Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App developers are falling behind. Logic Pro could easily run on a12x.

TBH, disappointed in apps and features RN. we are not in the "slow ipad" days anymore, the new iPad Pro is matching MBP 2018 performance. 7 cores, 4GB ram, the 1TB models have extra 2GB of ram, I mean come on, you guys can't be satisfied right now can you? There must be loads of features you want, and better design to the apps. They need to step up the game IMO, cubasis is still a joke compared to full version, atleast give it chord trak, I mean come on that feature would be so useful for ipads.

on my desktop with 8GB ram, 4 core, 2011 computer (which the a12X runs circles around) I can run omnisphere, kontakt, all these things in huge projects.

We need to stop settling for sub par experinces, this is apple platform, we should have the best lol

Comments

• I think we’ll get pro apps on par with desktop apps the day we pay the same price.

• @Konokoknk said:
    TBH, disappointed in apps and features RN. we are not in the "slow ipad" days anymore, the new iPad Pro is matching MBP 2018 performance. 7 cores, 4GB ram, the 1TB models have extra 2GB of ram, I mean come on, you guys can't be satisfied right now can you? There must be loads of features you want, and better design to the apps. They need to step up the game IMO, cubasis is still a joke compared to full version, atleast give it chord trak, I mean come on that feature would be so useful for ipads.

on my desktop with 8GB ram, 4 core, 2011 computer (which the a12X runs circles around) I can run omnisphere, kontakt, all these things in huge projects.

We need to stop settling for sub par experinces, this is apple platform, we should have the best lol

First...don´t believe comparisons between an mobile OS and a desktop OS....there is much more than some geekbench numbers which says not much about it.
    By numbers the iPad Pro 10.5" already would be on par with my old macbook pro but in reality my macbook could handle A LOT more.
    Anyway i think the biggest problem is the missing third party pro apps and that a notebook/desktop GUI isn´t easy to port for a multi-touch GUI and workflow.
    I still stand to it that DAW´s like NanoStudio 2, BeatMaker 3 etc. are the best you will get on a tablet.
    Logic would be unusable without a trackpad or mouse.
    What i do miss more are better tools, better FX and more creative FX instead of just another synth on iOS.
    But in general i would agree that the (theoretical) power of these new iPads are wasted as long as iOS is so crippled and tools (i personally) would want are missing but i get them on 10 years old laptops.
    But it´s simple....if you want a DAW like Logic....don´t wait for it on iOS anytime soon.

• How many weeks has that iPad been out? I think you should probably give things a bit more time.

I can be, and I am satisfied right now. There are amazing things on this platform. Some of them mind blowing.

• Yes, the cpus on the new devices are fast. And most of them will have 4 gigs of ram. And a host of other iOS limitations. And, as mentioned, a user base that generally goes nuts if something costs more that $20. ;)

I’m frankly amazed by what the developers have accomplished considering these inherent limitations.

• That's an interesting conversations. Actually I'm ready to pay high price ( $200-$400 or an annual subscription like Bitwig) for a full featured DAW on iPad - whatever it is: Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase, Logic, ProTools, S1... But it should have at least 70-80% of what's possible with desktop DAWs. And I don't see a reason for buying a new iPad pro (i have 1st gen iPad Pro) without pro-level DAW. My old iPad pro is more than capable for running apps that we have now and has headphones jack LOL

• @brice said:
    How many weeks has that iPad been out? I think you should probably give things a bit more time.

I can be, and I am satisfied right now. There are amazing things on this platform. Some of them mind blowing.

The problem might also that developers don´t want to support just the latest device.
    And yes, there are already some great and unique tools available right now.
    But yeah....i miss a lot and iOS hasn´t that quality of tools which it actually could run.
    (oh man...i would kill still for P900 on such a new iPad but the developer has no interest, it´s so much better than the Moog apps).
    I also don´t know why people believe this marketing BS and try to replace things with not so good things.
    If you want to use only an iPad you must change your workflow and expectations.

• @Tovokas said:

"And a host of other iOS limitations".

Its not just the power of the cpu, its more in the operating system

• edited November 2018

Yeah.. let’s make an app that only runs on a $2000 iPad Pro which has an installed base of 10.

Winning business model right there ;)

• @fattigman said:
    I think we’ll get pro apps on par with desktop apps the day we pay the same price.

I guess that's the main reason.

@fritzm said:

@Tovokas said:

"And a host of other iOS limitations".

Its not just the power of the cpu, its more in the operating system

Yes and no. iOS has many architectural limits but I can't see any of them keeping Apple from building most of Logic Pro on iOS, even for older iPads.

Like @brambos said, it's much more about their business model.
    Look at the prices of Macbooks, iMacs, Mac Minis: Apple live from hardware sales, not from making a small percentage of musicians happy.

• @brambos said:
    Yeah.. let’s make an app that only runs on a $2000 iPad Pro which has an installed base of 10.

:D :D . Comments like this is why I like this guy😂😂😂

• edited November 2018

My opinion - I don't want Logic Pro on Ipad. I want a leaner, meaner, daw. I want integration of all the synths, tools and fx that we already have. THAT imo is where we should be headed, not putting in a huge bloat of features that brings our iPads to their knees.

And IMO, that daw is NanoStudio. Can you tell i'm stoked?

(Oh and note, it may be NS2 or it may not. But my greater point is tight code, efficient workflow and great integration with great tools many of which are all here for the taking right now).

• I’d settle for the marrying of the already existing Logic Remote iOS interface with the GarageBand iOS engine. 🤓

• @realdawei said:
    I’d settle for the marrying of the already existing Logic Remote iOS interface with the GarageBand iOS engine. 🤓

And editing of the recorded automation at least for the included touch-instruments ;)
    I mean we can't even edit the recorded data for pitch & mod-wheels.

The GarageBand sampler could also include more basic editing features like trim & normalise before actually saving the instruments and since it's already built on the core of ESX24 adding some filters and envelopes would be really sweet...

But yeah, a 'marriage' between GarageBand and LogicRemote would be a good start!

• My secret hope is that some marketing guy like Schiller told the pro teams at Apple „Hey we’re selling iPads Pro now, we need pro software, port Logic and Final Cut and Xcode to iOS“ when the iPad Pros came out a few years ago. The teams went and ported the tools, but along the way they discovered all those pesky little details and obstacles which make it hard if not impossible to use an iPad as a pro machine. So they went back and started redesigning iOS for iPad from the ground up to somehow accommodate the needs of professionals without giving up on the core tenets of iOS. That’s not easy, but they’re working on it and will blow our minds when it’s ready. (A man can dream, right?!)

But having a new iPad OS and a few pro tools (no pun intended but I’ll take it) made by Apple is clearly not enough. What we want and need is a rich and pro app ecosystem. But we won’t get that as long as Apple doesn’t change the incentive structure of the App Store. And tbh, I don’t see that changing. Apple wants apps to be cheap, they don’t want trials, paid upgrades and what not. The only thing they‘ve changed in recent years is to encourage subscription models. Thanks, but no thanks.

It looks like they’re still betting on platform and network effects, but clearly it isn’t working. It’s no coincidence that innovation has come to a standstill. Those apps which really tried (and largely succeeded!) to make the most of the touch screen — Animoog, TC-11, Borderlands, just to name a few — haven’t been updated in years, don’t support AUv3, and it’s just a matter of time they’ll stop working altogether if nothing changes. The best apps right now, it seems to me, are....emulations of old analog synths like Model 15 or Model D, apparently used by Moog to get you to buy their hardware. I don’t think they’re making a huge profit by selling high quality apps for just $30. I would’ve gladly paid hundreds of bucks for them, but unfortunately that’s not how the App Store rolls.

What we mostly get nowadays are promising apps which aren’t quite there feature wise, are full of bugs and all in all are just frustrating (kind of the story of audio apps on iOS since the beginning, lol). And in the meantime we’re still waiting for Kontakt, Absynth, Reaktor, Ableton Live, Cubase et al to appear in the App Store, but alas, it won’t happen unless Apple changes course.

Ok sorry, this turned into a rant :smiley: Carry on and have fun!

• edited November 2018

Logic instruments and effect GUIs are hard enough to use on a big screen with a mouse. I can't imagine trying to use say Sculpture or Ultrabeat on a smaller iPad screen with a big ole finger. Or editing the Environment, automation, etc.

I definitely agree that a beefed up version of GarageBand would be nice, but port of Logic would fail for reasons that have nothing to do with CPU.

IMVHO.

• @Tarekith said:
    Logic instruments and effect GUIs are hard enough to use on a big screen with a mouse. I can't imagine trying to use say Sculpture or Ultrabeat on a smaller iPad screen with a big ole finger. Or editing the Environment, automation, etc.

I definitely agree that a beefed up version of GarageBand would be nice, but port of Logic would fail for reasons that have nothing to do with CPU.

IMVHO.

Just like GarageBand had its UI adatped to touch control, I would silently expect the same to happen with LPX. Naturally. Sculpture would probably have two screens or whatever makes it usable enough.

• IMO a promising payment option for non tablet daw devs would be to charge for all platform access. Given that bitwig is already doing that, and supports multi touch on windows, I’m willing to bet that iOS support from teams like Bitwig will happen eventually.

Somehow I’m guessing that Apple themselves and the technical restrictions they have had in place also have a lot to do with how long it’s taking for apps like that to be released for the platform... But regardless apple must have a strategy for encouraging the bigger pro app devs to support the platform more thoroughly at some point, it’s an obvious market for their increasingly powerful ipad ‘pro’ line.

• People freak out when a couple of devs opt for a low priced subscription model. How do you expect they would step up their game? Do you have a slight idea of the resources involved in making something like Logic or ProTools? IMHO.

• Hmm. I think this is Apple's shortsightedness and greed at work. It's not the app developers "at fault", but, rather, Apple for not making OSX compatible. As brambos implied, it's highly unlikely that there's ROI on full DAW music apps (of course, again, Apple is made of money and could do Logic if they cared to). But it'd be a lot easier if the iPad Pros just ran OSX for touch screens.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Hmm. I think this is Apple's shortsightedness and greed at work. It's not the app developers "at fault", but, rather, Apple for not making OSX compatible. As brambos implied, it's highly unlikely that there's ROI on full DAW music apps (of course, again, Apple is made of money and could do Logic if they cared to). But it'd be a lot easier if the iPad Pros just ran OSX for touch screens.

They are kind of doing it the other way around with project Marzipan where they are bringing UIKit to MacOS. So you could develop your app for iOS and it will run on macOS.

• @brambos said:

guess you didn't buy one then ;) could have been 11!

• @Tarekith said:

IMVHO.

But this is the sad thing. Sculpture is such a gem and there is nothing like it on iOS. It would for sure run easy on current and even old iPads.
    The GUI isn‘t that bad if you make it nearly full screen.
    But Apple could start with the updated GUI‘s or new tools like the ChromaVerb.
    But using Logic on a mac and the remote app is maybe the best way to use such a DAW.
    Multi-touch is in many ways really slow and unusable for such complex DAW‘s.
    However there are things missing in all iOS DAW‘s i would call standard for my workflow and so there is not one iOS DAW yet i like to use anymore......until NS2 will come.

• @Tarekith said:

IMVHO.

I would say that all recent Logic's plugins (and redesigned ones like Compressor) have interfaces perfectly optimized for iPad touchscreen - take a look how those plugins look on ipad (via Astropad app):

• @ipadmusic said:

@Tarekith said:

IMVHO.

I would say that all recent Logic's plugins (and redesigned ones like Compressor) have interfaces perfectly optimized for iPad touchscreen - take a look how those plugins look on ipad (via Astropad app):

Hah, indeed. Maybe they slowly prepare for the day.
    But also it would be maybe not good for other music app developers. The reality is that of course a lot prefer some third party tools and using AUv3 especially inside a DAW but Logic would make all available iOS apps obsolete for me since it has everything included. Only some synths which works with modulations at audio rate i would use on top. So be careful for what you wish.
    The truth is that even the possibility that they do it one day let me think about if i ever should buy any app from now on.

• Na.
    I want a $5.99 app that can run Logic on my iPad, and iPhone
    At least 200 tracks, VSTs, and lots of huge orchestral Kontakt instruments.
    Wifi access to 48 outputs @ 96k, lock to video timecode, etc

Wont be long now..
    Maybe a smart Dev can make this for 99c?, and hopefully initially on sale for 20c for the first month.

Then I will expect constant free updates for at least 3 years