Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pros 2018 look like :-) USB-C heaven (-: for musicians

1235»

Comments

• edited August 2019

Shorter is better. There’s a maximum length for full-speed data in the USB-C spec, but it’s been a while since I checked it.

For our uses, though, it won’t make much difference. Audio and midi are fine even on usb 2, and we’re not streaming multiple hi-def video streams or anything like that.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Shorter is better. There’s a maximum length for full-speed data in the USB-C spec, but it’s been a while since I checked it.

Agree, I think the limit is about 18 inches or 0,5 meter. Longer than that can cause problems.

But most of these hubs come with a little 10cm cable that is hard-wired to the hub so I am glad to finally see a compact hub that can use a detachable cable.

• I have the hyper hub. Disappointed as one could be - anyone using it?
    I bought it because of the implemented headphone jack which does not work with most 3.5mm cables I have. Beside that my copy IS NOT midi compatible. Which makes this thing completely useless for me. I think I will use it as a external storage thing (I will keep one micro sD card with all my samples always in... ;))

• Anyone else have been using hyperdrive hubs and call tell that everything works great? I’m moving to new iPad and I’m wondering which hub I should go with..

• @david_2017 said:
    I have the hyper hub. Disappointed as one could be - anyone using it?
    I bought it because of the implemented headphone jack which does not work with most 3.5mm cables I have. Beside that my copy IS NOT midi compatible. Which makes this thing completely useless for me. I think I will use it as a external storage thing (I will keep one micro sD card with all my samples always in... ;))

What do you mean by not midi compatible? Can you elaborate that?

• @sly said:

@david_2017 said:

I figured it out... my trusty cable was broken 🙈 the hub from hyper is midi compatible. I had my circuit running through it. Worked 👍🏼
    If you want one... go for it sir!

• edited November 2019

@sly said:

We’ll see if David2017 replies but I think there are some USB hubs that don’t properly transmit USB MIDI. Not sure how that is possible since it should just be based on standard USB protocols. It might have to do with the amount of power a USB MIDI keyboard or controller requests from the host (through the USB hub) and how much power the hub passes down to the USB peripheral. So, if that is not properly implemented, some MIDI controllers won’t work.

[EDIT: ignore me. These guys got it figured out. ]

• @david_2017 said:

@sly said:

@david_2017 said:

I figured it out... my trusty cable was broken 🙈 the hub from hyper is midi compatible. I had my circuit running through it. Worked 👍🏼

Great news! Thanks! My new iPad is coming tomorrow. What about the headphone jack on hyperdrive? Is it ok?

• @sly said:

@david_2017 said:

@sly said:

@david_2017 said:

Great news! Thanks! My new iPad is coming tomorrow. What about the headphone jack on hyperdrive? Is it ok?

I had some conversation with the hyper support. You have to push it into the jack with pressure (!!!) and I had some cables that won’t work, and some speaker which were not recognized- that sucked. I have a little small usb sound Interface (like a thumbdrive) which will work everytime. Hmmm I would say give it a shot and make use of return policy if needed - the device is really great and portable 👍🏼 I have a small 250GB micro as card in it which contains all of my samples (the beauty: it almost sticks completely into the device, cool beans as Doug would say). Take care

• So I can say that hyperdrive works fine without any issues with my iPad pro 2018. I have tested usage of external interface with it lately so this lead to another search for the hub. The requirements are:

1. USB A or USB c for controlling external instruments
    2. USB A for the audio interface
    3. USB C for charging.

Jack is not needed I guess since I will be using an interface. I was checking the belking site for the docks and I can see some of them that are interesting. Anyone using them with iPad? In theory, they should be compatible.

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U092/#

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U093/#

• I’ve got an iPad Pro 11 2018 with the usb-c port, so I figured I’d need to buy the “genuine Apple” dongle (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=54ae684ca66fe522ae1772823599256708837830a38f931d6029cf68d7664603b7ea1a3a326795730f9fdeff4eea0f199470e2c5f144a7395eccb1bcf2d3dc7675de2bf39056f35c12c27bb2bc9996ea618a64d7817e5e252915a2ee2dc7cfc4) to be able to use any usb-3 devices like my Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen etc.

So far, I’m VERY disappointed that this $69 genuine Apple product does not allow me to charge my iPad Pro through its usb-c port! I bought my iPad used and it didn’t come with the original charging cable... is THAT IT??? Do I really need to buy a “genuine” Apple brand usb-c charging cable? The cable that I DO have works fine for charging plugged directly into the iPad, but not through this Apple adapter thing.

The USB-3 port works fine, (and I doubt I’ll ever need to use the HDMI port), but what do I need to buy that will work for charging the iPad at the same time?

• @Intrepolicious said:
    So far, I’m VERY disappointed that this $69 genuine Apple product does not allow me to charge my iPad Pro through its usb-c port!

Why did you buy this adapter? It’s for connecting an HDMI monitor to a Mac or and iPad.

Return it if you can. You don’t need any adapter to plug USB-C into your iPad. If you want to plug in a USB-A device, get a USB-C hub from any manufacturer. Make sure it has a USB-C PD port to plug in pass-through power.

• edited May 2020

@mistercharlie said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    So far, I’m VERY disappointed that this $69 genuine Apple product does not allow me to charge my iPad Pro through its usb-c port!

Why did you buy this adapter? It’s for connecting an HDMI monitor to a Mac or and iPad.

Return it if you can. You don’t need any adapter to plug USB-C into your iPad. If you want to plug in a USB-A device, get a USB-C hub from any manufacturer. Make sure it has a USB-C PD port to plug in pass-through power.

Thanks. Got any recommendations?

I bought it because it’s the only one that Apple has on their site that has USB-C to USB-A and a USB-C port for charging. The standard USED to be only genuine Apple products will work, but now, not the case? Why doesn’t this one work?

Yes, I know it has an HDMI port for connecting a monitor, but what are the USB-A and C ports for?

• edited May 2020

Turns out it was the older 12w iPad power brick that wasn’t providing enough power to pass through. I bought a 61w Apple power brick and all my problems went away!

Also got a usb-c hub that has PD and all kinds of ports including 3 usb-3 ports, 3.5mm audio, SD cards etc.

• @Intrepolicious which hub did you get?

• edited May 2020

@NoiseFloored said:
    @Intrepolicious which hub did you get?

I’ll have to look at it tonight when I get home. It’s a “Hyper-something” 9 in 1 usb-c hub.

Edit: Hyper-Drive!

It’s this one right here. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperdrive-9-port-usb-c-hub-space-gray/6349958.p?skuId=6349958

Bought it at Best Buy along with a few other things. Works great!

So far, I’ve used it to connect my Scarlett 4i4 interface to my iPad Pro and can now record guitars and my external hardware synth (DM12) right into the iOS environment, all while charging the iPad at the same time.

I think it’s cool how I can select which inputs on the 4i4 I want to use in AUM!