Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pros 2018 look like :-) USB-C heaven (-: for musicians

Comments

• In AB tap on settings then turn on "Multiroute Audio".

• @lucas said:
    In AB tap on settings then turn on "Multiroute Audio".

Surprisingly enough I don’t have audiobus lol

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Looks like the company plans to release a new version next month that's designed specifically for the new iPads.

Here's the press release: https://www.hypershop.com/blogs/news/hyper-announce-new-hyperdrive-world-s-first-dedicated-usb-c-hub-for-2018-ipad-pro.

Yea that one is very similar to the one I have now. The USB C port is in the middle and it has one USB port on the upcoming model

• @YZJustDatGuy, how is your USB-C dock holding up? Does the physical connection feel secure enough even when moving the iPad about so the connection gets some tugs? Those 2 USB ports vs. 1 on the upcoming model make it much more interesting to me. The thickness (9 mm) seems to be exactly the same in both docks.

• @gosnote said:
    @YZJustDatGuy, how is your USB-C dock holding up? Does the physical connection feel secure enough even when moving the iPad about so the connection gets some tugs? Those 2 USB ports vs. 1 on the upcoming model make it much more interesting to me. The thickness (9 mm) seems to be exactly the same in both docks.

It’s sturdy enough. My only concern is that the hub doesn’t sit in the middle so you could possibly bend it but that still would take a bit of force. The two USB ports and immediate availability is what sold me. I usually only need two

• They look like a good idea, but I went with an external with a short cord, not only to lessen any pressure on the connector, but mostly because as soon as Otterbox release the new Defender case for the 12.9, that’s where this slippery puppy will live. No chance of using that style of interface then. 😉

• @sch said:
    They look like a good idea, but I went with an external with a short cord, not only to lessen any pressure on the connector, but mostly because as soon as Otterbox release the new Defender case for the 12.9, that’s where this slippery puppy will live. No chance of using that style of interface then. 😉

Understandable. I personally hate otter boxes because they take away the feel of the device but protection is key

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@sch said:
    They look like a good idea, but I went with an external with a short cord, not only to lessen any pressure on the connector, but mostly because as soon as Otterbox release the new Defender case for the 12.9, that’s where this slippery puppy will live. No chance of using that style of interface then. 😉

Understandable. I personally hate otter boxes because they take away the feel of the device but protection is key

I hear you... most of the time, I remove the screen protector sheet so I have direct contact with the glass. It’s protecting the rest of the device that I’m interested it. The new case design is well-thought out, with a protected place for storing and charging the Pencil too. Hope is ships soon, as I find the thing just unbelievably slippery. 😱

• These dongles are a mess. I also had to restart the iPad after it stopped recognizing this one.

Do we need stands for our dongles now?

• edited November 2018

I'm grabbing a USB-C extension cord, personally. I hate having a wiring octopus right in my space, especially suspended by the jack and plug. Even the CCK3 bugs me.

• edited November 2018

@mistercharlie in one sense I totally agree. I think the dongles with built-in cables (all of them seem to have 4 -8 inch cables) will end up being too short in certain situations. ...for example, your picture above :lol: (sorry it makes me laugh) Someone could make a killing off dongle-sized banana hammocks.

Also the dongles that attach to the side of the iPad are in the same predicament. Both of these types seem doomed to fail quickly. I just can’t imagine the USB-C port being able to survive with the constant weight of the dongle + other cables pulling down on the plug.

That’s why I suggested the one at the top of this thread. It has no attached cable. It comes with a 18” cable included or You can get one that suits your needs so the dongle + all the cables can rest on the desk.

It will be interesting to see if these different dongles build good user review ratings. If I were buying one right now, I would do whatever it takes to make sure I can keep the heavy dongle and extra cables secure on the desktop, with as little stress as possible on the USB-C port itself.

• edited November 2018

@Liquidmantis said:
    I'm grabbing a USB-C extension cord, personally. I hate having a wiring octopus right in my space, especially uspended by the jack and plug. Even the CCK3 bugs me.

Maybe a good solution :+1: as long as the extension is quality.

And yes, I have similar feelings about the CCK 3 :sweat_smile:

• edited November 2018

I have a question, is this usb c port on the iPad a Midi usb thing too?
    Right now I am hooking up my iPhone to my helix (CCK and usb cord) and the iPhone sends via usb midi even Audiosignals. Meaning, I fire up AUM and jam along on the helix. Is this possible with the new usb c port? Thanks guys!

• @david_2017 said:

USB-C port should work exactly the same as your current setup over lightning. You’ll just need a USB cable that has USB-C on the other end, and won’t need the CCK. :)

• @Hmtx said:

@david_2017 said:

USB-C port should work exactly the same as your current setup over lightning. You’ll just need a USB cable that has USB-C on the other end, and won’t need the CCK. :)

Thanks for your lightning (haha) fast reply! This really starts looking for a winner choice... I think i will get one of those shiny 11 inch pads. lookingamazonforcables

• @david_2017 I'm thinking the same thing, though I will have to go for the 12.9 :smile: It does look amazing

This would be my hub of choice, it has everything, including DisplayPort (and an adapter to convert to HDMI).

And yeah, its worth mentioning that a USB-C hub will also let you send video out to an external monitor. I'm extra curious to hear how that is working for musicians, especially for VJ apps.

• @Hmtx said:

This would be my hub of choice, it has everything, including DisplayPort (and an adapter to convert to HDMI).

Be careful to assure yourself this will actually work with ios, they‘re only talking about Mac/Win (I‘m eyeing this also...)

• edited November 2018

@animal said:
    Be careful to assure yourself this will actually work with ios, they‘re only talking about Mac/Win (I‘m eyeing this also...)

thats true, but thats also the beauty of USB-C. If it doesn't work... well then either iOS or the hub are out of USB-C compliance. Technically any USB-C hub should work.

and good point, Apple didn't say anything about DisplayPort, though they did say HDMI should work with the new iPads...

• I need to get a USB-C to USB-B cable to use with my iConnecMIDI2+ interface. Has anyone found one that works ok? I asked Cable Creations about theirs and they said they didn't think it would work with the new iPad Pros...

• @Hmtx said:

@animal said:

thats true, but thats also the beauty of USB-C. If it doesn't work... well then either iOS or the hub are out of USB-C compliance. Technically any USB-C hub should work.

Sure, but this thing does alot more than those smaller dongles, that‘s why I am hesitating (first I‘ll need the 11“Pad, anyways...). Let me know if you buy it, how you get on with it. Cheers

• @gkillmaster said:
    I need to get a USB-C to USB-B cable to use with my iConnecMIDI2+ interface. Has anyone found one that works ok? I asked Cable Creations about theirs and they said they didn't think it would work with the new iPad Pros...

I think their "didn't think it would work" answer is more an issue of most people not realizing that audio interfaces work great on iOS. A standard USB-C to USB-B cable should work fine. Data is data...

• @Hmtx said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I need to get a USB-C to USB-B cable to use with my iConnecMIDI2+ interface. Has anyone found one that works ok? I asked Cable Creations about theirs and they said they didn't think it would work with the new iPad Pros...

I think their "didn't think it would work" answer is more an issue of most people not realizing that audio interfaces work great on iOS. A standard USB-C to USB-B cable should work fine. Data is data...

The manufacturer said they didn't think it would work cause there wouldn't be a driver on the iPad that would make it work. Maybe the person responding didn't really know?

• @gkillmaster exactly, they just didn't know.

iOS has drivers built in, it's called "class-compliant" audio and MIDI. All you need is the right cable to connect to USB-C.

Before now, it was actually more complicated with the lightning port. iOS does not normally let the lightning port act as a USB host (for anything, including audio/MIDI). The CCK has a chip that enables the iOS device as a USB host, both for transferring photos and for hosting audio/MIDI devices that are class-compliant. So the CCK was a necessary dongle that is no longer a requirement with USB-C.

• @Hmtx said:
    @gkillmaster exactly, they just didn't know.

iOS has drivers built in, it's called "class-compliant" audio and MIDI. All you need is the right cable to connect to USB-C.

Before now, it was actually more complicated with the lightning port. iOS does not normally let the lightning port act as a USB host (for anything, including audio/MIDI). The CCK has a chip that enables the iOS device as a USB host, both for transferring photos and for hosting audio/MIDI devices that are class-compliant. So the CCK was a necessary dongle that is no longer a requirement with USB-C.

Thank you @Hmtx ! Do you know if Cable Creation cables are decent, or do you know of one you know is decent?

• no clue on that @gkillmaster. I tend to trust the Amazon review ratings. And Amazon return policy is great, so I would go for it.

• @gkillmaster said:
    Thank you @Hmtx ! Do you know if Cable Creation cables are decent, or do you know of one you know is decent?

I just received a couple for my iPad Pro and they are very nice. Well made and quite sturdy.

• @Hmtx said:
    no clue on that @gkillmaster. I tend to trust the Amazon review ratings. And Amazon return policy is great, so I would go for it.

Thank you!

• edited November 2018

@sch said:

@gkillmaster said:

I just received a couple for my iPad Pro and they are very nice. Well made and quite sturdy.

Yay! Thanks. Is there any issue with getting one 15'? will order now...

• edited November 2018

@Hmtx said:

@gkillmaster said:

Just take in consideration there are differences between just plain usb-c port and thunderbolt usb-c port. Same connector, way different purposes.

Here's how Thunderbolt 3 is different from its predecessors:

The Mini DisplayPort connection type has been ditched in favor of a USB-C connection type.
    All Thunderbolt 3 cables will work as USB-C cables.
    All USB-C cables will work as Thunderbolt 3 cables as long as they are good quality cables.
    Thunderbolt 3 has a top data transfer speed of 40Gbps as long as the cable is 0.5m (1.6 ft.) or shorter.
    For 1m (3.2 ft.) or longer cables, Thunderbolt 3 supports passive (cheaper) ones that have a top speed of 20Gbps, and active cables (more expensive) that retain the 40Gbps speed.
    Thunderbolt 3 is backward-compatible with earlier versions of Thunderbolt, but due to the new port type, adapters are required to use legacy Thunderbolt devices.
    Any USB-C device (like a Google Pixel) plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 port will function normally.
    Since Thunderbolt 3 devices use discrete Thunderbolt chips to function, they will not function if plugged into a USB-C port.

Source:
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/usb-type-c-thunderbolt-3-one-cable-to-connect-them-all/

New iPad pro has usb-c but not Thunderbolt connector. In booth a chip manages how it behaves (like cck) but it could be driven by host/endpoint (afai understood).

This is from a Serato forum post talking about the same (more or less)

The USB Type-C Specification was released by the USB-IF (USB Implementers Forum) in 2014 along with the USB 3.1 specification. While not required, USB-C has plenty of tricks up its sleeve for the way it can communicate and connect. A USB-C port can support these things simultaneously:

Audio accessory mode For passive audio or passthrough audio.
    Alternate mode This uses some of the wires in the USB connection for direct device-to-host transmission of alternate data protocols; as of 2016 this includes DisplayPort, Mobile >High-Definition Link, and HDMI.
    Billboard Device Class This communicates to supply details of Alternate mode connections or to simply provide information about the connection or the device connected at either end.
    Audio Device Class 3 specification This sends analog or digital (or both) audio data through the port.
    USB Power Delivery This not only provides "fast charging" over USB, but it also supports >DRP (Dual Role Power) to fast charge your phone and supply power to a connected device at the same time.
    The USB Type-C specification doesn't require these things, but they are supported. That means you can do a lot more with the USB-C port on your iPad Pro than listen to music or charge it if Apple and the company making whatever is being plugged in decides to include any of these extra modes. Some are great — HDMI or DisplayPort through the Alternate mode specification means you can connect your iPad Pro to a monitor or to an AV Receiver for premium sound while you mirror the screen. And charge it, and send data or charge another USB-C accessory with the right cable all at the same time.

The two pictures above are of a small USB-C dock made by Anker that I use with my Pixelbook. I can send video out through an HDMI or VGA interface, charge my Pixelbook through a USB-C port, send power out through two USB-A ports, and use an Ethernet connection. I can do this all from a relatively cheap block of aluminum that no company had to certify because it leverages these USB-C interface specifications. As long as Apple supports the same, I could plug it into an iPad Pro with the same results.

Android, along with Chrome OS, Windows, macOS, and Linux all fully support the USB Type-C connection specifications. Now iOS at least partially supports the USB-C connector specifications.

While the audio won't necessarily sound better because it's using the USB-C port, there are a lot of cool things that can be done while we are listening. We'll know exactly what you can and can't do once our iPad Pros arrive.

Source:
    https://www.imore.com/usb-c-audio-and-ipad-pro-everything-you-need-know

So as I spotted there, lets look a bit deep before make full assumptions. It seems an improvement but let's take info at hand to be helpful. Apple is Apple, don't forget about it :lol:

• edited November 2018

@Dubbylabby that imore.com article is very informative, worth the 5 minute read.
    also a good point to remember that there is no Thunderbolt support. thanks for that

I still think we are at one of those rare convergences where "Apple being Apple" also gives us end-users an objectively better product.

...think about it. remember when we were just shocked to discover that USB audio and MIDI devices actually worked over CCK? and even more amazed when the Apple Store started listing Audio/MIDI on the CCK product page (providing official support for it).
    The fact is that iOS is finally moving past lightning port workarounds and into standardized USB-C. This is nothing but good news, even if it takes a while to sort out the limitations and parameters of what will or won't work.

...I mean it's just kind of funny to think that some of us iOS musicians are worried/upset that Apple is dropping the lightning port, which was always a hacked together workaround for music and MIDI.