Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 Update is out

Comments

• Maybe no-one at Intua or any of the beta testers use the MIDI FX recording workflow ?
    Perhaps Intua need to recruit someone that does use that workflow onto the beta team.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's just the reality of a platform for low-cost apps. How much time does the developer have for a project? For many devs, it's a hobby, and some are working with a complex bunch of code to maintain and improve. I don't know about BM3. Maybe tomorrow there's an update that solves all our problems, satisfies all wishes, but I never count on more than what I get for my few initial dollars, get my money's worth out of what it is, always back up all work I care about in a reliable universal format, and don't update unless I accept the risk of losing capability. I'm forever patient. Not every iOS app is going to survive much less grow. Make the best of it.

• edited November 2018

@lovadamusic said:
    It's just the reality of a platform for low-cost apps. How much time does the developer have for a project? For many devs, it's a hobby, and some are working with a complex bunch of code to maintain and improve. I don't know about BM3. Maybe tomorrow there's an update that solves all our problems, satisfies all wishes, but I never count on more than what I get for my few initial dollars, get my money's worth out of what it is, always back up all work I care about in a reliable universal format, and don't update unless I accept the risk of losing capability. I'm forever patient. Not every iOS app is going to survive much less grow. Make the best of it.

Very reasonable thoughts.

• @brambos said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@Dawdles said:

Sounds like the Transient slicing implementation is equally as ill-considered. How the hell did they not think ‘erm...I want to be able to see the whole wav window when I’m setting the transient sensitivity.....’???

Words fail me...

There may be better visibility if the detection option is also available when you zoom into the sample via the more detailed edit window. I haven't tried that yet to see if it's there, and if that improves things.

Looking forward to doing this on an iPhone

(runs)

Saucy.

• @Dawdles said:

@lovadamusic said:
    It's just the reality of a platform for low-cost apps. How much time does the developer have for a project? For many devs, it's a hobby, and some are working with a complex bunch of code to maintain and improve. I don't know about BM3. Maybe tomorrow there's an update that solves all our problems, satisfies all wishes, but I never count on more than what I get for my few initial dollars, get my money's worth out of what it is, always back up all work I care about in a reliable universal format, and don't update unless I accept the risk of losing capability. I'm forever patient. Not every iOS app is going to survive much less grow. Make the best of it.

That doesn’t make much sense in this case. A bad design decision isn’t about time or money. It’s more a manifestation of a disconnect with users workflows. Either a lack of understanding or a lack of concern. Hopefully the former in this case and it’ll get fixed soon.

I been pretty much agreeing with your comments on this, have you ever thought about offering your time for testing? Its a difficult decision as I'm sure you prefer it to work so you can just make music but a solution is to give some of your time and help in the testing process (if the Developer wants such help of course) Quite an unusual ecosystem is this iOS music app scene.

• Beta testers used almost everything to test with BM3. Au midi, fx and stuff was tested.

• Hello one and all,

We're submitting a hot fix for the undo bug, thanks for catching it quickly !

Also I wanted to clarify the decision behind the new MIDI effect way of doing things.
    The virtual MIDI port other DAWs and we chose to create for every AU Plugin was a good workaround and I understand that it brought flexibility as well.
    That being said, it necessarily introduces latency: AU generated events would then be processed at next interruption, later by 1024 frames if this was the set latency.

Sorry for getting technical here but I understand how you may feel and want to assure you this was for the best of reasons: precision.

Looking on the bright side, timings are now tight, MIDI effects can be chained, and set on a Bank or a Pad, without replacing your previously set AU Instrument.
    You can also use the Link group option for Pads if you want them to receive the same MIDI data (Setting your MIDI effects on the parent Bank).

There are surely loads of improvements to be made, and we're listening.

Thanks again for your patience,

All the best,
    Vincent B.

• @Dawdles can you reel in the whitewash onslaught of bottomless negativity a little? It makes these boards very tedious to read. We’re largely a self moderated community so it’s important we all keep this kind of thing in mind as individuals.

I (like most others) welcome a critical point of view in the discussion. However you’re by far the most active poster here, almost on a 1:1 ratio with all other posts, and every single one of them reads exactly the same. If I see that specific ‘structure’ of discussion in a thread on an initial scan down the page, I usually won’t even read it. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Make your points (it’s very welcome and I also want to read it) but please let the discussion breathe a little and give it space to move forward. Much better to have 3 pages of balanced discussion than 10 pages of identical ranting.

• Optimistically back to BM3:

How’s Ableton Link in the new update?

I mainly use BM3 as a host for sampler instruments and even have Link turned off (no need for it), so enhanced stability and a few new sampler features is exactly what I would have asked for.

The ongoing Link issues are something I’ve had my eye on for an important fix though, considering they’re quite fundamental to common use of the app. I’d be interested to hear if that’s ongoing or resolved.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Maybe no-one at Intua or any of the beta testers use the MIDI FX recording workflow ?
    Perhaps Intua need to recruit someone that does use that workflow onto the beta team.

Easy.......I am one of them.....LOL

• edited November 2018

@intua_vincent said:
    Hello one and all,

Also I wanted to clarify the decision behind the new MIDI effect way of doing things.
    The virtual MIDI port other DAWs and we chose to create for every AU Plugin was a good workaround and I understand that it brought flexibility as well.
    That being said, it necessarily introduces latency: AU generated events would then be processed at next interruption, later by 1024 frames if this was the set latency.

Sorry for getting technical here but I understand how you may feel and want to assure you this was for the best of reasons: precision.

Looking on the bright side, timings are now tight, MIDI effects can be chained, and set on a Bank or a Pad, without replacing your previously set AU Instrument.
    You can also use the Link group option for Pads if you want them to receive the same MIDI data (Setting your MIDI effects on the parent Bank).

All the best,
    Vincent B.

There you go guys. You wanted an explanation.

• Hi @intua_vincent - thank you for posting in what is a very uninviting thread.

My feedback is that you please reconsider the AU midi decision and bring back AU midi routing. The apps by @brambos, @FredAntonCorvest and others are the most exciting developments on iOS and this restriction means we can not use them to their full capability.

Thank you for listening,
    Gus

• Can anyone please explain what good are midi fx for if u can't record them??

• edited November 2018

Just so I can understand what all the fuss is about. Which Midi fx is it that needs it back the old way?

Edit: I see, didn't realize that was Rozeta. :D :D

• @intua_vincent said:
    Hello one and all,

All the best,
    Vincent B.

I can understand the change in the AU midi set up, but not being able to record the midi makes it quite useless in many scenarios.

• @intua_vincent said:
    Hello one and all,

All the best,
    Vincent B.

Thanks!
    Does it mean current implementation is considered done, and there is no plan to make it recordable?

• @Fruitbat1919 @recccp Recording the MIDI Effect chain output will most definitely happen

• edited November 2018

Already replied to, so deleted earlier message.

• edited November 2018

EDIT: Same as @Fruitbat1919

• I’ve had a reply, which suggests they will rework the midi fx so it is recordable.> @intua_vincent said:

@Fruitbat1919 @recccp Recording the MIDI Effect chain output will most definitely happen

Thank you.

• edited November 2018

Please remember this is JUST a beatmaking app. You guys are talking some high level nerd speak, sounding like Geordi Laforge and Data from Star Trek got in a drunken brawl one night... sheesh

• edited November 2018

@yonhorizon said:
    Can anyone please explain what good are midi fx for if u can't record them??

Would really love an answer because I just can't understand the point of having it if u can't record it.
    Like, "hey that's a nice sequence!
    Let's rewrite it manually in the midi editor"

• Thanks for the explanation @intua_vincent

I’m among those that am confident in Intua’s ability to make this app as close to perfection for my type of Beatmaking so I won’t question how they prioritize B3. It’s a complicated mess of brilliance.

I also empathize and understand those greatly disappointed and disenfranchised about this update rollout.

I will again mention that COMMUNICATION...even if it’s just an occasional post on their blog, newsle or forum...will do much to avoid toxic discussions. Why create a blog, newsletter AND forum if you don’t use it well?

It’s when uninformed loyal users who’ve invested a lot of time and passion into projects are left to their own assumptions, humor, outrage, emo, etc that things can get wacky. I believe the few devs at Intua I’ve seen to be confident, thick skinned and well adjusted. I can’t imagine they’re ever reading these threads in tears. Seriously. If anything, they probably get a chuckle every now and again between fulfilling their passion. I hope so.

I digress...can we now can put to rest this bullshit about B3 being abandonware? Intua is alive, well, listening and working to improve B3. Great.

@intua_vincent is aware of this community and that people are passionate about B3. Let’s respect that and work with him to aid their development if we truly care about the app. If you don’t, why are you here discussing it?

Finally, an apology to @intua_vincent and @mathieugarcia if they took offense to my living thread on their forum. I doubt they did. I think it’s more like a few isolated members of the forum decided they didn’t get the humor in my updating title anymore but in the event I’m wrong...my apologies.

I will be returning to my normal sarcastic self now.

• edited November 2018

Who’s excited for 3.1.1.1? :D