Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 Update is out

14567810»

Comments

• @wim said:

@BroCoast said:

@metal_monk said:
    I’m running into a similar issue with recording midi from polyplayground. I can hear it controlling the bank I have loaded, but when I hit record in BeatMaker none of the midi is recorded down.

It won't record the MIDI from anything.

Annoying thing is, you can record input notes from the pads but not an external keyboard either!

I was able to record midi from Quantum just now with no issue.
    Are you guys sure the channel is record armed?

Yeah, but I'm speaking of only when an AU midi fx is in play. It will record my pad notes but not from my keystep... Though I'll do further tests to make sure my brain isn't too fried.

• @BroCoast said:

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

@metal_monk said:
    I’m running into a similar issue with recording midi from polyplayground. I can hear it controlling the bank I have loaded, but when I hit record in BeatMaker none of the midi is recorded down.

Annoying thing is, you can record input notes from the pads but not an external keyboard either!

Yeah, but I'm speaking of only when an AU midi fx is in play. It will record my pad notes but not from my keystep... Though I'll do further tests to make sure my brain isn't too fried.

Gotcha. Well this sucks. I literally just bought this app for my new iPad. Any alternative apps that offer some similar functionality?

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

I see no changes with IAA and with connected midi devices. Only AU midi FX.

@metal_monk said:

@BroCoast said:

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

@metal_monk said:

Gotcha. Well this sucks. I literally just bought this app for my new iPad. Any alternative apps that offer some similar functionality?

Is that app AUv3? It doesn’t mention in the app description. If it’s Standalone / IAA, then it may just be a settings problem. Never heard of that app before now.

• It should work...the midi routing is a little bit of a pain to setup @ times. Are you trying to record the Arp from the KeyStep? Can you get the key step to play notes in your BM3 synth? I can get the arp notes from my NanoKEY Studio to record into BM3 fwiw...

• @echoopera said:
    It should work...the midi routing is a little bit of a pain to setup @ times. Are you trying to record the Arp from the KeyStep? Can you get the key step to play notes in your BM3 synth? I can get the arp notes from my NanoKEY Studio to record into BM3 fwiw...

With a MIDI AU fx inserted?

• @wim said:
    I see no changes with IAA and with connected midi devices. Only AU midi FX.

@metal_monk said:

@BroCoast said:

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

@metal_monk said:

Is that app AUv3? It doesn’t mention in the app description. If it’s Standalone / IAA, then it may just be a settings problem. Never heard of that app before now.

Yeah it's standalone, I just assumed it was AU. :D

• edited November 2018

So far I've only tested recording Rozeta Arp midi notes...I can't seem to record Rozeta Collider midi notes for some reason...I have to record it as a separate audio track if I want to keep it for a track.

What's odd, is that Rozeta Collider records just fine in Cubasis.

• edited November 2018

@echoopera said:
    So far I've only tested recording Rozeta Arp midi notes...I can't seem to record Rozeta Collider notes for some reason.

AU midi fx generated notes won't record. But also they won't send to external hardware.

It also seems to block incoming notes from an external keyboard. It will of course trigger an app loaded on a pad fine.

Edit... seems I was wrong. Reset the system and can now record incoming notes fine.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@echoopera said:
    So far I've only tested recording Rozeta Arp midi notes...I can't seem to record Rozeta Collider midi notes for some reason...I have to record it as a separate audio track if I want to keep it for a track.

What's odd, is that Rozeta Collider records just fine in Cubasis.

Don’t blame you for not reading all of this gawdawful thread, but yes, the big brouhaha is that AUv3 midi FX do not get their midi notes recorded. Intua checked in to say that they would change that, but did not say when.

• @metal_monk said:

@BroCoast said:

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

@metal_monk said:

Not that I know of but there probably is. That app looks great!

• Has anyone figured out how to run two Rozeta Rhythm AUX on a single bank and have one Rhythm Sequence the top eight pads and the second Rhythm sequence the bottom eight. Activating the second Rhythm seems to cut off the first one’s audio even though you can see the Pads are playing.

• edited November 2018

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

@metal_monk said:

[edit] I just recorded midi from my NanoKEY Studio as well.

Just caught up with like 150+ new comments, but I believe the issue is recording anything AU midi, specifically AU midi FX.
    Buuuuut, I could be wrong.

And yes, it was a sad read. :(

Edit: shit, turns out there was more to read. :D

• @wim said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Bottom line: should I update or not?

If you have projects that use AUv3 midi that you need to work on, then no. They changed it from working like AUM, where you can route midi freely, to like Cubasis, where you can only use the midi FX on the channel (bank or pad) where it is placed. So projects set up the old way would no longer work. At the very least, you’d want to record the midi from the midi FX into patterns before updating.

Also, you can’t yet record the midi coming out of midi FX apps, so if that’s crucial, then you shouldn’t update yet.

There are some bugs with undo / redo that are apparently getting fixed post-haste.

The transient detection in the sampler is muy bueno, and I’m used to living with not being able to record midi FX output in AUM and Ape Matrix, so I’m not regretting the update. If you live and die by BM3, or are sent into apoplexy by changes or developer methods you don’t agree with, you may not wanna climb out on that ledge.

Thanks for the appraisal and for a return to forum norms.

• @RJB said:
    Has anyone figured out how to run two Rozeta Rhythm AUX on a single bank and have one Rhythm Sequence the top eight pads and the second Rhythm sequence the bottom eight. Activating the second Rhythm seems to cut off the first one’s audio even though you can see the Pads are playing.

I poked around with it, and don’t think you can. But you could do two banks.

• @Dawdles said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Dawdles said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:
    I dunno. I had a good two hours of fun with the latest update of BM3 last night. Call me primitive but i enjoyed making noise in the update. 🤪

The new Midi AU routing didn’t bother me. Sure the instrument had to be in KEYS mode to work, but i was able to record my Rozeta Arps just fine to clips and roll those recorded patterns into the timeline. But hey I’m an onward and upward sort of mental model fellow. I don’t subscribe to the sky is falling mental model anymore. Life is too beautiful for that rubbish.

+1

Why do people get so high and mighty about accepting compromise and ‘making do’? I’m an ‘onwards and upwards’ kind of guy too. Just that sadly this time that means leaving bm3 behind and using something else. That’s not a ‘being negative’ thing. Just a sensible decision to choose the best tool for the job for what I want to do. Which bm3 doesn’t appear to be for me for this stuff any more. It’s not a case of ‘sky is falling mental mode’, it’s just having enough wits to not try to hit a square peg in to a round hole. Which frustratingly ‘used’ to be a square hole ;)

I think that you and I may feel differently on this matter and we also have a fundamental difference of opinion as to attitude and delivery. I think it's probably best for us both (and for everyone else on the bus :) ) if we live and let live on this one.

Lol. Wtf are you on about re attitude and delivery? Where did that come from?!? So much ‘holier than thou’ on this forum :/ ironic how it’s always the ‘holier than thou’ crowd that throw these cryptic little stones at anyone they don’t jive with and are the most judgemental in their passive aggressive little remarks. Yes, you’re a far better human than I...apologies.

@Dawdles Please, for your sake, just stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.

• edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@robertreynolds said:

@Dawdles said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Dawdles said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:
    I dunno. I had a good two hours of fun with the latest update of BM3 last night. Call me primitive but i enjoyed making noise in the update. 🤪

The new Midi AU routing didn’t bother me. Sure the instrument had to be in KEYS mode to work, but i was able to record my Rozeta Arps just fine to clips and roll those recorded patterns into the timeline. But hey I’m an onward and upward sort of mental model fellow. I don’t subscribe to the sky is falling mental model anymore. Life is too beautiful for that rubbish.

+1

Why do people get so high and mighty about accepting compromise and ‘making do’? I’m an ‘onwards and upwards’ kind of guy too. Just that sadly this time that means leaving bm3 behind and using something else. That’s not a ‘being negative’ thing. Just a sensible decision to choose the best tool for the job for what I want to do. Which bm3 doesn’t appear to be for me for this stuff any more. It’s not a case of ‘sky is falling mental mode’, it’s just having enough wits to not try to hit a square peg in to a round hole. Which frustratingly ‘used’ to be a square hole ;)

I think that you and I may feel differently on this matter and we also have a fundamental difference of opinion as to attitude and delivery. I think it's probably best for us both (and for everyone else on the bus :) ) if we live and let live on this one.

Lol. Wtf are you on about re attitude and delivery? Where did that come from?!? So much ‘holier than thou’ on this forum :/ ironic how it’s always the ‘holier than thou’ crowd that throw these cryptic little stones at anyone they don’t jive with and are the most judgemental in their passive aggressive little remarks. Yes, you’re a far better human than I...apologies.

@Dawdles Please, for your sake, just stop. You’re embarrassing yourself.

Wtf is your problem? If a concern doesn’t concern you...don’t be concerned. Life’s short, why you wanna waste it policing other people’s issues? Just worry about your own..

Life is too short to be arguing about Beatmaker, new updates will come, hopefully you get the features you want in those updates.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’m just waiting for the scenes recording feature like ableton. But I’m really patient :smile:

• So is this out on iPhone now? 😂

• @intua_vincent said:
    Hello one and all,

We're submitting a hot fix for the undo bug, thanks for catching it quickly !

Also I wanted to clarify the decision behind the new MIDI effect way of doing things.
    The virtual MIDI port other DAWs and we chose to create for every AU Plugin was a good workaround and I understand that it brought flexibility as well.
    That being said, it necessarily introduces latency: AU generated events would then be processed at next interruption, later by 1024 frames if this was the set latency.

Sorry for getting technical here but I understand how you may feel and want to assure you this was for the best of reasons: precision.

Looking on the bright side, timings are now tight, MIDI effects can be chained, and set on a Bank or a Pad, without replacing your previously set AU Instrument.
    You can also use the Link group option for Pads if you want them to receive the same MIDI data (Setting your MIDI effects on the parent Bank).

There are surely loads of improvements to be made, and we're listening.

Thanks again for your patience,

All the best,
    Vincent B.

saving aux presets like an fx rack.
    a way to deduplicate samples

• Just had a chance to sit down with the new updates a bit.

First observation:
    Stuff was wildly fucked up in both BM3 and GarageBand. A system reboot fixed that.

Subsequently, apart from the crashes I've had (yeah..) I really love the changes. The MIDI AU implementation is loads more logical to me than the previous setup, and the benefit of that alone has given me loads of inspiration and generated tons of ideas. Hand in hand with that is the transient slicer, which kicks arse!! I'm listening to some chopped up psychedelic khomus insanity right now which wouldn't have happened if not for those two features. I think workflow is MASSIVELY improved in this update.

Specifically with regard to the MIDI AU implementation, I completely get why people are wound up over the changes, but honestly it felt much better designed and more creative in the current implementation. It works like a MIDI EFFECT (MIDI in, different MIDI out), which is totally logical and intuitive. For example, all Rozeta generators can really be thought of as MIDI effects -- they take in MIDI which specifies things like key, active pattern etc. and output pattern data. So, my scenes/timeline in BM3 was simply what instructions the Rozeta instances needed to generate the performance. Playback is perfect! After that, it's really easy to print the audio output onto an audio track (which worked perfectly with almost no setup). It's a great workflow and you can even see on the pads screen, what notes the Rozeta modules are outputting, which is really cool! We've heard word from the source that it'll be possible in the future to print directly to MIDI which actually doesn't really make sense to me unless it was printing to a separate MIDI lane that bypasses the MIDI AU -- otherwise the MIDI AU's track itself will play back incorrectly after it has been printed into the lane containing it's control information.

While I did have some stability issues and problems with re-loading a session, I have absolutely zero issues with the design decisions taken by the BM3 team!

• edited November 2018

I mostly hear you, but not all (midi in, different midi out) effects are as intuitive. I´m looking at you, Rozeta LFO. It outputs midi cc curves, so intuitively it shouldn´t do anything with midi note messages, don´t you agree? In the current 3.0.11, if you add LFO as an effect then midi events for that pad are not passed through Rozeta LFO, and the output becomes silence. Is this a BM3 bug, or perhaps a Rozeta LFO bug given this interpretation of what midi effects should do? What say you, @brambos?

On another note, in order to get Rozetas hosted in AUM to play different banks in BM3, I now had to, for each bank, select Midi in port as the un-intuitive ALL. Is that new, or has it always been like this? I can´t remember having done that before. The other parts I do remember (set each bank to separate channels corresponding to the Rozeta channels, and turn off in BM3 settings the Omni mode where the focus bank receives all midi).

• edited November 2018

@OscarSouth said:
    Just had a chance to sit down with the new updates a bit.

First observation:
    Stuff was wildly fucked up in both BM3 and GarageBand. A system reboot fixed that.

Subsequently, apart from the crashes I've had (yeah..) I really love the changes. The MIDI AU implementation is loads more logical to me than the previous setup, and the benefit of that alone has given me loads of inspiration and generated tons of ideas. Hand in hand with that is the transient slicer, which kicks arse!! I'm listening to some chopped up psychedelic khomus insanity right now which wouldn't have happened if not for those two features. I think workflow is MASSIVELY improved in this update.

Specifically with regard to the MIDI AU implementation, I completely get why people are wound up over the changes, but honestly it felt much better designed and more creative in the current implementation. It works like a MIDI EFFECT (MIDI in, different MIDI out), which is totally logical and intuitive. For example, all Rozeta generators can really be thought of as MIDI effects -- they take in MIDI which specifies things like key, active pattern etc. and output pattern data. So, my scenes/timeline in BM3 was simply what instructions the Rozeta instances needed to generate the performance. Playback is perfect! After that, it's really easy to print the audio output onto an audio track (which worked perfectly with almost no setup). It's a great workflow and you can even see on the pads screen, what notes the Rozeta modules are outputting, which is really cool! We've heard word from the source that it'll be possible in the future to print directly to MIDI which actually doesn't really make sense to me unless it was printing to a separate MIDI lane that bypasses the MIDI AU -- otherwise the MIDI AU's track itself will play back incorrectly after it has been printed into the lane containing it's control information.

While I did have some stability issues and problems with re-loading a session, I have absolutely zero issues with the design decisions taken by the BM3 team!

Yeah, I think this update is a massive improvement personally.

I really don't want them to muck around with how MIDI au is now, because it's more logical for the reasons you have mentioned. I can use Routemidi if I want that MIDI data from Rozeta recorded (that is handy for layering up sounds) and record my transposition notes. It's far smarter this way.

Only one crash so far. Very impressed.

• Well, don’t think it’s out yet.. but the countdown for the long awaited update is on.. August release?
    Wonder what coming?

• edited September 2020