Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mellowsound, new app by Fingerlab

Comments

• Try restoring iap in mellowsound’
    Maybe that’s what you’ve already done?😉😉

• @LeonKowalski said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    If you hit “Restore Purchases” it will unlock the IAP for free ...

If I have purchased it before?

No, it just unlocked the IAP for me, someone suggested doing it on another blog. Attempting to alert the Dev ...

• @flo26 said:
    Try restoring iap in mellowsound’
    Maybe that’s what you’ve already done?😉😉

Hmm, no. I just bought it. 😇

• @TheVimFuego said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    If you hit “Restore Purchases” it will unlock the IAP for free ...

If I have purchased it before?

No, it just unlocked the IAP for me, someone suggested doing it on another blog. Attempting to alert the Dev ...

Oh-kay, as flo26 pointed out, maybe we were talking about different things here. My bad. So, which app are you talking about?🤔

• @LeonKowalski said:

How does it compare?

Okay, let‘s compare: (beware: I‘m not a native english speaker)

First look: I love the design. It looks very ... err ... friendly 🙄

UI: Nice and simple. Similarities to Manetron, very different to M3000 and Mellotron XL, which are a bit more complicated and awkward (M3000) and / or extremely ugly (MXL)

Sounds: More than Manetron, Not as many as MXL and M3000, which have loads of them (and in case of M3000 even more in some quite expensive IAP packs)

Sound quality: Well, this is purely personal taste. The sounds of Mellowsound are fine and useable. The harp is nice, haven‘t found it elsewhere. The strings sound a bit too dry and clean, and I would like to have more different types of them (for me the Mellotron is all about the string patches, like in classic prog rock)

To compare specifically, I took the Cello patches, which belong to my favourite Mellotron sounds, and, surprise, there is a cello patch in every app. Second surprise: They all sound different.
    My (Cello sound only) ranking from best to worse:
    1. Mellotron XL: Expressive and gritty
    2. Manetron: Quite good overall
    3. Mellowsound: Warm, but a bit dry and flat
    4. M3000: Surprisingly weak and without punch, but still useable

With other sounds, it‘s difficult to compare. Manetron and M3000 sound a bit more vintage (grammophone sound?), MXL has more punch.

FX: No fx in MXL,
    Manetron: Reverb only (very vintage sounding)
    M3000: Reverb only (sounds like a cave, I don‘t like it, but it’s tweakable for size, amount and tone)
    Mellowsound: Tremolo, very nice; Delay, not very good, Reverb, not very good either. I will use external FX (which is no major issue for me with any instrument app; that‘s why god created external fx apps on the sixth day)

Product quality: Some crackles when using / tweaking the delay

Overall: For the price (considering the IAP) it‘s very good and useable, and it just looks and feels nice and likeable.
    I would definitely purchase it again.
    Just hoping for further updates with more sounds and, hopefully, AUv3 capability (which, sadly, none of the apps has)

Hope that helps!
    LK

Thanks for that generous reply !

• edited November 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Anyone else have issues with Mellowsound and IAA not working ?

Crashes in AUM but not in Audiobus with no midi except when using MF adapter with that routing:

Also it’s better to load Mellowsound standalone first and then in AB that helps loading.

Has anybody made some comparison with BeatHawk iap?

• @Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Crashes in AUM but not in Audiobus with no midi except when using MF adapter with that routing:

Also it’s better to load Mellowsound standalone first and then in AB that helps loading.

You don’t actually need to have that second midi lane. When you select MF Adapter as the input inside of Mellowsound, the connection is made.

For AUM, you should launch first the load it into AUM.
    IAA midi is not working from AUM Matrix, but you can use MF Adapter here as well.
    I launched MF Adapter stand-alone (not loaded in any host). I select MF out 1 in Mellowsound. In AUM Matrix I send any midi I want to MF in 1, and it plays on Mellowsound.

• @CracklePot said:

@Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

You don’t actually need to have that second midi lane. When you select MF Adapter as the input inside of Mellowsound, the connection is made.

IAA midi is not working from AUM Matrix, but you can use MF Adapter here as well.
    I launched MF Adapter stand-alone (not loaded in any host). I select MF out 1 in Mellowsound. In AUM Matrix I send any midi I want to MF in 1, and it plays on Mellowsound.

In my case Mellowsound freezes in AUM even if loaded as standalone first.

• @Janosax said:

@CracklePot said:

@Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Working fine for me. Air 2 /12.1. All apps up to date.
    Strange indeed. What device / iOS are you on?
    I didn’t get the IAP yet. But I hope that doesn’t matter, since I plan on getting it later today.

• @CracklePot said:

@Janosax said:

@CracklePot said:

@Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Working fine for me. Air 2 /12.1. All apps up to date.
    Strange indeed. What device / iOS are you on?
    I didn’t get the IAP yet. But I hope that doesn’t matter, since I plan on getting it later today.

iPhone 7 Plus latest iOS and AUM beta. This is perhaps this last one.

• @analog_matt said:
    The Fingerlab folks are nice people. Mellowsound is built with AudioKit.
    It's based on the same tech as the original FM Player!

Great to see people using my code. 🤘

That's awesome to hear. Thanks for all your work Mr. Matt.

• Thanks for that comparison write up @LeonKowalski. Nicely done.

• @Janosax said:

It crashes or refuses to start in AUM and Audiobus. Seems like some work cut out for the developers. Have a nice and busy weekend, guys! 😉

• Mellowsound is super nice: IAPs well worth it. Love the UI design. Also noting how well Mellowsound compliments Super Manetron and vice versa.

• BenBen
    edited November 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

It crashes or refuses to start in AUM and Audiobus. Seems like some work cut out for the developers. Have a nice and busy weekend, guys! 😉

Have not tried it in AUM yet but works fine as input in Audiobus.
    @CracklePot I have the full version and also Air2, iOS 12 .

• @Ben said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

Right now it always needs a restart on both Audiobus and AUM. It doesn‘t react to the AUM keyboard, though.

• @LeonKowalski said:

@Ben said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

Right now it always needs a restart on both Audiobus and AUM. It doesn‘t react to the AUM keyboard, though.

Same here hope they fix it IAA is broke apart from AB3.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Ben said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

It’s now broken for me in AB3 after latest Mellowsound update, same app freezing than in AUM. Glad to haven’t bought it yet. Will certainly do however if it get fixed.

• @Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Ben said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

It’s now broken for me in AB3 after latest Mellowsound update, same app freezing than in AUM. Glad to haven’t bought it yet. Will certainly do however if it get fixed.

Same problem here. It is no longer working in AUM or AB3

• @JeffChasteen said:

@Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Ben said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

Things are kinda weird for me too. But I can still get it to load in AUM if I start it first in Standalone, then load it in AUM.
    If I use MF Adapter, Mellowsound still reacts to midi sent to it. Remember to set midi input to MF Adapter in Mellowsound after you launch MF Adapter. In the AUM Matrix. Send MF Adapter to Mellowsound. Send AUM internal KB to MF Adapter, not Mellowsound. It should playback in Mellowsound when you play the AUM KB.

Audiobus is pretty broken right now, but it can work with AB midi. Put MF Adapter in the midi out in AB. In Mellowsound, set it to receive from MF Adapter. DO NOT try to load Mellowsound into AB, neither midi or audio. It will end up freezing Mellowsound.
    I got a weird error from AB when I was failing at getting Mellowsound to load into AB. The error said the Bonjour Service failed to connect and needed AB restart, or a device reboot. It was a message at the bottom of the screen, and had the yellow caution/warning symbol at the front of the message. Never seen that before.

I am not on the AUM beta, but if you are then the AUM stuff I stated above may not work for you.

Also, I have the IAP now, but I didn’t when I posted the other day. That doesn’t seem to make any difference, AFAIK.

Not sure what changed in the last update. I suspect they corrected the Restore IAP bug.
    I updated before I bought the IAP, and I could swear the IAP was $2.99. But after the update it was $3.99. Bought it anyway, since I try to support any AudioKit related efforts.

• @CracklePot said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Ben said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Janosax said:

Things are kinda weird for me too. But I can still get it to load in AUM if I start it first in Standalone, then load it in AUM.
    If I use MF Adapter, Mellowsound still reacts to midi sent to it. Remember to set midi input to MF Adapter in Mellowsound after you launch MF Adapter. In the AUM Matrix. Send MF Adapter to Mellowsound. Send AUM internal KB to MF Adapter, not Mellowsound. It should playback in Mellowsound when you play the AUM KB.

Audiobus is pretty broken right now, but it can work with AB midi. Put MF Adapter in the midi out in AB. In Mellowsound, set it to receive from MF Adapter. DO NOT try to load Mellowsound into AB, neither midi or audio. It will end up freezing Mellowsound.
    I got a weird error from AB when I was failing at getting Mellowsound to load into AB. The error said the Bonjour Service failed to connect and needed AB restart, or a device reboot. It was a message at the bottom of the screen, and had the yellow caution/warning symbol at the front of the message. Never seen that before.

I am not on the AUM beta, but if you are then the AUM stuff I stated above may not work for you.

Also, I have the IAP now, but I didn’t when I posted the other day. That doesn’t seem to make any difference, AFAIK.

Not sure what changed in the last update. I suspect they corrected the Restore IAP bug.
    I updated before I bought the IAP, and I could swear the IAP was $2.99. But after the update it was $3.99. Bought it anyway, since I try to support any AudioKit related efforts.

Just discovered some weirdness. It loads readily in both AB3 and AUM IF the headphone jack is engaged. Otherwise...nothing.
    I have not tried your MIDI workaround yet.
    You are correct; the IAP was initially $2.99.

• Even with the update virtual midi still not working in AUM.

• edited November 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Even with the update virtual midi still not working in AUM.

That works if you do the routing in the matrix:

• @Janosax said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Even with the update virtual midi still not working in AUM.

That works if you do the routing in the matrix:

That may be so, but in my book that is not fixing it. It’s still crashing on load aswell again you shouldn’t have to open the app first it’s currently unusable and not fit for purpose.

• Mellowsound needs a legato mode, I think- I wish! Christmas isn’t so far...

• The latest update buggered the sound don’t update till it’s fixed!

• Done a fresh install sounds back now !

• Hey there,

I'm Aurelien from Fingerlab (Mellowsound creator) and I just want to let you know that a new update v5.0 for Mellowsound is coming in a few weeks (more details below).
    If some of you want to test it in preview here is the TestFlight link:
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/N3QnJkp3

And here is update details:
    This update brings new features and major upgrade for AudioUnit:
    -Full Midi Mapping support
    -New FX Tube Amp
    -Physical keyboard support
    -AudioUnit interface auto-scaling
    -AudioUnit User Shared Presets support
    -AudioUnit state saving bug fix
    -AudioUnit parameters group added
    -Various bugs fix

• @ninobeatz said:
    V6.1:

I don’t have desktop so not huge for me. I’m just glad it’s still getting updates. Even though I own Sampletron, this is still maybe my favorite Mellotron app on the App Store. Simple but sounds great, and offers a lot of control.