Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Slight ear loss on one side and headphones/iems

edited November 2018 in Other

I’ve got a slight ear loss on right ear, mostly with mids frequencies. So I tend to hear louder on left ear.

With iPhone EarPods I notice some imbalance but after some minutes I don’t feel it anymore.

My Supelux HD681EVO is slightly louder (around 1.2 dB) on left can like most headphones, so I just reverse it on my head and it’s ok.

With my Shure se215+spe it’s more noticeable as they’re perfectly closed iems. I’ve tried to use iPhone balance setting in accessibility but this one is not very accurate around center, and first setting available on the right make the sound slightly too loud on right ear. And using it seems to alter dynamics. Again it’s a small ear loss, but I’m very pressure sensitive and finicky about panning, that can really disturb me.

Too bad there is no app utility for that. Much more easier to make some corrections on my laptop.

As I imagine I’m not the only musician with this kind of ears issue, how do you manage that? Do you make balance corrections or do you let your brain adapt itself?

Comments

• edited November 2018

This has been fixed by using different foam sleeves sizes on right and left Shure SE215+SPE iems, different ears canals sizes now seal is similar on both sides and audio is centered. Can’t recommend enough those iems.

• edited November 2018

@Janosax said:
    This has been fixed by using different foam sleeves sizes on right and left Shure SE215+SPE iems, different ears canals sizes now seal is similar on both sides and audio is centered. Can’t recommend enough those items.

I might look into that. My right ear is damaged, courtesy of a music app, plus a bit of tinnitus. I either try and ignore the difference, or more usually now, use external speakers.

• I think you guys mean hearing loss. Ear loss is what Van Gogh suffered from. Sorry for dumb joke. I suffer too after years of playing in bands. Have terrible tinnitus too. I guess I did it to myself, just like Van Gogh!

• On the Mac, my solution has been to capture system audio through Audio Hijack and through a custom setting in Pro-Q2 that compensates for the hi-freq loss in my left ear.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Janosax said:
    This has been fixed by using different foam sleeves sizes on right and left Shure SE215+SPE iems, different ears canals sizes now seal is similar on both sides and audio is centered. Can’t recommend enough those items.

I might look into that. My right ear is damaged, courtesy of a music app, plus a bit of tinnitus. I either try and ignore the difference, or more usually now, use external speakers.

What app?

• Meneir’s?

• @BroCoast said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Janosax said:

What app?

I’ve mentioned it in other threads if you do a search. I’m not being deliberately obtuse, I just don’t want people to think I’m bashing the dev at every opportunity, as his other apps are favourites of mine.

I do recommend people are careful listening to apps via earbuds though - another app (different dev) I was using yesterday gave a massive spike in volume at one point - fortunately I was using the speaker, not phones. I don’t use one, but I think limiters are pretty essential when using some apps.

• Umm if you actually got hearing damage, that's no good. I don't think it could be seen as bashing because you have to have the volume up pretty high to do that.

Eg. I have no qualms in saying I don't use Audiobus or AUM to avoid hearing damage. I don't say that to bash those apps. They're just the only ones I have used that make a horrible loud noise when an app crashes inside of them.

PM the name if you want? I'm just curious, it won't effect my opinion of the app.

• @overorange said:
    On the Mac, my solution has been to capture system audio through Audio Hijack and through a custom setting in Pro-Q2 that compensates for the hi-freq loss in my left ear.

Wow.

Great idea.

I can't tell if my ear "pain" "ache" is sinus related, ear bud irritated, or actual audio damage.

I know that the one Apesoft app accident did some damage one time or two.

BUT, nothing more than a lifetime playing music, DJin', working in clubs/bars, and growing up in musical family also didn't contribute to.