Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 11“ impressions

Comments

• Pull hard I said.

• @MobileMusic said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Hmtx said:
    I went into the Apple Store to have a look for myself. My first impression of the 11" was surprisingly positive. I've become so accustomed to the giant 12.9 that the 11" seems so compact and small. Both the 11 and the 12.9 look so much more manageable with the smaller bezels. I did not realized at first that the 11" screen size change is actually entirely in the width. They just added 164 pixels to the landscape direction. (11" is now 2388‑by‑1668 and the 10.5" was 2224‑by‑1668.)

One of my first thoughts was "why did they take out the headphone port?" It it pretty obvious when you hold it in your hands... there just isn't room. The bezels are too narrow, meaning there is only about a centimeter of bezel before the headphone jack would be in the space of the screen. Note that every iOS device with a headphone jack also has a bezel that is at least equal in width to the length of a headphone jack. The jack needs that space in the bezel area. There just wouldn't be room to stack the jack and the screen hardware on top of each other without requiring the iOS device to be thicker than the 6.1mm that they have made the new devices.

So... I'm satisfied now. The no-headphone jack issue is problem that has a logical reason. I can see why it is a huge inconvenience for lots of folks who really depended on it for certain scenarios. For me, I'll be glad to adjust when the time comes.

I agree. The removal of the headphone port was needed for the sake of design. I embraced it early on with the 7 Plus then I realized I almost never used the port. Got an iPad Pro 9.7 and again realized I never used it especially since trying to use it as a line input wasn’t the easiest. Now I have a dedicated audio interface I can bring with me wherever since it’s battery powered. Plus the quality sounds better and it’s much louder. Sucks to see it go but I’m not mad about it. I think it’ll be on the Mac line for a while but for the tablet to be a nicely designed as they are something had to give

If the camera could have that bump, so could the headphone jack!

Heck, they could have at least provided a 2.5 mm jack!! That's how the original iPhone was released in 2007 with 2.5 mm.

Bezel is not the reason.

Thinness is the reason lol and then the screen size as well. I’d rather have all the tech inside that’s in it now rather than the 3.5mm port tbh

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@MobileMusic said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Hmtx said:
    I went into the Apple Store to have a look for myself. My first impression of the 11" was surprisingly positive. I've become so accustomed to the giant 12.9 that the 11" seems so compact and small. Both the 11 and the 12.9 look so much more manageable with the smaller bezels. I did not realized at first that the 11" screen size change is actually entirely in the width. They just added 164 pixels to the landscape direction. (11" is now 2388‑by‑1668 and the 10.5" was 2224‑by‑1668.)

One of my first thoughts was "why did they take out the headphone port?" It it pretty obvious when you hold it in your hands... there just isn't room. The bezels are too narrow, meaning there is only about a centimeter of bezel before the headphone jack would be in the space of the screen. Note that every iOS device with a headphone jack also has a bezel that is at least equal in width to the length of a headphone jack. The jack needs that space in the bezel area. There just wouldn't be room to stack the jack and the screen hardware on top of each other without requiring the iOS device to be thicker than the 6.1mm that they have made the new devices.

So... I'm satisfied now. The no-headphone jack issue is problem that has a logical reason. I can see why it is a huge inconvenience for lots of folks who really depended on it for certain scenarios. For me, I'll be glad to adjust when the time comes.

I agree. The removal of the headphone port was needed for the sake of design. I embraced it early on with the 7 Plus then I realized I almost never used the port. Got an iPad Pro 9.7 and again realized I never used it especially since trying to use it as a line input wasn’t the easiest. Now I have a dedicated audio interface I can bring with me wherever since it’s battery powered. Plus the quality sounds better and it’s much louder. Sucks to see it go but I’m not mad about it. I think it’ll be on the Mac line for a while but for the tablet to be a nicely designed as they are something had to give

Heck, they could have at least provided a 2.5 mm jack!! That's how the original iPhone was released in 2007 with 2.5 mm.

Bezel is not the reason.

Thinness is the reason lol and then the screen size as well. I’d rather have all the tech inside that’s in it now rather than the 3.5mm port tbh

iPad Pro 2018 - the most bendable Apple product to date:

Why is Apple so obsessed with being the thinnest? There is no point in making a product thinner that was already thin enough! Instead of 5.9mm, why not 6mm or 6.5mm or even 7mm, so we would get even more tech inside it - including a larger battery, expandable memory, fully-functional USB-C, headphone jack, a 2nd USB-C/MIDI port, TouchID (in the rear maybe) and what not? Now we have to lift the iPad Pro to unlock with Face ID and it may drain battery from scanning everything that comes in front of it while being locked. It is analogous to those automated phone systems that respond to only voice prompts when we call our bank so others could over-hear our sensitive info from our voice commands - or websites that let us sign up using only Google/Twitter/Facebook! In addition to Face ID, the extra TouchID could have been cool as it doesn't need us to lift the device. It's a Pro - but not a full Pro. If they removed the jack from iPhone to make it waterproof (and sell us more Air Pods) - understandable. How can anyone possibly drop an iPad PRO into a toilet? Does an iPad need to be waterproof? They did not claim it as waterproof yet. :smiley:

• edited November 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@MobileMusic said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Hmtx said:

Bezel is not the reason.

iPad Pro 2018 - the most bendable Apple product to date:

Why is Apple so obsessed with being the thinnest? There is no point in making a product thinner that was already thin enough! Instead of 5.9mm, why not 6mm or 6.5mm or even 7mm, so we would get even more tech inside it - including a larger battery, expandable memory, fully-functional USB-C, headphone jack, a 2nd USB-C/MIDI port, TouchID (in the rear maybe) and what not? Now we have to lift the iPad Pro to unlock with Face ID and it may drain battery from scanning everything that comes in front of it while being locked. It is analogous to those automated phone systems that respond to only voice prompts when we call our bank so others could over-hear our sensitive info from our voice commands - or websites that let us sign up using only Google/Twitter/Facebook! In addition to Face ID, the extra TouchID could have been cool as it doesn't need us to lift the device. It's a Pro - but not a full Pro. If they removed the jack from iPhone to make it waterproof (and sell us more Air Pods) - understandable. How can anyone possibly drop an iPad PRO into a toilet? Does an iPad need to be waterproof? They did not claim it as waterproof yet. :smiley:

A thicker device usually is a heavier device right? No one wants a heavy ass tablet lol. Plus a lighter device means we will hold it and use it more. And I don’t care about the bending thing because once glass is broken on any device it becomes significantly weaker. The Face ID thing is constantly blown out of proportion about when its scanning. It’s only active when at the lock screen and when the device is unlocked so it doesn’t dim while you’re on it. I mean I saw the headphone jack leaving anyway once it left the 7 Plus. Thought it was a big deal but realized it wasn’t from own experience. TouchID in the rear on the back is awful. I hate it and its ugly. Imagine having a case with a hole in it just for fingerprint reading. The iPad isn’t water resistant either.

• @MobileMusic said:
    Why is Apple so obsessed with being the thinnest?

Seriously, you should stop using or buying Apple products. Judging by your suggestions, they won’t make you happy, ever.

If you haven’t noticed by now, Apple won’t stop until all of their devices are as thin and light as a sheet of paper. And that’s a good thing.

• edited November 2018

Yesterday I got my new Folio covers. (The iPads won't be here for a couple of weeks still.) Comparing the 12.9 cover to my current one really shows how much smaller it got. The comparison pictures didn't really convey just how much was reduced. Can't wait!

• The 10,5” iPad was a lemon, so is the 11”. The quality of the hardware on these devices is down the toilet. Remember when we could throw an iPad across a room and don’t give a shit cos the hardware was just that good? Fast forward a few years and things were obviously bound to evolve (and we could no longer throw iPads across a room, but that’s totally fine, they were never meant to fly). Fast forward to the last two iPads, you can’t even drop these fuckers on your face and expect the screens to survive. How bad is that? Oh and they removed the OIS along with the 3,5mm by the way, didn’t they? But hey, it’s moar thin!

• Yikes that drop test is disconcerting for such an expensive device. What’s the point of going so incredibly thin and light (with the accompanying lack of room for useful ports) if you have to wrap it with a heavy, thick case to protect it from what are very foreseeable events? I’d be terrified to carry that thing around. Apple is obviously confident that there are enough true-fans who can afford to shell out $500 per waist-height drop, but sadly, I don’t fall in that demographic. ;)

• edited November 2018

@Tovokas said:
    Yikes that drop test is disconcerting for such an expensive device. What’s the point of going so incredibly thin and light (with the accompanying lack of room for useful ports) if you have to wrap it with a heavy, thick case to protect it from what are very foreseeable events? I’d be terrified to carry that thing around. Apple is obviously confident that there are enough true-fans who can afford to shell out $500 per waist-height drop, but sadly, I don’t fall in that demographic. ;)

Well....Apple have a repair program which now costs in such a case almost the same as a brand new iPad.
    I’m also for nice design and such but with this expensive devices which are not meant to last long people make it thick with protector cases or otherwise people are scared to take them anywhere outside i wonder when it starts to loose the „mobile“ factor.
    In some years when the average iPad cost 2k people might look again for less style but cheap and stable solutions.

• edited November 2018

@Max23 said:
    geekbench 4
    wow apples chip designers are on fire

Yeah Max, but this time next year, we’ll have speeds doubled again, or tripled, who knows...
    iPad 2019, for sure the first iPad that is so thin you can shave yourself with it.
    iPad 2020, I reckon it’s so paper thin you can use it as toilet paper, if your rich enough.
    Beyond that, Tim didn’t say after a bottle of Jägermeister in his Roman bath... ;-)

• @ChrisG said:
    The 10,5” iPad was a lemon, so is the 11”. The quality of the hardware on these devices is down the toilet. Remember when we could throw an iPad across a room and don’t give a shit cos the hardware was just that good? Fast forward a few years and things were obviously bound to evolve (and we could no longer throw iPads across a room, but that’s totally fine, they were never meant to fly). Fast forward to the last two iPads, you can’t even drop these fuckers on your face and expect the screens to survive. How bad is that? Oh and they removed the OIS along with the 3,5mm by the way, didn’t they? But hey, it’s moar thin!

No complaints about the 10.5 here. To me, an iPad is a magic device from the future that I neither anticipated or deserve. I handle it accordingly.

• edited November 2018

@whiteout said:

@MobileMusic said:
    Why is Apple so obsessed with being the thinnest?

Seriously, you should stop using or buying Apple products. Judging by your suggestions, they won’t make you happy, ever.

Why would I not buy Apple products? I love Apple products (otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum) but I also indulge in healthy criticism :smile: If the iPad now is 1 pound, it doesn't hurt anyone if it was 1.2 pounds that offered more sturdiness. Would it make any difference in our hand if it was 5.9mm or 7mm thick?

As the maker of GarageBand and Logic Pro, Apple hasn't listened to what the vast majority of musicians desired - to retain the headphone jack on the iPad. At the least, before getting rid of it, they could have perfected the Bluetooth technology to minimize or eliminate the lag.

If you haven’t noticed by now, Apple won’t stop until all of their devices are as thin and light as a sheet of paper. And that’s a good thing.

I'll be the first in the line when the iPad becomes paper-thin - but Apple should also make it flexible before they make it that thin (and not make the same hasty mistake they did with the jack) so it could be rolled up, bent and folded without causing any damage - otherwise, it will crack like a biscuit! I won't be able to hold it in my hand and use it if it becomes paper-thin though and have to find ways to use it on the go, while standing, etc. No one would have complained of the thinness of the current iPad if it was also flexible. Not everything Apple designs is optimal - some are just silly like the Pencil 1 charging method (sticking it into the lightning port - an accident waiting to happen - instead of using a flexible cord), AirPods without a string that holds them together - to name a few.

Not making fun of Apple's thin products but just some precautions while packing it in a backpack or leaving it on a couch so no one sits on it accidentally because it won't survive. A very funny video on iPad Pro and Pencil 2 (hurts to watch the merciless rampage from the get go):

iPad Pro Bend Test! - Be gentle with Apple's new iPad and Pencil 2
    Jerry Rig Everything

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/11/16/18098535/apple-ipad-pro-2018-bend-test-video-jerryrigeverything

• I love it.

Got mine yesterday after selling my best friend my pro 10.5 and putting a moderate amount on top. I think it’s pretty well crafted and yeah you can bend it, but I don’t do it. So I dont have much problems with this. Got a case from Amazong which is not fitting nicely atm. Maybe I will have to wait a but for some new cases. There is no way in the world I would ever spent nearly 100€ for an apple cover, haha. Who does that?

Anyway, I have in many many many apps some cracklings which are super annoying and really loud actually. I know there is somewhere a thread, but I haven’t found it anymore. What am I missing? The 10.5 didn’t make any cracklings and was not that powerful like this 11inch powerhouse!?! Started new didn’t do the trick. Hmmm. Thanks for advices.

• @david_2017 said:
    Anyway, I have in many many many apps some cracklings which are super annoying and really loud actually. I know there is somewhere a thread, but I haven’t found it anymore.

This thread probably.

Do the internal speakers crackle with Gadget?

• @MobileMusic said:
    If the iPad now is 1 pound, it doesn't hurt anyone if it was 1.2 pounds that offered more sturdiness. Would it make any difference in our hand if it was 5.9mm or 7mm thick?

Um, very much so. I realize that’s not really fair to Apple, but for me the iPad is still far too thick and heavy. Ymmv, of course.

As the maker of GarageBand and Logic Pro, Apple hasn't listened to what the vast majority of musicians desired - to retain the headphone jack on the iPad.

Do you have any data on that or is this just your assumption? Because I don’t believe this to be true. Musicians worth their money have always used an external audio interface or IDAM. Sure, sometimes it’s handy to connect your „old“ headphones. Just buy an adapter for $10 and move on.

I‘m old enough to remember not buying a cheap MFB synth in the early aughts because every single pro music producer I’ve talked to warned me about the shitty 3.5 mm jack. And don’t get me started on the cables or the connectors respectively.

At the least, before getting rid of it, they could have perfected the Bluetooth technology to minimize or eliminate the lag.

It’s not only about the lag, it’s about compression as well. Apple is, it seems to me, still somewhat struggling to figure out what the iPad really is all about (is it a drawing pad? An office PC replacement? A mobile gaming device? ...). It’s frustrating, I know, but the needs of professional or even semi-pro musicians are somewhere near the bottom of Apple‘s priorities list. Let’s face it, pro audio is a niche market. Why should they „perfect“ a standard meant for streaming mp3s or taking calls? Apart from the fact that Bluetooth isn’t a proprietary Apple standard they can change at will.

A very funny video on iPad Pro and Pencil 2 (hurts to watch the merciless rampage from the get go):

I’d rather gouge my eyes out than to click on another bendgate YouTube video or article. I’ve happily used my iPad Air 2 for 4 years without a case and without being too careful (I’ve posted a corresponding bendgate article earlier) and I’ve used my back pocket to carry around and sit on my iPhone 6 while I was testing it for a few months back in the day. Never had a problem.

The thing is: there may very well be a structural problem with the new iPads! I don’t know! (Although it’s unlikely, based on my experience). But those youtubers sure as hell won’t tell you, hammering away randomly and declaring The End of Apple for the nth time.

• But Logic seems still to be one of their best sellers in the (mac) app store and getting still used by pros around the world.
    Not sure but i wouldn‘t say Apple don‘t care about (pro) music. Maybe even more than the average iOS developer.

• @david_2017 said:
    Anyway, I have in many many many apps some cracklings which are super annoying and really loud actually.

This could be the sample rate problem @R_2 pointed to. I haven’t experienced it myself. However, my setup, i.e. BM3, mostly with Model 15, Zeeon, Model D, is crackling when using a buffer below 512 samples. I’m hoping this is caused by apps not optimized for the new iPads, especially the 11“. We‘ll see in a few weeks or months, I guess.

• @Cib said:
    But Logic seems still to be one of their best sellers in the (mac) app store and getting still used by pros around the world.

Well yeah, but only on macOS.

And don’t forget, it wasn’t even their product initially. Apple bought Logic from Emagic and had considerable problems keeping it up to date, apparently because the code base was old and ugly (afaik and iirc, I’ve never been a Logic user, but had friends who switched to Cubase SX).

Not sure but i wouldn‘t say Apple don‘t care about (pro) music. Maybe even more than the average iOS developer.

They care, but not enough imho. In particular, I’ll never forgive Apple for their strategical errors which lead to the fragmentation of iOS audio and hindered progress for far too many years. First they allowed Audiobus, which used an ugly/elegant hack, to connect separate apps, then they said Nah, let’s develop a new IAA standard (which was just the worst, as far as I’m concerned), then they finally adopted AUv3 (v1), but made it hard, if not impossible in some cases, for developers to use. Now with v2 we’re slowly getting into stable territory, but we’re still not quite there yet. If Apple had really cared for pro musicians, we could’ve avoided most of that.

That being said, I still think iPads are truly fascinating devices — with a lot of untapped potential. It’s fun, sometimes more, sometimes less, to watch Apple figuring it out :smiley:

• My Pro 11" doesn't feel any less sturdy than my 10.5 or Air2 did. You can bend all of them if you really wanted to, but it takes a LOT of force. I think people are blowing this way out proportion personally.

• So, what did we learn from the Jerry Rig Everything test? If you try to scratch it with a sharp blade, it scratches. If you try to bend it by forcefully bending it, it bends.

No shit! :D

• One question: sometimes if you plug an interface into the lightning port of an iPad or iPhone you get this weird latency that can only be fixed by temporarily plugging and unplugging something else into the headphone jack.

So has anyone experienced this latency issue with the new generation Pros? And if so how do you fix it without the headphone socket hack.

• @richardyot said:
    One question: sometimes if you plug an interface into the lightning port of an iPad or iPhone you get this weird latency that can only be fixed by temporarily plugging and unplugging something else into the headphone jack.

So has anyone experienced this latency issue with the new generation Pros? And if so how do you fix it without the headphone socket hack.

Never experienced this before

• Me neither, sounds almost like it might be interface specific and not an iOS problem.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@richardyot said:
    One question: sometimes if you plug an interface into the lightning port of an iPad or iPhone you get this weird latency that can only be fixed by temporarily plugging and unplugging something else into the headphone jack.

Never experienced this before

It was a pretty common problem at one time, but maybe it got fixed with an iOS update.

• edited November 2018

@Beathoven said:
    So, what did we learn from the Jerry Rig Everything test? If you try to scratch it with a sharp blade, it scratches. If you try to bend it by forcefully bending it, it bends.

No shit! :D

I sat on my Air 2 with black case left on my black leather couch, for - I don’t even remember how many times in the last 4 years - nothing happened to it yet. I pack it in the backpack and it gets roughed up at times and nothing happened to it yet. With the new Pro we should be more cautious - Folio cases cover only front and rear and leave its sides exposed. I need to buy the new Pro this year when it becomes available in the stores in the 1st week of Dec and need to train myself not to leave it on the couch and be more gentle :smile:

• edited November 2018

If somebody drops a baby on their head, that probably wouldn't be a good thing and the baby might perhaps suffer permanent damage from that.

If somebody buys a pricey tablet, then treat it nicely. Treat an expensive piece of thin glass and metal as if it were a baby. That's just common sense.

My latest iPad is the 10.5 Pro, and it's great. Never had any issues with that or any prior iPads in terms of bending or breaking. I tend to treat my musical and computer gear nicely. I don't go throwing around my basses or guitars either or smashing them onto the ground.

And no, I don't want iPads to become thicker. I want them to become even thinner and lighter.

If somebody wants a thick and heavier iPad, then go put it inside a thick and heavy duty case, and others who like the iPad as it is can use it without any case or cover, which is how I use mine.

It's quite obvious which direction Apple is heading towards, and if anybody hasn't understood the plot yet, then they should probably jump off of the Apple eco system, because they will never be happy.

• I was in an apple store today and again played with a 12.9" and 11" side by side. Some days ago i thought i def. would go for the 12.9" but i think the 11" is the better form factor for me when i think how i would use it.
    Also it has to handle less pixels with the same GPU, CPU and RAM so it might perform better (if it doesn´t thermal throttle much more).
    Now since NS2 is close and the iPhone version some months away i think again about an 11".
    But in the store i saw some problems with the GUI...even with Garage Band.
    I actually like the form a bit more, especially if you also watch videos or hold it in one hand over your head.
    The 12.9" is better flat on the table or laying on your legs but not comfortable to hold over your face while laying on the couch (my workflow with iOS production :) ).
    So while my interest is still very high i´m holding back because of the audio cpu issues it seems to have for some people and performs worse than older iPads. On Gearslutz there are some people mention it as well.
    Also i saw gaming performances also seems to be worse in some cases.
    It might get updated and all get solved but for now it´s not quite the amazing performance Apple says it have....at least for real.time audio processing.
    So are you happy now with your iPad Pro 11"?

• I was all set to get an 11 inch Pro on Black Friday, but in the end opted for a refurb 10.5. Too many things put me off the newer model, firstly the reported CPU spikes, which will probably get fixed, but there is just the nagging doubt that maybe they won't. Then the lack of headphone jack, meaning a dongle needs to be permanently attached. and finally the loss the Lightning Port, which means I have to rethink all my accessories and get a hub just to play my MIDI keyboard while listening via headphones. The refurb 10.5 was £300 cheaper for the same storage, it just seemed a better deal.

I think the only thing which is unambiguously better on the new models is the Pencil, especially the magnetic charging. Otherwise too much hassle and additional expense involved with the new model for me.

• I would like to hear from developers in which scenarios can we utilise the power of multi core performance, if at all.
    I mean air2 (3 cores), pro10.5 (3 cores), pro11 (4+4 cores) - is it an OS restriction that none? of the current apps can utilise these cores? For more complex apps like DAWs it sure would make sense to do so.
    I know benchmarks don't translate well to actual use, but the single core performance increases are probably going to be less and less in the following years, so real performance boost is likely to come from multi core use.

That's 20% performance boost on single core vs almost 100% on multi.

Can someone smarter than me please explain if it's worth investing in these new "laptop beaters"? I want to believe :smiley:

• edited November 2018

Right now I am sitting with a brand new IPAD 2018 9.7" 128GB in the box (sealed), however I am having second thoughts before opening (can still return) - wondering if the new IPAD Pro 11" is worth it?

Besides the extra real estate on 11", my primary purpose is to try the Auria Pro with Fabfilter apps on sale on this new device. Will the 9.7 work well with Auria, more Midi instruments - Pianos Samples etc. and fx?

I have saved and could get the new Pro 11" however is it that much more performance than the one I have in my hand right now?

I am thinking primarily for running Auria Pro. I know the 2018 IPAD 9.7 also has 2GB Ram whereas the new IPAD Pro 11" has 4 GB. Argh - Am I just getting older, is it the internet that has too many options? Having hard time deciding - lol..

Is the 2018 IPAD 9.7 that far off in performance? Would love to get your thoughts. I don't want to spend $ if there is marginal performance.

Thanks!