Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can't Delete "File" The file doesn't exist

Went to permanently delete a bunch of music related files in the iOS "Files" app, ones in the "Recently Deleted" section. One stray file doesn't want to be permanently deleted, as it lingers around. So I go to delete it and get the message from iOS:

Can't Delete "(File Name)" The file doesn't exist.

Setting aside the obvious, that if the file doesn't exist then it shouldn't need to be deleted, a more pressing and layered question emerges: Why?

So I try deleting the Files app and the app the file came from (iVCS3), reinstall them. The rogue file still sits there in the "Recently Deleted" section, mocking me.

I then notice a message above this lone and dastardly file that reads, "Recently deleted items may be permanently deleted by your storage provider," and I think to myself, "Man, iOS 12 is a really really really crappy operating system."

Comments

• Try rebooting your iPad...

• HaHA! I defeat you, you stinking operating system!

I noticed the date on the file was 11-8-2016 for some reason, rather than 2018. I guess the "Files" app automatically deletes files in the "Recently Deleted" section after 30 days, so I set the date in the "Settings" app back to November 16, 2016, go back to the files app and am able to vanquish my foe.

• @Samu said:
    Try rebooting your iPad...

Tried that. The sneaky bugger was too smart for it, but I outfoxed him in the end. Yes...

• @e121 said:

@Samu said:
    Try rebooting your iPad...

Tried that. The sneaky bugger was too smart for it, but I outfoxed him in the end. Yes...

Maybe 'After the Fox'

• edited November 2018

Aaaaaand the file is back.

It’s the lightbulb scene. I forget which one that was in, Strikes Again? Return of?

• edited November 2018

Return of...

Edit: Gah! Neither of these show the light bulb gag. Still funny though.

• I had literally hundreds of such files and folders.
    Some of them did show the app from where i did delete them, others not.
    Some where older than a year!
    I could not delete any of them.
    Neither in those Apps nor directly in the Files App.

I now checked this again, as i wanted to try this trick with changing the date, but most of them are gone!
    I think, this happened after one of the last two iOS updates.

And now, i checked my iPhone, and there are still such files and directories!
    Going to try the date trick at my iPhone today.

• Shot In the dark - but maybe on a browser go to iCloud.com - login and tap on the iCloud Drive icon - there should be a blue link toward the bottom of all your Recently Deleted files - can select Recover/Delete there and see if that works.

• edited November 2018

@Aud_iOS said:
    Shot In the dark...

I took a... Chance... With your suggestion. Didn't work though.

• @e121 hi did you manage to get that file deleted Iam having same issue Re booted ipad etc its still there Annoying

• @stormbeats said:
    @e121 hi did you manage to get that file deleted Iam having same issue Re booted ipad etc its still there Annoying

No it's still there. Doesn't effect anything though, and I pretty much never use the files app, so it's out of sight out of mind. I considered erasing everything and reinstalling all my apps, etc. But decided it just isn't worth it.

• edited January 2019

I don’t want to overstate as I get some good usage out of it when it works and it’s definitely good for iOS but it’s only the kind of delusional myopia having to use apple stuff produces in me (wow yay Apple made a very expensive adapter so I can use usb, amazinnnggg!) that makes be that generous: Files is an abysmal app. When it works great, and the idea (playing catchup to what any cheap pc did much better thirty years ago in a £1000 tablet) is good, but it is riddled with problems I think related to apple’s intransigence and poor design choices in iOS. If you want to shift files around on your iPad it’s great but the moment you need to move stuff around between cloud storage it has a breakdown. So unreliable, constantly crashes goes blank shows no files needs reloading, and hangs file transfers indefinitely (days, weeks), stops recognising Files to be deleted etc.its an app largely for cloud storage that doesn’t work with cloud storage.

• Does anyone know how suspended apps work in iOS? if apps can continue with what they’re doing, for example a download in readdle documents, while in the background? I think if they can’t, and it’s not resolved, it is an issue that means iOS devices will never be able to multitask properly. It’s irritating as you have to suspend all work if transferring or downloading large files if this s the case and that’s just not adequate in a real computing environment. I don’t understand why s this should happen seeing as the AppStore downloads when suspended or te iPad locks up

• edited January 2019

@e121 Hello! Just simply open File app. On Browse page, click "Edit" on the upright side, and then switch OFF every locations including iCloud Drive, On My iPhone/iPad. Now, every file in the Recently Deleted has been removed.

• @wutubeca said:
    @e121 Hello! Just simply open File app. On Browse page, click "Edit" on the upright side, and then switch OFF every locations including iCloud Drive, On My iPhone/iPad. Now, every file in the Recently Deleted has been removed.

@wutubeca thanks thanks thanks for the info It worked :-)

• @wutubeca said:

Happened! Thank!

• @wutubeca said:

That worked! Thanks. If only you were there to help when it was an unhealthy obsession for me. :) Thankfully that obsession was a temporary condition and not a chronic one.

• @e121 said:

@wutubeca said:

That worked! Thanks. If only you were there to help when it was an unhealthy obsession for me. :) Thankfully that obsession was a temporary condition and not a chronic one.

Woohoo!
    That worked for me too.

I suggest editing the title of the post to include “Solved”.

• It could be in another storage system like Google Drive, I have these 3 midi files that show up in my recently deleted but they can’t be deleted.