Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elsa AUv3 arrives

Comments

• @skiphunt said:

@Philippe said:
    The standalone iaa could be placed in effect slots to record audio direct’y which was a killer function.
    Do the auv3 has that? Or do the standalone still working after update?

Standalone still works. And you can load it into both instrument AND effects slots... as either IAA or AUv3

Cool, Thanks!

• This is nice! Love this dev’s work! As AUv3 this will see lots more use :D

(Small feature request: AudioShare support! AudioCopy is such a PITA.. )

• Much love for Elsa.

I hope more developers will support this new “drag & drop” mode in the future. When you use the files app in slide-over mode, you can also listen to your audiofiles before importing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yay Humbletunes!👏

• @Dawdles said:

@Proto said:
    Much love for Elsa.

I hope more developers will support this new “drag & drop” mode in the future. When you use the files app in slide-over mode, you can also listen to your audiofiles before importing.

Audition and drag and drop? Sweet! Is slide-over mode iPad only? I never used it before on either iPad or phone...need to go check it out :)

Not sure about the iPhone, but the iPad Air 2 and later models support “slide over” and “split view”. Tardigrain works the same and the best part is you don’t need to use audioshare anymore. :smiley:

• Does this support iCloud? I’ve been spoilt recently by the perfect iCloud support in audiolayer.

• Seems really cool, not so much videos about it...My only concern would be the import feature not using AudioShare...

• @crony said:
    Seems really cool, not so much videos about it...My only concern would be the import feature not using AudioShare...

Files from AudioShare can be accessed via the Files.app 'pop-over' from both the stand-alone app and the AUv3.
    Don't even know if it's possible to add direct AudioShare support into an AUv3...

• @Samu thanks for the input...
    So seems a very simple sampler AUv3 with automatic timestretch...
    I'm very tempted...

• @crony said:
    @Samu thanks for the input...
    I'm very tempted...

It’s great to sample from ipad mic. You have to put it in the fx slot for that though, if you use the auv3 in AUM.

With the bitcrush,filter and reverb onboard everything sounds dreamy.

Very good simple interface.

• @pierre I'd like to import my samples mostly, but I guess I might used that way...

• One of the best apps made better.

• @Philippe said:
    The standalone iaa could be placed in effect slots to record audio direct’y which was a killer function.

@skiphunt said:

@Philippe said:

Standalone still works. And you can load it into both instrument AND effects slots... as either IAA or AUv3

To make sure im understanding yall...in aum i can load up a synth app and below that, in the effects slot, load elsa to record and loop the synth above??

• edited November 2018

@breilly said:
    To make sure im understanding yall...in aum i can load up a synth app and below that, in the effects slot, load elsa to record and loop the synth above??

Yes.

Another option in AUM is to bus send the synth, sampler, live input, to another channel that contains elsa in the effects slot. Then you can monitor what you are recording into elsa.

• @frond said:

@breilly said:

Yes.

Another option in AUM is to bus send the synth, sampler, live input, to another channel that contains elsa in the effects slot. Then you can monitor what you are recording into elsa.

I’m sold thx so much!

• @pierre said:

@crony said:
    @Samu thanks for the input...
    I'm very tempted...

It’s great to sample from ipad mic. You have to put it in the fx slot for that though, if you use the auv3 in AUM.

With the bitcrush,filter and reverb onboard everything sounds dreamy.

Very good simple interface.

Thanks for the tip!

• @frond said:

That worked to record. To now switch Elsa over a use that recorded sample what are the proper steps? I'm guessing you need to load Elsa into the Instrument slot so I did that but the sample recorded gets lost.

If there's a way to route MIDI control to the FX Elsa and hear the sample just recorded it would be a lot more useful. Is that possible.

I'm going through the same process with "Samplist" and it doesn't even show as an IAA FX in AUM. It might in AB3 but rather frustrating and any clues appreciated to see how to work with these new Sampler purchases. I have a few days before giving up and requesting a refund.

For what I like Samplist seems to hit close to the mark (making clones of existing App presets) and Elsa is more of a Granular Synthesis sounding "instrument" if anyone is one the on the fence and has a preference.

I'm thinking making samples in AudioShare and loading them into these apps is the simplest approach and do them in batches since the file loading options seem to be limited in these apps.

Recommending workflows would be helpful.

• Argh...Almost perfect : it does sample in mono, not stereo !!!
    Maybe something that might be added in the futur...

• edited November 2018

Does anyone know where the recorded/imported samples are stored when used as an AU?

• @skiphunt said:
    I hope @humbletune is working on a new app for me to buy. I already own all of his and love every one.

Agreed :wink:

• @McDtracy said:

I hope to have a moment to address some of your questions later today.

• @frond said:

@McDtracy said:

I hope to have a moment to address some of your questions later today.

Thanks. I have turned off all the effects and there still seems to be an LFO running garbling my samples output. I'm eager to hear a sample that gets pitch shifted without any effects. Is that possible?

• @McDtracy said:

i know that the devloper, ERik, is busy with app developement and a new job, but, i'll ask him if he has time to visit the forum.

unaffected samples? yes.

elsa has an lfo for the bit/sample crush and another for the filter. set them zero, or turn the mix to zero.

a pic to use as reference;

the pink line, under the tiny squares icon, indicates that bit/sample crush has been chosen.

the tiny white horizontal line, on the left, is the crusher mix. drag it down to zero. the bit/sample crush is now off. so is it's lfo.

if you want to hear the bit/sample crush without the lfo, tap the curved line in the middle of the window and drag to the left bottom. that motion will turn off the lfo, without turning off the bit/sample crush. when you tap on the line, you will see headings with numbers for lfo freq in hz, and lfo amount in percentage.

the circle, that is movable up/down, left/right, controls bit crush (left/right), sample rate (up/down).

this approach is applicable to the filter as well.

does that help?

• @frond said:

@McDtracy said:

i know that the devloper, ERik, is busy with app developement and a new job, but, i'll ask him if he has time to visit the forum.

unaffected samples? yes.

elsa has an lfo for the bit/sample crush and another for the filter. set them zero, or turn the mix to zero.

a pic to use as reference;

the pink line, under the tiny squares icon, indicates that bit/sample crush has been chosen.

the tiny white horizontal line, on the left, is the crusher mix. drag it down to zero. the bit/sample crush is now off. so is it's lfo.

if you want to hear the bit/sample crush without the lfo, tap the curved line in the middle of the window and drag to the left bottom. that motion will turn off the lfo, without turning off the bit/sample crush. when you tap on the line, you will see headings with numbers for lfo freq in hz, and lfo amount in percentage.

the circle, that is movable up/down, left/right, controls bit crush (left/right), sample rate (up/down).

this approach is applicable to the filter as well.

does that help?

I think so... I was assuming that the ball in the lower left turned off that Effect completely. I didn't notice that little line.

• @McDtracy

your other questions;

i just tried midi control of elsa fx (auv3 and iaa) and it appears that the fx version of elsa can't be controlled via midi. at least not in AUM. i will try in audiobus 3 when time permits.

midi control of the fx would be a nice feature. you should make the request with Erik. i will also ask.

though elsa fx can be used to record, import, and play (via elsa built in keyboard), i've typically used elsa fx for processing other instruments/loops. i use the instrument for importing samples/recording of samples.

audioshare to prepare and import samples to elsa;

that's how i do it. in ios 12 you have access to the files.app for moving samples around, perhaps this makes things easier. i've tried the files.app/ios 12 a few times on the newer ipad, but tend i use my older iphone/ipad (pre ios12) for music.

samu mentioned some useful information regarding files.app earlier in the thread.

i explained how to import samples into the au instrument on page one of the thread.

with regard to elsa being a 'Granular Synthesis sounding instrument';

i don't hear it that way. perhaps you have the reverb on? there are 3 loop modes that can affect how your sample sounds. is your pitch length compensation on, or off? pitch length compensation can affect how your sample sounds, and it works in conjunction with the loop mode. are you using the sample divider mode? that will also affect how your sample sounds, and works in conjunction with the other modes. select the number 1 only, at least until you grasp the sample divider mode. also, set sample mode to the keyboard icon, play in that setting before you try the other modes. what types of samples are you loading? single cycle waveforms? one shot percussive? one shot sustaining synthetic sounds? one shot traditional instruments? drumloops? any of those types can sound as you expect them to, or can be transformed into a sound you might not be expecting. elsa can be used for sample playback, or sample manipulation. elsa can be used for exploring more than one genre of music.

if the forum rules allow it, i'll upload a few presets. i'll use the same sample to demonstrate how the different modes can drastically affect the sound. i'll make sure that one of those presets demonstrates a 'traditional sample player', as i feel that might be what you're after McDtracy.

if i can find time, i'll do a video. there are few videos that demo elsa, let alone demo it's full capabilities. i'm not promising, but i'll try.

more questions? i'll try to help :)

i'm not sure if you were talking about giving up on elsa?? stick with it. it's deceptively simple looking, but it's not simple. still, once you figure out how to get it to do what you expect, the rest will fall into place. then it will seem easy ;-)

• @McDtracy said:

I think so... I was assuming that the ball in the lower left turned off that Effect completely. I didn't notice that little line.

the ball shuts off the effect, touching the line and dragging your finger down and to the left shuts off the lfo, the mix slider at zero shuts off the effect and the lfo. the mix at zero is an easy way to shut it all off.

• This app is sounding damn good. I’ve owned it for a year or so now and never clicked with it but just made a beautiful patch from some overtone singing. Love it and Tardigrain!