Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 11“ impressions

Comments

• edited November 2018

@whiteout said:
    @ocelot @crony Damn, I ran those tests with a buffer size of....1024 samples without noticing :neutral: Thanks for asking this rather important question.

Oha!
    Thanks a lot for mentioning it @whiteout ! 😊

I‘m sorry for not noticing earlier. It seems I’ve checked every little detail of the new 11“ but for the buffer size. lol, facepalm etc pp. I’m getting old.

Honestly I forgot also to check the buffer size, many times and then I’m wondering... 😎

• What’s wrong with 1024?

• @chandroji said:

@whiteout said:
    @ocelot @crony Damn, I ran those tests with a buffer size of....1024 samples without noticing :neutral: Thanks for asking this rather important question.

Oha!
    Thanks a lot for mentioning it @whiteout ! 😊

I‘m sorry for not noticing earlier. It seems I’ve checked every little detail of the new 11“ but for the buffer size. lol, facepalm etc pp. I’m getting old.

Honestly I forgot also to check the buffer size, many times and then I’m wondering... 😎

Well, I guess the good news, at least for me personally, is that apparently I got used to relatively high latencies over the years. I didn’t notice a thing.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    What’s wrong with 1024?

It’s definitely important to mention it for fair comparisons. But I don’t think I’ll change it, I have no issues with 1024.

• @whiteout said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    What’s wrong with 1024?

It’s definitely important to mention it for fair comparisons. But I don’t think I’ll change it, I have no issues with 1024.

Ah ok. I use 1024 90% of the time. Only time I don’t is when trying to use LayR which crashes or doesn’t work at all at 1024

• edited November 2018

Nothing wrong with 1024, except if you want to use a looper with a guitar or a voice, in that case 512 might be acceptable for studio takes, but quite often have to be timing fixed in the final mix, 256 is workable, 128 is great , 64 is the top notch...

With my actual needs, with an iPAD 11 I have no doubts it would allow me to go to 256, not sure about 128...

• I work mostly with 512 or also 1024 if i need a not layered pads or stuff. But also sometimes 256, 128 or even 64 is needed for playing live percussive sounds or drums etc.
    Some instruments seems to even work not well with 1024 for some reasons.
    512 is the best for me in general for a lot instruments and still fast enough in most cases....on mac and iOS.

• edited November 2018

Been using all my apps with 256 samples rate since last wednesday and didn't notice any crackle at all. Well, Zeeon actually does some but I think it's because it needs an update more than anything cause when used as AUv3 in Auria, no more crackle at all.

The new ipad pro is over the top beasty material.

• @whiteout said:

Turns out I can’t run a single crackle free instance of Model D with a 256 samples buffer in BM3 right now. My project from yesterday (2 Model 15s, 3 Zeeons, 1 Ruismaker Noir, some FX plugins) runs ok-ish with a buffer of 512, but glitches from time to time. So, not really ok.

There must be something wrong then or needs to be optimized because even my iPhone 6S plus can handle a few Model D within Garage Band.
    Maybe it´s the DAW or there is running really too much on one core.
    I wish there was something like activity monitor for iOS.
    Sometimes i even wish i could use 2048 or 4096 samples for sounds which doesn´t need fast response.
    But it also depends at what sample rate your project is running. F.e. using the same buffer but 96Khz instead of 48 (or 44.1) will get you half the latency but uses more cpu.

• @Cib said:

@whiteout said:

Turns out I can’t run a single crackle free instance of Model D with a 256 samples buffer in BM3 right now. My project from yesterday (2 Model 15s, 3 Zeeons, 1 Ruismaker Noir, some FX plugins) runs ok-ish with a buffer of 512, but glitches from time to time. So, not really ok.

There must be something wrong then or needs to be optimized because even my iPhone 6S plus can handle a few Model D within Garage Band.
    Sometimes i even wish i could use 2048 or 4096 samples for sounds which doesn´t need fast response.
    But it also depends at what sample rate your project is running. F.e. using the same buffer but 96Khz instead of 48 (or 44.1) will get you half the latency but uses more cpu.

1024 sample latency doesn't feel as slow on iOS compared to PC.
    And all one 1 core on the iPad. Remember how long it took software to work efficiently with Intel Hyper-Threading and eventually multi-core CPUs, not to mention 64 bit OSes. But it looks like iOS needs a re-write first. Maybe that's what Apple is working on now - AppleOS = MacOS + iOS. Thanks @whiteout

4096 would be a welcome option when mixing and mastering without having to freeze, though some plugins have issues with that high of a latency.

• @ocelot said:

@Cib said:

@whiteout said:

1024 sample latency doesn't feel as slow on iOS compared to PC.
    And all one 1 core on the iPad. Remember how long it took software to work efficiently with Intel Hyper-Threading and eventually multi-core CPUs, not to mention 64 bit OSes. But it looks like iOS needs a re-write first. Maybe that's what Apple is working on now - AppleOS = MacOS + iOS. Thanks @whiteout

4096 would be a welcome option when mixing and mastering without having to freeze, though some plugins have issues with that high of a latency.

1024 is the same latency for me on iOS and mac. No different here. Don‘t know about PC.
    But didn‘t Apple mention that all 8 cores can be used together. So maybe it‘s up to DAW‘s and apps to support multi-core?
    However, that needs to be adressed, otherwise the mighty A12X is a waste on paper.

• Mac..so much easier. On PC, it depended on the audio interface, the quality of its drivers, and how well they got along with the DAW. It's gotten better, but there was a time when 256 samples felt like 1024+ on a different audio interface. Centrance made a good audio driver loopback tester, LatencyMon, etc. So many types of PC audio drivers: ASIO, WASAPI, WDM/KS...plus the onboard audio on most Windows laptops stunk, so you couldn't just run ASIO4ALL and expect low latency with no dropouts, unlike on Mac or iOS.

• Apple knows that the A12x is a powerful beast, and that iOS is way behind, so are they going to overhaul iOS, or make a new OS that combines MacOS + iOS, or...?

Plus moving to A-series CPUs from Intel on Macs would mean lots of work for software developers.

It reminds me of all the bumps that happened in the PC world within a short period of time:
    After Windows XP, came Vista with it's totally rewritten multimedia engine (DirectX) - LOTS of problems for not only gamers, but musicians and artists too. Software and drivers were really bad during this time.

And also around this time came Intel's HT multi-threading CPUs and later the multi-core CPUs. Software again had to be heavily revised or rewritten to run efficiently on these new CPUs. (Multi-threading AND multi-processing).

Then everything had to be rewritten AGAIN to run on 64-bit OSes.

Lots of VSTs still only run on 1 core, but the hosts were updated to make use of the other cores for the audio engine, mixer...

It's different, but sort of the same kind of crossroads for Apple.

• Hello guys anyone got LayR?coudl some one please do a test with some performance presets and see how many Au tracks you can get?

• Not loving hearing about the increased ability to bend. I’ve been super mindful with my 10.5 iPad and just discovered on a 12 hour flight that it is slightly bent and that caused a component to poke at the screen causing a smudge that looks like a flashlight is pointed on it. Always had a case on it too wtf. Super annoying to read on now.

Apple store in Tokyo and in the states both told me any bend damage isn’t covered by Apple Care. They want 499 the same price as out of warranty repairs. Miffed to say the least..

• @bounce said:
    Not loving hearing about the increased ability to bend.

Just ignore it. This is the same BS as every year, tailored to generate the maximum amount of clicks. The 11“ feels sturdier than the Air 2*, if that’s even possible. Of course it will bend when you apply too much pressure, but...d‘oh.

*Bendgate continues with the iPad Air 2, and it's far worse than we've ever imagined. A new YouTube video reveals WE‘RE ALL GONNA DIE!!1!
    https://mashable.com/2014/10/24/ipad-air-2-bendgate/

• One of the most underrated features of the new Face ID iPads are the „attention-aware features“. Basically it means you can just stare at your iPad, thinking about what to do next with your arrangement, your modular patch or the complicated paragraph you’ve just read but didn’t quite grasp, and as long as your face is in the frame, the display won’t shut off.

It’s very subtle — you tend to not notice things that don’t happen — but it’s a great little detail I didn’t even know existed. (iPhones had this feature since last year, but when I googled it I only found articles describing how to disable it for some BS reason. Oh well.)

• @alecsbuga said:
    I managed to connect the MK3 to my iPad Pro 10" (2nd gen) but unfortunately Maschine is not a Core Compliant Midi controller. It needs drivers.

Luckily, the Deluge does work :D

@alecsbuga Hi, brand new here but a long time Deluge user. Am I correct in reading that the MK3 only needs a single usb cable to connect to the Deluge? The need for an adapter and hub for the MK2 was putting me off getting and ipad to control with the Deluge.

• I think he meant that the iPad connected to the Deluge just fine, not the MK3.

• Ah sorry, misunderstood. I thought Mk3 referred to 2018 ipad pros. It is the deluge and the ipad I want connected, didn't get the Maschine reference.

• I'd be curious, in AUM, how many Kymatica's AUFX effects at 64-samples buffer the A12X can do before the rice krispies kick in... ?

• edited November 2018

Thanks for the info. I’m incredibly frustrated, personally. At the risk of retreading a topic that’s been beat to death already, I just will not buy another device without a headphone jack. I know...I know...bash me for not keeping up with the time or whatever... When I upgraded my phone to the 7plus a couple of years back, I thought I knew what I was getting into. I did not. From my very earliest days in iOS music, I fell in love with the portability of it. Wherever I could carry my guitar and my apogee jam and my phone, I could plug in my headphones and write music. I felt completely liberated and found myself in places I couldn’t go before to find creativity like the beach or a park. It was so easy. Of corse I realized right away that was over when I got the 7plus. No headphone jack meant the apogee jam was now an iPad only device (and that thing wasn’t exactly cheap, so that kind of chapped me a little...sure, I should have seen it coming, but I didn’t). But...at least I could use it with the iPad. Now my trips meant a backpack to carry the iPad, and a location where I could sit the iPad down safely, but still doable at least. This was just one experience. There have been a series of let downs as a result of the headphone jack removal, but this one still pisses me off. So I’ve decided to absolutely not buy another device that doesn’t have a headphone jack. There’s no reason to remove it from a decide like the iPad at all. None. I have the money to buy a new iPad now too. More than enough for even the big guy if I wanted to. But that’s the problem...I don’t want to anymore. Sucks because I do see the writing on the wall. I know there’s no putting that genie back in the bottle. I realize there’s an event horizon ahead of me, and I haven’t really confronted what I’m going to do when I get to it, but for now I’m simply saying no thanks.
    /rant

• edited November 2018

I went into the Apple Store to have a look for myself. My first impression of the 11" was surprisingly positive. I've become so accustomed to the giant 12.9 that the 11" seems so compact and small. Both the 11 and the 12.9 look so much more manageable with the smaller bezels. I did not realized at first that the 11" screen size change is actually entirely in the width. They just added 164 pixels to the landscape direction. (11" is now 2388‑by‑1668 and the 10.5" was 2224‑by‑1668.)

One of my first thoughts was "why did they take out the headphone port?" It is pretty obvious when you hold it in your hands... there just isn't room. The bezels are too narrow, meaning there is only about a centimeter of bezel before the headphone jack would be in the space of the screen. Note that every iOS device with a headphone jack also has a bezel that is at least equal in width to the length of a headphone jack. The jack needs that space in the bezel area. There just wouldn't be room to stack the jack and the screen hardware on top of each other without requiring the iOS device to be thicker than the 6.1mm that they have made the new devices.

So... I'm satisfied now. The no-headphone jack issue is a problem that has a logical reason. I can see why it is a huge inconvenience for lots of folks who really depended on it for certain scenarios. For me, I'll be glad to adjust when the time comes.

• @Hmtx said:
    I went into the Apple Store to have a look for myself. My first impression of the 11" was surprisingly positive. I've become so accustomed to the giant 12.9 that the 11" seems so compact and small. Both the 11 and the 12.9 look so much more manageable with the smaller bezels. I did not realized at first that the 11" screen size change is actually entirely in the width. They just added 164 pixels to the landscape direction. (11" is now 2388‑by‑1668 and the 10.5" was 2224‑by‑1668.)

One of my first thoughts was "why did they take out the headphone port?" It it pretty obvious when you hold it in your hands... there just isn't room. The bezels are too narrow, meaning there is only about a centimeter of bezel before the headphone jack would be in the space of the screen. Note that every iOS device with a headphone jack also has a bezel that is at least equal in width to the length of a headphone jack. The jack needs that space in the bezel area. There just wouldn't be room to stack the jack and the screen hardware on top of each other without requiring the iOS device to be thicker than the 6.1mm that they have made the new devices.

So... I'm satisfied now. The no-headphone jack issue is problem that has a logical reason. I can see why it is a huge inconvenience for lots of folks who really depended on it for certain scenarios. For me, I'll be glad to adjust when the time comes.

I agree. The removal of the headphone port was needed for the sake of design. I embraced it early on with the 7 Plus then I realized I almost never used the port. Got an iPad Pro 9.7 and again realized I never used it especially since trying to use it as a line input wasn’t the easiest. Now I have a dedicated audio interface I can bring with me wherever since it’s battery powered. Plus the quality sounds better and it’s much louder. Sucks to see it go but I’m not mad about it. I think it’ll be on the Mac line for a while but for the tablet to be a nicely designed as they are something had to give

• Some more impressions after a bit of use the last week:

• I do find that I tend to cover the FaceID camera a lot when I first pick up the iPad, since I mainy use it in landscape mode. I see that little arrow reminder a lot :)
    • The glass itself feels different than other iPads to me, almost like there's more resistance to sliding your finger on it. On the plus side, glare is way down and fingerprints aren't sticking as much as on my well worn 10.5" Pro. Not sure if that's due to the newness of it or not.
    • Damn this thing is fast, running some pretty busy and complex KEW projects today and it didn't even flinch or show any signs of sluggishness.
    • The USB-C port is a bit tight, even with Apple's cables and adaptors. I have to pull pretty hard sometimes to remove a cable.
    • Letterboxed apps definitely detract from the new screen size.
    • I can't wait for iPhones next year so all my computers will be using USB-C. Dammit Apple, you win this round.
  • iPad Pro 12.9" teardown:

iPad Pro 10.5" teardown:

iPad Pro 11" teardown:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Pro+11-Inch+Teardown/115457

• edited November 2018

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Hmtx said:

One of my first thoughts was "why did they take out the headphone port?" It it pretty obvious when you hold it in your hands... there just isn't room. The bezels are too narrow, meaning there is only about a centimeter of bezel before the headphone jack would be in the space of the screen. Note that every iOS device with a headphone jack also has a bezel that is at least equal in width to the length of a headphone jack. The jack needs that space in the bezel area. There just wouldn't be room to stack the jack and the screen hardware on top of each other without requiring the iOS device to be thicker than the 6.1mm that they have made the new devices.

So... I'm satisfied now. The no-headphone jack issue is problem that has a logical reason. I can see why it is a huge inconvenience for lots of folks who really depended on it for certain scenarios. For me, I'll be glad to adjust when the time comes.

I agree. The removal of the headphone port was needed for the sake of design. I embraced it early on with the 7 Plus then I realized I almost never used the port. Got an iPad Pro 9.7 and again realized I never used it especially since trying to use it as a line input wasn’t the easiest. Now I have a dedicated audio interface I can bring with me wherever since it’s battery powered. Plus the quality sounds better and it’s much louder. Sucks to see it go but I’m not mad about it. I think it’ll be on the Mac line for a while but for the tablet to be a nicely designed as they are something had to give

If the camera could have that bump, so could the headphone jack!

Heck, they could have at least provided a 2.5 mm jack!! That's how the original iPhone was released in 2007 with 2.5 mm.

Bezel is not the reason.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2018

@Max23 said:

@MobileMusic said: Bezel is not the reason.

apple wants to sell AirPods 🙄

Correct. And iCloud storage :smiley:

They should hire me

• edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.