Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Mac Mini reviews are good

13»

Comments

• @Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’m going to buy one, but must save some money first. Or rob a bank. I’m almost tempted go break bad setting up a meth lab 🧪 to get one. I’m salivating!

I’m using a Mac mini from mid 2011, running Pro Tools 10. My dilemma is that it’s still working like a charm, after I upgraded with 16 gigs and an ssd. And my controller soundcard mixer Digi 003 isn’t supported on new macs...
    The whole thing is build into my studio trailer motor home, so changing the mini would be easy, but I’ll lose the mixer. Perhaps I could toss it out if my 2 iPad Pros could somehow replace it... any ideas 💡?

Sounds like it’s working well for you already, so unless you need the speed boost maybe stick with what you have. Is it a software incompatibility with your soundcard? If so you could clone the drive onto an external SSD, and still get the speed boost.

It’s like this: the last working driver for the soundcard is for Mountain Lion. That’s if I want to use Pro Tools 10, wich I own. There is a newer driver, working in Sierra, but then I have to buy Pro Tools 12 (that driver doesn’t support PT10)... however... I’m suspecting the he’s macs will be delivered with Mojave... so... I think I’ll stick with the workhorse.

I read they made the mini the same form factor as before because of people like me, that has fitted it in a specific setup. Apple irony :)

When my mate setup my external music drive he installed Mountain Lion (I think, need to check). He told me Apple give you access to older versions of the OS. I don’t know much about this stuff but I can check if you like.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’m going to buy one, but must save some money first. Or rob a bank. I’m almost tempted go break bad setting up a meth lab 🧪 to get one. I’m salivating!

I’m using a Mac mini from mid 2011, running Pro Tools 10. My dilemma is that it’s still working like a charm, after I upgraded with 16 gigs and an ssd. And my controller soundcard mixer Digi 003 isn’t supported on new macs...
    The whole thing is build into my studio trailer motor home, so changing the mini would be easy, but I’ll lose the mixer. Perhaps I could toss it out if my 2 iPad Pros could somehow replace it... any ideas 💡?

Sounds like it’s working well for you already, so unless you need the speed boost maybe stick with what you have. Is it a software incompatibility with your soundcard? If so you could clone the drive onto an external SSD, and still get the speed boost.

It’s like this: the last working driver for the soundcard is for Mountain Lion. That’s if I want to use Pro Tools 10, wich I own. There is a newer driver, working in Sierra, but then I have to buy Pro Tools 12 (that driver doesn’t support PT10)... however... I’m suspecting the he’s macs will be delivered with Mojave... so... I think I’ll stick with the workhorse.

I read they made the mini the same form factor as before because of people like me, that has fitted it in a specific setup. Apple irony :)

When my mate setup my external music drive he installed Mountain Lion (I think, need to check). He told me Apple give you access to older versions of the OS. I don’t know much about this stuff but I can check if you like.

Unlikely.
    Older MacOS versions will usually be missing drivers for the new models.

• Older mac os versions are still available from Apple as newer os'es do not support older macs.

Sierra is still available for example.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

• @rs2000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

Unlikely.

Just checked and I'm runnining El Capitan on the SSL drive. Seems to run fine.

• @kuhl Blue, yes... My icon changed color. WTF? Maybe because I am a democrat at heart.

• edited November 2018

iFixIt published an article about upgrading memory yourself: https://ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Late+2018+Memory+Replacement/115309

• yeah ^ looks good! easy enough to replace the RAM.

And this video teardown confirmed that the SSD is soldered to the board, so no replacement possible.

• @rs2000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

Unlikely.

Here's a guide
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/macos-external-hard-drive-3659666/

You can even dual boot different OS versions from a single drive if you wish, but if it's an internal one that contains valuable data you need to take care not to destroy that data.

You really need to use a version that is compatible with your hardware system, so going back to versions prior to your systems release date is all but impossible, or highly problematic. Though it is sometimes possible to use a version that's new that wasn't released for your system.

• @Hmtx said:
    yeah ^ looks good! easy enough to replace the RAM.

And this video teardown confirmed that the SSD is soldered to the board, so no replacement possible.

Thanks for posting.

• @greengrocer said:

@rthr said:

@greengrocer said:
    Mojave is still buggy even Ableton doesn't run on it (yet). Enormous problem because 9 is incompatible with Mojave and 10 (the only Ableton version avaible) is still in beta. Most Macheads I know are still using El Capitan.

Doesn't run on Mojave? Live 10 (non-beta) over here works pretty good as far as I can tell...

From Ableton website:

macOS 10.14 "Mojave" Compatibility

Live 10 is not yet fully compatible with macOS Mojave.
    Live 9 is not compatible with macOS Mojave. The last OS version that is compatible with Live 9 is 10.13 "High Sierra".

Important: We advise users to wait until a fully compatible version of Live 10 is released before updating to macOS Mojave. Join the Live 10 Beta to receive the very latest updates.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001261150-MacOS-Compatibility

Tried an old project in Live 9 running on Mojave, nothing too extensive worked fine no crashes during my 60 minute test. May still be problematic but at least nothing that causes instant crashes.

• @knewspeak said:
    Tried an old project in Live 9 running on Mojave, nothing too extensive worked fine no crashes during my 60 minute test. May still be problematic but at least nothing that causes instant crashes.

Indeedy.

• Just wondering what I’d need to connect my monitor....the output is DVI and VGA, and I connect to my MacBook Pro using a Mini DisplayPort adapter. Would this fit the Thunderbolt socket (I’m guessing not), or would I need another adapter? If so, any recommendations?

• @MonzoPro how about something like this?

USB-C to DVI Adapter
    http://a.co/d/f67NBsG

• edited November 2018

@Hmtx said:
    @MonzoPro how about something like this?

USB-C to DVI Adapter
    http://a.co/d/f67NBsG

Ooh lovely, thank you. That’s a good price - is it ok to use non-Apple adapters though?

Update - read the reviews, plus a uk version, and it seems about 80% are happy with the non-Apple versions.

Funnily enough the problems some of them are reporting, are identical to one’s I have occasionally with my Apple adapter!

• Ifixit.com did their official teardown. And it gets a 6/10 repairability score. Not bad considering most Apple devices are much harder to repair. And anyway, I love the simplicity of a photo like this so here ya go...

• @MonzoPro said:

@rs2000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

Unlikely.

Just checked and I'm runnining El Capitan on the SSL drive. Seems to run fine.

No problem, I have mountain lion, but I don’t think the new macs will install it.

One thing to remember if you want to install an old os... is to set the computers clock back to between the dates the Zertifikat of the installer was working, or you’ll get an error & hell will rain down on you

• @knewspeak said:

@rs2000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Kühl said:

@MonzoPro said:

Unlikely.

Here's a guide
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/macos-external-hard-drive-3659666/

You can even dual boot different OS versions from a single drive if you wish, but if it's an internal one that contains valuable data you need to take care not to destroy that data.

You really need to use a version that is compatible with your hardware system, so going back to versions prior to your systems release date is all but impossible, or highly problematic. Though it is sometimes possible to use a version that's new that wasn't released for your system.

I do that from two internal drives. Dual booting is do easy on Mac because of the startup manager

• @Hmtx said:
    Ifixit.com did their official teardown. And it gets a 6/10 repairability score. Not bad considering most Apple devices are much harder to repair. And anyway, I love the simplicity of a photo like this so here ya go...

Was this reengineered from alien technology? Next it will be just a glowing orb with nothing inside.

• @LinearLineman said:

@Hmtx said:
    Ifixit.com did their official teardown. And it gets a 6/10 repairability score. Not bad considering most Apple devices are much harder to repair. And anyway, I love the simplicity of a photo like this so here ya go...

Was this reengineered from alien technology? Next it will be just a glowing orb with nothing inside.

No, not yet the organic part is missing. :p