Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mellowsound, new app by Fingerlab

Comments

• @LeonKowalski said:
    I don‘t need another Mellotron. I have Manetron, Mellotron XL, M3000 and the sounds in Module, so ... I just bought it anyway. Damn.

The days of “I have a Mellotron I can fit under my arm” are past us. Welcome to the “I have 5 Mellotrons in my pocket” era.

• @Daveypoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@Daveypoo said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:
    And their app Musyc is brilliant - if only they'd make it IAA at least....

I have the current version of Musyc Pro installed and working as IAA inside AUM on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.1. The Musyc App Store description says it has IAA and is the same size as the Pro version of the app.

Hmmm - I'll have to try again then....

The midi out in the next update...
    been waiting like a year for that now.

MIDI out for Musyc would be genius. If only....

I have it (turns away in shame) but have never really used it. Worth the revisit you'd say?

• @LeonKowalski said:
    I don‘t need another Mellotron. I have Manetron, Mellotron XL, M3000 and the sounds in Module, so ... I just bought it anyway. Damn.

How does it compare?

• @MonzoPro said:

@LeonKowalski said:

How does it compare?

Would be interesting indeed. Especially because it only costs a fraction of the M3000 and is also a lot cheaper than other alternatives.

• @Zaubrer said:

@MonzoPro said:

@LeonKowalski said:

How does it compare?

Would be interesting indeed. Especially because it only costs a fraction of the M3000 and is also a lot cheaper than other alternatives.

Yeah, I don’t have any of these on the iPad. I have a few bits on desktop, but this would be a cheap way to get something for iOS use.

• edited November 2018

I bought it because I'm a sucker for Mellotron guitar and the one from the M3000 classic tapes is not in tune. Still, the M3000 has a much wider variety of sounds and is worth the cost when it goes on half price sale (Christmas time is when I got it).

For $3, this is money well spent for a small sampling of the Mellotron.

• Best mellotronic three dollars worth out there. Nice tidy interface also,

• Three for free.
    I ain’t complaining.
    Three dollar for the lot.
    Bargain.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Daveypoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@Daveypoo said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:

I have the current version of Musyc Pro installed and working as IAA inside AUM on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.1. The Musyc App Store description says it has IAA and is the same size as the Pro version of the app.

I have it (turns away in shame) but have never really used it. Worth the revisit you'd say?

Definitely - Musyc is one of the few non-standard music "games" (things like Seaquence as well) I keep coming back to. It's really fun - my kids dig it too and are bummed it won't work on their iPad 2.

• @Daveypoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Daveypoo said:

@CracklePot said:

@Daveypoo said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:

Definitely - Musyc is one of the few non-standard music "games" (things like Seaquence as well) I keep coming back to. It's really fun - my kids dig it too and are bummed it won't work on their iPad 2.

I just reinstalled Musyc Pro on my iPad 2, and it seems to be working fine.
    It isn’t compatible any more though.
    In your purchased apps, search for Musyc Pro. Only use the cloud icon on the results list. It will let you download the last compatible version.
    If you tap and get the pop up panel, and try to use that cloud icon, it will not offer the last compatible version. No other cloud icon will, only the one on the results list in your purchased apps.
    I have been able to install most of my legacy version apps on my iPad 2 this way. But it doesn’t always work. Most of the time it does. I got the old GarageBand on there, and yesterday I put the old pre-update Beatwave on there as well.

Kids are gonna be stoked. :)
    Check out Sound Rebound app too. Similar, but simpler. Just got updated recently and I rediscovered it.

• edited November 2018

How does it compare?

Okay, let‘s compare: (beware: I‘m not a native english speaker)

First look: I love the design. It looks very ... err ... friendly 🙄

UI: Nice and simple. Similarities to Manetron, very different to M3000 and Mellotron XL, which are a bit more complicated and awkward (M3000) and / or extremely ugly (MXL)

Sounds: More than Manetron, Not as many as MXL and M3000, which have loads of them (and in case of M3000 even more in some quite expensive IAP packs)

Sound quality: Well, this is purely personal taste. The sounds of Mellowsound are fine and useable. The harp is nice, haven‘t found it elsewhere. The strings sound a bit too dry and clean, and I would like to have more different types of them (for me the Mellotron is all about the string patches, like in classic prog rock)

To compare specifically, I took the Cello patches, which belong to my favourite Mellotron sounds, and, surprise, there is a cello patch in every app. Second surprise: They all sound different.
    My (Cello sound only) ranking from best to worse:
    1. Mellotron XL: Expressive and gritty
    2. Manetron: Quite good overall
    3. Mellowsound: Warm, but a bit dry and flat
    4. M3000: Surprisingly weak and without punch, but still useable

With other sounds, it‘s difficult to compare. Manetron and M3000 sound a bit more vintage (grammophone sound?), MXL has more punch.

FX: No fx in MXL,
    Manetron: Reverb only (very vintage sounding)
    M3000: Reverb only (sounds like a cave, I don‘t like it, but it’s tweakable for size, amount and tone)
    Mellowsound: Tremolo, very nice; Delay, not very good, Reverb, not very good either. I will use external FX (which is no major issue for me with any instrument app; that‘s why god created external fx apps on the sixth day)

Product quality: Some crackles when using / tweaking the delay

Overall: For the price (considering the IAP) it‘s very good and useable, and it just looks and feels nice and likeable.
    I would definitely purchase it again.
    Just hoping for further updates with more sounds and, hopefully, AUv3 capability (which, sadly, none of the apps has)

Hope that helps!
    LK

• @LeonKowalski said:

How does it compare?

UI: Nice and simple. Similarities to Manetron, very different to M3000 and Mellotron XL, which are a bit more complicated and awkward (M3000) and / or extremely ugly (MXL)

Sounds: More than Manetron, Not as many as MXL and M3000, which have loads of them (and in case of M3000 even more in some quite expensive IAP packs)

Sound quality: Well, this is purely personal taste. The sounds of Mellowsound are fine and useable. The harp is nice, haven‘t found it elsewhere. The strings sound a bit too dry and clean, and I would like to have more different types of them (for me the Mellotron is all about the string patches, like in classic prog rock)

To compare specifically, I took the Cello patches, which belong to my favourite Mellotron sounds, and, surprise, there is a cello patch in every app. Second surprise: They all sound different.

With other sounds, it‘s difficult to compare. Manetron and M3000 sound a bit more vintage (grammophone sound?), MXL has more punch.

M3000: Reverb only (sounds like a cave, I don‘t like it, but it’s tweakable for size, amount and tone)
    Mellowsound: Tremolo, very nice; Delay, not very good, Reverb, not very good either. I will use external FX (which is no major issue for me with any instrument app; that‘s why god created external fx apps on the sixth day)

Overall: For the price (considering the IAP) it‘s very good and useable, and it just looks and feels nice and likeable.
    Just hoping for further updates with more sounds and, hopefully, AUv3 capability (which, sadly, none of the apps has)

Hope that helps!
    LK

ThumbJam has some nice Mellotron sounds too.
    Free if you own TJ already.

• ThumbJam has some nice Mellotron sounds too.

Yes right. And there are patches in Cubasis, as far as I remember. And I didn‘t even get into Korg Module. Any other iOS mellotrons out there?

• @CracklePot said:

In your purchased apps, search for Musyc Pro. Only use the cloud icon on the results list. It will let you download the last compatible version.
    If you tap and get the pop up panel, and try to use that cloud icon, it will not offer the last compatible version. No other cloud icon will, only the one on the results list in your purchased apps.
    I have been able to install most of my legacy version apps on my iPad 2 this way. But it doesn’t always work. Most of the time it does. I got the old GarageBand on there, and yesterday I put the old pre-update Beatwave on there as well.

Check out Sound Rebound app too. Similar, but simpler. Just got updated recently and I rediscovered it.

This didn't work for me - even choosing the cloud icon from the search results for Musyc gave me the "Unable to Purchase" error. Bummer....

• @LeonKowalski said:

How does it compare?

Hope that helps!
    LK

Brilliant, thank you for that!

• @Daveypoo said:

@CracklePot said:

This didn't work for me - even choosing the cloud icon from the search results for Musyc gave me the "Unable to Purchase" error. Bummer....

Dude that is very strange.
    Wait, that message sounds like it is trying purchase it.
    Just to be clear, it has to be the cloud icon in your purchased apps inventory.
    Be sure to search purchased apps, not regular search. I believe there are both search boxes on the same page.

Once it shows the app, hit the cloud icon next to it. Do not tap it to get the pop up panel for the app because the cloud icon on the floating pop up panel will not work.

It seems funny that it installed the last compatible version for me, yet it is also now offering an update. I think I am going to try updating it to see what happens.
    Gotta wait to get the iPad 2 back from my daughter. She is ‘making fansigns’.

• Yep - purchased it. The only difference I see with the way you're doing it and the way I did it is that I didn't buy Musyc Pro - I bought the IAPs so I only have the Musyc app.

If it's working, I wouldn't update. It may render it unusable on your iPad 2.

It's not that big a deal - I've got it on my 2017 iPad Pro 12" and my kid can use that if he REALLY gets a bug up his butt about it. Just thought it'd be nice to have it on their iPad.

• @LeonKowalski said:

ThumbJam has some nice Mellotron sounds too.

Yes right. And there are patches in Cubasis, as far as I remember. And I didn‘t even get into Korg Module. Any other iOS mellotrons out there?

Sampletank has them also

• @MonzoPro said:
    Brilliant, thank you for that!

My pleasure! 🖖

• Yes right. And there are patches in Cubasis, as far as I remember. And I didn‘t even get into Korg Module. Any other iOS mellotrons out there?

Sampletank has them also

Yeah, somewhere buried deep down in an IAP pack. Where it says „additional 9 string instruments“, but the mellotrons are greyed out at positions 12 - 14, so I don‘t even know if I would get them if I purchased the pack.

Which leads me to an off-topic side note: Sampletank has the worst user interface I have ever seen in any music app. Confusing, incomprehensible, partly misleading and with some ugly cul-de-sacs. And it re-downloads soundpacks again and again that already have been downloaded onto my iPad forever. I hate it. Rant closed.

• If you hit “Restore Purchases” it will unlock the IAP for free ...

• @TheVimFuego said:
    If you hit “Restore Purchases” it will unlock the IAP for free ...

If I have purchased it before?

• Anyone else have issues with Mellowsound and IAA not working ?

• edited November 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@TheVimFuego said:

No,i had not bought anything and it worked.
    I must add i would have been disappointed if i had bought the iap.
    Other mellotron apps sound much better to my ears.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Anyone else have issues with Mellowsound and IAA not working ?

yes. does not launch successfully from AUM, and does not seem to listen to IAA midi.

• edited November 2018

@flo26 said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Okay, thanks, tried it, but it didn‘t work for me...

But with that info added to our tests:

it doesn‘t really matter. Thanks for the information.👍

• @wellingtonCres said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Anyone else have issues with Mellowsound and IAA not working ?

yes. does not launch successfully from AUM, and does not seem to listen to IAA midi.

Ok I messaged the team through FB about it so hopefully they can come up with a fix.

• @flo26 said:

Additional information: Tried it again, didn‘t work. Then I wanted to noodle around with some other sounds. Again, it started to re-download the whole Miroslav2 IAP, which is my main reason for having Sampletank at all. After the download, I played some notes on the on-screen keyboard: app crashes. After the restart, it begins to download the aforementioned IAP pack AGAIN!

That‘s when I pulled the plug. Sampletank is gone, deleted and will never again use up valuable disc space on my device. I feel free now 😬

• We talk about mellowsound.😉😉

• edited November 2018

@flo26 said:
    We talk about mellowsound.😉😉

Err... right... 😬

Oh, look! A bird! 😉😇