Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elsa AUv3 arrives

124»

Comments

• @slicetwo You can drag-n-drop from Files.app (in SlideOver Mode) to elsa/tardigrain AU (in AUM).
    Individually drag the sample and the 'synth parameter' file. (Both files have the same preset name).

On the iPad Mini's, you'll have to 'touch' the destination (elsa/tardigrain AU GUI) while dragging the file from Files.app (in Slideover Mode). On the bigger iPads, that's not necessary.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Can you use this as an auv3 effect to record, say, a Model 15 bassline, then have it loop with the rest of the track without lots of trimming and whatnot? That’s what I’ve been looking for in other apps, plenty of which don’t really do this effectively. AUM can do this itself but the process is not brilliant in terms of workflow.

• @ocelot said:
    @slicetwo You can drag-n-drop from Files.app (in SlideOver Mode) to elsa/tardigrain AU (in AUM).
    Individually drag the sample and the 'synth parameter' file. (Both files have the same preset name).

On the iPad Mini's, you'll have to 'touch' the destination (elsa/tardigrain AU GUI) while dragging the file from Files.app (in Slideover Mode). On the bigger iPads, that's not necessary.

Thanks! I ended up reaching out to the dev with a bunch of questions. I'm newish to iOS's new features (haven't had an iDevice since the iPhone 4) so I had no idea about the drag and drop thing.

• @EyeOhEss

needs to step up his game with the presets export/import implementation

I may be incorrect, but I think this has something to do with apple’s rules regarding preset implementation. I think most developers have had to figure out a workaround to allow presets to be used in multiple hosts.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @audio_DT said:
    Can you use this as an auv3 effect to record, say, a Model 15 bassline, then have it loop with the rest of the track without lots of trimming

Yes.

Can’t midi control the record button though ( unless I’ve missed a method from within AUM ). Midi control of the record button would make the process faster.

Still, it can be done in a faster/easier manner than AUM ( ime ).

Also, the new AU mfx extension is cool.

• edited May 2019

@slicetwo said:

1. I made some cool presets in the standalone that don't show up in the AU in AUM. Is that on purpose?

Apple AUv3 limitation I believe.

The following suggestion is for others that come across this thread.

Ocelot’s suggestion is great.

Here is another sample import method;

Import a sample into the standalone elsa.

Tap in the top left corner and select ‘copy’, under the heading ‘AUv3 Transfer’.

Open elsa AUv3 in your AU host , tap in the left corner and select ‘Paste’, under the heading ‘AUv3 Transfer’.

This imports the sample only.

Modify your controls as desired, and save state with your chosen preset name.

I suspect that slicetwo is utilising the technique I’ve described.

• @frond said:

@audio_DT said:
    Can you use this as an auv3 effect to record, say, a Model 15 bassline, then have it loop with the rest of the track without lots of trimming

Yes.

Can’t midi control the record button though ( unless I’ve missed a method from within AUM ). Midi control of the record button would make the process faster.

Still, it can be done in a faster/easier manner than AUM ( ime ).

Also, the new AU mfx extension is cool.

Thanks. I’ll give it a go, then, and see if it’s quicker than the usual AUM recording method :smile:

• If possible can anyone upload a screenshot of the sampler keyboard and a workflow video. I can’t find any pics at all via google or good videos.
    Thanks in advance.

• edited May 2019

@stormbeats said:
    If possible can anyone upload a screenshot of the sampler keyboard and a workflow video. I can’t find any pics at all via google or good videos.
    Thanks in advance.

I can at least try to explain how it works :)
    The built-in keyboard is split in to 12 'keys' that can contain multiple octaves per key.

Here 1 octave is selected and covers the whole key.

Here 4 octaves are selected and the area is vertically 'split'

(Notice how the highlighted key area is not as big).

As for the different play-modes, it is selected by the circled icon.

Worth to note is that that its one sample per instance.
    The different play modes allow one to choose which parts of the sample to use per key or octave.

In order to select what gets played in 'keys' or 'octave' mode tap on the key and change the start & end points for it.
    Select the next key and repeat the start & end selections. Same goes for 'octaves'.

It is possible to tune each key swiping the number next to the up arrow in the sample window.

As usual with Humble Tune apps it takes a while to 'get it' but once it clicks it's easy...
    Then again it being AUv3 there is no need to use the built-in keyboard if it feels intimidating :)

Good Luck!

• edited May 2019

@Samu thanks very much as always. :-)

• edited May 2019

@stormbeats said:

You're welcome!
    If a 'drum kit' is needed, just record the samples one after another other and select the start & end and tuning for each key. Easiest way is to sequence them in another app and render/export as a sample.

And here we have another 'gotcha' with elsa. It has no import from Files.app in the AUv3 only AudioPaste...
    Apparently the Files.app slide-over works with Drag-n-Drop to Elsa YAY!

So, in order to import a sample into the AUv3 it needs to be loaded in the stand-alone, then 'copy' and in the AUv3 paste.
    And even here the sample has to either be sent using 'Open In...' to elsa or by using AudioPaste... (At least last time I checked, it might have gotten AudioShare support but since I mostly use it to sample stuff I've not checked).

I've yet to play around with elsa in apeMatrix but in AUM if sampling is needed it needs to be in the 'effect' slot.
    Also in Cubasis it might be a bit of a pita as it is for now lacking in the audio & midi routing department...

Elsa does get some time to get used to but once it clicks it's quite fun to work with.

I do wish that the preset management would be improved so that the AUv3 and StandAlone could share the user presets without hassle. Because of this I seldom use the stand-alone app at all...

The 'effects' in elsa add a nice touch to the samples, gritty bit-reduction with multiple reduction modes some kind of 'filter' and the Reverb can sound huge. Adjusting these parameters get some time to get used to as well...
    (So many 'hidden' swipe controls in the UI it's crazy).

As always every single app I touch I find plenty of areas for improvements arghhhhhhhh...

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

And here we have another 'gotcha' with elsa. It has no import from Files.app in the AUv3 only AudioPaste...

Elsa AU has drag and drop support from Files app, just open Files in slide over view :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

Elsa AU has drag and drop support from Files app, just open Files in slide over view :)

Thanks! I've totally missed that one :)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

Thanks! I've totally missed that one :)

Yeah easy to miss especially as I don’t find starting apps in slide over that intuitive, hope Apple improves this.

• @Carnbot said:

Yeah easy to miss especially as I don’t find starting apps in slide over that intuitive, hope Apple improves this.

Next week it's time to see what iOS13 will bring...
    ...mostly I'm interested if my trusty iPad AIr 2 will get iOS 13 support or not :)
    (The prices on the new iPad Air are already starting to go down here in Sweden so).

Regarding Files.app support I think the 'proper' way to do this would to be able to launch the Files.app browser from within the UI like AudioDamage does with Quanta and 4Pockets with Chameleon among others.

Hopefully Files.app (and it's slide over) will get a better way to 'preview' files as well.

Most apps have unfortunately 'open in place' enabled in their Files.app support which makes previewing files with 'Force Touch' on the iPhone a but tricky, force-touch does preview the file but also opens it arghhhh...

But anyways, that's for the tip, it's easy to miss :)

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:

You're welcome!
    If a 'drum kit' is needed, just record the samples one after another other and select the start & end and tuning for each key. Easiest way is to sequence them in another app and render/export as a sample.

Apparently the Files.app slide-over works with Drag-n-Drop to Elsa YAY!

So, in order to import a sample into the AUv3 it needs to be loaded in the stand-alone, then 'copy' and in the AUv3 paste.
    And even here the sample has to either be sent using 'Open In...' to elsa or by using AudioPaste... (At least last time I checked, it might have gotten AudioShare support but since I mostly use it to sample stuff I've not checked).

I've yet to play around with elsa in apeMatrix but in AUM if sampling is needed it needs to be in the 'effect' slot.
    Also in Cubasis it might be a bit of a pita as it is for now lacking in the audio & midi routing department...

Elsa does get some time to get used to but once it clicks it's quite fun to work with.

I do wish that the preset management would be improved so that the AUv3 and StandAlone could share the user presets without hassle. Because of this I seldom use the stand-alone app at all...

The 'effects' in elsa add a nice touch to the samples, gritty bit-reduction with multiple reduction modes some kind of 'filter' and the Reverb can sound huge. Adjusting these parameters get some time to get used to as well...
    (So many 'hidden' swipe controls in the UI it's crazy).

As always every single app I touch I find plenty of areas for improvements arghhhhhhhh...

@Samu thanks again dude Very much valued info :-)

• elsa can be a MFX too (a MIDI music effect AU). That means you can load elsa AU into an FX slot, and play it via MIDI, as if it were in the instrument slot. And while it's in the FX slot, it can record from a synth that's in the instrument slot. (Press the pink dot to record. Press the Mic icon to monitor incoming audio).

Here I loaded a pad in Factory, and turned off the Envelope>Audio Output assignment (right side of Factory below master volume) so that it drones. Record it in elsa. Play elsa with Thesys sequencer (or Rozeta, etc.).

elsa is mono only though. It has a nice reverb and bit crusher that can be used as a regular FX AU too (The filter seems to only work on samples inside of elsa).

Plus you can play the samples in elsa (with Thesys or Rozeta), while also effecting the synth that it's monitoring.

• I started to use e-l-s-a. And l have an question. I could sampling with e-l-s-a IAA or standalone. But AUv3 is not. How can l import a sample sound to AUv3 e-l-s-a with out mic input? :o

• @swiperrr said:
    I started to use e-l-s-a. And l have an question. I could sampling with e-l-s-a IAA or standalone. But AUv3 is not. How can l import a sample sound to AUv3 e-l-s-a with out mic input? :o

You can put e-l-s-a in effects slot if you need to sample.
    It's also possible to use the Files.app pop-over and do drag-n-drop to e-l-s-a AUv3 from here.

• @ocelot said:
    elsa can be a MFX too (a MIDI music effect AU). That means you can load elsa AU into an FX slot, and play it via MIDI, as if it were in the instrument slot. And while it's in the FX slot, it can record from a synth that's in the instrument slot. (Press the pink dot to record. Press the Mic icon to monitor incoming audio).

Here I loaded a pad in Factory, and turned off the Envelope>Audio Output assignment (right side of Factory below master volume) so that it drones. Record it in elsa. Play elsa with Thesys sequencer (or Rozeta, etc.).

elsa is mono only though. It has a nice reverb and bit crusher that can be used as a regular FX AU too (The filter seems to only work on samples inside of elsa).

Plus you can play the samples in elsa (with Thesys or Rozeta), while also effecting the synth that it's monitoring.

Thanks for the tip !

• @Samu said:

@swiperrr said:
    I started to use e-l-s-a. And l have an question. I could sampling with e-l-s-a IAA or standalone. But AUv3 is not. How can l import a sample sound to AUv3 e-l-s-a with out mic input? :o

You can put e-l-s-a in effects slot if you need to sample.
    It's also possible to use the Files.app pop-over and do drag-n-drop to e-l-s-a AUv3 from here.

Thank you :) I could do both. Especially drag and drop is nice!