg said:
    It’s weird, a couple times I saw the pattern of the xox in midi patterns i didn’t make a screen shot cause I figured that I’d figured it out. It wasn’t my input. Every time I pressed record it created a pattern, and I still don’t know what I did. Really! But I can’t replicate it. I’d never tried the AUv3 midi stuff in BM3 now I’m obsessed

Spooky!

I had never tried either. But now that damn Rozeta suite is spitting out tracks for me and they're right up my alley. It's like Brambos hacked into my brain via the camera and figured out what makes me tick!

• First idea with with Bassline and Animoog. 4 tracks and a kick.

Not bad dark techno/german for not even thinking!

• At least it’s able to record audio from the Rozeta midi driven tracks

• @Littlewoodg said:
    At least it’s able to record audio from the Rozeta midi driven tracks

And we've had two updates in the week!

• @YZJustDatGuy @BroCoast
    So I eventually found that the Sustain ON will be recorded properly if you toggle it OFF then ON before each take, but if you press any of the transport controls before RECORD it will cause problems. That was the hiccup in workflow, I just pressed |< before record out of habit.

This seems to work consistently with Tines, which I also found has a Sustain length control when you press Show AU Knobs on the keyboard view. I’m thinking some other AU synths will have similar, if limited, envelope controls.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    At least it’s able to record audio from the Rozeta midi driven tracks

Yeah. I actually see a lot of good in the new method myself, and most of the lost additional functionality can be achieved by working with additional apps.

I posted my opinions on it in the other thread but I noticed that it has been sunk, so I’ll quote the relevant section here:

Specifically with regard to the MIDI AU implementation, I completely get why people are wound up over the changes, but honestly it felt much better designed and more creative in a practical sense in the current implementation. It works like a MIDI EFFECT (MIDI in, different MIDI out), which is totally logical and intuitive. For example, Rozeta generators can really be thought of as MIDI effects -- they take in MIDI which specifies things like key, active pattern etc. and output pattern data. So, pattern/scenes/timeline in BM3 is simply what instructions the Rozeta instances needed to generate the performance. Playback is perfect! After that, it's really easy to print the audio output onto an audio track (which works perfectly with almost no setup). It's a great workflow and you can even see on the pads screen, what notes the Rozeta modules are outputting, which is really cool! We've heard word from the source that it'll be possible in the future to print directly to MIDI, which actually doesn't really make sense to me unless it was printing to a separate ‘post fx’ MIDI lane that bypasses the MIDI AU -- otherwise the MIDI AU's track itself will play back incorrectly after it has been printed into the lane containing it's own control information.

While I did have some stability issues and problems with re-loading a session, I have absolutely zero issues with the design decisions taken by the BM3 team!

In discussion on the BM3 forum, it has been observed that the only Rozeta module that doesn’t fit this workflow is LFOs. This could theoretically be remedied if that module had an option to pass MIDI-Thru data (so a MIDI performance would go in, same performance with the specified CCs replaced with LFO data would come out).

I’m sure the situation with MIDI AUs generating random data that people want to edit later is a sore spot too — that’s a very platform specific issue somewhat, due to the unusually high amount of love for random note generators on iOS. Still, the possibility of pre/post fx lanes in the future (or an equivalent solution) could remedy that.

I think it’s a good enough implementation for now. Hopefully in the future the app as a whole will be fine tuned and this implementation expanded on to build out from the current state as well as allow apps like perforator to use their full functionality.

• Hey guys, first post. I found a lighter way to record Rozeta X0X’s midi into BeatMaker 3 with Audiobus 3 + Midiflow adapter using my midi controller to trigger it.

• @OscarSouth said:
    In discussion on the BM3 forum, it has been observed that the only Rozeta module that doesn’t fit this workflow is LFOs. This could theoretically be remedied if that module had an option to pass MIDI-Thru data (so a MIDI performance would go in, same performance with the specified CCs replaced with LFO data would come out).

That's on my list. I'm going to add MIDI Thru to LFO and XY.

• @brambos you are awesome. Keep up the good work so I can give you more money, 😎