Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LumiaFusion 1.7 Update.

Comments

• ah yes, such a great app!

No mention of external monitor support... I was hoping this would be in the 1.7 update, just as a hint of how USB-C might work on the new iPad Pro.

• Love this app although i severely underuse it’s power.

• They certainly, impressively, keep at it. I've really got to put the time in....

• I forgot which Youtuber I follow mentioned Storyblocks, but I never subscribed because it's $65/month for video, audio, and stock images, not to mention the limitations of Safari and the fact I'd have to use Documents as an extra step. Lumafusion has it for $69.99/year ($9.99/month). Even better that it's optional so I don't have to subscribe to use Luma as normal prior to 1.7 (although damn tempting to give Luma's Storyblocks a shot at least for a month).

• Here's something I did in Luma using videoclips from Youtube.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itc1bo6jvhdb8gv/Netta - Toy (JWM 'We Love the 90s' Remix).mp4?dl=0

(Remix was done in Gadget.)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I forgot which Youtuber I follow mentioned Storyblocks, but I never subscribed because it's $65/month for video, audio, and stock images, not to mention the limitations of Safari and the fact I'd have to use Documents as an extra step. Lumafusion has it for $69.99/year ($9.99/month). Even better that it's optional so I don't have to subscribe to use Luma as normal prior to 1.7 (although damn tempting to give Luma's Storyblocks a shot at least for a month).

Is there something in this update that effects functionality making it not worth Update?

• Yer I shrunk a bit when I saw the word subscription glad it’s optional. Update in now.

• edited November 2018

These guys are doing it right: no subscription necessary for full function of the app. And they keep improving the core app significantly.

If you want the subscription content, I'm sure Luma gets a small cut, but most of it probably goes to Storyblocks.

I hope this is a long-term sustainable model for Luma, cause its a great app and I hope it is maintained for a long time!

• Yeah nice to see an update. Still hoping for basic Premiere export/import options, stabilisation etc things like that.

• They keep breaking what is working fine but Luma is the best video editor to date on iOS

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I forgot which Youtuber I follow mentioned Storyblocks, but I never subscribed because it's $65/month for video, audio, and stock images, not to mention the limitations of Safari and the fact I'd have to use Documents as an extra step. Lumafusion has it for $69.99/year ($9.99/month). Even better that it's optional so I don't have to subscribe to use Luma as normal prior to 1.7 (although damn tempting to give Luma's Storyblocks a shot at least for a month).

I found a shortcut that lets you download things in safari instead of only previewing them. First download the shortcuts app from the App Store. Download this shortcut https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/be64934bfffb43eea7bda725d3df313f
    Then add it to the share sheet inside of safari. Next time you’re previewing something, you should be able to download it. Works fine for me

• @Hmtx said:
    ah yes, such a great app!

No mention of external monitor support... I was hoping this would be in the 1.7 update, just as a hint of how USB-C might work on the new iPad Pro.

An Apple TV connected to a monitor or tv works, but the new iPad Pro does connect to an external monitor. I love everything about the new one except them removing the headphone jack.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah nice to see an update. Still hoping for basic Premiere export/import options, stabilisation etc things like that.

Yup. + many.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Are you telling me, that it was bad to upgrade to the latest version?

• @tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Are you telling me, that it was bad to upgrade to the latest version?

It's GOOD to upgrade. The Storyblocks library is an OPTIONAL subscription. There are several new nifty features that are FREE.

• So, just to be clear for anyone who doesn’t want to watch th commercial above for the video clips subscriptions stuff...No...auv3 is still not implemented back in. As the leader of the free world says, #SAD

• @boone51 said:
    So, just to be clear for anyone who doesn’t want to watch th commercial above for the video clips subscriptions stuff...No...auv3 is still not implemented back in. As the leader of the free world says, #SAD

now I'm sad about something I never even knew about ! they had AUv3 ???

• Omg who cares about AU3? Do your audio stuff in an audio app :D

I’m happy to see sort fields finally put in. It’s bad enough videos have alphanumeric generated titles that are incomprehensible to humans but they got lumped in to Luma in no apparent order. Now I know which ones are which according to date stamp and size.

• yeah of course, but the convenience of AUv3 inside a video editor would be :+1: :+1:

• @Hmtx said:
    yeah of course, but the convenience of AUv3 inside a video editor would be :+1: :+1:

You’ve got gain control and some basic EQ for audio fx. I can’t see how any AU FX would make things more convenient. Despite Luma being better than IMovie it’s timeline editor is very basic and fiddly. I think you’ve only got a maximum of 4 audio and video tracks combined. Just because this is capable of editing audio, do not confuse it with a DAW.

• edited November 2018

@Hmtx said:
    yeah of course, but the convenience of AUv3 inside a video editor would be :+1: :+1:

Was excited at first... but trust me... it sounds a lot cooler that it really was in actual practice. And, it opened up a lot more unwanted cans of worms trying to be an AUv3 host within a video editing app. I'm glad they took it off.

• Of course there are basics included, and they are good. The point is that apparently AUv3 support was there (beta? @boone51 ) and they took it out.

It would be great to just throw in some better FX real quick, ProQ-2 on a video clip and be done. There are times where you just don't want or need a full DAW.

(by the way, why are we arguing about extra features? I'll never use Storyblocks, but I'm not going to complain about Luma adding in a feature that will be no doubt used by others... )

• @Hmtx said:
    (by the way, why are we arguing about extra features? I'll never use Storyblocks, but I'm not going to complain about Luma adding in a feature that will be no doubt used by others... )

Because it can be a nightmare for the developer to maintain AUv3 hosting. Every time some AUv3 isn't working right they get a flood of support tickets claiming there's something wrong with Luma. It takes away from time spent making the video editing part of the software as stable and slick as possible.

The Storyblocks is an effort to keep their company sustainable without going the app subscription route. There's good stuff in the Storyblocks library and it's a good deal if you do a lot of editing. I wish you could use watermarked versions of the clips for client approval first though.

• @Hmtx said:

@boone51 said:
    So, just to be clear for anyone who doesn’t want to watch th commercial above for the video clips subscriptions stuff...No...auv3 is still not implemented back in. As the leader of the free world says, #SAD

It was in for like one update last year and then they removed it. I use the video import feature in Auria for any audio needs when it comes to video. Reminds me of Pro Tools

• Yeah I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting to have AUv3 in it, actually it would be. But if it's inclusion kills the stability of it's primary tool set then it's not worth it.

I do think there are more important things required first, but having it would great for experimenting with audio and image at the same time and yeah tidying up some audio on an imported video file. So I hope they go back to it if it can work properly.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@Hmtx said:

@boone51 said:

It was in for like one update last year and then they removed it. I use the video import feature in Auria for any audio needs when it comes to video. Reminds me of Pro Tools

At first, I was like "Oh cool! AUv3 in Luma! Yay!" And then I tried it...

For making audio mixes with a video reference, I like the video import in Auria better.

• @skiphunt said:

I still hope they make it happen though eventually :)

Sometimes it's necessary to work that around for an edit, especially in film making with sound effects/ sound design. Not necessarily the finished master but you don't always want to hop back to a DAW to try something out..especially not on an ipad.

Unfortunately video playback in audio software is pretty crude. That's why desktop apps like Premiere support vsts etc, so no reason why Lumafusion shouldn't if it doesn't break the app.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

Sometimes it's necessary to work that around for an edit, especially in film making with sound effects/ sound design. Not necessarily the finished master but you don't always want to hop back to a DAW to try something out..especially not on an ipad.

Unfortunately video playback in audio software is pretty crude. That's why desktop apps like Premiere support vsts etc, so no reason why Lumafusion shouldn't if it doesn't break the app.

Picture this... you've been working on a video edit for 5hours. You've got all the timing right, all the transitions nudged where you want them, your title animations are perfect, etc.

Then, you get the idea to try out a few AUv3s to experiment a little, and the whole thing crashes. The project file is corrupt and won't reopen. You panic, you're sending support emails to Luma... they scramble to figure out what's going on with their video editing code, etc.

Later, you realize it was that one rogue weirdo AUv3 audio effect that hasn't been maintained or updated in a couple years.

They might put it back in. Who knows. When they removed it, they said it was temporary, but I don't know if it'll come back. In practice, I didn't like the inclusion within their video editing interface. That's my opinion and my preference. I'm not "arguing" with anyone.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

Picture this... you've been working on a video edit for 5hours. You've got all the timing right, all the transitions nudged where you want them, your title animations are perfect, etc.

Then, you get the idea to try out a few AUv3s to experiment a little, and the whole thing crashes. The project file is corrupt and won't reopen. You panic, you're sending support emails to Luma... they scramble to figure out what's going on with their video editing code, etc.

Later, you realize it was that one rogue weirdo AUv3 audio effect that hasn't been maintained or updated in a couple years.

They might put it back in. Who knows. When they removed it, they said it was temporary, but I don't know if it'll come back. In practice, I didn't like the inclusion within their video editing interface. That's my opinion and my preference. I'm not "arguing" with anyone.

Agreed, that’s my preference too, it’s only worth it if it’s not crashing, and hosting audio takes up a lot of resources so they were right to remove it for now. I’d prefer to see more video options first anyway.

• edited November 2018

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

Agreed, that’s my preference too, it’s only worth it if it’s not crashing, and hosting audio takes up a lot of resources so they were right to remove it for now. I’d prefer to see more video options first anyway.

Agreed as well... I was hoping for layer effects this time. They're coming though. I'm also excited about external monitor support, even via airplay in near real time... and even without the latest Pro ipads. But, that's likely going to be an IAP.

It could also be their implementation of the AUv3 audio hosting within their interface could've been handled in a different way. I'm not an app interface designer, but I know from testing.... many devs find many genius ways to handle UI that I never would've thought of myself. Could be they find a great way to roll it back in at some point.