Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MPC pro 2 for iphone inbound

Comments

• @Samu said:

@kobamoto said:
    Samu which dev was that?

Louis, the dude behind Digits/Phase84...

I just saw him last week. He’s alive and well, programming his nuts 🥜 off. He left twitter because, well, twitter is cancer.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

@kobamoto said:
    Samu which dev was that?

I just saw him last week. He’s alive and well, programming his nuts 🥜 off. He left twitter because, well, twitter is cancer.

Thanks, good to know!
    Say hello to him next time you bump into him :)
    Had a blast with ’chit-chat support mails’ a while back...

• @Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Samu said:

@kobamoto said:
    Samu which dev was that?

Thanks, good to know!
    Say hello to him next time you bump into him :)
    Had a blast with ’chit-chat support mails’ a while back...

ditto much respect

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Samu said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Samu said:
    While this may be cool for some I do hope they will not forget the iPad version with all the issues that still remain unfixed...

Let’s remain realistic here. Remember who has written and programmed all of these apps. Look at the track record. It’s likely a money grab. I don’t plan to buy it, and I use the iPhone exclusively. Sorry to say, and I hope it’s not considered rude or insulting. But factual, look at the history of the company that made it.

Well, they did add Files.app support to iMPC Pro 2 and partially fixed the support for multi-port audio-interfaces.
    The developer who added these fixes seems to be gone from Twitter which makes me a bit worried...

Such an underrated feature. Files support is a MAJOR selling point. Given the drama over on the BM3 thread the grass is looking a little greener on the Akai Retronyms side of the fence now.

I own BM3 but I am curious about iMPC PRO 2. Anybody here that has both and can give a quick comparison?

• @greengrocer said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Samu said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Samu said:
    While this may be cool for some I do hope they will not forget the iPad version with all the issues that still remain unfixed...

Let’s remain realistic here. Remember who has written and programmed all of these apps. Look at the track record. It’s likely a money grab. I don’t plan to buy it, and I use the iPhone exclusively. Sorry to say, and I hope it’s not considered rude or insulting. But factual, look at the history of the company that made it.

Well, they did add Files.app support to iMPC Pro 2 and partially fixed the support for multi-port audio-interfaces.
    The developer who added these fixes seems to be gone from Twitter which makes me a bit worried...

Such an underrated feature. Files support is a MAJOR selling point. Given the drama over on the BM3 thread the grass is looking a little greener on the Akai Retronyms side of the fence now.

I own BM3 but I am curious about iMPC PRO 2. Anybody here that has both and can give a quick comparison?

iMPC quicker workflow, great sounds .
    BM3 ,more in depth , more features .

Had BM3 ,iMpc Pro 1, use none now . First disappointed by retronyms by the lack of support and always leave bugs and move to new apps and now Intua seems they live on other planet ....

• @Korakios said:

@greengrocer said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Samu said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Samu said:

Had BM3 ,iMpc Pro 1, use none now . First disappointed by retronyms by the lack of support and always leave bugs and move to new apps and now Intua seems they live on other planet ....

Quicker workflow works for me. What about polyphony? I liked BM3 over MPC because you could play chords. Has that improved with the advent of the chromatic keyboard?

• edited November 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Korakios said:

@greengrocer said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Samu said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Samu said:

Quicker workflow works for me. What about polyphony? I liked BM3 over MPC because you could play chords. Has that improved with the advent of the chromatic keyboard?

I don’t have the v2 version but in v1 it poly triggering in 16 level tuning was always buggy .
    (Meaning unless hitting pads at exactly the same time ,last note mutes the previous)

• @blakkaz said:
    iMPC has been my daily driver for a few months now (beta as well).
    It's not without it's quirks, but if you treat it for it is (a sampler and sequencer), it really shines.

AUFX are high on my wanted list, but I'm finding my workflow has shifted to just sampling from Aum and then chopping and arranging in iMPC anyway... I'm producing about as fast as I ever have using iOS.

Same here! I don't treat it as a DAW. I treat it as an MPC 500 that has been enhanced with a much better display and beaucoup memory:)

@Samu I did not even realize Files.app support had been added to iMPC Pro2 on the Ipad. That's one of the things I suggested to the developers while testing the Iphone version. It would make sharing projects between the 2 a lot easier.

• edited November 2018

Does version 2 allow the samples to be triggered on the keyboard? Can samples be triggered polyphonically in pad mode?

JP @retronyms did such a great job promoting version 1. I haven’t purchased version 2 largely because of the absence of promotion and tutorials and overall negative response at release.

BM3 on the other hand gets all kinds of endorsements from artists and it’s been featured by Apple as an app of the day a few times.

@djpuzzle has made some good videos and they definitely highlight the speedy workflow

From the perspective of a consumer I haven’t seen enough compelling reasons to switch as of yet but I’m open to changing my mind

• Lest we forget

• Has it got midi out on different channels?
    Is it same features as iPad version?
    Thanks

• Hi @Kkani! It only has MIDI out in the sense that it echos the drum pads hit for the current track. This is a feature really built for MPC support (so that the pads blink), but it can be used of course to send to any MIDI device. However, the channel cannot be assigned. You can assign channels going the other way, for MIDI learn. We've been slowly improving our MIDI support, and I hope to have a robust MIDI-out implementation at some point or another, MIDI clock options, etc.

Feature-wise, it's the same as the iPad version, minus 3d Perform and Full Level (for interface size reasons). 'course, we could always add those back somehow if users really want 'em!

-Louis

• Oh, and @Korakios, I've logged that 16-levels monophonic pad behavior as a bug. I'm not sure if it is or not (it probably is just be designed to be monophonic and the bug is that it can play poly sometimes), but I'll check it out. The piano keyboard unfortunately is in AudioUnit tracks only, but that'd be really nice to have for drum (sampler) tracks. Although, the aim for those tracks really is to be an MPC rather than a Fairlight.

• edited November 2018

Louis can we get individual flux fx per track please with the option for global?

• I’ve preordered this against my better judgement...for lack of bm3 on iPhone. I figured if nothing else I bought 3 new sample packs for 5 bucks. I still really believe the workflow should match the live or the x a lot more on iOS, it’s a little different to say the least at least on impcpro2 iPad version.

• @Retronyms Is it possible to control this from MPC Touch?

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I’ve preordered this against my better judgement...for lack of bm3 on iPhone. I figured if nothing else I bought 3 new sample packs for 5 bucks. I still really believe the workflow should match the live or the x a lot more on iOS, it’s a little different to say the least at least on impcpro2 iPad version.

3 new sample packs?

• @Retronyms said:
    Hi @Kkani! It only has MIDI out in the sense that it echos the drum pads hit for the current track. This is a feature really built for MPC support (so that the pads blink), but it can be used of course to send to any MIDI device. However, the channel cannot be assigned. You can assign channels going the other way, for MIDI learn. We've been slowly improving our MIDI support, and I hope to have a robust MIDI-out implementation at some point or another, MIDI clock options, etc.

Feature-wise, it's the same as the iPad version, minus 3d Perform and Full Level (for interface size reasons). 'course, we could always add those back somehow if users really want 'em!

-Louis

Full Level is so important

• If you pre-order you get 3 free sample packs

• @stormbeats said:
    Full Level is so important

Yeah, I think the rationale was that it's only really a benefit when hooking up external gear that doesn't already have a full level setting (like the LPD8 does), as touch screen input is already a constant velocity. But, we can always add it into a submenu at a later date.

-Louis

• edited December 2018

Once BM3 goes universal, this will all be academic. Retronyms has yet to deliver a bug-free and flexible MPC product yet. iMPC / iMPC iPhone. Impc pro iPad. iMPC Pro 2 iPad. Not one of them had its bugs and crashes adressed to satisfactory fruition.

I’m sorry. And I own ALL of them. Personally, I feel Akai should’ve bounced them after impc pro. Forcing their unattractive and ungainly file-sharing system, in the name of pushing soundpacks; @*#%h, just be SATISFIED with the loot you get for the app! Make it $30... whatever. Just stop selling to me, once I’ve bought the app.

Then to expect users to sit there w/ this half-baked app, watching you push your absurd hardware tchotchke, the Wedgie or whatever... it was an insult. FIX what you sold.

I’m no hater. On the contrary. I love the legacy of the MPC, and I love the workflow. But Retronyms has not, in MY estimation, lived up to the name.

And please just miss me with any reprisals in the name of “hurt feelings”. They get my loot because I’m a fool for MPC. Yeah... I’m an idiot.

Yeah, I dropped $5 on IMPCP2 iPhone.

See this one through, please.

• edited December 2018

W> @Icepulse said:

Once BM3 goes universal, this will all be academic. Retronyms has yet to deliver a bug-free and flexible MPC product yet. iMPC / iMPC iPhone. Impc pro iPad. iMPC Pro 2 iPad. Not one of them had its bugs and crashes adressed to satisfactory fruition.

I’m sorry. And I own ALL of them. Personally, I feel Akai should’ve bounced them after impc pro. Forcing their unattractive and ungainly file-sharing system, in the name of pushing soundpacks; @*#%h, just be SATISFIED with the loot you get for the app! Make it $30... whatever. Just stop selling to me, once I’ve bought the app.

+1

I wish Akai would ditch its collaboration/association with Retronyms. Akai have kept faith with them when they really could’ve gone elsewhere.

• @Icepulse said:

Then to expect users to sit there w/ this half-baked app, watching you push your absurd hardware tchotchke, the Wedgie or whatever... it was an insult. FIX what you sold.

I’m no hater. On the contrary. I love the legacy of the MPC, and I love the workflow. But Retronyms has not, in MY estimation, lived up to the name.

And please just miss me with any reprisals in the name of “hurt feelings”. They get my loot because I’m a fool for MPC. Yeah... I’m an idiot.

Agree. Love me some iMPC Pro 2, but if only they could fix the bugs. I could put up with the advertising etc, if it was just bug free enough to not have to have my finger permanently on the save button.

• I've yet to nail down the 'logic' as two why iMPC Pro 2 creates multiple copies of files when exporting stuff?!

It puts at least one copy at the 'root' level /Documents/ for easy access from iTunes or Files.app and another duplicate inside the folder structure in a folder called iTunes something?! This also happens when doing AudioCopy from the app. It puts one copy in the 'Audio Copy' folder in iMPC Pro, another in the 'Root' and yet another in the nested iTunes folder arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after every export I need to do manual house-keeping just to find out that there are at least three copies of he same file in the iMPC Pro 2 'Documents' folder?!

Well I do hope the dedicated iPhone version does well so they can spend some time fixing the iPad version too which still misses 'Input Monitoring' and proper 'Input Selector' in the sampler...

• edited December 2018

@Icepulse said:

I agree with everything you said @Retronyms Retronyms you have not fixed the many iMPC Pro2 bugs for instance the so called Stereo to Mono Left/Right of a sample issue where you choose Right and then theres no sample - I emailed about this few months ago NO Fix - Also audio glitching etc etc To add the quantize “Fix Track “feature” works when it wants to - You Retroyms are carrying the Akai MPC name I so wanted to support what could of been a good app Stop adding new features and sort the issues

• @Samu said:
    I've yet to nail down the 'logic' as two why iMPC Pro 2 creates multiple copies of files when exporting stuff?!

It puts at least one copy at the 'root' level /Documents/ for easy access from iTunes or Files.app and another duplicate inside the folder structure in a folder called iTunes something?! This also happens when doing AudioCopy from the app. It puts one copy in the 'Audio Copy' folder in iMPC Pro, another in the 'Root' and yet another in the nested iTunes folder arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after every export I need to do manual house-keeping just to find out that there are at least three copies of he same file in the iMPC Pro 2 'Documents' folder?!

Well I do hope the dedicated iPhone version does well so they can spend some time fixing the iPad version too which still misses 'Input Monitoring' and proper 'Input Selector' in the sampler...

Thanks for that. I will have to look into this myself as I’ve been exporting a fair bit from iMPC Pro2

• Files app is rubbish. Apple developers can be such douchebags when it comes to releasing important utilities.

• edited December 2018

pre-ordered! :)

• edited December 2018

Hi! We're always working on nailing bugs, so please feel free to send us sessions that are having problems, or specific bug reports. If you're seeing a pattern in how the app crashes, then that info is really important to help us fix it. I did recently fix the R mono-mix bug, but I believe it's missing the launch of the iPhone release (but will hit the next version of that and iPad Pro 2). I do want people to know that if a particular bug isn't being fixed very fast that it's not because we're ignoring you! We're a pretty small crew and sometimes these bugs can be surprisingly tricky.

We're doing a bugfix update to the iPad version soon and I'd like to get as many fixes in as possible, so if things are crashing for you, please please get in touch with support (include details like iOS version and the device model, try to remember what actions you were doing at the time). @Samu I'll see what I can do about export saving the wav file in too many places, too. And @stormbeats I'd like to know more about the Fix Track feature not working all of the time.

-Louis

• edited December 2018

@Retronyms could be a good idea for future releases to test in depth beta before selling The many issues I had forced me to have to move on to Grooverider GR16 The Dev is not in a “small crew” just one person who has worked so hard to get the app new features with hardly any serious bugs All the best with iMPC PRO 3 4 5 6 etc etc sincerely
    Peace