Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pros 2018 look like :-) USB-C heaven (-: for musicians

Comments

• edited November 2018

I wish someone would demonstrate recording audio into the IPAD

• @oldschoolwillie said:

It’s no different than before lol. You just need a new adapter. I’m using the same audio interface that I used with my 10.5 Pro

• I think I saw that an audio interface like Kontakt 6 can be powered directly by the new Pro, no powered hub required (but probably needed for extended sessions).

• Here’re some interesting bits about the USB port:

Review: The iPad Pro and the power of the Pen(cil) | TechCrunch

The port now serves a full 7.5W to devices plugged in to charge, and you can plug in microphones and other accessories via the USB-C port, though there is no guarantee any of them will get enough power from the port if they previously required external power.

Pretty much all MacBook dongles will work on the iPad Pro, by the way. So whatever combos of stuff you’ve come up with will have additional uses here.

The port is USB 3.1 gen 2 capable, making for transfers up to 10GBPS. Practically, what this means for most people is faster transfer from cameras or SD Card readers for photos. Though the iPad Pro does not support mass storage or external hard drive support directly to the Files app, apps that have their own built-in browsing can continue to read directly from hard drives and now the transfer speeds will be faster.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@R_2 said:

@R_2 said:

@echoopera said:
    Gonna need a nice dongle at some point

You got 12.9 right? Why isn’t Gadget filling up the screen 100%? I see black bars on the side.

@echoopera said:
    Gonna need a nice dongle at some point
    but so far dongle free feels good too😬

I’m really happy with how the new case holds up under some serious finger drumming. Provides a nice little angle when tapping notes on screen.

You got 12.9 right? Why isn’t Gadget filling up the screen 100%? I see black bars on the side.

New aspect ratios on the iPads because of the rounded corners

Apps need to be updated to get rid of the borders.

• @david_2017 said:
    Interesting. The cool Apple accessory is mine for only 80€ oh Apple...

One more question: is USB c the end of mfi?
    I HATE it when some cables work and some stop working after the next update (had this also with Apple original cables)
    So basically: is USB C just USB C and will work with the es ipad?

Yes,this is an interesting but also important point. Curious to know too.

• Though the iPad Pro does not support mass storage or external hard drive support directly to the Files app, apps that have their own built-in browsing can continue to read directly from hard drives

What exactly does this mean? Can any app with built-in browsing read directly from hard drives today, without using Files? Can BM3 or AS?

Another sneaky alternative for an app would be to translate wav to images, then use the photo library for storage. Should be doable with some custom encoding and decoding! Take each float32 sample value and put that in image(x, y) position (or along those lines).

• @bleep said:

Though the iPad Pro does not support mass storage or external hard drive support directly to the Files app, apps that have their own built-in browsing can continue to read directly from hard drives

What exactly does this mean? Can any app with built-in browsing read directly from hard drives today, without using Files? Can BM3 or AS?

As of now, there are apps capable of accessing external storage devices via Lightning. It’s still unclear if Apple will let them access normal USB (-C) drives in the future. We don’t really know the answer yet — I’ll believe it when I see it.

Another sneaky alternative for an app would be to translate wav to images, then use the photo library for storage. Should be doable with some custom encoding and decoding! Take each float32 sample value and put that in image(x, y) position (or along those lines).

Ugh, no. We want proper, official USB drive support via Files.app, Time Machine and what not.

• @david_2017 said:
    Interesting. The cool Apple accessory is mine for only 80€ oh Apple...

One more question: is USB c the end of mfi?
    I HATE it when some cables work and some stop working after the next update (had this also with Apple original cables)
    So basically: is USB C just USB C and will work with the es ipad?

I think eventually yes, USB-C will mean there's no longer a need for all that MFi "made for iOS" mess.

USB-C is a industry-wide standard, not created by Apple. The only limits will be whatever software limitations Apple programs into iOS for how the system handles USB-C devices.

For example, external USB storage is recognized but the only access iOS gives us is to a correctly labeled "DCIM" folder with photos and movies, and only allows copying to the Photos app. The encouraging news is that Apple said it is up to developers to create apps that can leverage the use of USB-C... I can't find a quote on that, but I hope that means there will be some room for things to work. A file browser app can load network files and make them available to iOS Files app... so maybe the same can be done for USB-C attached storage. I'm sure we'll find out soon on this.

• @whiteout said:
    As of now, there are apps capable of accessing external storage devices via Lightning. It’s still unclear if Apple will let them access normal USB (-C) drives in the future. We don’t really know the answer yet — I’ll believe it when I see it.

Thats true, I think its just a matter of time for these apps to update with the same access over USB-C that they have over lightning.

• @Hmtx said:

@whiteout said:

Thats true, I think its just a matter of time for these apps to update with the same access over USB-C that they have over lightning.

Well, that’s my hope too, but I’m not holding my breath tbh. First of all, right now these apps/developers have to go through the MFi program and are using Apple‘s private APIs to access their proprietary drives. Apple would lose a lot of control if they’d allow everyone in. Second: allowing external storage and some sort of file management would be quite a fundamental change in how iOS works and would pose a considerable UI design challenge. On top of that, it would collide with Apple‘s long term strategy for iOS devices (transparently thin, light and, most of all, wireless). But we‘ll see, it’s definitely doable.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

It’s no different than before lol. You just need a new adapter. I’m using the same audio interface that I used with my 10.5 Pro

Good news there.
    What audio interface are you using?

• @Ben said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

Good news there.
    What audio interface are you using?

Zoom U24

• Plugged my iPad directly into my Roland Duo-Capture EX interface via a USB-C to USB standard B cable and it works flawlessly, but I do notice that if the iPad shuts off (times out), that I have to reload the app to get any sound to play (using D1 in this instance).

• edited November 2018

Just purchased this from Best Buy. It works perfect and has all the ports I need. 2 USB 3.0 ports, microSD and SD, HDMI, USB C PD and 3.5mm headphone port
    https://www.hypershop.com/collections/usb-type-c/products/hyperdrive-solo-hub-for-usb-c-macbook-pc-devices

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    Just purchased this from Best Buy. It works perfect and has all the ports I need. 2 USB 3.0 ports, microSD and SD, HDMI, USB C PD and 3.5mm headphone port
    https://www.hypershop.com/collections/usb-type-c/products/hyperdrive-solo-hub-for-usb-c-macbook-pc-devices

Oh my goodnes. Does this work?
    This is amazing and giving all power to the people again. Even sd card and HDMI, incredible. And for less than apples hdmi dongle haha

• @david_2017 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

This is amazing and giving all power to the people again. Even sd card and HDMI, incredible. And for less than apples hdmi dongle haha

I haven’t tested the HDMI or SD card readers yet but I’d imagine they work as well

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@david_2017 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

I haven’t tested the HDMI or SD card readers yet but I’d imagine they work as well

Even from the height of this dongle and the iPad I mean too. It’s the some height, so the usb goes in nicely.
    If so this is the thing.

• Eliminates the need for the cck ??

• @reasOne said:
    Eliminates the need for the cck ??

If it works... for everything. One dongle to rule them all

• Both the HyperDrive SOLO and OWC USB-C docks look nice!
    What are the chances that Apple make one big dock like this for all of their new USB-C and TB3 products?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443
    It's interesting to read about the differences between their TB3 and USB-C cable.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208368

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

Looks very interesting! How snuggly does the Hyperdrive hub fit along the edge of the iPad ? 11 inch? Is it very firmly connected so that it won’t accidentally come out if one of the connected cables gets a little tug?

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

Does the Hyperdrive also have mic-in on the audioport?, or just headphones?

• @david_2017 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@david_2017 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Even from the height of this dongle and the iPad I mean too. It’s the some height, so the usb goes in nicely.
    If so this is the thing.

Can confirm that everything works. The only thing is while using the HDMI out, Audio will not pass through the 3.5mm port and you can’t change that but all the ports work as they should. 0 problems

• @animal said:
    @YZJustDatGuy said:

Does the Hyperdrive also have mic-in on the audioport?, or just headphones?

It supports mic in as well. Just tested it inside of BM3

@AlterEgo_UK said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

Looks very interesting! How snuggly does the Hyperdrive hub fit along the edge of the iPad ? 11 inch? Is it very firmly connected so that it won’t accidentally come out if one of the connected cables gets a little tug?

It’s kinda long so I’m not sure if it’ll fit on the 11 inch without hanging over a bit. I don’t have one to test it on either. It’s not the most secure connection but its not like it’ll come unplugged while using. Just cant be rough with it.

@reasOne said:
    Eliminates the need for the cck ??

Yes it completely eliminates the need for CCK. This essentially is the CCK with 2 USB ports + HDMI + 3.5mm + SD/MicroSD. It’s great. Kinda pricey but its an all in one

• Also noted with the hub that when connected, sound does not come through the speakers even if you have no headphones attached to the hub.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

Wow! Nice find, thanks for sharing! 😺

• Looks like the company plans to release a new version next month that's designed specifically for the new iPads.

Here's the press release: https://www.hypershop.com/blogs/news/hyper-announce-new-hyperdrive-world-s-first-dedicated-usb-c-hub-for-2018-ipad-pro.

• @YZJustDatGuy said: The only thing is while using the HDMI out, Audio will not pass through the 3.5mm port and you can’t change that but all the ports work as they should.

Not even with multi-route enabled?

• @lucas said:

@YZJustDatGuy said: The only thing is while using the HDMI out, Audio will not pass through the 3.5mm port and you can’t change that but all the ports work as they should.

Not even with multi-route enabled?

Never heard of multi route